Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online | Zenimax Listens to Its Community Once Again | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online | Zenimax Listens to Its Community Once Again | MMORPG

Once again Zenimax listens to the community. If you remember a couple weeks ago I wrote an article discussing some of my displeasures with Imperial City, mostly the fact that Imperial City is always open (unless your campaign is full) and all three factions would have access to it. Well as it turns out I wasn’t the only one who felt this way and Zenimax has heard our pleas and created a campaign with locked gates. However, is it too late for this to make a difference?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    edited September 2015
    So tired of idiots claiming that doing quests isn't earning your keep. You're still playing the content you're still doing the objectives, you're still performing the tasks so therefore you're still earning your keep. If PVPers hate PVE players so much they should look take their own advice and look to games that are all PVP all the time. Archeage comes to mind immediately. Oh and that's on top of being obscenely insulting enough to try to segregate the community by implying that only PVPers have any kind of skillset that matters which happened in a previous article on this website but is heavily implied in this one.
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    I don't play anymore and correct me if Im wrong but... Huge development time/cost to add this to the game and now they want to gate the ability to access it long after revealing how it would work to the larger portion of their player base? If what I just stated is correct, how could it possibly go wrong....
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited September 2015
    Was reading the ESO forums the other day. A lot of players didn't like the new area so much they said they cancelled their subs. Can't say how true this is or not.-------------------------- A large number of canceled subs would call for a fast response by the company.----------------------------------- There's always been a problem with doing PvE in PvP areas. The problem with ESO is that risk doesn't equal reward for a lot of players. This company is pretty good with the hard work part and the nerf part. Players complain then they buff and right after that nerf again.---------------------------- Take dungeons, first xp is good then it's bad, then it's good, then it's bad again. I hope they find their stride and work all of this out, until then the game is still to all-over-the-place for me. Waiting still for the dust to settle.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    DAOC did have darkness falls open 24/7 to all three realms it was called Mordred server and you see how well that went compared to the realm vs realm servers instead right? If you advertise it like darkness falls or land of the dead in warhammer online people expect it to have the same function where your realm earns its right to go into there not some new free for all pvpve zone thats already what Cyr is. Ill be interested to see in a few months how many play on that campaign vs the other ones. I quit months ago myself after the no content for a century crap they pulled and havent had a desire to go back with this first DLC because of new vet ranks and a free for all pvp zone was all the DLC was.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    It is smart for them to give higher drop rates to the ones who actually have to pvp in order to get in. This will help it shine a lot more.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    edited September 2015
    Was reading the ESO forums the other day. A lot of players didn't like the new area so much they said they cancelled their subs. Can't say how true this is or not.-------------------------- A large number of canceled subs would call for a fast response by the company.----------------------------------- There's always been a problem with doing PvE in PvP areas. The problem with ESO is that risk doesn't equal reward for a lot of players. This company is pretty good with the hard work part and the nerf part. Players complain then they buff and right after that nerf again.---------------------------- Take dungeons, first xp is good then it's bad, then it's good, then it's bad again. I hope they find their stride and work all of this out, until then the game is still to all-over-the-place for me. Waiting still for the dust to settle.
    Seriously? Where exactly did you see this supposed mass exodus? Please, I would love to see just 1 link that supports this troll bait, and not just of 1 person, but of the "large number of cancelled subs".

Imperial City has been hugely popular and lured many typically pve players into experiencing it. For the most part I keep to guilds which are largely tolerant and reserved but for the purposes of trading I happen to be in one that has no lack of vocal and immature personalities who are often quick to criticize Zeni, and even here almost nothing negative about IC.

Zenimax isn't updating the zone because of a drop in subs, they are doing so because they are a company that responds to their community, more proactively than I have personally experienced from any other game. For a more logical conclusion you can easily look back over the course of development and see for yourself how Zeni has improved nearly everything as a response to community feedback. Coming to any other conclusion ignores the facts and is simply an incredulous comment.

As for IC, I like any efforts to provide more options to experience this zone, especially those of us firmly in the carebear corner. My last real enjoyment of anything PVP was DAOC and before that UO. Since then I have honestly avoided all the zerg/ganck dynamics that seem to be a common theme in pvp-centric games/servers/zones. Just a few weeks ago I tried out pvp in ESO for the first time and I have to say it feels alot like my experience in DAOC. In fact I was able to find a small pickup group completing dailys that included scouting and securing resource areas. I even split away and completed some quests and instances on my own, all of which was a lot more fun than I would have thought. My twitchy skills and builds are sub par so for all intensive purposes I suck at PVP, but ESO provides a nice variety that even people like me can still enjoy the experience.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    edited September 2015
    So tired of idiots claiming that doing quests isn't earning your keep. You're still playing the content you're still doing the objectives, you're still performing the tasks so therefore you're still earning your keep. If PVPers hate PVE players so much they should look take their own advice and look to games that are all PVP all the time. Archeage comes to mind immediately. Oh and that's on top of being obscenely insulting enough to try to segregate the community by implying that only PVPers have any kind of skillset that matters which happened in a previous article on this website but is heavily implied in this one.

First I totally agree with you about the PvP hate on PvE. Its disgusting. I choose to play ESO because its not like Archeage. Also Im not sure I understand what gated means here regards IC if someone can explain?

However I have a suggestion what I see it can be like to keep everyone happy. I have an idea for the mechanics that will allow full PVP and PvE in the same zone but with different agendas mostly so that PvP and PvE would crossover very little. The outcome will be all PVP players involved in conquering an enemy IC or defending their own whilst PvE players can get on with PvE in their factions IC zone and even join some PvP now and again to defend their own city.

Why not allow every faction have control of their own IC ( as Im sure the imperials had more than one) but every so often allow enemy factions from Cyrodiil have access with limited raiding groups in which they possibly may even be able to conquer the enemy. I know this is King of the Castle type game play but here me out as it allows PvE players of the occupying faction to mostly be able to go about their own business doing quests while most PvP players will be more interested in taking over the opposing IC or defending their own.

Each area unprotected by occupying players which is conquered wont cause a flag to the occupying faction if its done by avoiding fighting enemy players. On top of this conquering an area will allow more raiders of the conquering factions into IC leaving it a very important factor for the current controlling faction to be aware of stealthing enemy agent raiders and keeping them under control. Most PvE players of the controlling faction can get on without much fear of ganking with PvP players on guard for raiders. Most PvP raiders would be trying to get access to control the fort as just playing to gank enemy PVE players would be an immediate flag bringing the wrath of massively outnumbering players down on them, putting the fort on high alert and probably stopping the incoming raiders.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited September 2015
    DelCabon said:
    Seriously? Where exactly did you see this supposed mass exodus? Please, I would love to see just 1 link that supports this troll bait, and not just of 1 person, but of the "large number of cancelled subs".

Imperial City has been hugely popular and lured many typically pve players into experiencing it. For the most part I keep to guilds which are largely tolerant and reserved but for the purposes of trading I happen to be in one that has no lack of vocal and immature personalities who are often quick to criticize Zeni, and even here almost nothing negative about IC.

Zenimax isn't updating the zone because of a drop in subs, they are doing so because they are a company that responds to their community, more proactively than I have personally experienced from any other game. For a more logical conclusion you can easily look back over the course of development and see for yourself how Zeni has improved nearly everything as a response to community feedback. Coming to any other conclusion ignores the facts and is simply an incredulous comment.

As for IC, I like any efforts to provide more options to experience this zone, especially those of us firmly in the carebear corner. My last real enjoyment of anything PVP was DAOC and before that UO. Since then I have honestly avoided all the zerg/ganck dynamics that seem to be a common theme in pvp-centric games/servers/zones. Just a few weeks ago I tried out pvp in ESO for the first time and I have to say it feels alot like my experience in DAOC. In fact I was able to find a small pickup group completing dailys that included scouting and securing resource areas. I even split away and completed some quests and instances on my own, all of which was a lot more fun than I would have thought. My twitchy skills and builds are sub par so for all intensive purposes I suck at PVP, but ESO provides a nice variety that even people like me can still enjoy the experience.
    The IC has brought down the hard lines between PvPr/PvEr.

PvPrs are pve'ing in dungeons and sewers. PvErs are pvp'ing. Not just a few. Everyone. That's the most impressive thing about the IC to me.

After 5 years of NO pve, sworn off. I'm now straight 50/50 maybe even a little more to the pve side atm. Idk what more I can say.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    So lame mixing PVE/PVP styles of game play. This is one reason why i know so many ex mmo players now. I have a lot of gamer friends and they all have quit mmo's Because dumb dev choices. Granted they are people in the 30 year old plus age range. They are tired of where the genre is going now and for who the target player base seems to be console kids.
  • ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    edited September 2015
    Just a note, IC was originally supposed to be gated. They decided not to when it launched so everyone could experience it.

For the person who asked, by gated, it means you have to control so many keeps in order to be able to enter the zone. If it's closed, once you're in there and you die (If it's like DF), you don't rez there, you're out and have to earn your way back in.

Also of note, people can now have it both ways. You can choose two campaigns, one gated, one not, if you want. I do agree they should have higher Tel Var stone drops in the gated, or some other way of incentivizing it.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Humans always look for someway to make themselves feel superior to others. It's rather childish. I'm a PVE player. I don't give a flip about what others do as long as it doesn't effect my gameplay. The problem I usually have is when PVP balance screws up something that was just fine in PVE. I would have NO problem at all playing an all PVE game personally. PVP players are, to me, a vocal minority. If they were a true majority then some of the PVP centric titles that have closed, would still be running. Call me a 'carebear' all you want. People who would say such have an opinion that doesn't matter to me. Not always, but more often than should be, I have found that PVP players that are over zealous tend to be bullies. If they just want to kill other players all the time perhaps they would be happier in something like a FPS death-match, a RTS, or even one of those sad little MOBA titles?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited September 2015
    Margrave said:
    Humans always look for someway to make themselves feel superior to others. It's rather childish. I'm a PVE player. I don't give a flip about what others do as long as it doesn't effect my gameplay. The problem I usually have is when PVP balance screws up something that was just fine in PVE. I would have NO problem at all playing an all PVE game personally. PVP players are, to me, a vocal minority. If they were a true majority then some of the PVP centric titles that have closed, would still be running. Call me a 'carebear' all you want. People who would say such have an opinion that doesn't matter to me. Not always, but more often than should be, I have found that PVP players that are over zealous tend to be bullies. If they just want to kill other players all the time perhaps they would be happier in something like a FPS death-match, a RTS, or even one of those sad little MOBA titles?
    You are a disappearing kind. The pure "I wont do X" pvp specifically player is vanishing. This has a lot to do with the upcoming gaming generation. They know no PvE only.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    edited September 2015
    If it becomes needed, I will just keep my money. If someone needs a company/game to force people to play with them, then that says a lot about them. And it's not good.

All I will do is point at all the shuttered pvp based titles. They're dead Jim. 
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited September 2015
    This was something that should of been in every campaign, maybe just one without it, right when IC launched. They had the system already created and in place just turned off, and even admitted they had plans to implement it at some time no matter how players reacted without it. Placing it in one campaign(as it is right now) does nothing. I wouldn't go anywhere near as far to saying ZOS listens to the community when it comes to Cyrodiil, as someone whose played in it for over 2 years (the first pvp beta event). I can tell you if anything, they've done very little and possibly even the opposite (the mass continuous departure of pvpers is all the evidence you need).
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Forced PvP guarantee's that I and many like me won't be back... Shame.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    DelCabon said:

I do believe there has been an exodus from the game and especially pvp. Recently most of the campaigns are low population on all factions, where as before many of them were full or locked. Imperial City has failed to impress many players (myself included). Many in my guild didn't even bother to buy the DLC.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited September 2015
    Still not interested in this, I play this game for the pve, not interested at all in the pvp, even though I do like to pvp in some games. Still not going to buy this and waiting for the next DLC like Orsinium etc

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    edited September 2015
    bcbully said:
    Margrave said:
    You are a disappearing kind. The pure "I wont do X" pvp specifically player is vanishing. This has a lot to do with the upcoming gaming generation. They know no PvE only.
    Naw not disappearing...just a bit more nuanced with age.  The majority of us are and always have been I will pvp on my terms or not at all. 

Force it on us and we will bail for the most part. Let us choose when and where and we are mostly happy.

Now that, i feel, is the "majority". You always have the fringes, of both types, the "never" pvp or "never" pve.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    DelCabon said:

As I said, "Can't say how true this is or not." So take it for what it's worth. As it's something I came across a few times while reading. I'm glad you found the game such a big success, enjoy.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    bcbully said:
    The responses in this thread, other threads, ESO message boards and message all across the internet prove otherwise.

Also, whats funny is that you call the pure PvE MMO player a "disappearing kind" when its the pure PvP MMO player thats an endangered species.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Ikeda said:
    I don't understand why people would leave due to an update that caters to another segment of players. Especially when those players are also a part of the core design that was there in the beginning. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Distopia said:
    Ikeda said:
    I don't understand why people would leave due to an update that caters to another segment of players. Especially when those players are also a part of the core design that was there in the beginning. 
    Because it's making the addition of relevant content take even longer.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited September 2015
    The decision to put PvP higher up in the design emphasis than PvE is a classic blunder. They see it as the only way to sustain players long term because the PvE material is one-off whereas PvP can be played repeatedly. A PvE experience that is dynamic and renewable would much better suit the game. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited September 2015
    It just boggles my mind how people continue to miss the point. A locked Imperial City where only one faction goes in at a time, guarantees that the mostly PVE members of that faction will have much less PVP to contend with once they're in the IC.

You go in, clear the remnants of the previous faction and then PVE in relative peace as opposed to going in and PVPing mixed with the PVE all of the time which is what happens when you have it wide open.

Do people even understand what the hell they're ranting about?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Bunnyking said:
    Distopia said:
    Ikeda said:
    Because it's making the addition of relevant content take even longer.
    That's an incredibly self-centered view, as "relevant content" is relative to what the player enjoys.

Iselin said:
    It just boggles my mind how people continue to miss the point. A locked Imperial City where only one faction goes in at a time, guarantees that the mostly PVE members of that faction will have much less PVP to contend with once they're in the IC.

You go in, clear the remnants of the previous faction and then PVE in relative peace as opposed to going in and PVPing mixed with the PVE all of the time which is what happens when you have it wide open.

Do people even understand what the hell they're ranting about?
    Once again, I have to agree with Iselin's logic.  Pure PvE players would benefit from a gated IC, especially in the multiple campaign system Zenimax has developed.  The chances of your faction not owning a single IC at all would be more unlikely than was a faction in DAoC never having access to DF.

If you're a pure PvE player, you should not fear a gated IC. You should support it, as overall PvP within the IC will go down with such a system, leaving you to PvE to your heart's content even more segregated from PvP than the current system.

However, I see a larger problem with the Imperial City and Zenimax's attitude towards cross-realm accounts.  Long-time players, if they've experienced multiple factions, will care very little to spend time gaining access to IC for a certain faction if they can just log onto a character from another faction and grind there.  Honestly, allowing cross-realm accounts does not jive at all with the overall game or atmosphere Zenimax has created within the world.