Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe I've outgrown games?

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I am in a similar position. . 41.  I keep starting and then stopping games.  The sad thing is that this has also now transferred into single player games!   Pillars of Eternity. . etc.  I just can't keep interested even though I "want" to play a game like that.

Part of my problem is that I started playing around with programming and game design.  Now I find that consuming the medium is just not nearly as interesting as creating it.  Once you get a taste you just can't quite. . but I used to think that way about MMOs :)

If you have not tried it yet. . give Path of Exile a shot.  I passed it over the first time after 5 minutes but now find I am loving it. . Diablo II MMO type hybrid that is free with just cosmetic items in the shop.

Let me know if you find a game that interests you.  Let me know if you find anything.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    wow, nice trailer, looks as CG
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Self induced burnout.

What you are looking for will never be found in a game.

You are not the same person as you were back then. People change, priorities change, and games change.

Worse thing you people that all say the same thing all the time (all games suck now) can do is to keep buying, and or, trying about every game that comes by.

The more you try to push it looking for that old feeling the more that bored and discontented feeling hangs around.

A long break away from games, as in months not days or weeks, MAY help. But totally depends on the person. If they keep trying to find something that is not there in games that they need to find in themselves...well welcome to the graveyard of a lot like that here on these boards.

Should fit right in with the rest that look in all the wrong places for those old time feelings:)

Just a bit of truth in all the other noise ...
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Make a suit of armor and a wooden sword and try out some LARP.  Even if you don't know anyone else that does it.  I'm certain it will change your current perspective on mmorpg gaming. 

Note: Best to avoid getting arrested.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Eve or UNcharted waters spring to mind(maybe planeshift if your into rp).  But I'm guessing you've already tried at least one of those.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    I think mmos are just like what beat'em all used to be.
    We all loved playing them back in the day but with time we realise it's always the repetition of the same mechanics and once the magic wears off it's pretty much impossible to enjoy them anymore.
    Also in the case of mmos the public has changed so you'll never get the same social interactions than in the beginning of the genre.

The good news is, nowadays 40 is still a young age.
    Be crazy, OP, go buy a guitar and start a rock band, or become a body painter. Anything, really, the world is yours!

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    i tryed playing WOT but i signed up as free player and got 1 shot everytime and i think i went 3-16 after more than a few games never got over 5 kills lmao..i assumed it was a p2win and moved on
  • danxdanx Member UncommonPosts: 15
    For me it's not about finding other things to do besides gaming, I have kids and a life outside of mmo's.  And I did try taking a break for a year, but now I'm back and trying everything.  I've tried the old games I used to enjoy, they have changed too much or I've played them too much in the past.  I've played the emu's.  I've done the survival games like Ark and 7dtd.  I've even changed up my normal PVE only to playing planetside 2 which is only pvp.  And of course tried the single player rpg's like Skyrim and Witcher 3. 

I am looking forward to Camelot Unchained and EQ next, maybe one of them will be the one to stop me from jumping game to game.
  • oxydeoxyde Member UncommonPosts: 35

I feel the same way.   I started playing Daoc back in summer 2005.  I played that for quite a while until WoW was released.  From there I have tried every big MMO title.  I have lost the zest for leveling and questing,  even pvp , which I truly enjoy.  

So I got back into TSW and I play some occasional Elite Dangerous.  I recommend both . 

• EliminatREliminatR Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Im 27 and Im in the same situation. I been playing games since i was 8 and started playing mmo's when i was 18. Now I cant even stay playing with a game and find myself just quitting and then playing music or just do things with my family I have now. My wife says she is going to get fallout 4 for me and Im afraid that i will play it for a day or 2 and just get bored of it and ignore the game like the rest of my games I have. It bugs the hell out of me that I cant just sit down relax and play a good game. One of my favorite things since i was 15 was to smoke weed and zone out on a game for HOURS. I dont smoke anymore but I tried it again at the beginning of the year and got high and still didnt care to play games. lol
  • Mr_PithMr_Pith Member UncommonPosts: 29
    We should start a guild on a forum and go from game to game. 

<The Restless Elders> guild anybody? Or perhaps <Vintage Vaudevillian Veterans>?
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Mr_Pith said:
    We should start a guild on a forum and go from game to game. 

<The Restless Elders> guild anybody? Or perhaps <Vintage Vaudevillian Veterans>?
    I like this idea... You hosting?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    You never outgrow games, sonny. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Um... you've been playing the same genre of games for two decades. Try taking a break. Maybe a long one. 
  • user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    A lot of so called games actually lack a critical element- fun.  It's more about best practices and copycatting what other games are doing.

It's not surprising that people who are looking for fun don't find any in the games from the last few years.  They are missing a lot of the crucial elements that draw you in and engage those human instincts for progression and immersion.  People like to feel their efforts are rewarded and they are getting ahead.  The current games make it their business to always make you feel like you are falling behind.  This is anti-fun.

Making game systems with the built in human reward-response mechanism in mind would be a good start.  The first MMO's got the rudimentary form correct, and it was lost in the later MMO's.  Developing a better theory of fun would go a long way towards moving the genre forward from it's doldrums.

Short version- it's not you, it's them.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    SomeHuman said:

I'm in a similar boat.  I'd recommend switching up the genre. 

I'd recommend trying other genres out aswell. Try some single player games out.

• frispfrisp Member UncommonPosts: 30
    48 yo. Lets see, started with neverwinter and Meridian 59, played almost everything else since. The best advice posted, take a break.
    Personally, back to Lotro, lifetime account holder. Back playing after almost a 2 year break of playing nothing.
    Found a beautiful lady, found life outside gaming. Now back playing casually and loving it.
    Give yourself time, try new things, but, take a break. 

regards

frisp

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686
    edited September 2015

I would recommend trying Project Gorgon. It has an old school feel to it. You don't level your character, rather you level in skills....and their are dozens of them.

It's bit sandboxy and a bit grindy, but it's a fun grind.

It's in alpha and free to play for now.

If you do try it, keep in mind that it's only in alpha so the armor and such looks goofy, occasional bug and such and the graphics aren't top notch. The game is very playable with hundreds of things to though.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    It seems like today's games don't let us build anything memorable.  I remember in UO I would sell arrows in Trinsic and players would come around on Saturdays in the morning because they knew I hunted feathers all week and would be there to sell arrows.  If I wasnt there people had to spend hours making their own arrows.  I was in SWG from launch and had a great supply of awesome minerals.  I made special versions of weapons that were more powerful than most other weaponsmiths.  People sought me out and heard about me via word of mouth.  I made some amazing friends.

It just seems like today I am the same as everyone else.  Heck in many games, the players of a class all look the same.  Eve is the only game in years that allows me to feel like I am different and I can be a benefit to those I play with.  Sadly I dont have the time to devote to a game like that and the huge time commitment needed to play it successfully. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• danxdanx Member UncommonPosts: 15
    People keep saying to switch genres or take a break.  I've played every genre out there from mmo, sp, fantasy, sci-fi, horror, etc.  And I have taken a break, I took a 3 year break, came back and tried everything new and am just coming back from another year off  gaming. 

I remember trying eve but don't remember enjoying it at all, maybe I'll try again.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    A break won't help.

The genre continually gets watered down with less content, more hand holding and more emphasis on quests and raids. The current trend seems to be taking out crafting, housing, community, etc in favor of shallow experiences and muted generality.

Like a said, a break isn't going to help you.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It's a shame, but if you've outgrown em, what are you gonna do.  GL finding that new hobby.

I self identify as a monkey.

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    edited September 2015
    If you are a gamer, play other stuff. I pretty much turned my back on MMO's for now and started playing other games.
    If something comes out worth playing I'd give it a go, but there is no need to stick to one genre.

So do whatever you enjoy, until an MMO comes out that grabs your attention again.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is a definite change in the direction of game design.
    99% of the games now are very low budget short development time games.

I guess it is like growing up listening to rock,Ted Nugent,Aerosmith,Sabbath,Deep Purple and have to go through a phase of Punk rock,Rap,New Wave and an absolute ridiculous phase of retarded music like Brotherman Bill and any other nonsense.

Just like fashion and hairdo's,trends tend to recycle back again.So after this phase we likely see a resurgence in old school games.

The problem is the quality games can get lost in the mosh pit,far too many freeware budgetware games flooding the market.It'll just be tougher to find that one game that holds your interest.

To be honest i had pretty much given up hope myself,but then a game like Elyria comes along to grab my interest,Pantheon might be ok,i am sure there will be more.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Danx if you try eve hit me up ill get ya rolling to really see the game

OP
     31 played games since I was 4(no I'm not joking started with wolf 3d dad was a nice guy lol)
    I feel the same way and to be honest I don't think our love for games or what each one can offer has changed. I still love the oldies for the same reasons and look for new games with the same things...
     The issue I have seen (and this is just me talking not some research of 10mil people or something... don't hang me)the gamer's that games are being made for are not the same as we were they want different things in games then we do/did...
     Game companies don't make games for the love of new tech and games anymore base lvl devs might, but the people pulling the strings want $$, it's not wrong to want to make money as a biz I understand that I run a small one myself....you don't make money you fold..
     Now I'm not saying all game ceo's act like this or that gaming is doomed they don't and its not. What I am saying is the demographic has changed so much in 10 years heck even 5, and a good portion of AAA company's saw the $$$$$ and made a break for it EA need I say more.

I don't understand the "take a break" comments, most of us who have played games online or otherwise for a long time almost always take break's...taking a break is not the issue

The games and the communities in them have really just gone down hill in almost every game I can think of that last's more then 2-5 years.
     "In my day"(yes I said it) if a game was crap we didn't play/buy it, now people get so hyped they throw money at almost anything.
     If you were a total D-bag in a mmo or even some MP games you got blackballed/blocked/ignored even banned in some cases. Now games and players not only promote that but reward it....its ok if its part of a mechanic of the game but personal attacks and just plan out being a viral player hurts the game/s.

Not saying I know all or this is the only few issue's but its a few very common ones.