Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best music to play MMOs to?

FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
Ok this is a bit of fun, until Axehilt gets involved... joke before I get banned. 

For me atm, it is a mixture, but there is a lot of Led Zeppelin thrown in there. 

Please share your own... 

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Love some Zeppelin , also as my Avatar shows Deep Purple , and mix in some Black Sabbath .. my 3 favorite bands and goto for gaming
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    haha nice plug, will check it out, now. 

Requires passwords, if you gonna plug, make it good, or I will continue with Kate Bush. 

edited September 2015

Requires passwords, if you gonna plug, make it good, or I will continue with Kate Bush. 

My mistake, had to download, could not stream. Nice melencholy guitar. If I can, timing was slightly off and was a bit too 4/4, think you could mix it up a bit, particularly given no vocals. 

Edit: typo
  • RagiAlmightyRagiAlmighty Member, AMA Guest CommonPosts: 3
    Most of the modern heavy/power metal bands, especially Blind Guardian, Persuader, even Nightwish sometimes. The point is to get both climatic atmosphere and fast rhythm. :)
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Classic rock.  Any Classic rock.  Liberally infused with The Who, of course.  And weed.  Don't forget the weed.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Skooma2 said:
    Classic rock.  Any Classic rock.  Liberally infused with The Who, of course.  And weed.  Don't forget the weed.
    oh God, please leave the smoking hipster shit out of this.  
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    How can you play an MMO without having the feedback of combat, weapon sounds, etc.  I don't get it.  Your now just mashing buttons with no audio feedback while listening to something unrelated to the game.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    goboygo said:
    How can you play an MMO without having the feedback of combat, weapon sounds, etc.  I don't get it.  Your now just mashing buttons with no audio feedback while listening to something unrelated to the game.

I usually turn down the in game music but still listen to the combat/spell effect sounds.

nofx.

end thread.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    muffins89 said:
    goboygo said:

I usually turn down the in game music but still listen to the combat/spell effect sounds.

nofx.

end thread.

Its never over Johnny!!! 

That might work, but then there is constant music, which for me would throw off the ambiance of the game world.  I need complete silence in game where appropriate, epic music where appropriate, or no music at all. I would literally have to have a DJ sitting next to me getting the timing right to have it work.  But I've also never listened to music while doing anything else, and I love music.  To me that's like going on a date and text messaging the whole time your supposed to be "dating".

Music in my world is about listening to every instrument analyzing each riff and rhythm,  thinking about when it was written and recorded, where by who, and when.  What do the lyrics mean, on and on.  Its more like a dissection and reassembly.  I have to give it my full attention, music is not background noise to me its all consuming, but that's obviously my obsession and doesn't represent the norm.

Ill just go away now   -> exits thread.........

Angie, Angie when will those clouds all disappear. Angie, Angie when will it lead us from here. With no loving in our souls, and no money in our clothes, you can't say we are satisfied.  

That is all. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Angie, Angie when will those clouds all disappear. Angie, Angie when will it lead us from here. With no loving in our souls, and no money in our clothes, you can't say we are satisfied.  

That is all. 
    Well I have to give you credit for Led Zepelin and Stones' lyrics - you must be an old fart like me - but I rather play with the music that comes with it.

Although, I have to admit, sometimes when I'm on TS with friends for several hours PVP'ing, we do turn on the music addon and just take requests... gotta be in the mood though.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    i dont usually play to music.  I feel like i've heard all my music 1000 times while at work etc.  I'd rather just enjoy the game's ambience & its music.  but to each his own! 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Depends on the mood... When I feel like adventuring, I go with some rock/metal inspired jazz fusion (Whatever pops on the internet radio). But when it comes time to kill people and take their stuff it must be brutal, usually pop in some death metal.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Crosses provides a decent offering, albeit one you're better off giving your full attention to in my opinion.  It's neat to hear Chino Moreno singing in such a different style, although he can't help but briefly demolish his voice on at least one of the tracks: "Bitches Brew", which is itself a reference to Miles Davis, and shame on you for not getting this.  Some songs have hooks which stay in my head for days, and overall I was both pleasantly surprised and found it to be very good; worth relistening to at least a couple times.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• GrayPhilosopherGrayPhilosopher Member UncommonPosts: 78
    If I'm playing for story or just idling around to relax, I'll usually just have the games own ambience running.

For some intense PvP sessions or the rare occasional grinding spree I'll put on something energetic and paced. It's hard to name a genre really, as I'll listen to just about anything from heavy metal to swing. Whatever the mood dictates.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Depends on the game I'm playing.

If I'm playing a single player game or if I'm soloing without being on vent, I generally put the TV on and stream a netflix series. I get bored of ingame music very quickly and a lot of games I don't need to combat feedback. Some games I do enjoy the music so will keep ingame sounds on, for example I'm playing through FFIX atm and loving the nostalgic sounds. 

When playing MMOs, I'm generally on vent with the guild so I have to turn down in game sounds anyway to hear vent properly, I usually mute the music completely and have ambient sounds and fx at like 10%. Again, the music and combat sounds in MMOs don't really provide much benefit other than ambience, so never felt like I was missing out. 

The last MMO I played for any length of time was SW:TOR. Given the lack of content, my guild would clear all raids in a night, maybe 2, so most evenings all we did was pvp in 4man premades. We set up vent ghost users so we could broadcast music over vent so we used to experiment a lot. I'd usually try to stream nu metal but didn't really go down too well, so we'd end up listening to hard house, psytrance etc. Would get us in the mood, make the pvp feel more intense etc. Plus, in my usual premade we were lucky enough to have a guy who used to DJ in the Manchester rave scene when it was first taking off in the early 90s so he had some great music to stream. He even started composing new mixes specially for our pvp nights!
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    The legendary Pink Dots!!!

They have a medieval feel to them..

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    ahh someone said NoFX, one of my alltime favorite bands allong with Zep,Sabbath, Iron Maiden, the original AC/DC, Metallica, Slayer, Hatebreed...mix in some Pennywise, Ramones, Guttermouth, gotta have Refused for heavy PvP, maybe some Social Distortion, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Hell lets even put some Steve Earle and Johnnny Cash for a little change up..

Godz of War I call Thee

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I used to listen to Enya while ganking people in FFA PVP themepark server. I had twinks in every tier in Vanguard and spent 2 years farming infamy on my toons until I had several thousand on each one...

This music is for crafting . .. and ganking LOL enya!!

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    not a loud music. i prefer slow music, medieval
  • DatGuyAshDatGuyAsh Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Deep house music. :)