Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veteran player wanting to get back into a solid MMO.

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
So, I just got a new computer. Aching to jump into an engaging world. I've played a few games off an on over the last few years but I've not been sucked in to anything since WoW from Vanilla to Cata. Before that I played FFXI for 2-3 years and it is still my favorite MMO of all time. I tried going back a few times but the game is so different now I just can't do it. They removed everything I liked about the game. I'm also done with WoW... there's just nothing for me to go back to. 

I've played ESO and Archeage over the past few months. I liked both Okay. Archeage I thought was going to be pvp heavy.. but honestly haven't encountered that much. I think I may give FFXIV a shot but wanted to see what others might suggest.

I enjoy PVE and PVP and something with a rich story.

Those are my only requirements.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76
    FFXIV is a decent game, it has a lot of good elements, but it isn't the same as FFXI.  New players will find it a bit daunting, as there is a significant amount of gateway content from Level 50 which is required to complete before joining the rest of the pack in the 50-60 content.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Play GW2. It's the best themepark MMO on the market, IMO. Big expansion due out soon as well. 
  • raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Something about GW2 just didn't do it for me.

Currently playing:

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

XIV is a good game. I was in your ls in ffxi awhile ago trying to play the game the old way. Then that earthquake hit Oo

Oh yeah, you mean the earthquake where the whole thing fell apart because of a few bad apples who joined our LS who didn't really want to play the old way?

Currently playing:

raystantz said:
    Oh yeah, you mean the earthquake where the whole thing fell apart because of a few bad apples who joined our LS who didn't really want to play the old way?
    Yep that was it. On that note XIV is a good game, if you want to try it out, and want a little help , try out Leviathan server and look for Leucent, I ll help you out as good as I can. Have a few good friends there, and the wife as well , who was in that ls in XI.
    Oh wow, yep I remember you! Sorry that all went down that way. I still wish we could have played, but the game is so dated now FFXIV is probably the better way to go. I'm trying to download the trial now and not having much luck.

Currently playing:

Well let me know. Are you casual, hardcore player?

• kzweedkzweed Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Rich story.. Only SWTOR come in mind.
    Soki123 said:

Well let me know. Are you casual, hardcore player?

Definitely casual. I have too much stuff going on these days to be hard core. I just got a new computer though lol.

Currently playing:

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2015
    That would leave Marvel Heroes, SWTOR, STO, Neverwinter, LotRo...oh Rift and Skyforge.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

we re casual as well. so that could work.
    I was playing Archeage because my gf was. She still likes it, but she will never get far enough to be competitive or be affected by any of it's glaring issues. I also have ESO which I did like but it just got way too repetitive. I have GW2 as well.

Currently playing:

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Rift, Tera, and SWTOR is the choice to make here maybe even The Secret World if that don't work.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Most of those are free to play now. Which game out right now that IS free to play isn't solely dependent on how much real money you spend to progress? 

Currently playing:

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    raystantz said:
    If you're sick of WoW and games like it (I could be reading into your post too much), it's pretty hard to recommend any themepark MMO right now. I mean, you can play XIV, but it's just like WoW. Maybe the change of scenery/story/setting etc. will entertain you for awhile, but the experience is very similar once you reach endgame. The same could be said for most MMO's out right now.

XI was my first MMO, and like you, it is still my favorite. That said, I can only play XIV in month long increments or less. It feels like a soulless husk to me, and really only appeals to my nostalgia and franchise fanboyism. For awhile, I feel like I'm playing a FF MMO, but then I realize I'm doing all the crap I detest doing in MMOs i.e. grinding 5 mans for gear to grind raids for gear to grind raids in the next tier. 

I like GW2 because it feels at least a little different. 
    raystantz said:
    If you're sick of WoW and games like it (I could be reading into your post too much), it's pretty hard to recommend any themepark MMO right now. I mean, you can play XIV, but it's just like WoW. Maybe the change of scenery/story/setting etc. will entertain you for awhile, but the experience is very similar once you reach endgame. The same could be said for most MMO's out right now.

XI was my first MMO, and like you, it is still my favorite. That said, I can only play XIV in month long increments or less. It feels like a soulless husk to me, and really only appeals to my nostalgia and franchise fanboyism. For awhile, I feel like I'm playing a FF MMO, but then I realize I'm doing all the crap I detest doing in MMOs i.e. grinding 5 mans for gear to grind raids for gear to grind raids in the next tier. 

I honestly haven't played anything in so long it's a little hard to be sick of anything. I actually liked that part of WoW. What I hated about it was that they dumbed that part of it down SO much, you could just literally stand in one spot and queue for dungeons all day and never move out of the city. Dungeon Finder killed WoW for me. FFXI was killed when they took away the group grinding and added in Abyssea. Being able to solo was fine, but the way it was implemented was so poorly done. I actually enjoyed getting together and camping mobs. It was a great way to make new friends since you were with them for a lot longer than your typical dungeon run. Dungeon finder made it so that you don't have to interact with people any longer than you have to, so the chances of making new friends out of it was a lot lower since most people just queue up, do their dungeon, say nothing.. and then leave. I'm looking for a game I can actually play with other people and find friends in. Typically I just try to play games with other people I already know, but it's becoming harder and harder to do that so I have to play games that at least have some sort of community. I'm going into any game knowing that the game mechanics will mostly be the same. I'm looking that little bit of extra oomph from one of them in terms of story, community, graphics, and charm to send it over the top.

Currently playing:

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    raystantz said:
    raystantz said:

I honestly haven't played anything in so long it's a little hard to be sick of anything. I actually liked that part of WoW. What I hated about it was that they dumbed that part of it down SO much, you could just literally stand in one spot and queue for dungeons all day and never move out of the city. Dungeon Finder killed WoW for me. FFXI was killed when they took away the group grinding and added in Abyssea. Being able to solo was fine, but the way it was implemented was so poorly done. I actually enjoyed getting together and camping mobs. It was a great way to make new friends since you were with them for a lot longer than your typical dungeon run. Dungeon finder made it so that you don't have to interact with people any longer than you have to, so the chances of making new friends out of it was a lot lower since most people just queue up, do their dungeon, say nothing.. and then leave. I'm looking for a game I can actually play with other people and find friends in. Typically I just try to play games with other people I already know, but it's becoming harder and harder to do that so I have to play games that at least have some sort of community. I'm going into any game knowing that the game mechanics will mostly be the same. I'm looking that little bit of extra oomph from one of them in terms of story, community, graphics, and charm to send it over the top.
    Seriously, give TSW a try.  You can get a trial key pretty easily and test it out over on the forums, and it's got one of the most solid, atmospheric storylines you can find in an MMO.  The community is great as well, and very welcoming to newcomers.  If you want to do the trial, just PM me, and I can get you a key as well.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    For a solid story I'd recommend SWTOR or TSW (and ESO to a lesser degree, but you've already tried that one).

PvP on TSW is pretty "meh" IMO though, while SWTOR's is pretty much WoW's battlegrounds. Both not really what you're looking for if you want open world PvP, although I enjoy the Warzones. (ESO's probably your best bet there)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Ortwig said:
    raystantz said:
    raystantz said:

Seriously, give TSW a try.  You can get a trial key pretty easily and test it out over on the forums, and it's got one of the most solid, atmospheric storylines you can find in an MMO.  The community is great as well, and very welcoming to newcomers.  If you want to do the trial, just PM me, and I can get you a key as well.

I'd be willing to give it a shot, that's basically what I am doing right now.. just trying stuff out till something sticks.. Funny that TSW is getting more recommendations for story than FFXIV.. aren't they the kings of RPG story?

Currently playing:

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited October 2015
    raystantz said:
    Ortwig said:
    raystantz said:
    raystantz said:

I'd be willing to give it a shot, that's basically what I am doing right now.. just trying stuff out till something sticks.. Funny that TSW is getting more recommendations for story than FFXIV.. aren't they the kings of RPG story?
    Well, TSW has awesome voice acting and cutscenes throughout the entire game... FFXIV only does that for some parts of the main quest...

It also feels a lot more immersive when it comes to areas IMO, while FFXIV is your standard MMO fare in that regard.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

raystantz said:
    Most of those are free to play now. Which game out right now that IS free to play isn't solely dependent on how much real money you spend to progress? 

filmoret said:
    Rift, Tera, and SWTOR is the choice to make here maybe even The Secret World if that don't work.
    I completely enjoyed Rift and spent about 50$ total on that game.  My friend said Tera could hog your money if you aren't carefull.  SWTOR I wouldn't suggest playing without paying for the monthly sub.  But Rift and SWTOR aren't pay to win.  I'm not sure about Tera
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SWTOR has really great class stories.  I also liked the quests stories in TSW and Aion.  SOme people like the combat in TSW some don't, myself included.  But the graphics are good and the concept of secret societies with their own missions is interesting.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

My next question was going to be.. of the F2P games, which is the least daunting on your wallet.

Currently playing:

raystantz said:
    My next question was going to be.. of the F2P games, which is the least daunting on your wallet.

Rift and Aion