Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horizons and future content update

TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
edited September 2015 in Elite: Dangerous

Recorded live stream discussion (at EGX) on expansion and future of ED.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Em7TLwFifE

Newsletter talking about some of the new info

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=5fd2c5476a&e=033b8862cd

Ship-launched fighters (player or AI controlled, or you fly the launched fighter and the main ship is player controlled or AI)

Multi-crew (player multi-crew ships) 

Commander Creator (player created avatars)

New mission systems

New loot and crafting system

1:1 planetary landings 

More ships

And the return of bobbleheads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwNOuEVMobs

Edit: ED currently on 40% sale ($26.99) https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/games/elite-dangerous-cat/elite-dangerous.html/
If you purchase during the sale then pre-order Horizons it will cost you $11.99 more then if you just pre-ordered Horizons, but you get to play it 3 months earlier. 

Edit_2:  Support for SteamVR (HTC VivE). 

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Now we are talking :-)   The game starts get more interesting.

Have fun
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    I wasn't expecting this much for season 2 tbh.
    Looks absolutely great!

..Cake..

Yes. The planetary landings on barren moons/planets alone did not cut it IMHO. That sounds more like it.

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited September 2015
    Bobbleheads are awesome, I bought Brabenhead because I was blown away by what they showed at EGX but I really want the helmeted version.

Anyone looking for more details about Horizons should check this thread on the forums, some really good info in there - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=172362

The expansion is looking really promising.
    Erillion said:
    Yes. The planetary landings on barren moons/planets alone did not cut it IMHO. That sounds more like it.

Well they did say they had more stuff in store. If you followed ED development you'd know they often announce content noone expected.

..Cake..

Well, I have only read 92 E:D Newsletters and a ton of development stuff and patch reports so far in the last years. Plus a few novels.

Hardly scratched the surface w.r.t. ED development ;-)

Have fun
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    When I heard about ED, I was excited. Then I found out they are going to add things like ground stuff, multi-crew ships and alike silliness and I lost all interest :(

Wasted development time...
    Fascinating  .. that is the part where things get more interesting for me. As always - different people have different points of focus.

Personally I think that there are enough ship centered space sims and MMO's out there already                 (e.g. X-series, EVE Online etc.). Its the fusion of avatar based game-play and ship-based gameplay that IMHO is the necessary next step forward in the evolution of space-sims.

Add VR and you get a double-jump forward ;-) 

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Well, I have only read 92 E:D Newsletters and a ton of development stuff and patch reports so far in the last years. Plus a few novels.

Hardly scratched the surface w.r.t. ED development ;-)
    So then you should know that FD keeps a lot of their development under wraps.
    The way you commented on that post was as if you expected FD to release a lackluster expansion :)

..Cake..

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Erillion said:
    Fascinating  .. that is the part where things get more interesting for me. As always - different people have different points of focus.

Personally I think that there are enough ship centered space sims and MMO's out there already                 (e.g. X-series, EVE Online etc.). Its the fusion of avatar based game-play and ship-based gameplay that IMHO is the necessary next step forward in the evolution of space-sims.

Add VR and you get a double-jump forward ;-) 

Have fun
    Considering your post history, it is not fascinating but understandable...

Mentioning X-series, Rebirth is a good example of out-of-ship gameplay issue.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Each one of those things listed in OP will cost money on top of what you already payed. ED is the first $100 game now, unless you just want to play their shitty, boring, empty Trade Simulator space game. I had such high hopes for ED but my god, it's boring as hell right now to play. And the gall to charge another $40 for the rest of the game is a slap in the face.

People think SC is a scam. They have to be working for FD or just ignorant.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    bartoni33 said:
    Each one of those things listed in OP will cost money on top of what you already payed. ED is the first $100 game now, unless you just want to play their shitty, boring, empty Trade Simulator space game. I had such high hopes for ED but my god, it's boring as hell right now to play. And the gall to charge another $40 for the rest of the game is a slap in the face.

So WOW's expansions were free?  GW2's expansion is free? I hate to rain on your trolling parade but ED is not the first game to charge for an expansion.  

You might find it boring but many people do not.  yes ED has the gall to charge for content that was stated at the very beginning would be in paid expansions, how dare they.  
    edited September 2015
    bartoni33 said:

yes ED has the gall to charge for content that was stated at the very beginning would be in paid expansions, how dare they.  
    Wait, you mean that what I bought is supposed to be it? I'm pretty sure I read on their site that planetary landings and all that jazz were coming soon after the game launched (I bought it before it "went live"). I did not see anywhere that they were going to make it a separate game. Although it has been awhile since I bought it. Holy crap if that's true then I was sure stupid to buy it. The game I own is a barebones space sim.

Is their any possibility that they are going to add (any) content to the barebones space part? Or are they now focusing on the rest of the game? If they add something, anything, to the space part I might try to play it again.

BTW I wasn't trolling, although that goes without saying. I had high hopes for ED considering the lack of space sims and the length of time it's going to take for SC to arrive. I mean FFS I paid around $50 for a ship in SC and I'm getting a SP game (Squadron 42) with both space and ground games and a persistent multiplayer world to boot, also with space and ground. For the same amount for ED I'm getting a Trade sim in space with no content, no walking in space stations much less an avatar. Even if it was known that the rest of the game was behind a paywall SC is still a much better deal.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited September 2015
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:

yes ED has the gall to charge for content that was stated at the very beginning would be in paid expansions, how dare they.  
    Wait, you mean that what I bought is supposed to be it? I'm pretty sure I read on their site that planetary landings and all that jazz were coming soon after the game launched (I bought it before it "went live"). I did not see anywhere that they were going to make it a separate game. Although it has been awhile since I bought it. Holy crap if that's true then I was sure stupid to buy it. The game I own is a barebones space sim.

Is their any possibility that they are going to add (any) content to the barebones space part? Or are they now focusing on the rest of the game? If they add something, anything, to the space part I might try to play it again.

BTW I wasn't trolling, although that goes without saying. I had high hopes for ED considering the lack of space sims and the length of time it's going to take for SC to arrive. I mean FFS I paid around $50 for a ship in SC and I'm getting a SP game (Squadron 42) with both space and ground games and a persistent multiplayer world to boot, also with space and ground. For the same amount for ED I'm getting a Trade sim in space with no content, no walking in space stations much less an avatar. Even if it was known that the rest of the game was behind a paywall SC is still a much better deal.

You read wrong, planetary landing, walking around and many other things was stated at the time of Kickstarter to be in payed expansions.  Who said they were making a separate game?  You still seem to suffer from reading things incorrectly.  The Horizon expansion will do what most expansions do, add new features and content to the base game, mean while free content will be added to the base game.  With in the season of Horizons, a new loot and crafting system will be added to the base game (meaning that if you just own the base game you will get to use those systems).  It is unknown how many other features will also be applied to the base game.

SC can afford to sell its game for a cheaper price because it makes its money selling power to its players, going down the P2W direction is what allows SC to sell a cheaper base game.  I am very glad that ED is not even close to the P2W nature of SC.  Also it is unknown when or if SC will ship or what the gameplay will be like.  It is best to compare reality to reality, not reality (ED) to your imagination (SC).  You complain that ED is selling expansion while SC already has confirmed DLC, and is selling everything for real money that is in game (perhaps, after 4 years of development here is still no real game).    

But you are clearly trolling, as there is way more to ED then trading, but you know this and are just spitting out BS.    
    edited September 2015
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:

You read wrong, planetary landing, walking around and many other things was stated at the time of Kickstarter to be in payed expansions.  Who said they were making a separate game?  You still seem to suffer from reading things incorrectly.  The Horizon expansion will do what most expansions do, add new features and content to the base game, mean while free content will be added to the base game.  With in the season of Horizons, a new loot and crafting system will be added to the base game (meaning that if you just own the base game you will get to use those systems).  It is unknown how many other features will also be applied to the base game.

SC can afford to sell its game for a cheaper price because it makes its money selling power to its players, going down the P2W direction is what allows SC to sell a cheaper base game.  I am very glad that ED is not even close to the P2W nature of SC.  Also it is unknown when or if SC will ship or what the gameplay will be like.  It is best to compare reality to reality, not reality (ED) to your imagination (SC).  You complain that ED is selling expansion while SC already has confirmed DLC, and is selling everything for real money that is in game (perhaps, after 4 years of development here is still no real game).    

But you are clearly trolling, as there is way more to ED then trading, but you know this and are just spitting out BS.    
    OK I'll bite!

I didn't KS so I don't know what was stated there. I just saw what was on the FD page when i bought it. By "separate game" I mean having a full game for the full price I paid, not piecing it out. I'm glad to hear that they are adding to the base game. I hope that it will be worth checking out when the expansion goes live.

I don't understand what you mean by P2W? SC is not a competition. It is not a Korean grinder. In fact that whole second paragraph is so full of misinfo it looks like you are the one trolling. I'll let @Erillion handle that nonsense, he knows more about it than I do.

Please tell me what I can do in ED other than trade, seriously. I haven't played in about 4 months. I'm not trolling, you can look at my post history to see that. Again, I really wanted to like ED but there is nothing to do.

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:

You paid 50$ and you are still " getting " your Squadron 42 and Persistent multiplayer world. Why? What wrong buddy? Did your CD got lost in a mail? Did the post office had a " week off " and they can't seem to come back from a vacation? Or Does your internet can't connect to the Game download web page?

That's so sad. But don't worry i am sure for another 50$ they fix that problem for you by adding another Star System to that Persistent world that you are still " getting ".

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    This is unexpected. I honestly didnt expect so much good things added

edited September 2015
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:

OK I'll bite!

I didn't KS so I don't know what was stated there. I just saw what was on the FD page when i bought it. By "separate game" I mean having a full game for the full price I paid, not piecing it out. I'm glad to hear that they are adding to the base game. I hope that it will be worth checking out when the expansion goes live.

I don't understand what you mean by P2W? SC is not a competition. It is not a Korean grinder. In fact that whole second paragraph is full of misinfo it looks like you are the one trolling. I'll let @Erillion handle that nonsense, he knows more about it than I do.

Please tell me what I can do in ED other than trade, seriously. I haven't played in about 4 months. I'm not trolling, you can look at my post history to see that. Again, I really wanted to like ED but there is nothging to do.
    [mod edit]

Actually SC does have competition, you can't opt out of PVP, so hey competition.  SC has limited resources in game, jump points, cap ships, stations, all things that players will compete for.  All things that players that spend real money will have an advantage getting.  How about racing? Yep the players that spent real money will have an advantage winning those PVP races.  How can you say it does not have competition?  It has tons of it.

So you looked into ED and you didn't know about, mining, smuggling, bounty hunting, pirating, player created racing, heck combat in general.  I really have a hard time believing that you own the game and played it and didn't know the ships had weapons attached.  Heck the training missions have you attack other ships.     

Post edited by Vaross on
    edited September 2015
    Jonas_SG said:
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:

You paid 50$ and you are still " getting " your Squadron 42 and Persistent multiplayer world. Why? What wrong buddy? Did your CD got lost in a mail? Did the post office had a " week off " and they can't seem to come back from a vacation? Or Does your internet can't connect to the Game download web page?

That's so sad. But don't worry i am sure for another 50$ they fix that problem for you by adding another Star System to that Persistent world that you are still " getting ".

Heh I remember the first time I got really stoned...

Anyway the game is still in development. That means that they are still working on it. "Working" means that people are doing fancy computer-type stuff to get everything to work together so their is a playable game with content. SC being a whole universe simulator that is not being broken up into nice pieces to be doled out for cash for each piece will take awhile to make. I like most people are happy to wait for it to be done. That is why I bought ED, to pass the time. That apparently was a mistake on my part. But I'm OK with that because I did my part to support the Space Sim genre.

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on

edited September 2015
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:

OK I'll bite!

I don't understand what you mean by P2W? SC is not a competition. It is not a Korean grinder. In fact that whole second paragraph is full of misinfo it looks like you are the one trolling. I'll let @Erillion handle that nonsense, he knows more about it than I do.

Please tell me what I can do in ED other than trade, seriously. I haven't played in about 4 months. I'm not trolling, you can look at my post history to see that. Again, I really wanted to like ED but there is nothging to do.
    LOL what misinformation? So more BS from you ok, just keep trolling.  Its either you are trolling or you are really misinformed and did a horrible job at reading into the game you purchase or talk about.    

Actually SC does have competition, you can't opt out of PVP, so hey competition.  SC has limited resources in game, jump points, cap ships, stations, all things that players will compete for.  All things that players that spend real money will have an advantage getting.  How about racing? Yep the players that spent real money will have an advantage winning those PVP races.  How can you say it does not have competition?  It has tons of it.

So you looked into ED and you didn't know about, mining, smuggling, bounty hunting, pirating, player created racing, heck combat in general.  I really have a hard time believing that you own the game and played it and didn't know the ships had weapons attached.  Heck the training missions have you attack other ships.     

At the risk of inflating your already bulging E-peen I must not have read the fine print on the pay-walling of content. My mistake.

I understand that SC has other people playing. But you never have to spend money to get any of that stuff. You can earn credits in-game for that. If someone uses RMT in this game then they must have more money that sense. BTW you are mistaken if you think I'm OK with all the RMTing going on in SC. I think it sucks, but not because of any PtW or whatever BS. I just want them to make the fucking thing already. I look down upon anyone that spends $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in SC just because they are Tommy Trustfund. We agree there. No whiteknighting here. See I can be rational about a game I like, try it.

OK your last paragraph has piqued my interest! I didn't know about any of that other than combat in general. I never saw anyone other than other players to fight (and I have zero interest in doing so). Those things must have been introduced after I bought it. Again see I can be rational in a discussion. I don't have to throw around names!

EDIT: According to Raptr I have 13 hours in ED but it doesn't say the last time I played it anywhere. I pretty sure it's been at least 4 months ago, maybe more.

bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:

Wait, you mean that what I bought is supposed to be it? I'm pretty sure I read on their boot, also with space and ground. For the same amount for ED I'm getting a Trade sim in space with no content, no walking in space stations much less an avatar. Even if it was known that the rest of the game was behind a paywall SC is still a much better deal.

OK I'll bite!

LOL what misinformation? So more BS from you ok, just keep trolling.  Its either you are trolling or you are really misinformed and did a horrible job at reading into the game you purchase or talk about.    

At the risk of inflating your already bulging E-peen I must not have read the fine print on the pay-walling of content. My mistake.

I understand that SC has other people playing. But you never have to spend money to get any of that stuff. You can earn credits in-game for that. If someone uses RMT in this game then they must have more money that sense. BTW you are mistaken if you think I'm OK with all the RMTing going on in SC. I think it sucks, but not because of any PtW or whatever BS. I just want them to make the fucking thing already. I look down upon anyone that spends $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in SC just because they are Tommy Trustfund. We agree there. No whiteknighting here. See I can be rational about a game I like, try it.

OK your last paragraph has piqued my interest! I didn't know about any of that other than combat in general. I never saw anyone other than other players to fight (and I have zero interest in doing so). Those things must have been introduced after I bought it. Again see I can be rational in a discussion. I don't have to throw around names!

EDIT: According to Raptr I have 13 hours in ED but it doesn't say the last time I played it anywhere. I pretty sure it's been at least 4 months ago, maybe more.
    LOL, what did I say that indicated E-peen?  Oh right nothing, just more BS.  It has been stated sense Kickstarter and has been said again multiple times that ED would have paid content that would be released as expansions.  Your insistence of warping facts, calling an expansion "pay-walling", is just more indication of your trolling.  Now if you want to talk about pay-walling, just look to AC (SC) and its pay-wall it had up for some time, even now if you want to get around it you have to grind for hours just so that you can Rent and grind more next week.         

So what if you don't have to spend anything to get that stuff?  That is not the definition of P2W, never has been.  Just because you can earn it in game, it does not mean its not P2W.  SC is selling power its its players, that power will allow the players to have an advantage in PVP, racing, and getting rare resources like cap-ships, stations, jump-points, and other limited resources (player run factories, if that is still a thing).    

Those ED activities have been in game from the start, although mining was "improved" sense launch (added mining drones and such).  Not sure why you didn't see them.  Much like I don't know how you didn't see that SC would have competition,    
  • Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    edited September 2015
    bartoni33 said:
    Jonas_SG said:
    bartoni33 said: 

Heh I remember the first time I got really stoned...

Anyway the game is still in development. That means that they are still working on it. "Working" means that people are doing fancy computer-type stuff to get everything to work together so their is a playable game with content. SC being a whole universe simulator that is not being broken up into nice pieces to be doled out for cash for each piece will take awhile to make. I like most people are happy to wait for it to be done. That is why I bought ED, to pass the time. That apparently was a mistake on my part. But I'm OK with that because I did my part to support the Space Sim genre.

@TheYear1500 Now there is a troll! See the difference between my posts and @Jonas_SG ?

You problem is not ED, but it's the jealousy for it. ED did what SC couldn't with a budget of 25 times less. ED build a Persistent Universe and now it's adding stuff to it, while in SC Persistant Universe the only thing it's adding is more promises. And no amount of money will speed that process. That's why you keep on coming to ED topics to pick fights.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited October 2015
    My problem with ED, and I actually like a lot about it, is that it's essentially a bunch of well-implemented gameplay SYSTEMS.

What I need to really delve into it is CONTENT - not more systems.

No, I'm not talking about a gigantic amount of samey planets or a bunch of barren moons with "loot" on them.

I'm talking about actual content in the form of story-based missions and fleshed-out NPCs - unique landing locations with absolutely unique visuals.

Stuff like that.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Just a quick question.  Is it best to wait and buy the expansion or is it worth jumping in and buying the game now?
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    If you wait it's £40. If you buy now it's £60 (with £10 off discount). Only you can decide if 10 weeks or so of gaming before Horizons comes out is worth that additional £20.
    Next week it releases on XBox, it's possible they'll offer some discount to PC/Mac as a marketing thing.