Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic | Calculating the Jump to Hyperspace (and a New Expansion) For Non-Subsc

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars: The Old Republic | Calculating the Jump to Hyperspace (and a New Expansion) For Non-Subscribers | MMORPG

In approximately a month's time, subscribers to Star Wars: the Old Republic will be playing the new expansion and no doubt blazing a trail through the nine chapters of the new story that will be released at launch. Whether you prefer to gobble it up in one sitting or take your time and savor, there's plenty of new BioWare-flavored story to enjoy. However, let's take a look at what will happen if you're not a subscriber.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Let's face it, this game has the most begrudging ftp conversion out of all the original sub only mmo's. At every turn they make you feel they have only very reluctantly let you in. It's no surprise at all to see them removing the ftp option from this expansion. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to a sub only model, still with a cash shop. To me, they still haven't got it. The more restrictions you put in = the more likely non-sub players will play something else. It's ok having what they regard as a new epic storyline. It can be all that and more, but if players simply don't like the monthly sub model, they'll never look at it. Have a sub model combined with a more open ftp model. I know it's star wars and there's a new movie on the horizon, but there are also other new games coming along as well. This just comes along as Star Wars: Revenge of the Sub
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    As sated hundreds of times, in many different threads.
    In SWTOR many unlocks can be purchased with in game money.
    Heck all you need to do is spend $5 in the Cartel market and you get a ton of unlocks, then become a premium member.
    At premium the F2P model is not bad, unless you insist on stuff for free.
    Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Its a weird pricing model since its not a complete expansion when it comes in bits and its missing/lacking other elements an expansion would offer with more end game, mini games, pvp etc I think swtor will pull it off if they offer more than a few hours of story, and end game content. Its what people expect, and its what they have to deliver. Also im still not sure why they do not put things like bounty hunting in open world pvp, pazaak, gambling, duel arenas, and more mini games such as swoop racing. Then they can incorporate some of those things into questing, and even 3d space combat can have a place in the story arc.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Honestly, if you can't afford to go to the movies, then you rent them from redbox. Video games shouldn't be any different. That said....I do not like what they are doing in this new expansion. You should simply have to purchase it.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited September 2015
    Questions of the article... "What's your take on putting the new SWTOR story behind a monthly subscription?  How will it affect your gameplay if at all?"

I applaud EA / Bioware bringing back the subscription model for new content. I see no fault in that. As a customer I can say this part pleases me.

My biggest objection to this new expansion is the Story Itself. My objection is how this changes the SWTOR "universe" and how it completely trash cans the two main factions. Some People will see this as brilliant storytelling, I see it as taking the MMO in a direction it should not go for a Star Wars MMO. In my opinion Star Wars just got a kick in the neither regions with this new expac and I for one am not a happy customer about it.

My other objections are some of the Companion changes and the hinted at changes to Crafting. Not a fan of those either.

So I do see the requirement of a subscription as a good thing... but I won't pay it because EA took the Star Wars Old Republic experience off the main road and onto a detour as far as I'm concerned. maybe one day they'll find the main road again.

This whole thing to me is ironic... EA / Bioware goes back to requiring a Sub for new content, a policy I will always support, but the new content I think is ... you get the idea.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Still not worse than the shaft they gave the CE owners back in the days of the F2P conversion =P I really see no problem with it. the game is pretty much unplayable as a F2P player anyway. So why not just be done with it and sub when you want to play and skip the months when you just like to faff about. It is EA... Expect nothing.

This have been a good conversation

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    I actually subscribe to this more often than I play it non-sub'd, but since the news of the new Expac I let my Sub expire.

I am playing SWTOR as a preferred right now. Crafting is a pain due to not being able to que up crafting orders, and mailing stuff is a hassle, but other than that anything I really need I got unlocked years ago. Playing SWTOR as Preferred with Unlocks is completely do-able and I still, for now, have fun with it.

I will not subscribe when I feel the Writers at EA need a swift kick the trousers. Enough said.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited September 2015

They're basically saying that both major factions got their asses kicked in five years by a third faction which came right the hell out of nowhere. Truly there has not been such a monumental ass-pull since the Catalyst Fiasco of Mass Effect 3.

You can't just throw everyone in carbonite for a few years and say, "While you were sleeping, ALL THIS HAPPENED!" There's no lead-up to it, nothing in the storyline hinting at the existence of the 'Eternal Empire' (nice name, not cliched at all, right?), nothing explaining how it is they have access to the equivalent of Jedi / Sith. NOTHING.

It's piss poor and lazy writing. For Christ's sake, it makes Blizzard's writing for WoW look like Charles Dickens. Somebody needs to shove a boot up the asses of Bioware's writers. At the very least, they should scrap the whole thing and have the competent writing team they're bringing in rewrite it.

Terrible. Just terrible.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    One of the bigger problems is the lack of people to do content with. Set aside the fact that leveling content is poorly designed. The multiple barriers to entry create a smaller pool for the sub crowd to do content with. The game crashes more often than flashpoints and warzones appear in the group finder.
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263

They're basically saying that both major factions got their asses kicked in five years by a third faction which came right the hell out of nowhere. Truly there has not been such a monumental ass-pull since the Catalyst Fiasco of Mass Effect 3.

You can't just throw everyone in carbonite for a few years and say, "While you were sleeping, ALL THIS HAPPENED!" There's no lead-up to it, nothing in the storyline hinting at the existence of the 'Eternal Empire' (nice name, not cliched at all, right?), nothing explaining how it is they have access to the equivalent of Jedi / Sith. NOTHING.

It's piss poor and lazy writing. For Christ's sake, it makes Blizzard's writing for WoW look like Charles Dickens. Somebody needs to shove a boot up the asses of Bioware's writers. At the very least, they should scrap the whole thing and have the competent writing team they're bringing in rewrite it.

Terrible. Just terrible.
    You do realize that Disney made The Old Republic no longer cannon, and gave EA/Bioware a free pass to keep the game running at all due to it being profitable? They could very well have forced them to shut it down after the buy-out from Lucasarts. As part of their agreement to allow them to continue, but with keeping it as non-cannon. Bioware was forced to create an entirely new story, away from the expanded universe and other previously cannon lore. With the need to re-invent itself with the new story, they've finally gotten around to finishing the damn graphics engine (something they've started patching this week). You can't really make the content progressive and make sense when implementing a lot of engine upgrades, and new planets/stories, while keeping old content as-is. They need a clean start where the expansion starts. Otherwise, they would need to go through and re-do most or all of the previous worlds to tell the unfolding story. That's financially and developmentally not feasible.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I think this is kind of a relief. before this change, anyone who were sub but did not buy appropriate dlc would be locked out of content. Now we just sub and get everything, no need to buy hutt or revan dlc, we get all as soon as we sub. And i think it is also the time to revert to subscriber only model or at least buy2play with optional subscription.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited September 2015
    The game is 4 years old, and anyone that has wanted to try it out already has done so, and Bioware is deluding themselves if they think they can get new players into the game at this point. The servers are pretty much dead with only a handful of hardcore loyalists. If they weren't so restrictive on their F2P model, including expansions, more people would've stuck around. F2P players already moved on to less restrictive MMOs.
    observer said:
    The game is 4 years old, and anyone that has wanted to try it out already has done so, and Bioware is deluding themselves if they think they can get new players into the game at this point. The servers are pretty much dead with only a handful of hardcore loyalists. If they weren't so restrictive on their F2P model, including expansions, more people would've stuck around. F2P players already moved on to less restrictive MMOs.
    Bioware Devs were very clear in the forums. The game is not truly meant to be played as entirely f2p. You can play the original and first expansion story, without paying money to get the KoToR'ish experience. But, if you truly wish to play it as an mmo (Flash points, Ops, PvP, etc) then you needed to sub. Not necessarily 100% of the time. A common practice is to sub for 2-3 months, gear up a character and bank your credits. Then buy unlocks with credits and cartel coins. And play for a month or two un-subbed. Rinse and repeat as new content is released. But after Disney bought out LucasArts and decided to give EA/Bioware permission to continue the game if they steered away from the now non-cannon Old Republic lore. They needed a new direction to take the game, and the clear path was for a more story-centric experience. They can't release that in steady amounts without a reliable flow of cash coming in. Thus, the sub only option. Subs provide a more consistent cash flow, but are less apt to return high profits like a sudden cash shop item would. The reason the game is somewhat dead right now, is the same reason all games get sparse just before an expansion..... There's been no new content for awhile due to the imminent expansion. So, people are waiting for it to hit. Like WoW before WoD expansion. They were down by over three million subscribers. That number was not only accounted for after the expansion launched, but also expanded upon. And now, with content having largely been completed, their subs are back down. So, judging the game for it's currently low pop, a month before an awaited expansion. Is very narrow-minded and short sighted. Also, ESO's b2p model and recent DLC. Along with GW2's partial f2p model going live. Have also diminished the pool of active players looking for the free ride (aka f2p). That, and there's been some excellent single player games and DLC's released this summer. It's only natural that a lot of MMO titles are lacking in population. Between that and people not being home or indoors to play said games as much.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Keldor837 said:

Terrible. Just terrible.
    You do realize that Disney made The Old Republic no longer cannon, and gave EA/Bioware a free pass to keep the game running at all due to it being profitable? They could very well have forced them to shut it down after the buy-out from Lucasarts. As part of their agreement to allow them to continue, but with keeping it as non-cannon. Bioware was forced to create an entirely new story, away from the expanded universe and other previously cannon lore. With the need to re-invent itself with the new story, they've finally gotten around to finishing the damn graphics engine (something they've started patching this week). You can't really make the content progressive and make sense when implementing a lot of engine upgrades, and new planets/stories, while keeping old content as-is. They need a clean start where the expansion starts. Otherwise, they would need to go through and re-do most or all of the previous worlds to tell the unfolding story. That's financially and developmentally not feasible.
    That makes no sense. If the lore is non-canon, then who cares what direction it goes? Why would they have to steer away from anything? Your explanation just doesn't add up. Furthermore, I'm not entirely complaining about the story shift (though it does suck). My biggest problem is with the transition. Everything went to hell, and your character was conveniently left out of it for some bullshit reason. On top of that, this 'new enemy' wasn't foreshadowed in the slightest. Just pops in and takes control. Again, BAD WRITING. My six year old nephew could write better than that.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Keldor837 said:
    observer said:
    -snip-
    I don't think that was his point at all. I think what the person that you've quoted meant was people that tried it that has found it non-satisfactory has already had a bad taste in the mouth and moved on. Bad product reputation spreads and doesn't go away. There is very little hope of getting them back regardless of change of direction/expansions goodies. Many other mmos has also gone down the same path (such as AoC, for example).
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    JudgeUK said:
    At every turn they make you feel they have only very reluctantly let you in.
    Yes, they made the restrictions a little harsh and it turns away a lot of people, but they don't exactly gain much by allowing players to play for free.  They have a business to run, and they need to make money to keep it running.  If nobody has incentive to pay and can get everything in the game for free, nobody will pay.  

The alternative is the "cash cow" free-to-play model where they target the top 1%-10% spenders and milk those people to pay for the game.  It works, but the result usually turns out to be a pay-to-win model.  Would you rather have that?
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    syntax42 said:
    JudgeUK said:
    Yes, they made the restrictions a little harsh and it turns away a lot of people, but they don't exactly gain much by allowing players to play for free.  They have a business to run, and they need to make money to keep it running.  If nobody has incentive to pay and can get everything in the game for free, nobody will pay.  

The alternative is the "cash cow" free-to-play model where they target the top 1%-10% spenders and milk those people to pay for the game.  It works, but the result usually turns out to be a pay-to-win model.  Would you rather have that?
    But they are already doing that. Subs aren't keeping SWTOR afloat. It is the people that spend hundreds on CC each time they release a new pack. Honestly though if I had to choose between A) easier restrictions for my F2P players to keep the population at the very least looking healthy. or B) Heavy F2P restrictions that cause my servers to look empty 24/7, and assure that no new people will regularly come take a look at my game.  I think I'd go with option A. You can only squeeze the whales for so long. Hence why the population on all servers is a very telling story.

Side note: I agree with one of the earlier posters. The basis for the story strikes me as lazy at best. Taking on the Republic army, Jedi, Imperial army, Sith, and the Cartels, is just too much of a stretch. Plus as was also said they just popped up? Really? An army big enough to take on the all the super powers of the galaxy and no one knew about them?

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Roin said:
    syntax42 said:
    JudgeUK said:

But they are already doing that. Subs aren't keeping SWTOR afloat. It is the people that spend hundreds on CC each time they release a new pack. Honestly though if I had to choose between A) easier restrictions for my F2P players to keep the population at the very least looking healthy. or B) Heavy F2P restrictions that cause my servers to look empty 24/7, and assure that no new people will regularly come take a look at my game.  I think I'd go with option A. You can only squeeze the whales for so long. Hence why the population on all servers is a very telling story.

Side note: I agree with one of the earlier posters. The basis for the story strikes me as lazy at best. Taking on the Republic army, Jedi, Imperial army, Sith, and the Cartels, is just too much of a stretch. Plus as was also said they just popped up? Really? An army big enough to take on the all the super powers of the galaxy and no one knew about them?
    You make some good points. But maybe they found some ancient weapon that brought their enemies to their knees. We really don't know yet at this point. Think of dropping off a squadron of F-16s and A-10s in WW1 to the allies. Would of cleared that war out in a couple weeks. Personally, I have fun playing it from time to time. It's my go to mmo in between mmos. I always sub, so the f2p restrictions never affect me. I'm just happy to play some SW that the story doesn't have to be Oscar worthy. Then again, SW stories have always been pretty cliche.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I fully support decision. You like game? Pay. Simple as that. Do not like? Great, play something else. No company is kind of social service that exists only for pleasure of some cheap people that have no problem spending several times amount of money for cigarettes but have problem for sub. Main reason for ANY company is to make money. To get investment back, to pay programmers, ... If people does not get money, they can not buy anything to their children for school, can't buy gasoline, to wear, to eat, .... etc. Which part here is so hard to understand to some folk I really do not get it.
    Keldor837 said:

Terrible. Just terrible.
    That makes no sense. If the lore is non-canon, then who cares what direction it goes? Why would they have to steer away from anything? Your explanation just doesn't add up. Furthermore, I'm not entirely complaining about the story shift (though it does suck). My biggest problem is with the transition. Everything went to hell, and your character was conveniently left out of it for some bullshit reason. On top of that, this 'new enemy' wasn't foreshadowed in the slightest. Just pops in and takes control. Again, BAD WRITING. My six year old nephew could write better than that.
    You didn't read what I typed, you only inferred what you wished to support your own claim. I didn't state some opinion to respond to you, I typed out a fact. Disney wanted them to take the game away from the previously established cannon. As they don't want any new games or merchandise that supports all the materials which they no longer deem cannon. That's why Disney shut down Star Wars 1313. It was going to be a new game, perpetuating the non-cannon lore that Disney is replacing. That would cause confusion to the casual Star Wars fans, and possibly take away from the new cannon Disney was developing.

In keeping with Disney's wishes that in exchange for continued operation of SW:TOR, they take all future development in a different direction. They had to quickly (and within a budget) create the new scope we have coming. It doesn't need to make sense at this point, where we don't have all the information. The fact is, Disney said take it in another direction, or we shut you down. So, they took it in another direction. If you care enough to get angry at said new direction. Stop to think of how angry you may or may not be if they had abruptly shut the game down. As they had with Star Wars 1313 a few months before they finished development.

I'm happy that we still have the game. And I'm happy that Bioware, and the associated writers, now have free reign to take the story where they want. Maybe the transition could have been handled better, but as many have pointed out, the game (while profitable) hasn't been a huge money maker within the last year. The way in which they're transitioning the game is likely a combination of sacrificing for the budget they have. As well as creating an equal and blank slate to start over from. The alternative would have been to just revamp existing content. Something which would cost just as much, but with far less returns on investment (or interest by players).
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    let us forget about those who never paid a dime for the game, let's talk about me who paid nearly 2 years worth of sub(or is it more? i can't remember) along with base game price, hutt dlc price and revan dlc price. My sub is running out in 2 days and if i don't resub, i will be preferred, at that point they will eat my quick bars(quick bars..really!!), my mission rewards(again..really!!!), force me to show helmets, eat my fp loot, only 5 pvp match a week, eat the credits i make playing game, no operation and some other restrictions. I am being treated same way as the person who only spend 5$ in game despite spending over 250$, is it fair? Now let's say, this game were not Star Wars, it was named Star Travel, there were no jedi and sith, they would be called something like holy knight/dark warrior/holy mage/dark mage, there were no lightsaber or lightsaber would be called kinetic sword or something along the line and the game were published by aeria games or r2 games, everything in the game were same; story, voice acted interaction and so on. Would you come out here and defend this f2p model so passionately(or blindly)? I ask this of you, both swtor supporters here and mmorpg.com article writers, if this was not a game associated with Star Wars name and was not developed/published by bioware, how would you react to the game and it's payment model?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited September 2015
    I dont mind them asking money for new content, it sure beats asking money for recolored armors/speeders.

Now, with that off the way its completely another matter if what they deliver will be worth 15/month.

As you nicely pointed out in the article, you can just stop playing and in a years time sub and get it all. Then play throught it in whatever time you need to experience it in the ways you want and rince-repeat the process next year.

And as far as new players are concerned, SW hype with movie heavily influenced the "reset" they are doing, as you can get insta lvl 60 character and just play new stuff....if you sub. They do want to bank on that free hype, now it just remains to be seen how it will play out.

In all their wisdom they finally (correctly) concluded that worn out raid for gear endgame cant keep the game afloat. Because if anything is anti star-warsy, that is. And, unfortunately, they had to find out first hand that KOTOR fans dont really care for all MMO stuff that dilutes the game.
    Post edited by Malabooga on
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
     if this was not a game associated with Star Wars name and was not developed/published by bioware, how would you react to the game and it's payment model?
    I am a old gamer, I saw the original movies as they were at the time. I do not like KOTR, nor Episode 1-2-3.
    Star Wars for me (and I am a huge fan of 4-5-6) are about Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Storm Troopers, Death Stars, Mos Eisley, Jabba etc. (death to all ewoks btw)

Jar Jar, Kyle Katarns...nothing for me.
    Oh I must admit, I liked only 2 characters of ep. 1-2-3, and they died too early. Darth Maul and Dooku. (rip Christopher Lee)

About SWTOR, I liked the graphics, what I didn't like:
    -horrible coded game engine.
    -lag
    -very restricted worlds with invisible walls -although they looked very nice-
    -extremely railed themepark
    -no experience of visiting ' worlds'
    -- worst experience: it did not feel like STAR WARS to me. I did not have that feeling like that certain other Star Wars mmo that was mismanaged to the ground and below.

I was a pre-order customer, also played closed+open betas. Subbed for like 6 months after release. Lack of fixing groups made my guild die. A guild that was created with RL friends from EVE Online, so that was a killer for me too.

In the end it felt like WoW, 90% sitting on that Fleet Station waiting for a pop up to appear, doing nothing else.
    F2P made me come back 2-3 times for a week or so. Stories were GREAT.

In short: would I pay? NO.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Keldor837 said:
    You didn't read what I typed, you only inferred what you wished to support your own claim. I didn't state some opinion to respond to you, I typed out a fact...In keeping with Disney's wishes that in exchange for continued operation of SW:TOR, they take all future development in a different direction. They had to quickly (and within a budget) create the new scope we have coming. It doesn't need to make sense at this point, where we don't have all the information. The fact is, Disney said take it in another direction, or we shut you down...
    Talk about inferring what you wish to support your own claims. Old Republic was never cannon and there is no way in hell Disney was threatening to revoke license to force Bioware to move TOR's lore in a different direction. That would be absurdly bad business on Disney's part.

Or perhaps you can produce compelling evidence to substantiate your claim?
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    I fully support decision. You like game? Pay. Simple as that. Do not like? Great, play something else. No company is kind of social service that exists only for pleasure of some cheap people that have no problem spending several times amount of money for cigarettes but have problem for sub. Main reason for ANY company is to make money. To get investment back, to pay programmers, ... If people does not get money, they can not buy anything to their children for school, can't buy gasoline, to wear, to eat, .... etc. Which part here is so hard to understand to some folk I really do not get it.

Well looking back a bit, didn't they try that already?   And it didn't work.

Ftp doesn't have to be a whale cash shop game (there are enough of those already)
    Neither does it have to be so restrictive that players just give up with it after a short time.

There are good ftp models out there. Most players regard Rift as one of the best - but not the only one.

If you like the game pay, can also be looked at as:
    If you like playing and what the game has to offer, then maybe you'll like it even better with this great mount we have in the store, or this fantastic new costume for yourself / your companion.....or this weapon skin etc.

The point could be made that a good game with an equally good ftp model will keep non-sub players in the game, whilst attracting repeat spend in the store.

Conversely, a punitive ftp model could drive non-sub players away from the game, drowning out any attraction they may have for it.

If the ftp model is truly just there for players to try it before subbing then I'd suggest they are doing it wrong.
    When the garage gives you their demo car to test drive, it isn't one without wipers, 4 space saver wheels and only 1st gear.
    A true trial ftp model would be a nearly full game, level or time limited, FFXIV + WoW for example.

No, this restrictive ftp model seems to be the worst of both worlds. Repeated in your face notifications of penalties, and severe restrictions that do nothing except put people off continuing with the game.

You like the game? Pay .....didn't work before when the market was more open to sub models. We'll see how this second sub only attempt goes.