Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dying by excessive online playing...

You can think that this topic doesn't matter or doesn't face the truth of this real situations but you're wrong...
More and more people suffer serious consequences relationed with excessive online playing and sometimes it can take to death. Why are we facing this sad reality? Because people dont have the responsability for their own security. This problem is increasing and believing or not it'll be one of the biggest healthy problems for this century. The technology progress will also help and the addicted players will be plenty more.
Blindness, swoons, epilepsy or even heart attacks are the top list dangers for our health and we must do something to stop this problems. Here some advices:

# Dont play more than 1 hour without stopping.
# Be sure you're 50/60 cm away from your monitor.
# Adjust your monitor to your angle of vision and be sure you can see all things in it without much effort.
# Adjust the brightness of your monitor and it's resolution so that you can see all the things easily.
# Lean your back and place your legs at the same width of your shoulders.
# Relax while playing a game. Dont be so tense... :)
# Do not extend your arms while writting on keyboard, be relaxed.
# If you feel tired get up and extend all your muscles, legs, arms etc...

Have fun and be careful about your health... ::::28::

|Blast|

Comments

• GIROGIRO Member Posts: 219

nicely said blast...the asain market seem to prove this point more often than not, read so many storys of gamers dieing but 90% are asian and are crazy storys like sitting for 80 hours and not eating or drinking...you asking for trouble then

C

• stone-seraphstone-seraph Member Posts: 376

only thing I have to say, people don't die from playing video games, they die from not eating, drinking or sleeping for long periods of time.

Make of it what you will.

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

I had this problem in the past, still have it actually. Anyone have any tips to stay in contact with the real world? (fuck RL!)

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762

I...don't have this problem. The most I ever played was 14 hours for an EQ raid, and I didn't enjoy it. But to be honest, I took breaks every hour going afk and It was during the summer when it happened so I had no school work.

Just to be safe, I quit WoW once I entered college and am doing just fine now ^_^. I have a friend in my 3D design class(its not modeling, its like carving plaster models blech...) who plays WoW all the time and pulls all nighters playing the game. Never does his work and has a D in the class...I just don't understand those people on how they put games before their freaking life.

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

Ah yes... What is more real. real life or the life you put most time in...

Good question.

Originally posted by MadAce
    Ah yes... What is more real. real life or the life you put most time in...Good question.

hmm interesting question...since I eat REAL food and talk to people face to face, I'd call the non-WoW world real life.

• OSYYRUSOSYYRUS Member Posts: 285

Call it Darwin's Theory............natural selection in the 21st century.

If your too stupid to keep up with even the most basic of basic needs, maybe you'll learn your lesson for the next life.

Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for these people. People find a way to kill themselves doing almost everything on earth, and now they've figured out how to do it using video games. It's like putting a warning label on a gun that says "May cause injury if aimed at oneself". If you don't eat, sleep or drink, you die. Natural Selection. The whole human race will be smarter for it.

Yeah, that's right, I said it.

The Millenium Lee

Originally posted by OSYYRUS
    If your too stupid to keep up with even the most basic of basic needs, maybe you'll learn your lesson for the next life.
    Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for these people. People find a way to kill themselves doing almost everything on earth, and now they've figured out how to do it using video games. It's like putting a warning label on a gun that says "May cause injury if aimed at oneself". If you don't eat, sleep or drink, you die. Natural Selection. The whole human race will be smarter for it.

wow..TRUTH hurts... ::::01::

• MattiusMattius Member Posts: 167

One health problem people often overlook is the impact it has on your blood pressure. Im certain its had a bad impact on mine...then again thats nobodies fault except my own.

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

As long as you have a break every so often, maybe grab a beer or smoke a cigar you should be fine.::::36::

Phisically, yes. but mentally?

How many thought-time you put in real life compared to the mmo-life?

• rcook16rcook16 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Originally posted by OSYYRUS

Thanks for saying it for me. If your not smart enought to eat drink and sleep thats your own fault.

• Blast_BoddomBlast_Boddom Member Posts: 21

If you make those things so often everyday while having a break you probably get drunk in no time... ::::14::

|Blast|

• HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210

TBH i think this matter is in the same vein as children going mental and murdering people after playing too many games. people always instantly jump the gun and assume that games make people go insane and murder people, however this isnt the case. a game may push a completely mental person over the edge and cause them to murder someone, but by no means is the game to blaim, the person in question could have been pushed over the edge by a movie or a book or anything atall.

i also think the same applies to people that suffer health risks from playing games too much, in a way i'd say they are mentally unstable, and its not the games fault if the person cannot play the game in a realistic manner. i for one am able to play realisticly, i dont play too much and i dont allow games to rule my life.

i dont think its a big risk to health in the grand scheme of things, the number of people that actually fall ill from playing too many games a year must be under 1000, when you consider the millions that die from cancer each year it puts it into perspective.

• MmoSwanMmoSwan Member Posts: 134

I'd like to add that it's also not a good idea to stick nails into the power outlet or to throw yoursef from big heights xD

Swany

|| Languages for gamers: http://gamerslingo.com
    /where God
    ERROR: Target could not be found
    /target Believer
    /skill science
    You missed your target since Believer ignores science
    /skill logic
    You missed your target since Believer traded all his INT for faith.

• desk_moddesk_mod Member Posts: 282

Point is in thuis topic sure some of the points are true....
    But I still dont get it :S By the way why did you make this topic???
    Anymore points we should know? MmoSwan point is in big heights mate?

• Wayne0205Wayne0205 Member Posts: 23

Ah yes... What is more real. real life or the life you put most time in...

The world outside video games.

It's not going away, and the longer you ignore it, the harder it's going to bite you in the ass when you're forced to face it.

Most people procrastinate with work. Hard to think about people procrastinating their lives, but apparently it does exist.

• CymekCymek Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by GIRO
    nicely said blast...the asain market seem to prove this point more often than not, read so many storys of gamers dieing but 90% are asian and are crazy storys like sitting for 80 hours and not eating or drinking...you asking for trouble then

The most extreme case I ever saw reported in the media was some asian kid (can't remember what country exactly) went on a 96 hour drug induced gaming binge. He died of heart failure at the keyboard having been online for almost 100 hours straight! I had a couple gamer buddies at work at the time. I cut the article out and posted it on the wall.

I had this problem in the past, still have it actually. Anyone have any tips to stay in contact with the real world? (fuck RL!)

I totally understand this problem as I am prone to it myself.

Here is my tip...it has worked for me.

Find something else you enjoy immensely. Since you, like myself, are into gaming, I would reccommend something that is outdoors and physically active.

I don't know what area you live in, but I am in Utah. There are 3 resorts less than half an hour away from my house...and about 9 total if you open the drive up to an hour. When it snows up here, the priority is throwing a coat of wax on the snowboard and going up into the mountains. I can go several days without gaming because of snowboarding. If I really tear it up all day up there, I am usually too tired to game when I get home LOL....I just sit on the couch and relax for the rest of the day. As for the 5 or 6 months the resorts are closed, I plan on mountain biking to stay in shape for snow season.

Granted, not everyone here will have access to this...but every place has something. Mountain biking, weight training, hell, even golf will have you walking distances out in the sun. Another alternative is projects. Its funny, but I like working on my house. Be it in the yard, or something inside. Starting home improvement projects are nice challenges that will increase the value of your home (if you have one). But it doesn't have to be home based...there are tons of projects that can get your but outside. Those were just a few suggestions.

Gaming is awesome...but there are other things outside your house. It is not healthy to spend 100 percent of your free time gaming.

Originally posted by tigris67
    Ah yes... What is more real. real life or the life you put most time in...Good question.

hmm interesting question...since I eat REAL food and talk to people face to face, I'd call the non-WoW world real life.

RL would be the life, if left neglected, can result in you dying in both lives.

• RagoschRagosch Member Posts: 727

People are killing themselves with in many ways - with alcohol, drugs, eating too much, drinking too much ... and now playing too much. So let them have their way, where is it different from eating too much for example?- Eating too much costs billion of dollars for health insurances, playing too much comes at low costs, they play and die and thats it ... as long as they did not have a life insurance.

Ragosch

• Blast_BoddomBlast_Boddom Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by GIRO

How can this be possible? Playing for 100 hours without stopping and without eating... They dont even take a bath or even go to the bathroom... They cant be humans, any racional would stop and think what a hell im I doing?? Dont they have a life?? Dont they have friends or family?? Is those stupid games more important than our happiness?? Or those games can really bring them happiness?
    People is getting so much lazier that they cant value their own life... Of course everyone like games and playing them but... 100 hours without stopping?? ::::12::
    Just think why they would do that?? Having the best stats?? Be the best player of the world?? Or simple having fun?? Maybe that can be their own way of having some fun... like killing themselves without sleeping and eating.

|Blast|

• RagoschRagosch Member Posts: 727

Originally posted by Blast_Boddom

100 hours without stopping?? ::::12::
    Just think why they would do that??

I tell you why - just because real life doesnt offer them anything more - they are loosers who lost forever, without any chance to change this situation (atleast they think so) ... and that is why they get totally lost in a game, just to be able to ignore real life which is a pain for them - the modern way of suicide, turning themselves into mummies, which are kind of dead while still alive.

Ragosch