Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria: Contracts and Player-Created Professions

Comments

• TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Bigdaddyx said:
    If i had a penny for every time i read' this new game is one of the first true sandbox MMOs' i would be a millionaire.
    If I had a penny for every time a gamer used hyperbole on the internet I would be a Billionaire
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited September 2015
    The other question is there are trade contracts. Are these the only means of trade?
    I would like to know this as well.

I assume contracts are optional, so if both parties have the goods they can just exchange them in trade, no contract required. Contracts would only come in to it if you wanted to place an order to filled at a later date ??

Some more questions:
    1. Regarding contract consequences, can they be specified? For example, in the simple matter of a trade, if money was paid up front, can it be specified that the money is simply paid back? And what is the mechanism for doing this?

2. Is there anything stopping someone from accepting a contract they knowingly cannot complete? If so, can it be specified on the contract what the minimum requirements are for accepting it? For example, can I accept a contract to craft a sword even if I have no skill in blacksmithing?

Lastly, do consequences carry across generations? For example, if I rip someone off (not that I would :) ), stash the loot in a safe place, die, come back as my heir and collect said goods, is the bounty token still valid?

• JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    Bigdaddyx said:
    If i had a penny for every time i read' this new game is one of the first true sandbox MMOs' i would be a millionaire.
    Are you saying that because you don't believe the feature provides significant opportunities for player-driven meta? 
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Falendor said:
    Finally a game where i can play a scribe. For some reason I've always wanted to play one.
    There are plenty of mmos coming up where you can play a scribe. You can do that in ArcheAge also,and in the upcoming Revival as well.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Rhoklaw said:
    You know what, it doesn't matter if you title the game as Themepark, Sandbox, Sandpark or Themebox. The game features and mechanics listed so far in the DJ's have this game severely ahead of the competition. So yeah, I don't care what they call it. CoE is a masterpiece in the works and a blessing to what has been the worst decade in MMO history. I'm just curious what the cost will be to finish the development.
    I totally agree, now lets see, if they can deliver :o
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    I know a terrible place to put it, but help a fellow Elyrian and use my friendcode! B4ACB3
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    acidblood said:
    I would like to know this as well.

I assume contracts are optional, so if both parties have the goods they can just exchange them in trade, no contract required. Contracts would only come in to it if you wanted to place an order to filled at a later date ??

Some more questions:
    1. Regarding contract consequences, can they be specified? For example, in the simple matter of a trade, if money was paid up front, can it be specified that the money is simply paid back? And what is the mechanism for doing this?

2. Is there anything stopping someone from accepting a contract they knowingly cannot complete? If so, can it be specified on the contract what the minimum requirements are for accepting it? For example, can I accept a contract to craft a sword even if I have no skill in blacksmithing?

Lastly, do consequences carry across generations? For example, if I rip someone off (not that I would :) ), stash the loot in a safe place, die, come back as my heir and collect said goods, is the bounty token still valid?

I think for 1 & 2 it would depend on the contract. We know that contracts can be crafted by scribes so possible many conditions can be added to them. And about 3, maybe it will depend on the laws of the county?
  • DilectosDilectos Member CommonPosts: 5
    Falendor said:
    Finally a game where i can play a scribe. For some reason I've always wanted to play one.
    I know ! Even an under appreciated talent for scribes would be translation, since the game will feature different languages. I'm so excited :)
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Bigdaddyx said:
    If I had a penny for every time a gamer used hyperbole on the internet I would be a Billionaire
    If i had a penny for every time poor schmucks buy into hype and big promises of developers i would be a trillionaire.
  • SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    "The other common type of implicit contract are enchanted or artifact items. With these, simply equipping or wearing the item is enough to initiate the contract." I like the idea of wearing an item and it initiates a contract. As an example, The Kings Hand - Game of Thrones; Power Ring - Lantern Corps or even a Mayors Chain of Office. Just think there needs to be skilled artisans that have to make and imbue these items.
  • NephthysiaNephthysia Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited September 2015
    I'm curious to see what sort of regions/counties form and what their laws will be. Also, would it be possible to have Wanted posters like in the Old West that you can distribute around the area or even to other counties? I don't know if there's a Bounty Hunter profession per se, but perhaps these flyers would give a "temporary" contract that would disappear once the bounty was claimed. There would need to restrictions on who can claim bounties, I imagine. Just some thoughts. I'll be watching this game's development closely. It's sounding like my dream game.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited September 2015
    Well first off, Eve has had contracts for years.  So nothing new there.  What I don;t see is how this makes a bunch of user defined occupations.  That is just a bunch of nonsense.

All these various mechanic discussions for this game provides me an impression of dreamer.  Really nice thoughts how to construct a sandbox game, but where in the world are you going to find the time to program all this?

Lots of pie in the sky ideas, but I have extreme doubts this will ever be a playable game let alone get all the discussed content working.  I just don't see where are you going to get the funding for such a game.  The big money is now on mobile games, investors blanch at the thought of funding MMO's these days.

If you want to self fund the game, all you have to do  is look at Chris Roberts and all the problems he is having with his game.  You are going to need some real programming geniuses to pull this off.
  • CamigwenCamigwen Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Also, would it be possible to have Wanted posters like in the Old West that you can distribute around the area or even to other counties? I don't know if there's a Bounty Hunter profession per se, but perhaps these flyers would give a "temporary" contract that would disappear once the bounty was claimed.
    This, this right here. I think the idea of Wanted posters are exactly the type of game meta idea that would create bounties and exciting themes in the game.
  • liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Camigwen said:
    Also, would it be possible to have Wanted posters like in the Old West that you can distribute around the area or even to other counties? I don't know if there's a Bounty Hunter profession per se, but perhaps these flyers would give a "temporary" contract that would disappear once the bounty was claimed.
    This, this right here. I think the idea of Wanted posters are exactly the type of game meta idea that would create bounties and exciting themes in the game.
    Could be really cool to see message boards with wanted posters and contracts up in villages >w<!

• VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79
    acidblood said:
    Ohh that is so true, that would make so much more sense. So contracts are just for if things are not going to be able to be finished then and there, or perhaps require them to take away the items and craft something with them rather than just a straight swap.
    acidblood said:
    I love the idea of contracts being able to specify that they effect you and your kin, so they can go an claim back from your family not just your heir.
    Author of the Elyria Echo. Follow us here @ElyriaEcho.
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Bigdaddyx said:
    Bigdaddyx said:
    If i had a penny for every time poor schmucks buy into hype and big promises of developers i would be a trillionaire.
    Sarcasm works when used correctly. Unfortunately you seem to not have learned the nuances of this art form yet. I will explain your missteps here. 1. You exaggerate to far. Need to keep it simple, with plausibility. If i had a penny for every time i read' this new game is one of the first true sandbox MMOs' i would be a millionaire. See that's too much, shows lack of understanding the art. If you had said nickel and rich instead of penny and millionaire, it goes farther. 2. When one upped acknowledge the better remark. You learn more that way. If i had a penny for every time poor schmucks buy into hype and big promises of developers i would be a trillionaire. This was petty. I get it's the internet and blah, blah, but dude Bring your own material don't copy. If you have to copy, don't attack and copy, it's unseemly. See I 'll show you the difference. If I had a penny for every time a gamer used hyperbole on the internet I would be a Billionaire That is how you use sarcasm. If you need anymore pointers fill free to pm me.
  • DilectosDilectos Member CommonPosts: 5
    This game looks really promising, and would love to hear more about it. I love the fact that your backpack is actually visible on your character, and cant wait to hear more about Pockets and hidden pockets in your jacket and pants.
  • SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Dilectos said:
    This game looks really promising, and would love to hear more about it. I love the fact that your backpack is actually visible on your character, and cant wait to hear more about Pockets and hidden pockets in your jacket and pants.
    Now there is a useful profession. Elite Pocket maker. Able to sew pockets to any piece of equipment worn.
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    I think the contract system may allow for a pawn shop to be opened. Someone comes to me with an item they want to keep, but need gold right away. I write a contract that says I will give them 400 gold for the item, then in the same contract if possible, or another if not, it will say they will bring me 500 gold within two days and get the item back. If they fail to do so, no consequences except they lose the item. If the system is complex enough you could even write in 'if' statements so it would say, bring 500 gold within two days, but if you bring 470 gold tomorrow you can have it back. It is a way to do interest through the contract system
  • LucchenoLuccheno Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Sabbicat said:
    Dilectos said:
    Now there is a useful profession. Elite Pocket maker. Able to sew pockets to any piece of equipment worn.
    I can see also different bag and other container makers, with stuff that makes them harder to pickpocket and even steal upon unconscious/coup de graced
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    edited October 2015
    Bigdaddyx said:
    Bigdaddyx said:
    Sarcasm works when used correctly. Unfortunately you seem to not have learned the nuances of this art form yet. I will explain your missteps here. 1. You exaggerate to far. Need to keep it simple, with plausibility. If i had a penny for every time i read' this new game is one of the first true sandbox MMOs' i would be a millionaire. See that's too much, shows lack of understanding the art. If you had said nickel and rich instead of penny and millionaire, it goes farther. 2. When one upped acknowledge the better remark. You learn more that way. If i had a penny for every time poor schmucks buy into hype and big promises of developers i would be a trillionaire. This was petty. I get it's the internet and blah, blah, but dude Bring your own material don't copy. If you have to copy, don't attack and copy, it's unseemly. See I 'll show you the difference. If I had a penny for every time a gamer used hyperbole on the internet I would be a Billionaire That is how you use sarcasm. If you need anymore pointers fill free to pm me.
    Did you just spend one entire paragraph on something so utterly pointless?

You have way too much free time on your hands. Stop being so salty.
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    @Bigdaddyx: I think hyperbole aside, why don't we have a meaningful conversation about what defines a sandbox game. Or better yet, we can talk about what CoE is doing that makes it a Story MMO, rather than a sandbox or theme park MMO.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited October 2015
    This design seems to encourage screwing players over in trade because the game engine supports this through the contract system, and even encourages it with all the work done so that players can enforce bounties on players that break contracts. One incentive for corrupt players not to screw players over in trade in a game like WoW is the threat of customer service coming down on you and potentially banning your account for repeated bad behavior. In comparison, contracts say "I dare you to break one, so you can be hunted". This would be cool if contracts were issued for say, murdering players or stealing items, but for abusing the trade window UI? That seems like fanning the flames of an MMO problem more than anything else. The idea is cool but it's being applied to the wrong area of the game, based on the report in this article.
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    It should be possible to 'screw' a trader or customer over however there are clauses in the contracts which let you do certain actions or the local count can shut it down.
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Denambren said:
    This design seems to encourage screwing players over in trade because the game engine supports this through the contract system, and even encourages it with all the work done so that players can enforce bounties on players that break contracts. One incentive for corrupt players not to screw players over in trade in a game like WoW is the threat of customer service coming down on you and potentially banning your account for repeated bad behavior. In comparison, contracts say "I dare you to break one, so you can be hunted". This would be cool if contracts were issued for say, murdering players or stealing items, but for abusing the trade window UI? That seems like fanning the flames of an MMO problem more than anything else. The idea is cool but it's being applied to the wrong area of the game, based on the report in this article.

I dont think this at all. Yes, it is possible to exploit the system. This would also get someone a bad reputation. A merchant doing this to often would gain a reputation for doing it, and this would lead to less and less people doing business with them. The contract system also allows people to write things into the contract to prevent abuse too.