Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a frequently updated sandbox with a stable community with no item shop?

seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
edited September 2015 in LFGame
Does it exist? Looking for a (preferrably fantasy) sandbox game that is not an item shop, which is still supported and has at least a stable population/community (doesn't have to be large). Doesn't have to be a new game, or super fancy, as long as it's got the above requirements. Indie games with lots of love put into them work, doesn't have to be a big name. Thanks!

Originally posted by Scagweed22
is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

Comments

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Any preferred pay model? And by frequently updated do you mean new content or just high attention to bug fixing?

Personally I've had a lot of fun with [the fantasy games] Darkfall: Unholy Wars and Mortal Online. Though they may not be your cup of tea, and I catch a lot of *expletive* for even trying to discuss them... Sci-Fi-wise EvE and Perpetuum are awesome, I plan on checking out Elite Dangerous next week as well.
  • seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Any preferred pay model? And by frequently updated do you mean new content or just high attention to bug fixing?

Personally I've had a lot of fun with [the fantasy games] Darkfall: Unholy Wars and Mortal Online. Though they may not be your cup of tea, and I catch a lot of *expletive* for even trying to discuss them... Sci-Fi-wise EvE and Perpetuum are awesome, I plan on checking out Elite Dangerous next week as well.
    Well, I wouldn't mind a monthly fee if I was into the game. I played both DF and MO back in their beta's and liked them both, especially Darkfall. I'm more into PVE though, have they grown in that regard?

is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

Darkfall:UW has kind of grown in the PvE regard, but not in any meaningful way. They added a kind of daily prowess mission system, and placed a few more rules into siege and naval gameplay... As for Mortal, I don't have enough experience in the game as a whole quite yet to answer that, though there have been some good improvements in over-all quality with the steam release earlier this month. (I'll be at two months played time in the next short week.)
    Before I forget... Though low-fantasy. You can slide 10 bones over for early access to Gloria Victus, fantastic game, but still in alpha.
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Project gorgon or Gloria Victus...
     DF:UW which I will be unsubbing in about a week...is crap they patch once then do 27 patches to fix what they broke with the 1st patch....they always add/subtract crap no one asked for which breaks the game for a lot of people and unless you use radar hack(which a metric-!@# ton of people use) or buy gold via duels in order to close the current gap with gear you will be murdered and looted more then you will play. We have had more people quit then stay and soon it will be a repeat of darkfall 1.0..... 100 people playing mostly super vets with better gear then you will ever see let alone craft....I have played for years and I strongly urge you NOT to spend your money with AV.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Gloria Victus was not even on my radar for some reason.  I'll be picking that up.  

MO is free up to a certain amount of skill points I believe and I think DFU has a new trial as well.  I might look into those again as well.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• NektarisNektaris Member UncommonPosts: 3
    @OP Try Haven&Hearth and Salem
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Try Darkfall it is one of the best PvP centric game.
    Player driven Economy
    Territory Conquest 
    Good crafting

Overall a nice Sandbox MMO if you like PvP

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    edited September 2015
    DF and MO are both crap. Don't waste your time on those. Both are plagued by low player numbers, very buggy and exploited games, and are poorly run by shady companies that have lied and broken promises more than can be remembered.

There are some games on the horizon, but not even close to release. Or release quality.

Right now, there is pretty much EvE and that's it.

MMORPGs are in a real rut now, with crappy, poorly made indie efforts, P2W Asian imports, and inch deep themepark retreads. Many of the formerly big players in the MMORPG space have gone under, been sold, are out of money, or no longer make MMORPGs.

If this gaming segment is going to recover, it will be a while.

Burntvet said:
    DF and MO are both crap. Don't waste your time on those. Both are plagued by low player numbers, very buggy and exploited games, and are poorly run by shady companies that have lied and broken promises more than can be remembered.

i disagree vehemently.
    DF and MO are not in the same league.
    I played both, and MO doesn't even come close to DF quality.
    MO is just a buggy, clunky and tedius game.

DF on the other hand has a much better engine with fluid graphics, the bugs are all but gone, and the exploits are now not worse than any other MMO.
    DF gameplay as a whole is more enjoyable, the comunity is engaged and passionate, there is politics, best PvP I played, and lots of sandboxy things to do that don't bore you to tears like in MO.

It has a trial, I say try it.
    What's to lose?

ste2000 said:
    Burntvet said:

i disagree vehemently.
    DF and MO are not in the same league.
    I played both, and MO doesn't even come close to DF quality.
    MO is just a buggy, clunky and tedius game.

DF on the other hand has a much better engine with fluid graphics, the bugs are all but gone, and the exploits are now not worse than any other MMO.
    DF gameplay as a whole is more enjoyable, the comunity is engaged and passionate, there is politics, best PvP I played, and lots of sandboxy things to do that don't bore you to tears like in MO.

It has a trial, I say try it.
    What's to lose?

That's like saying getting cancer is better than getting ebola, one is worse than the other, but neither are what you'd call good.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Ozreth said:
    Does it exist?
    ARK is getting a ridiculous amount of updates. You get a content patch at least once a week, witch daily bugfix patches and minor content additions. I've never seen a game so looked after in my life.
  • SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Runescape started a new version of the game last week, it is open world PvP everywhere. F2P, if you pay for membership then you earn 50% more exp. No item shop right now, who knows what will happen in the future. The new version has a fresh start, so every character starts from lvl 3, the veteran RS players have to start from fresh too. It's a sandbox, huge amount of content, open world PvP with full loot, NPC guards in cities to attack skulled (PK) players, regional banks (there are 3 regions with different level of risk), no teleport while carrying items, fantasy settings and a lot of players. I suggest to check it out :)
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    edited September 2015
    Our 64 player version is launching in October and the MMO beta tests begin early next year.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/435452/interview-life-is-feudal-passion-dedication-set-the-game-apart

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/18/8982243/finding-civilization-the-future-of-life-is-feudal 

We are a realistic simulation though. No magic fireballs, unless you count naptha grenades.

edit - picking up a copy of the 64 player version grants a character in the mmo as well.
    Burntvet said:
    ste2000 said:

That's like saying getting cancer is better than getting ebola, one is worse than the other, but neither are what you'd call good.
    No, you are way off mark
    I call Darkfall a good game, because it is.

If you don't like this kind of games is another matter, but Darkfall is a pretty decent MMO.
    It is not for everyone, it is a FFA PvP game after all, and that's a rather small niche.

ste2000 said:
    Burntvet said:
    ste2000 said:

No, you are way off mark

If you don't like this kind of games is another matter, but Darkfall is a pretty decent MMO.
    It is not for everyone, it is a FFA PvP game after all, and that's a rather small niche.
    Disagree all you like... all of the people that quit DF2.0 (and it is most all of the them) did not quit because the game was good.

There were allegations that so few people were playing DF, that AV could not make payroll a month or two back.

So, you like the game... fine.

Most people that ever tried it, don't, and a lot of people even want DF1 back (and wasn't that a mess) because it was "better". Several threads about that.

The OP want's a "good" sandbox to play, and frankly, there is EvE and then an ocean of garbage of everything else.
    Burntvet said:
    ste2000 said:

Disagree all you like... all of the people that quit DF2.0 (and it is most all of the them) did not quit because the game was good.

There were allegations that so few people were playing DF, that AV could not make payroll a month or two back.

People are leaving DF UO because they liked the first version more, DFUO is too "carebear" according to them.
    DF and DFUO are very different indeed.
    So it is about game design not technical problems like you were trying to imply originally associating it with MO which is a disaster in every area.

As I said this is a niche game so obviously you won't see huge numbers of people playing it.
    But if someone likes this kind of games it is quite enjoyable.

The reason why I don't play it, is because it doesn't have enough PvE, it has nothing to do with the quality of the game per se.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 407
    @ste2000
    you have to be getting paid by AV if your not then I want what your on.....Played df1 for years with a hope it would get better denied....played DF2.0 since beta and finally I and many others have had enough... the game is back to dead in 1 month once people realize they were hood winked just like the last big "Patch"....you can say DF2.0 is a good game but the simple fact is it isn't. Just like the econ patch they have already screwed with the recipes yet again and are now pretty much the same as before the econ patch .....so pretty much they did an econ patch so they could wipe peoples banks then they just short of reverted the changes......I really don't understand how anyone could call DF2.0 a "good" game let alone fun the only people that think its fun are hackers exploiters and people who are just crafters.....the radar hacks are so bad right now the people using them don't even hide it....

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Burntvet said:
    ste2000 said:
    Burntvet said:
    ste2000 said:

No, you are way off mark

So, you like the game... fine.

Most people that ever tried it, don't, and a lot of people even want DF1 back (and wasn't that a mess) because it was "better". Several threads about that.

The OP want's a "good" sandbox to play, and frankly, there is EvE and then an ocean of garbage of everything else.
    Eve is not a true sandbox mmo, the OP is better of giving Wurm Online a try. It has a small community but the game is everything a sandbox mmo should be. If he can look beyond the dated graphic then that's the game he should be looking at.

OP be careful what you wish for, many have said they wanted a true sandbox game only to realize they are not that hardcore after all. Wurm Online will decide for you.

@ste2000
    you have to be getting paid by AV if your not then I want what your on.....Played df1 for years with a hope it would get better denied....played DF2.0 since beta and finally I and many others have had enough... the game is back to dead in 1 month once people realize they were hood winked just like the last big "Patch"....you can say DF2.0 is a good game but the simple fact is it isn't.
    You are just supporting what I just said.
    People are leaving DF 2.0 because they prefered the original, it's about design directions, that has nothing to do with MO much has much bigger issues.

I also said that DF is a niche game, so obviously it is strugling.
    I always said that FFA PvP games they will never be popular, and I suggested many times in their official forums and here that if DF were to succeed Aventurine needed to cut back on the harcore PvP design and look at how EvE does it, where PvP and PvE players can happily co-exists.

With DF 2.0 they tried to go that way, but they didn't go too far to attract new players (PvE) while at the same time they went too far alienating the existing customers (hardcore PvPers)

Even as it is DF is a decent game, a new player without baggage (that hasn't played the original) might actually like it.
    There is a trial, and I think the OP might like it, there is not much other choice anyway.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    edited September 2015
    Saxx0n said:
    Our 64 player version is launching in October and the MMO beta tests begin early next year.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/435452/interview-life-is-feudal-passion-dedication-set-the-game-apart

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/18/8982243/finding-civilization-the-future-of-life-is-feudal 

We are a realistic simulation though. No magic fireballs, unless you count naptha grenades.

edit - picking up a copy of the 64 player version grants a character in the mmo as well.
    the 64 player version, as in, LiF:YO?

If so, I'll be picking that up straight away. I've been following the development for a couple of years now. I love(d) WURM, but found it too slow to keep me interested long term (6 months+). I hear LiF is just as slow to get anything done. I really think you guys would do well to increase the speed of crafting. Maybe 30%. I know, I know...who am I, right? Just IMHO. Take care and good luck!

Joined - July 2004

edited September 2015
    Thanks for all of the replies. So far I am leaning towards giving DF another go (with lots of skepticism), checking out Wurm Online and ARK has actually been on my radar for awhile so maybe it's time to try that. As far as being wary of a sandbox game and thinking it might not be what I want, my earliest MMO's were EQ, FFXI and a game called Dark Ages (not of camelot) so I'm used to both hardcore and sandbox gameplay elements and miss the style. I do also enjoy more themepark style games and am currently subbed to FFXIV. Also, im not vehemently against the cash shop model but for obvious reasons would prefer to avoid it, but would give one a shot if the game intrigued me enough :)

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Ozreth said:
    Thanks for all of the replies. So far I am leaning towards giving DF another go (with lots of skepticism), checking out Wurm Online and ARK has actually been on my radar for awhile so maybe it's time to try that. As far as being wary of a sandbox game and thinking it might not be what I want, my earliest MMO's were EQ, FFXI and a game called Dark Ages (not of camelot) so I'm used to both hardcore and sandbox gameplay elements and miss the style. I do also enjoy more themepark style games and am currently subbed to FFXIV. Also, im not vehemently against the cash shop model but for obvious reasons would prefer to avoid it, but would give one a shot if the game intrigued me enough :)
    If you are interested in themepark with lots of endgame and level scaling option, i will suggest Rift, well i suggest everyone Rift since i am a fanboy but honestly that is the one game that you will be able to enjoy without even looking at cash shop. Wait no, you have to look at cash shop since you sell all of your trash items in cash shop to clear your bag :pleased: .

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Ozreth said:
    If you are interested in themepark with lots of endgame and level scaling option, i will suggest Rift, well i suggest everyone Rift since i am a fanboy but honestly that is the one game that you will be able to enjoy without even looking at cash shop. Wait no, you have to look at cash shop since you sell all of your trash items in cash shop to clear your bag :pleased: .
    Ah sorry, I didnt mean that I am also looking into themepark games, I am quite happy with FFXIV, I just meant that I'm not of the "sandbox or nothing" mentality and know what I'm getting into when looking for a sandbox (or close to sandbox) style game. 

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Ozreth said:
    Does it exist? Looking for a (preferrably fantasy) sandbox game that is not an item shop, which is still supported and has at least a stable population/community (doesn't have to be large). Doesn't have to be a new game, or super fancy, as long as it's got the above requirements. Indie games with lots of love put into them work, doesn't have to be a big name. Thanks!
    There are only 3 games that fit that, darkfall, and Mortal online dont. Darkfall doesnt have a stable community, and is falling apart. Mortal Online 100 percent doesnt have a stable community, they are a bunch of fruits over there, and I am not joking, they are literally all insane. 

The 3 games that have a stable community, population, is a sandbox, doesnt have a cash shop are. SWG EMU, EQ project 1999, and RYzom. Ryzom being the only none emulated game there. SWG has no payment system at all other than donations, same with project 1999. Ryzom is free till level 125, and then its 10 bucks a month. All 3 have stable communitys around 1000 players each. EQ is the least sandboxy out of the 3, but it is still more of a sand box mmo, than mortal online and dark fall put together. Dark fall isnt even a sandbox, it is a grinding pvp arena, and mortal online is a sandbox, but has so many bugs, and bad communities, you will run away.