Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkness falls 2

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
i just returned to the game, because i just love the combat, in my opinion the best combat out there of all the MMO's ( tough i would still like to see 2 more skills added to the bar, and many skilltrees) ... However thats not where i want to talk about..

i want to talk about the Imperial city, i havent bought it yet, but when you look at the mechanics on paper, it has almost the same mechanics as good old darkness falls... Which still is one of my favorite mmo features ever. I started a new toon, so it will take me quite some time to get there, but i am really really looking forward to this..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Anyone with hands on experience here that can confirm this feeling?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• FieditaFiedita Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Everyone has access at all times, makes it a zergfest. Not worth coming back to.
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Sad.

That's what happens when you make it DLC and charge people for it.  You have to make it accessible at all times for each faction.
  • MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Imperial city is great fun mate, four of us go round the sewers hunting other factions all the time, plus pve mobs in there adds a bit of flavour. The new dungeons are really hard also which is rare in mmo's these days. Well worth the money I think :)
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Fiedita said:
    Everyone has access at all times, makes it a zergfest. Not worth coming back to.
    I'm not there yet, but I thought they were added some locked mechanics to address that.  Did I read wrong?

I self identify as a monkey.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's not DF2. It has similarities but DF was a huge open dungeon even including some raid content that was only open to one realm at a time. IC is big but not as big as DF was and there are no open raids in there (although some of the new bosses there are pretty damn tough.)

Even the new campaign that isn't always open to all 3 alliances at once, has the potential for being that way since the entry requirement is only control of your home keeps - all 3 alliances can control all of their home keeps simultaneously.

I'm afraid the comment above is accurate: because it's DLC they're gun shy about making entry requirements harder.

This also has the (ironic) side effect of making it less PVE-player friendly in there since PVP is much more common at all times than it ever was in DF where you had PVP bursts when it changed hands and then just a few odd stealthers here and there after that.

The funny part was that in the game forums the biggest advocates for "open all the time" were the PVErs who didn't even realize they were asking for an environment that is more hostile to them.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Mpfive said:
    Imperial city is great fun mate, four of us go round the sewers hunting other factions all the time, plus pve mobs in there adds a bit of flavour. The new dungeons are really hard also which is rare in mmo's these days. Well worth the money I think :)
    You got a point, from your perspective , but from my oldcow DAoC perspective, with acess controll, it could have been even better, also making the content more exclusive..

Iselin said:
    It's not DF2. It has similarities but DF was a huge open dungeon even including some raid content that was only open to one realm at a time. IC is big but not as big as DF was and there are no open raids in there (although some of the new bosses there are pretty damn tough.)

Even the new campaign that isn't always open to all 3 alliances at once, has the potential for being that way since the entry requirement is only control of your home keeps - all 3 alliances can control all of their home keeps simultaneously.

I'm afraid the comment above is accurate: because it's DLC they're gun shy about making entry requirements harder.

This also has the (ironic) side effect of making it less PVE-player friendly in there since PVP is much more common at all times than it ever was in DF where you had PVP bursts when it changed hands and then just a few odd stealthers here and there after that.

The funny part was that in the game forums the biggest advocates for "open all the time" were the PVErs who didn't even realize they were asking for an environment that is more hostile to them.

Thanks for explaining the differences..  its clear its not DF2, i somhow tought they had the same acess mechanic as DF, as we all remember that as the strongest point of that whole dungeon..

But then, maybe we shouldnt be comparing things as Mpfive said, its fun to him.. and thats the most important thing i guess

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Thanks for explaining the differences..  its clear its not DF2, i somhow tought they had the same acess mechanic as DF, as we all remember that as the strongest point of that whole dungeon..
    They might have been going to. Maybe being DLC did change that; maybe not - DF had its own access issues stemming from faction balance. And the only thing subscribers could do was complain and/or leave. 

Maybe they could have had a campaign version and a non-campaign version, with unique campaign version drops/rewards (only useable in a campaign) - but that would be extra work etc. Not an easy call.