Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Ripper's List: The Top 5 Hardcore PVP MMOs of All Time

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2015 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : Ripper's List: The Top 5 Hardcore PVP MMOs of All Time

Free MMORPG List and MMO Games at MMORPG.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    By your definition: Hardcore PvP= Full Loot? Otherwise Guild Wars 1 had one of the best PvP made.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    He did say the most harshest rule sets and Full loot is pretty brutal, don't think you can get worse than that, unless you lose your character completely . Don't think he said the best PvP either, only most brutal.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Surprised Darkfall made the top spot...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    I am liking the new RipperX... Much more in your face as opposed to when he sounded like a cheesy radio DJ. Also great list... And while not "Hardcore" by the ruleset standard mentioned DAoC should get an honorable mention esp Mordred/Andred servers.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Great list, great games. I miss Shadowbane. :(

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    You know what I always say..... PeeeeeeeeeeeVeeeeeeeeeeePeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224
    Wighty said:
    I am liking the new RipperX... Much more in your face as opposed to when he sounded like a cheesy radio DJ. Also great list... And while not "Hardcore" by the ruleset standard mentioned DAoC should get an honorable mention esp Mordred/Andred servers.
    Hey Wighty, Thanks for the kind words my friend. DaoC is hands down one of my favorite games/mmo's ever played. It wasn't on the list for your exact reason, "not hardcore" based on the rule set of the list. That said, I have another pvp list I'm working on and believe me, DaoC is on it. Also honorable mentions if we had a top 7 list instead of a top 5 would be Lineage 2 and Runescape. /Hugs RipX
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2015
    Yes this version of Ripper is the one that should have always been here,i approve.

However as to these so called best pvp games,ZERO tactics,if you notice players are just standing out in the open across from each other spamming.

I can't say anything good about any rpg pvp,you can't do it properly in that genre.

If i showed a video of two players in what i call the best pvp ever "UT99" or even from the second best Quake,you would see a massive difference in the skill needed to be good at pvp.

In all these games the skill is more about spamming and just rushing out in the open like a dummy.Eve of course does not have that for obvious reasons,it is a slow ship based on far away combat and relying on setup and using that setup.I don't liek that type of pvp either,i don't want my gear to ever be a part of the pvp,i just want my wits versus my opponents wits.

PS can i fire whomever's idea it was to use this website?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Darkscape has come out. That is full loot PVP.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TemperHSTemperHS Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I couldn't agree more, your picks match my own. Darkfall truly was an amazing experience for hardcore pvp enthusiasts, unmatched still to this day in my opinion. I really wish they hadn't gone the route they have, DFUW just isn't the same despite the similarities.
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Another major agreement for Darkfall Online. It is a game other PvP games should be measured by. @redrip best video so far!

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

TemperHS said:
    I couldn't agree more, your picks match my own. Darkfall truly was an amazing experience for hardcore pvp enthusiasts, unmatched still to this day in my opinion. I really wish they hadn't gone the route they have, DFUW just isn't the same despite the similarities.
    Sadly they tried to simplify the game, I did enjoy DFUW but it wasn't the same whatsoever compared to the original. It was kind of reminiscent of how Asherons Call decided to simplify Asherons Call 2 compared to the original, and it ended up completely failing. There will be another Darkfall, somewhere, someday, I hold hope... :)
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Darkfall "peak" the first 10 days after launch basically.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2015
    Great video. I'm thinking you left out some of the survival mmo's that are out now. A lot of them are full loot open pvp. But they could rate their own ranking.

Also loved that dialup modem sound, brought back a lot of memories, I'm going to have to make it my ringtone.  :-)
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    TemperHS said:
    Can't tell you how much I want to log in to that glorious game. It kills me that all of that is but a memory. I'll never forget Agon.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited October 2015
    I played UO for years (started first day of release), and beta tested Darkfall. Darkfall definitely had some good stuff for PvP. Dropping arrows over hills to kill a fleeing PKer, things like that. But UO had a much more developed world. And for some reason that gave me much more of a rush in PvP. It was like I wanted to be doing what I was doing at the time of being attacked much more so than Darkfall. So getting attacked (or I suppose attacking if you were a PKer) just felt more important, more "real". Still, I long for the open PvP game with a working justice system of clear punishment (if caught up with) to hold down the rampant PKing.

Once upon a time....

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Surprised Darkfall made the top spot...
    I expected it was either gonna be Ultima or Darkfall as number 1, Darkfall was an amazing game when it had the population to go with it. Although the devs wernt great the game itself was great. I suspect if it had a better dev team it would of lasted a hell of alot longer than it did.
    redrip said:
    Wighty said:
    Hey Wighty, Thanks for the kind words my friend. DaoC is hands down one of my favorite games/mmo's ever played. It wasn't on the list for your exact reason, "not hardcore" based on the rule set of the list. That said, I have another pvp list I'm working on and believe me, DaoC is on it. Also honorable mentions if we had a top 7 list instead of a top 5 would be Lineage 2 and Runescape. /Hugs RipX
    Speaking of runescape it came out with a new PvP game type called darkscape where its pretty much PvP anywhere, and you have access to all member things and can pretty much killed anyone anywhere within your level (Higher level difference further from town you go) and you drop everything but 2-3items when you die.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Anyone else notice how old most of those games are? Like the older hardcore PvE games like EQ, the market for these hardcore PvP games has just vanished. It's all bland, casual friendly crap now. The chances of seeing anything "hardcore", be it PvP or PvE, any time soon is practically nil.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Nice, add Wushu to your list!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Anyone else notice how old most of those games are? Like the older hardcore PvE games like EQ, the market for these hardcore PvP games has just vanished. It's all bland, casual friendly crap now. The chances of seeing anything "hardcore", be it PvP or PvE, any time soon is practically nil.
    It's not Nil but its a risk. Game companies are afraid to take risks the majority of the time and are trying to please everyone, therefore making generic games that can be bland and recycled. There's definitely a market for PVP Games and I'm sure we will see more, but they don't tend to come around very often...For 2016 I'm definitely keeping an eye for Crowfall, Gloria Victis and Camelot Unchained, we shall see how they progress.
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    edited October 2015
    AC for sure, nothing else like it -- especially when it is your first real PvP experience. L2 had pretty brutal PvP just in the fact that you could lose so much time (or adena which was even more time) from a death. Really looking forward to some of the indie games coming out with a focus on PvP.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I must be getting old.  DF doesn't seem that old to me.  Time really is relative.

I self identify as a monkey.

Market is still there for them its just not as big as the casual friendly crap that investers keep trying to win out on like WoW did, but seem like the wind has change now that they relised people dont want that anymore since SWTOR or what not flopped. So now we seem to have new option coming up with games Like Crowfall, Camalot unchained and Pantheon and all that which one would say are rather different from what most people are use too. Unfortuently it takes 3-4 years or somthing like that for a MMO to be finished being made so we still in the waiting phase for that to happen.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Wizardry said:
    i just want my wits versus my opponents wits.

If this is what you're looking for than my vote goes to PotBS. It's got skill, and true loss when you're beaten.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter