Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Official Reply to layoff rumours

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/25/9399345/star-citizen-is-reorganizing-its-teams-not-conducting-layoffs

"Rumors have been circulating the past few days that Cloud Imperium Games, the parent company of Roberts Space Industries and the makers of Star Citizen, is laying off staff. But in a statement provided to Polygon, CIG says things are all going according to plan."

"Cloud Imperium Games continues to grow its development team across CIG's multiple studios," the statement reads. ...."

"As a result we are moving some jobs and eliminating some redundant positions between some of our offices, as well as increasing them in others. The net result over the next few months will actually be an increase in our global internal employee base."

This basically means Erin Roberts - Chris Roberts brother and Global Production Head manager for Star Citizen - is reorganizing the company. While Chris Roberts - most famous for his creative and visionary approach to games - has been criticised for his management style, Erin Roberts is well known and respected as an efficient game industry lead manager. IMHO together they form a very good team.

Have fun

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It's very beautiful term for a layoff, but when a thing like this happens people with families are still being told that as they are unable to move to another continent they're now being laid off.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    From one of the persons being laid off:

Alyssa Delo's Tweet:
    Guys - don't believe everything you read on the internet. The sky isn't falling. Geez.
    Source: https://twitter.com/AlyssaDelo

Have fun
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    how much they pay you?
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    All I know is, I came back to check what had been added after many many months....it looked the same
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited September 2015
    Erillion said:
    IMHO together they form a very good team.

Nothing in your opinion is ever humble. If I wouldn't know your post history and how biased you are I would maybe believe a bit of what you say.

Star Citizen is your religion and I dont like religious talks in any rational debate.

p.s. I could be wrong but I suspect you are somehow connected to them. If you are and you are doing  a shady pr campaign here i must say you are also very unethical.
    Does quoting the people affected by the layoffs with their own words  and linking articles from gaming journalists having spoken to the company sound like a religion to you ? I prefer facts directly from the primary sources over internet rumours from people i consider not trustworthy (a la The Smarty).

Have fun
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I like how they are keeping everything at the top in the family. That point alone raises a lot more questions than answers. Also when I went to bed last night i said to my self, there will be a comment about how everything is fine and nothing to see here.

I hate it when am right. A journalist should have wanted more answers than what he was spoon fed in that article. We have gone past just spoon fed damage control, we need the books opened to see exactly what is going on. Personally if it was me doing a story about SC and possible corruption, I would start looking at Roberts (not his brother) and getting on the record answers from him and ask if he has a problem opening the books to where the money has gone from his gamer backers.

What I find funny with my first paragraph is this is like an episode from NCIS or Law and Order.

Have a nice gaming day!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited September 2015
    Erillion said:
    Does quoting the people affected by the layoffs with their own words  and linking articles from gaming journalists having spoken to the company sound like a religion to you ? I prefer facts directly from the primary sources over internet rumours from people i consider not trustworthy (a la The Smarty).

Have fun
    People can go and read your post history. Have you ever written anything remotely critical about Star Citizen?
    Moreover if you are not connected to them and have internal sources or first hand information you are also only an "internet rumour considered not trustworthy". I simply pointed that out.

Thinking that everything CIG serves to the public is an established fact is a bigger problem though and the reason I called you religious.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Want to buy a ship?
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    People can go and read your post history. Have you ever written anything remotely critical about Star Citizen?
    Moreover if you are not connected to them and have internal sources or first hand information you are also only an "internet rumour considered not trustworthy". I simply pointed that out.

Thinking that everything CIG serves to the public is an established fact is a bigger problem though and the reason I called you religious.
    An example for criticism:
    I have criticised CIG for the planned crafting system, suggesting a system like the one used in Star Wars Galaxies. Where someone could make a name for himself/herself as a shipwright, crafting items better than the average crafter if (s)he has the skill and dedication. A career path for non-combat oriented commanders, like you could do in SWG. However, such a system is usually very much hated by most of the PvP oriented players, as they have to rely on other players for optimal equipment. So CIG decided to do the current 90:10  (NPC:PC) crafting system with uniform crafting results. I do not like that approach.

Internet rumour:
    I consider an interview between a journalist of a well known gaming website and a gaming company representative not a rumour.  No internal sources required for that. You only have to be able to use Google ;-)

I do not think that everything CIG reports to the public is gospel. Thats why companies have marketing departments - and use them. I especially consider any mentioned "release date" a suggestion at best.

But that is why this project is done via crowdfunding instead of through a normal publisher.  A vast majority of backers told Chris Roberts "Take as much time as is needed to get it right ..." ..... that is also my position. Iteration and redoing things until they work is  normal procedure for the gaming industry .... thats not only my opinion, but also that of Sid Meier, whom i consider one of the "giants" of this field. So patience is a virtue if you are a crowdfunding backer - at least if you want a good result. Crowdfunding is nothing for the instant gratification crowd. 

In crowdfunding every backer is also a promoter. You find that already in the Wikipedia definition of crowdfunding. If backers are not convinced of a project, they would not back it in the first place. Again ... no need for anything approaching religion.

Its easy to say "That cannot be done!". "No one has done that before, so it will never be possible ..."

Until someone comes and does it.

Have fun
  • LunarshadeLunarshade Member UncommonPosts: 25
    How much are they paying to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic I may Apply!
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    how much they pay you?

The OP is so transparent its bordering on the hilarious.  
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Brenics said:
    I like how they are keeping everything at the top in the family. That point alone raises a lot more questions than answers. Also when I went to bed last night i said to my self, there will be a comment about how everything is fine and nothing to see here.

I hate it when am right. A journalist should have wanted more answers than what he was spoon fed in that article. We have gone past just spoon fed damage control, we need the books opened to see exactly what is going on. Personally if it was me doing a story about SC and possible corruption, I would start looking at Roberts (not his brother) and getting on the record answers from him and ask if he has a problem opening the books to where the money has gone from his gamer backers.

What I find funny with my first paragraph is this is like an episode from NCIS or Law and Order.

Have a nice gaming day!
    Derek Smart?  I didn't know you posted here....
    ragz45 said:
    Brenics said:

Have a nice gaming day!
    I gave you a LOL, if you check my posts from when I signed up here and check out BigM over at ESO, you will see am not DS, in fact first name is Marty.

I do wish I could get my original BigM nick back here can't use it because connected to a wideopenwest email. :(

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Brenics said:
    ragz45 said:
    Brenics said:

Have a nice gaming day!
    I gave you a LOL, if you check my posts from when I signed up here and check out BigM over at ESO, you will see am not DS, in fact first name is Marty.

I do wish I could get my original BigM nick back here can't use it because connected to a wideopenwest email. :(

To many posters on this forum anyone who has an opinion that is adverse to either SC, CIG, or Chris Roberts is immediately tagged as being Derek Smart.  They can't seem to be able to comprehend the basic notion that one doesn't have to like, or even know, Derek Smart to agree with his message.  
  • MeleconMelecon Member UncommonPosts: 74
    edited September 2015
    Brenics said:

Have a nice gaming day!
    What Right do you have to say how a company is run, and demand them to open the books?

And don't give me that crap about being a concerned customer. As a Customer you have the right to not be a Customer anymore, and demand a refund. Which I'm pretty sure they refunded and this point. If they haven't show the proof and take it to the BBB.

As a Backer, you might want to read the rights you have at that point. As the rights are very specific as to what you can do, and it amounts to not much. It clearly states you are not an investor, but an early Customer with guarantees of a finished product at the end. If there is even a finished product. If the campaign fails and the goods are not deliverable then Kickstarter will get involved. If you backed the game through their site you are just another Customer please see above. 

If you are an Investor (and I think you are not, as it is not publicly traded company), you can take it to your Shareholder meetings and start a vote of non confidence.

Until then keep quiet and go fix your own game before we start in on that one.

P.S. Was a rant at the situation not that I think you are DS.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Brenics said:

You do know there are a lot of very successful companies out there that are completely family driven for generations right?

/schrug
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Game isnt released yet, and allready they are lying off people. Good luck waiting for that release....

Melecon said:
    Brenics said:

Have a nice gaming day!
    What Right do you have to say how a company is run, and demand them to open the books?

And don't give me that crap about being a concerned customer. As a Customer you have the right to not be a Customer anymore, and demand a refund. Which I'm pretty sure they refunded and this point. If they haven't show the proof and take it to the BBB.

As a Backer, you might want to read the rights you have at that point. As the rights are very specific as to what you can do, and it amounts to not much. It clearly states you are not an investor, but an early Customer with guarantees of a finished product at the end. If there is even a finished product. If the campaign fails and the goods are not deliverable then Kickstarter will get involved. If you backed the game through their site you are just another Customer please see above. 

If you are an Investor (and I think you are not, as it is not publicly traded company), you can take it to your Shareholder meetings and start a vote of non confidence.

Until then keep quiet and go fix your own game before we start in on that one.

P.S. Was a rant at the situation not that I think you are DS.
    ROFL, that hit a nerve, did it go very deep? I must have really said something that has some people scared. I know if I was Roberts right now I would be scared, because you do not need to be a rocket scientist to see something is just not right with him and this game.

@JeroKane yes i do know their are creditable family's that run companies. But this one is not one of them. Way to many things smell fishy with this one.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    I find it funny that the two sides fighting here seems to think that only two outcomes are possible for this game: Total succes or total failure.

I find it far more likely that it will not hit either of these but end up somewhere in the range between those two extremes.
  • WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Erillion said:

Alyssa Delo's Tweet:
    Guys - don't believe everything you read on the internet. The sky isn't falling. Geez.

Have fun
    I can tell this one stung the haters bad. Basically, this can be summed up as saying: "Derek Smart shouldn't be believed."
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    With all the people buying these ridiculously priced ships I can't believe they are running out of any money.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Warley said:
    Erillion said:

Alyssa Delo's Tweet:

Have fun
    I can tell this one stung the haters bad. Basically, this can be summed up as saying: "Derek Smart shouldn't be believed."
    LOL so because she said that it hurt people? I fail to see why it would, women lie you know. More so when it is their time of month. :p

Brenics said:
    ... I know if I was Roberts right now I would be scared, ...
    He does not sound scared to me:

"....I am happy to see feedback, whether positive OR negative because it shows people are invested, which is immensely gratifying when you're building a destination like Star Citizen. It would be far more depressing / annoying / disappointing that no one cared enough to comment one way or the other. ....

Having said that there are ways to voice negative feedback that increase its likelihood of being listened to. .......
    This isn't so much for me as I have pretty thick skin....."

Neither does  Ortwin Freyermuth (the other owner of CIG):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4497650/15-09-03_rsi-response-to-demand-letter.pdf

Sounds to me more like he thoroughly enjoyed writing the points in  that letter ;-), especially the "never downloaded, never played" part.

Have fun

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    how much they pay you?

The OP is so transparent its bordering on the hilarious.  
    Yeap, I smell shill.