Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is it people cannot discuss games especially mmorpgs but can discuss politics.

moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
Without over reacting, getting immature, defensive, insulting, and downright insane, for example I can go on reddit and discuss literally anything else and while some people do get rude and defensive its not half as bad as when you talk about mmorpgs or games, sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with the game mentality today, I use to be able to go on gamefaqs and discuss games with people until it turned into this.

It is like no one wants to allow you to have any form of opinion bad or good.

How many of you have experienced this? Especially in the last 5 years or so, you go on a website like this and say something good and you get 10 people right after saying something bad, then you say something else and get 10 more, then the same if you point out some obvious flaw. We should be able to have the freedom to express opinions like this without getting emotions involved. /flameshield!

Comments

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    It is because a lot of people take criticism of something they play/ watch/ believe as a personal sleight. Rather than value the improvements brought about by constructive criticism, they seek to censor it because it might call their opinions into question.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Also most of it isn't constructive criticism lol.
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Kefo said:
    Allot of it is actually.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    moonbound said:
    Kefo said:
    Allot of it is actually.

eh depends on the game really. But regardless of that yes constructive or not most people do not like to hear anything negative about something they like even though it should have no bearing on the enjoyment they get from playing the game.
    Kefo said:
    moonbound said:
    Kefo said:
    Allot of it is actually.

eh depends on the game really. But regardless of that yes constructive or not most people do not like to hear anything negative about something they like even though it should have no bearing on the enjoyment they get from playing the game.
    It just needs to stop, people should be attacked like this its crazy, people afraid to express an opinion about entertainment I do not even see the same stuff about shows or movies.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Moderation and community team have a lot to do with the level of civility in discussion in most online social channels. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Loktofeit said:
    Moderation and community team have a lot to do with the level of civility in discussion in most online social channels. 
    Yes that is another point, I do suspect there is moderation on certain websites of people who do not use it correctly or to defend certain companies and its just wrong, they truly do make it obvious these days.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     Are you talking about yourself in particular? I've noticed pretty much every thread you start, is some sort of bait thread.  Even so I'll give you a few etiquette pointers, research your facts before you present a point or an argument. If you are going to try and engage in intelligent debate, don't use fallacies, and it would also help to use proper grammar. If you want others to take your point seriously, take the time to make sure it makes sense. 

PS: Not sure if you've seen politics recently, but there's more verbal abuse in that line of work, than any other profession I'm aware of.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    OP, when you say "discuss" politics, does that include name calling and posturing?

Realizer said:
     Are you talking about yourself in particular? I've noticed pretty much every thread you start, is some sort of bait thread.  Even so I'll give you a few etiquette pointers, research your facts before you present a point or an argument. If you are going to try and engage in intelligent debate, don't use fallacies, and it would also help to use proper grammar. If you want others to take your point seriously, take the time to make sure it makes sense. 

PS: Not sure if you've seen politics recently, but there's more verbal abuse in that line of work, than any other profession I'm aware of.
    You and the next reply are the perfect example and your post is nothing but bait, and just because I made one topic you did not agree with does not make it bait.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Hmm. I'd say the "fanboy" element present in political discussions is at least as strong as their undercurrent in games discussions. And probably much crazier.

But those forums tend to be much, much better moderated.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    moonbound said:
     /flameshield!
    Reminds me of that one poster that used to end each post with  "flame on!" 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

edited September 2015
     You do know your post history can be viewed by anyone right? You do this in every thread, you make baseless claims, then when people show you facts, you flip out and say they're attacking you.  The fact you started this thread, doesn't surprise me at all.  It also doesn't surprise me, that you think you aren't baiting people with your shenanigans thread title. 

If you constantly assert your opinions as facts, you'll continue to get the type of responses you receive.  

Edit: The hypocrisy of you asking emotions be taken out of debate; whilst this thread being nothing but an emotionally based argument, about how you perceive other peoples comments. Seems a bit silly to me.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Your post history is an indictment. 

edited September 2015
    Realizer said:
     You do know your post history can be viewed by anyone right? You do this in every thread, you make baseless claims, then when people show you facts, you flip out and say they're attacking you.  The fact you started this thread, doesn't surprise me at all.  It also doesn't surprise me, that you think you aren't baiting people with your shenanigans thread title. 

If you constantly assert your opinions as facts, you'll continue to get the type of responses you receive.  

Edit: The hypocrisy of you asking emotions be taken out of debate; whilst this thread being nothing but an emotionally based argument, about how you perceive other peoples comments. Seems a bit silly to me.
    Yes I am aware and that was one thread and it was a question not a claim but many jumped the gun. And news flash I really do not care what you think of this thread, only what I know matters your more then welcome to not click what you think is bait:) In fact I encourage all to go through my very little post history and see the many supposed topics I created with a conspiracy of bait. Also if anyone takes a real look at yours, you clearly get into allot of fights everytime someone makes a topic you do not like, hmmm very interesting you seem to be doing this here as well.
    moonbound said:
    Realizer said:

Yes I am aware and that was one thread and it was a question not a claim but many jumped the gun. And news flash I really do not care what you think of this thread, only what I know matters your more then welcome to not click what yyou think is bait:) In fact I encourage all to go through my very little post history and see the many supposed topics I created with a conspiracy of bait. Also if anyone takes a real look at yours, you clearly get into allot of fights everytime someone makes a topic you do not like, hmmm very interesting you seem to be doing this here as well.
       I can't take you seriously I'm sorry, you willfully ignore common sense, try learning the difference between your, and you're, also it's a lot, allot means to give something to someone, as in "I'll allot you the time to consider your baiting title, while I go get a sandwich."  
    edited September 2015
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
  • ArcticLordenArcticLorden Member, AMA Guest CommonPosts: 7
    Discussing politics is easy. Either someone is happy with the things as they stand at the moment, or they're not; when the politicians happen to cut salaries by half, suddenly everyone becomes interested in politics. Is it black magic, I wonder. 

In the society where I live, if one happens to talk about games, he's immediately marked as a 'nerd'. Not to mention that while youngsters may talk about games, it's forbidden for adults. That would mean that the adult who talks about games is either a 'NEET' or can't balance his life. I guess the cultural and societal differences between different countries vary! :)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Forum PVP, a favorite of many, but not everyone enjoys it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

See the difference is, here you are dealing with many adults, on reddit you're dealing with a bunch of kids, they don't know how to call you on your wayward ideologies. Again, the main argument of your first post is hypocritical at best, and irrelevant because it's false.

People discuss games all day, are you insinuating they can't? Or is it you who can't, due to the fact you take any dissenting points, and counter argument as personal attacks?  Also it's obvious that you expected negative feedback by use of your "/flameshield", that in itself is a bait, not counting the rest of it; which is nothing more than your opinion being used as fact. 
    Discussing politics is easy. Either someone is happy with the things as they stand at the moment, or they're not; when the politicians happen to cut salaries by half, suddenly everyone becomes interested in politics. Is it black magic, I wonder. 

In the society where I live, if one happens to talk about games, he's immediately marked as a 'nerd'. Not to mention that while youngsters may talk about games, it's forbidden for adults. That would mean that the adult who talks about games is either a 'NEET' or can't balance his life. I guess the cultural and societal differences between different countries vary! :)
    This is a good point, but people tend to disagree more about politics and other subjects then games, I just see people handle it far more mature in those kinds of forums.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    DMKano said:
    Sports fan mentality. Look it up.

Some forum posters love to gang up on devs, and create us vs. them arguments, often painting a picture of innocent players and evil devs in the process.
    Of course "everyone" knows devs stay up late at night thinking of ways to spoil our fun.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited September 2015
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
    edited September 2015
    Realizer said:
    moonbound said:
    Realizer said:
     See the difference is, here you are dealing with many adults, on reddit you're dealing with a bunch of kids, they don't know how to call you on your wayward ideologies. Again, the main argument of your first post is hypocritical at best, and irrelevant because it's false.

People discuss games all day, are you insinuating they can't? Or is it you who can't, due to the fact you take any dissenting points, and counter argument as personal attacks?  Also it's obvious that you expected negative feedback by use of your "/flameshield", that in itself is a bait, not counting the rest of it; which is nothing more than your opinion being used as fact. 
    Man your really reaching, you really are looking for that internet fight, whats wrong with you? Are you that emotionally unstable you have to fight with everyone?
    See that's your problem, you can't debate, all you can do is deflect. 
    Why would I want to debate someone who is literally only out to follow me and trash talk me, you cannot debate, all you did was insult me and try to discredit me, you are not here to discuss the topic at all, your bringing up stuff about my post history and how I have this secret agenda of baiting people in your conspiracy based off one topic I made with no real facts on the claim, I only made this topic to discuss the subject with others, not internet fight with you because you have some personal problem with me.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    edited September 2015
    moonbound said:
    Without over reacting, getting immature, defensive, insulting, and downright insane, for example I can go on reddit and discuss literally anything else and while some people do get rude and defensive its not half as bad as when you talk about mmorpgs or games, sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with the game mentality today, I use to be able to go on gamefaqs and discuss games with people until it turned into this.

It is like no one wants to allow you to have any form of opinion bad or good.

How many of you have experienced this? Especially in the last 5 years or so, you go on a website like this and say something good and you get 10 people right after saying something bad, then you say something else and get 10 more, then the same if you point out some obvious flaw. We should be able to have the freedom to express opinions like this without getting emotions involved. /flameshield!
    [mod edit]

I would say though the answer to your quest is, politics for most people are not personal, MMOs are personal, real to them, and have meaning. Politics are just something in the background, most feel they have 0 control over. As i said though go to that site, and the people there take it very personal haha. 
    Post edited by Amana on
This discussion has been closed.