Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak says, "When we're ready, you'll know." | EverQuest Next | MMORPG.com

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Nanfoodle said:
    Given the recent split with Story Bricks, they have to design a new AI system from scratch. And then that spills over into a lot of the other features they intended to give us. Losing Story Bricks was a big mistake. That was the system that was going to drive all their Emergent AI, Rallying calls and all the other interesting PvE stuff.

They basically have to redesign the whole of the PvE content and how it works. The artwork and models etc will be in place but they need to get it to interact with players all over again, not a small task.

Problem now is it's gonna be just another MMO, all the interesting stuff is gone.
    They did not start from scratch. They retained all the work they did with SB and took the project in house to finish the project. SB got canned after the lead programmer at SB quit. The real brains behind what was going on at SB. I am sure this is why SB was let go, they had nothing to offer. The big question is can they finish it without SB lead programmer?
    I wasn't aware of that. After more investigation it appears that SoE was co-owner of the technology and Story Bricks the company has since folded. I had been worried about legal issues over using the story bricks technology but they appear to be unfounded.

Maybe we'll still get something resembling what we were promised after all. Thanks for pointing that out Nanfoodle, you've given me renewed hope in EQN.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    good. props to DB for not starting the hype train again. hype train is going to come but it shouldnt be during development. Devs need to go back to this style of developing games instead of this crowdfunding style where you show people everything you "might" want to do and over-promise on things causing a hype train equaling a sub-par game.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Given the recent split with Story Bricks, they have to design a new AI system from scratch. And then that spills over into a lot of the other features they intended to give us. Losing Story Bricks was a big mistake. That was the system that was going to drive all their Emergent AI, Rallying calls and all the other interesting PvE stuff.

They basically have to redesign the whole of the PvE content and how it works. The artwork and models etc will be in place but they need to get it to interact with players all over again, not a small task.

Problem now is it's gonna be just another MMO, all the interesting stuff is gone.
    The reason they dropped Story Bricks was that it was too hard to make it fit the game. AI is not something only Story Bricks can do, so I am pretty sure they can come up with an in-house replacement system for it. Still.. I also have my doubts they are going to fill many of the revolutionary next gen promises that was on the paper.. On the other hand, they must know they have to deliver some of it, or fail completely.

I would love to be surpriced, but I am not counting on anything but another story driven themepark build with bland voxel graphics.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    They changed the name to Minecraft 2.0 and probably wont see it till 2017.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    The quote came from the public relations department, as is often the case when they are not ready to let developers do the talking themselves. It's all we are going to get until they're ready.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I take this as a sign that the amount of interest in their game is satisfactory to them. There is no bad press and all of that. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think this is a good thing. It isn't what Smedley always did which was create false hype 24/7 about the game. They might actually care about the outcome of people trying it out unlike before which it was just generate as much hype before release as possible and who cares if it fails.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The quote came from the public relations department, as is often the case when they are not ready to let developers do the talking themselves. It's all we are going to get until they're ready.
    Okay.  What was the name of the person in the public relations department that gave you the quote?  Basic rule of journalism -- a quote is attributed to a person so the public understands that the reported just didn't make it up.

Oh, and the other important fact, when they said this, seems to be missing, too.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

This is a company that constantly flip flops on their commitments and has been reduced to releasing unfinished pre-alpha quality games.  Does it really matter what song and dance they offer anymore?

They have shown almost nothing for 2 years and now they are officially saying they are not showing anything.  Big surprise? 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    edited September 2015
    Daffid011 said:

This is a company that constantly flip flops on their commitments and has been reduced to releasing unfinished pre-alpha quality games.  Does it really matter what song and dance they offer anymore?

They have shown almost nothing for 2 years and now they are officially saying they are not showing anything.  Big surprise? 

Not a surprise but good of them to finally give a some what official comment on the situation.

Would still prefer they actually explained the change in direction to fans, but obviously that would require them communicating.

From the statement, seems clear that pretty much nothing game play wise is "ready." After two years that's pretty sad. Beyond a less than stellar voxel world with basic systems found in any game, seems they've struggled to get all that they hyped up and running.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I still cling to hope. I love the EQ brand. But this game has been in the works for a long time and seems not to have made much progress.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

I wasn't aware of that. After more investigation it appears that SoE was co-owner of the technology and Story Bricks the company has since folded. I had been worried about legal issues over using the story bricks technology but they appear to be unfounded.

Maybe we'll still get something resembling what we were promised after all. Thanks for pointing that out Nanfoodle, you've given me renewed hope in EQN.
    Own? No. They collaborated together and SoE will have got to keep what they paid for.

Think of it say in terms of an input-output diagram. They will have worked together to come up with what needed to go into a box called "StoryBricks". Stuff happened in the box to generate the outputs that SoE decided they wanted. 

They have the inputs and the outputs - key components - but they no longer have "the box". Subject to whatever legal agreements they made with SB they now have to build their own box. How hard will that be? Depends what the box did and what in-house capabilities DBG they have; what they now want.

As far as as EQN being ready when its ready hardly a surprise that it won't make 2015 (presumably) given that the end of the year draws near.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    ....Ya ya, who cares?  Unless they learn and take it back to what make EQ great with some modern twists EQN will be nothing more then the FOTM.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited September 2015
    The quote doesn't strike me as a "public relations" statement more a stock answer from a general administrator with a very wide ranging brief; the EQN team having decided (or had it decided for them) that they need to work on the game rather than "promoting" the game
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    filmoret said:
    They changed the name to Minecraft 2.0 and probably wont see it till 2017.
    @Nanfoodle would disagree heh heh :: On topic, most of us are forced to throw this into the vaporware bucket, not because we believe it's vaporware, but because we just don't have anything else to go on. "Ask us again next year" is now the general refrain I'm sensing from DBG. Obviously they have nothing to hype at this stage. All of the major drivers (Georgeson etc.) were KIA from this project and that, as they say, is that. So for now, I just say to EQN followers and fans, welcome to the jungle with us Chronicles of Spellborn fans. What is Spellborn? You've never heard of it? Exactly.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    the subtle sub text in this comment "until then keep wasting your money in our landmark!! we do love those big $$".

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Mendel said:
    Okay.  What was the name of the person in the public relations department that gave you the quote?  Basic rule of journalism -- a quote is attributed to a person so the public understands that the reported just didn't make it up.

Oh, and the other important fact, when they said this, seems to be missing, too.
    Are you kidding me? Who gives a shit about who said it. The point is "someone" at Daybreak Games said, "You'll know when we're ready." Is there really anything to complain about with this statement? Not really. It's just you bitching to bitch. If you want to know who they talked to you are more then welcome to call Daybreak and ask for yourself. Saying basic journalism on a mmo forum doesn't do shit for your cause. Seriously, stop being a dick.

Honestly, I'm just happy to hear something. At least we know they are working on it and will let us know when they have something tangible to show. I would rather have that then nothing or something that is rushed out the door.
  • Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    "When we're ready, you'll know." "Because we don't have a bastard clue."
    ^I don't think you realize how right that statement might be.

EQNext has been a very strange game to follow, especially from a large development house like SOE/Daybreak, and the longer this awkward silence continues the more I feel like Daybreak may be at a loss of what to do with it.

I hope for the best, and that they are able to release the game with all the features they promised, but I'm growing more skeptical by the day.
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    You know, maybe this is a good thing. I was not happy with the direction they were last headed especially with the payment model and overhyping, so maybe this will be good change.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited September 2015
    fodell54 said:
    Mendel said:

Are you kidding me? Who gives a shit about who said it. The point is "someone" at Daybreak Games said, "You'll know when we're ready." Is there really anything to complain about with this statement? Not really. It's just you bitching to bitch. If you want to know who they talked to you are more then welcome to call Daybreak and ask for yourself. Saying basic journalism on a mmo forum doesn't do shit for your cause. Seriously, stop being a dick.

Honestly, I'm just happy to hear something. At least we know they are working on it and will let us know when they have something tangible to show. I would rather have that then nothing or something that is rushed out the door.
    You heard something??/ Please share.

What Bill Murphy seems to have done is because we have heard nothing he went to a source within DBG and asked them for news and got told nothing, and further more he got told they would get back to him when they wanted to say something.

If this is not the classic position of a software house with a vaporware project in danger of sinking without trace I do not know what is.
  • CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    They made a huge mistake by separating landmark from EQN. They could have changed the genre and been Gods, but they chose to be generic. Nothing they have shown or talked about is impressive. Having a layered world the way they have shown it is going to get old after the first few times you go down.

Why do developers keep doing everything that the fans don't want them to do? I will never understand this shit.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    They pretty much have to finish EQN because they don't have alot to draw revenue from otherwise....EQ is 16 years old and EQ2 is 11....Both games are way past their prime.....They may very well start out with Minecraft meets Landmark and hope people think its a game.....
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    And people wonder why they're being quiet until they're sure they have something good to show...

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    ^ Because MMORPG fans are unforgiving and will call bullshit in a heartbeat and they don't want heat this early in development hurting sales (regardless of the quality of the release)?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    since the people who were driving EQN are long gone, and DB is now just a shell of what SOE was, my guess is that Columbus Nova will turn the EQ IP into a massive mobile cash grab.