Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is it people cannot discuss games especially mmorpgs but can discuss politics.

Comments

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited September 2015
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    edited September 2015
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
    You made the thread, I just called it how I saw it. 
    Realizer said:
    I am pretty sure its in the rules to stay on topic, I made the forum for the topic to be discussed.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Apparently you and I don't live on the same planet... politics is about as touchy a subject as religion... both of which have repeatedly led to wars around the globe.  

And if you're looking for a debate, join the debate team at Harvard.  This place has zero to do with having a debate.
    Pepeq said:
    Apparently you and I don't live on the same planet... politics is about as touchy a subject as religion... both of which have repeatedly led to wars around the globe.  

And if you're looking for a debate, join the debate team at Harvard.  This place has zero to do with having a debate.
    Hmmm I think it depends on who your talking to about it with, maybe friends and family care more as they do want them to agree more then strangers, I am sure it can depend on the environment to. That is just my opinion maybe your right, just not in my experience when it comes online.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Same reason some folks think we have a muslium at 1600 Penn.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    edited September 2015
    moonbound said:
    Realizer said:
    I am pretty sure its in the rules to stay on topic, I made the forum for the topic to be discussed.
     Apparently I need to explain everything I say to you, it seems to go over your head, if you go back and read my original post it spells out the topic I've been on. Which is, you have a lot to learn about politics, if you think people actively discuss it more cordially than mmorpgs. Most like all your posts which have had to do with you coming to "conclusions" before being fully informed. It seems to be a recurring issue with you, which is why I said what I did.  I'll leave it at that.
    Post edited by Realizer on
    Realizer said:
    moonbound said:
    Realizer said:
     Apparently I need to explain everything I say to you, it seems to go over your head, if you go back and read my original post it spells out the topic I've been on. Which is, you have a lot to learn about politics, if you think people actively discuss it more cordially than mmorpgs. Most like all your posts which have had to do with you coming to "conclusions" before being fully informed. It seems to be a recurring issue you with, which is why I said what I did.  I'll leave it at that.
    Nope, you already brought up how my topics are some kind of bait and tried to hint it was about our past encounter that is very off topic, nice try though.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Elsabolts said:
    A natural history muslium or a science muslium?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Loktofeit said:
    Elsabolts said:
    A natural history muslium or a science muslium?

Ok I see your point and I will restate my point of thought, One who bows to Kings.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear. An entire thread complaining about someone being wrong on the internet. Due to the downvote system on reddit any posts that go against the status quo get downvoted by the majority into oblivion, leaving posters sitting in one giant echo chamber. If that's your idea of an ideal discussion then you might as well just go have a chat with a mirror.
    Lol I like this guy.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Using Reddit as the barometer of human opinion was your first problem.

Reddit is like any other forum, it becomes a self fulfilling argument for the most vocal view points, and any dissenting viewpoint gets buried.    It happens on almost every forum, especially these days where people cant be bothered to properly research their arguments and instead just stick their opinion over a vaguely topical stock photo.

As for people discussing politics, it depends where you come from, if you watch American or UK politics, it very much looks like a forum argument, people increasing the dramatics of a simple debating and rather than taking an informed viewpoint, simply taking the opposite view to the person or group they dislike, then pushing that view point to an extreme rather than considering the possibility they might be wrong.
    edited September 2015
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited September 2015
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Think the OP would do better sticking to reddit. Find a good forum where everyone agrees with you and you won't have to worry about hearing much dissent.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    The difference is that when people truly disagree about gaming, they act up on online forums. When they truly disagree about politics, they try to kill each other (and often millions of others) in real life.
    Dullahan said:
    Think the OP would do better sticking to reddit. Find a good forum where everyone agrees with you and you won't have to worry about hearing much dissent.
    Well this is not really about me but others who discuss it in general, and as far as my experiences go I hardly ever had that issue outside of game forums.
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Yeah OP this is not the place for such a pedantic topic. You know what you are doing, and so do we. Stop trolling and move on.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    It is because a lot of people take criticism of something they play/ watch/ believe as a personal sleight. Rather than value the improvements brought about by constructive criticism, they seek to censor it because it might call their opinions into question.

Kefo said:

eh depends on the game really. But regardless of that yes constructive or not most people do not like to hear anything negative about something they like even though it should have no bearing on the enjoyment they get from playing the game.
    It really works both ways, you're just as likely to get berated for posting a positive opinion on something.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    DMKano said:
    Elsabolts said:

You do realize that many muslims work full time for the government including the white house?

This idea of equating muslims with somethin bad cant go away soon enough.

Combining religion, government and discrimination in one post.....  +1

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited September 2015
    @OP... why can we discuss games but not politics?

I can't discuss politics. Too dangerous for me. Just like religion is a no-no. Could have my head unceremoniously removed from my shoulders if I start flapping my gums. Freedom of Speech is a delusion.

I can discuss games all day long.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Realizer said:
    moonbound said:
    Realizer said:
     See the difference is, here you are dealing with many adults, on reddit you're dealing with a bunch of kids, they don't know how to call you on your wayward ideologies. Again, the main argument of your first post is hypocritical at best, and irrelevant because it's false.

People discuss games all day, are you insinuating they can't? Or is it you who can't, due to the fact you take any dissenting points, and counter argument as personal attacks?  Also it's obvious that you expected negative feedback by use of your "/flameshield", that in itself is a bait, not counting the rest of it; which is nothing more than your opinion being used as fact. 
    Man your really reaching, you really are looking for that internet fight, whats wrong with you? Are you that emotionally unstable you have to fight with everyone?
    See that's your problem, you can't debate, all you can do is deflect. 
    What is there for him to debate here? You're baiting him into a continuation of his GW2 P2W comments, he wants no part of it, and you're claiming he's the one baiting, hilarious.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    moonbound said:
    Without over reacting, getting immature, defensive, insulting, and downright insane, for example I can go on reddit and discuss literally anything else and while some people do get rude and defensive its not half as bad as when you talk about mmorpgs or games, sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with the game mentality today, I use to be able to go on gamefaqs and discuss games with people until it turned into this.

It is like no one wants to allow you to have any form of opinion bad or good.

How many of you have experienced this? Especially in the last 5 years or so, you go on a website like this and say something good and you get 10 people right after saying something bad, then you say something else and get 10 more, then the same if you point out some obvious flaw. We should be able to have the freedom to express opinions like this without getting emotions involved. /flameshield!
    Because in most western countries, truth is seen as something that is subjective.
    Distopia said:
    Realizer said:
    moonbound said:
    Realizer said:
     See the difference is, here you are dealing with many adults, on reddit you're dealing with a bunch of kids, they don't know how to call you on your wayward ideologies. Again, the main argument of your first post is hypocritical at best, and irrelevant because it's false.

People discuss games all day, are you insinuating they can't? Or is it you who can't, due to the fact you take any dissenting points, and counter argument as personal attacks?  Also it's obvious that you expected negative feedback by use of your "/flameshield", that in itself is a bait, not counting the rest of it; which is nothing more than your opinion being used as fact. 
    Man your really reaching, you really are looking for that internet fight, whats wrong with you? Are you that emotionally unstable you have to fight with everyone?
    See that's your problem, you can't debate, all you can do is deflect. 
    What is there for him to debate here? You're baiting him into a continuation of his GW2 P2W comments, he wants no part of it, and you're claiming he's the one baiting, hilarious.
     Because it's the same situation here, he obviously doesn't know how politics are really handled, if he thinks politics work like reddit he's misinformed. Not much different from the last thread. Just pointing out an honest similarity in how he posts, with the topic at hand.  We saw his behavior in that thread, and by observation have a fair right to bring it into question with how he sees posts that contradict his views. Given that's what he asked about in his OP.  
This discussion has been closed.