Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a frequently updated sandbox with a stable community with no item shop?

2»

Comments

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

Burntvet said:
    ste2000 said:
    Burntvet said:
    ste2000 said:

That's like saying getting cancer is better than getting ebola, one is worse than the other, but neither are what you'd call good.
    No, you are way off mark
    I call Darkfall a good game, because it is.

If you don't like this kind of games is another matter, but Darkfall is a pretty decent MMO.
    It is not for everyone, it is a FFA PvP game after all, and that's a rather small niche.
    Disagree all you like... all of the people that quit DF2.0 (and it is most all of the them) did not quit because the game was good.

There were allegations that so few people were playing DF, that AV could not make payroll a month or two back.

So, you like the game... fine.

Most people that ever tried it, don't, and a lot of people even want DF1 back (and wasn't that a mess) because it was "better". Several threads about that.

The OP want's a "good" sandbox to play, and frankly, there is EvE and then an ocean of garbage of everything else.
    Eve is not a true sandbox mmo, the OP is better of giving Wurm Online a try. It has a small community but the game is everything a sandbox mmo should be. If he can look beyond the dated graphic then that's the game he should be looking at.

OP be careful what you wish for, many have said they wanted a true sandbox game only to realize they are not that hardcore after all. Wurm Online will decide for you.
    Wurm online, cant even be considered a MMO, nor can it be considered stable. The game failed, so they released all the servers to other players, which will decent into something like dayz epoch. 

As for Life is fedual, that is def not a MMO. 
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    edited September 2015
    Ozreth said:
    Ozreth said:
    Thanks for all of the replies. So far I am leaning towards giving DF another go (with lots of skepticism), checking out Wurm Online and ARK has actually been on my radar for awhile so maybe it's time to try that. As far as being wary of a sandbox game and thinking it might not be what I want, my earliest MMO's were EQ, FFXI and a game called Dark Ages (not of camelot) so I'm used to both hardcore and sandbox gameplay elements and miss the style. I do also enjoy more themepark style games and am currently subbed to FFXIV. Also, im not vehemently against the cash shop model but for obvious reasons would prefer to avoid it, but would give one a shot if the game intrigued me enough :)
    If you are interested in themepark with lots of endgame and level scaling option, i will suggest Rift, well i suggest everyone Rift since i am a fanboy but honestly that is the one game that you will be able to enjoy without even looking at cash shop. Wait no, you have to look at cash shop since you sell all of your trash items in cash shop to clear your bag :pleased: .
    Ah sorry, I didnt mean that I am also looking into themepark games, I am quite happy with FFXIV, I just meant that I'm not of the "sandbox or nothing" mentality and know what I'm getting into when looking for a sandbox (or close to sandbox) style game. 
    Ok understood and I will be crapped over by people for saying this but if you value your time don't go near DF or Mortal. No idea about how Wurm is these days but i did not feel "hitting invulnerable scarecrow to increase your weapon level" very engaging when i tried about 2 years ago. ARK survival evolved seem like getting a lot of attention and players, so i guess that will be the safest bet at the moment?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    edited September 2015
    Boy. Looks like I'll have to just stick with FFXIV until a more sandbox like game is released in the future. I do feel like thats the way MMO's are heading again the next 5 years. Funny thing is that I'm looking so hard for something today that was really the only option 10+ years ago. I think I will actually just give ARK a try. While not really fantasy, it sounds insane and supported.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    edited September 2015
    Ozreth said:
    Boy. Looks like I'll have to just stick with FFXIV until a more sandbox like game is released in the future. I do feel like thats the way MMO's are heading again the next 5 years. Funny thing is that I'm looking so hard for something today that was really the only option 10+ years ago. I think I will actually just give ARK a try. While not really fantasy, it sounds insane and supported.
    Dying light is a better survival game.  Ark is early access which = Trash every time. Ark is more sandboxy than Dying light, but there is no way to tell if they will totally abandon Ark. It has happened a lot in the past with early access games, and I have only seen a rare few that ever were released. 

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more

1) there is NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT: 

For a game with a full priced "beta" release, there is absolutely no support. This is to the extent that even the official website has removed all contact information, up to and including even listing the name of the game developer. The steam page takes you to the website, the website takes you to the steam page, the steam page suggests you visit the forums, in which there are close to 18,000 threads. 

The steam page also says the "beta" is an "Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development". so not only can you not report an issue, since there is no support, there is a chance the issue will never be fixed. I have never heard of a game that is being developed where the developer removes their name from the product and doesn't want to hear from you about in game issues, and admits they don't know if there will be future development. Not to mention, there is no way to know if you're going to be happy with the progress so far, or the game need more develpment without actually playing the game for yourself.

2) IMPOSSIBLE TO START NEW: the game has no balance to allow new players to compete. I'm not new, I've been playing since day one so I have all the fun stuff, but if you don't already have it, you're not going to get it.

a: The game has a server cap of 70 players at a time. So as I write this there are.... between 44-85000 players online. So while you can have a single character on multiple servers, you can't play that character on a different server. So if there are 70 people playing on one map you're on, you can wait and spam refresh/relaunch for up to an hour trying to get online, or start over on a new server from lvl 1 with nothing. 

b) If you start from new, you're competing for space with everyone on the server, so lvl 1-40 (75 is the current max) everything you can accomplish can be destroyed in actual seconds by a lvl 50. Until you are around lvl 60 and have progressed from thatch, to wood, to stone, to full metal structures, which will take you roughly 100-150 hours, everything you accomplish will be destroyed within a day. The reason is structures stop creature and resources from spawning. So basically if you're online or offline, and I'm on a T-Rex looking for something, your home base is stopping it from spawning, and it's easier for me to spend 20 seconds to crush your base and reset the spawns, than it is to leave it there and look somewhere else.
  • user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    How is Istaria these days?

http://www.istaria.com/
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    As for Life is fedual, that is def not a MMO.

Life is Feudal: Your Own is 64/soon to be 100 player (if all goes well) and "Life is Feudal" will be a Buy to Play 10k player server MMO hosted on company mega servers. The beta tests begin early next year.
    I'm just glad none of you have told me to join the Pathfinder Online beta :pleased: 

is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

user547 said:
    How is Istaria these days?

http://www.istaria.com/
    Upon reading the forums for awhile, terribly. No surprise there. I'm almost tempted to go play on some of the new EQ servers. I wish Vanguard were still around. While not exactly what I'm looking for it was a good mix of game styles that I really enjoyed. 

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Ozreth said:
    Ozreth said:
    Thanks for all of the replies. So far I am leaning towards giving DF another go (with lots of skepticism), checking out Wurm Online and ARK has actually been on my radar for awhile so maybe it's time to try that. As far as being wary of a sandbox game and thinking it might not be what I want, my earliest MMO's were EQ, FFXI and a game called Dark Ages (not of camelot) so I'm used to both hardcore and sandbox gameplay elements and miss the style. I do also enjoy more themepark style games and am currently subbed to FFXIV. Also, im not vehemently against the cash shop model but for obvious reasons would prefer to avoid it, but would give one a shot if the game intrigued me enough :)
    If you are interested in themepark with lots of endgame and level scaling option, i will suggest Rift, well i suggest everyone Rift since i am a fanboy but honestly that is the one game that you will be able to enjoy without even looking at cash shop. Wait no, you have to look at cash shop since you sell all of your trash items in cash shop to clear your bag :pleased: .
    Ah sorry, I didnt mean that I am also looking into themepark games, I am quite happy with FFXIV, I just meant that I'm not of the "sandbox or nothing" mentality and know what I'm getting into when looking for a sandbox (or close to sandbox) style game. 
    Ryzom

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I echo Ryzom, most 'purists' will say it is not a sandbox though. And in case you agree with that sentiment, no, there is no such game OP, I am sorry. Ryzom is pretty good though, you might want to give it a shot anyways.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Totally forgot about Ryzom! Installing as we speak. Thanks! Not traditional fantasy but if I remember correctly it has most of what I want. 

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Ozreth said:
    Does it exist? Looking for a (preferrably fantasy) sandbox game that is not an item shop, which is still supported and has at least a stable population/community (doesn't have to be large). Doesn't have to be a new game, or super fancy, as long as it's got the above requirements. Indie games with lots of love put into them work, doesn't have to be a big name. Thanks!
    There are only 3 games that fit that, darkfall, and Mortal online dont. Darkfall doesnt have a stable community, and is falling apart. Mortal Online 100 percent doesnt have a stable community, they are a bunch of fruits over there, and I am not joking, they are literally all insane. 

The 3 games that have a stable community, population, is a sandbox, doesnt have a cash shop are. SWG EMU, EQ project 1999, and RYzom. Ryzom being the only none emulated game there. SWG has no payment system at all other than donations, same with project 1999. Ryzom is free till level 125, and then its 10 bucks a month. All 3 have stable communitys around 1000 players each. EQ is the least sandboxy out of the 3, but it is still more of a sand box mmo, than mortal online and dark fall put together. Dark fall isnt even a sandbox, it is a grinding pvp arena, and mortal online is a sandbox, but has so many bugs, and bad communities, you will run away.
    I wouldn't consider EQ a sandbox.  You don't change anything.  Progression is very open since you don't have the quest hubs.  
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    ste2000 said:
    Try Darkfall it is one of the best PvP centric game.
    Player driven Economy
    Territory Conquest 
    Good crafting

Overall a nice Sandbox MMO if you like PvP
    You should actually read the thread prior to posting.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I literally have no idea when people mention the word Sandbox and what they expect from a sandbox game.
    A sandbox can go in two directions,no content at all from the developer and/or just a map with terrain and some tools for players to build the world.

I am ok with just a world and tools but you need a lot of systems to go along with the tools or it ends up as just Minecraft and not really a game or a living world.

What i have seen so far is a mere pittance of what we need to make a great sandbox game,like barely scratching the surface.I feel i will either be extremely old or dead before we see an actual Triple A sandbox game.

I have played Ryzom twice,it is not that good,lacks assets and overall systems.

Ark pretty much identical to most other games doing the same thing,build a few cheap walls,kill some mobs,mount a pet nothing more really,hardly what i would call a sandbox.

Imo stick to Themepark games,those calling themselves Sandbox are not even remotely close to being such.

FFXIV is not my cup of tea,i am spoiled by the better version of FFXI but if i had of never played FFXI i would probably choose FFXIV or EQ2 as my game of choice.Vanguard was good as well but does not exist.

I await this Pantheon and Elyria both doing a couple ideas i like as my hope to the future.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited September 2015
    Wizardry said:
    I literally have no idea when people mention the word Sandbox and what they expect from a sandbox game.
    A sandbox can go in two directions,no content at all from the developer and/or just a map with terrain and some tools for players to build the world.

I am ok with just a world and tools but you need a lot of systems to go along with the tools or it ends up as just Minecraft and not really a game or a living world.

What i have seen so far is a mere pittance of what we need to make a great sandbox game,like barely scratching the surface.I feel i will either be extremely old or dead before we see an actual Triple A sandbox game.

I have played Ryzom twice,it is not that good,lacks assets and overall systems.

Ark pretty much identical to most other games doing the same thing,build a few cheap walls,kill some mobs,mount a pet nothing more really,hardly what i would call a sandbox.

Imo stick to Themepark games,those calling themselves Sandbox are not even remotely close to being such.

FFXIV is not my cup of tea,i am spoiled by the better version of FFXI but if i had of never played FFXI i would probably choose FFXIV or EQ2 as my game of choice.Vanguard was good as well but does not exist.

I await this Pantheon and Elyria both doing a couple ideas i like as my hope to the future.

I know what you mean. I use the word sandbox as a very broad term these days, and I really just mean something that is not a straight themepark. Examples of games I play in the past and enjoyed were EQ, FFXI and Vanguard, none of which were actually sandbox. I dabbled in SWG and liked it but didn't stick with it. I also played UO way later on and loved the concept of it but realized I was definitely in the game way too late for it to be worth it. That being said I also played WoW and FFXIV, both themepark games, and enjoy(ed) them both. I still play FFXIV but want something a little more open and player driven on the side. Playing Ryzom right now but it's far too early to tell what I think, other than that the art and lore are initially off-putting but may grow on me. The game is still clearly supported and the community seems strong. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Ryzom? I dont believe it has an item mall....Not a huge pop but is sandboxy
    Ryzom? I dont believe it has an item mall....Not a huge pop but is sandboxy
    We've been talking about Ryzom in the last few posts. I've already downloaded it and started playing.  Lookin good so far!

• darkness2468darkness2468 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I personally would go with Xsyon it fits your criteria and has a pve server now.

Just came back here to inform you all that I finally found what I was looking for:

http://projectgorgon.com/

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Istaria is trucking along.  Small population for sure but still some if the best crafting if not the best crafting on the genre. Thousands of house pieces but no interior decorating.  house in the world no instances. Lairs  are fun, multiclasses are great.  Fights are slow.  It is still pretty grindy though. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.