Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How well do you think it'll do once it's f2p?

JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
edited September 2015 in WildStar
Title.

I'm thinking of picking this up or just delving into another title;

GW2
Skyforge
ESO
WoW (recent expansion announcement has me intrigued)
Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    It's definitely a fun, and different, experience. If the art style doesn't bug you and you don't need a game to take itself too seriously, then it's a good time. I actually like the telegraph system. 

The humor is a bit over-the-top at times, but it's a fun experience. I'll probably play it more when it's free, so I can play with my kids. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    I think it will pick up. I'm playing it now after coming back off and on. Due to the classes I could never seem to get into the game. I leveled my Engineer to 16 then stopped for like 9months or so. I also leveled a spellslinger to level 23. However I have taken back up my Engineer and started leveling again and I am now 33 and I'm starting to look more robotic looking. Which is good if you have seen their end game gear sets. I look forward to collecting them. 

That being said I know there are a lot of different things coming out next week for the game so I am looking forward to it. I hope the cash shop sells different shells for my droids or at least add some more to the game for cosmetic flavor. I also have seen an uptick of players recently so I'm really hoping people give this another try. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    It would be on my Top 5 list of F2P games, so I would think it would be successful. I personally didn't mind the game, it just wasn't one that I spent enough time in to justify my paying for a sub. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    It'll be a great F2P title, the biggest problem of the game however is still the studio behind it.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I don't feel it will last. The problems that made the game unfun are still going to be present. F2P will mean that you'll have more people rotating through, but I'd be surprised if more than a handful actually kept with it. Wildstar is actually about the only game I've ever had regrets purchasing.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    edited September 2015
    It will initially pick up in number of players but if the game is still geared for a more hardcore style then the numbers will fall like before.
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Kaneth said:
    I don't feel it will last. The problems that made the game unfun are still going to be present. F2P will mean that you'll have more people rotating through, but I'd be surprised if more than a handful actually kept with it. Wildstar is actually about the only game I've ever had regrets purchasing.
    What were these problems exactly? I never saw too much of an issue with the game. Well, I can't judge too much. I only beta tested it for a short time.
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited September 2015
    It depends if the game has good retention rate and rewards.  I have a feeling most MMO vets won't like it too much since it's a typical themepark with the generic quest hubs.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    JakeSim said:
    Kaneth said:
    What were these problems exactly? I never saw too much of an issue with the game. Well, I can't judge too much. I only beta tested it for a short time.
    Last I read about it is that the game was catered to the hardcore crowd but when it released the hardcore crowd wasn't as big as they thought and they scared off most of the more casual players. Not sure if there have been any other issues pop up since I haven't really been following it but will give it a try once f2p hits
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Kefo said:
    JakeSim said:
    Kaneth said:
    Last I read about it is that the game was catered to the hardcore crowd but when it released the hardcore crowd wasn't as big as they thought and they scared off most of the more casual players. Not sure if there have been any other issues pop up since I haven't really been following it but will give it a try once f2p hits
    I believe that Carbine totally misread the gaming landscape while making this game.  They didn't understand that the people who loved the hardcore MMORPG's from the past like UO, EQ and even Vanilla WoW to some extent have all grown up, had kids, have jobs and don't really have time for 40 man raids and a long grindy "keying" process just to get in those raids.  

It's a completely different crop of kids these days.  They are saturated and inundated with hundreds more titles on the market.  Picking a game and sticking with it for a long time is "lame" and "boring".  Doubly so if the game has a long grind before the player can even get into the "end game".

I've heard they back-tracked on a lot of this stuff and have reduced the "keying" grind and even reduced the player size for raiding which should probably help.  I think it will survive for a while after going F2P, but I also think that the ship sailed for it becoming wildly popular.  Most kids will only give a game one shot and move on forever.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    It will do fine, simply because there is nothing better out there.

The F2P will draw people in. All of these people looking for a game, between games, or just playing every game they can will certainly give it a go. The suckers will spend money right away, because they equate immediate enjoyment of something new as a worthwhile investment. (these are the same people who get married after a month, the same people who think a song is good because they can dance to it. Mostly your average consumer)

Once the money has been spent, they will feel obligated to play it further. Even after that "new care smell" has gone away. The game, on paper, will seem like a success. Money will have been made, the community will be thriving (to a certain degree) and people will convince themselves that they are playing a good game because of these numbers. They will especially love throwing these numbers back in any doubters face, all the while claiming that Wildstar was a good game right from the get go.

In reality, all of these people will jump ship once something better comes a long. That shallow experience they believed to be genuine will fade as something with real substance is presented in front of them.

Luckily for Wildstar, there is nothing like that out there or on the horizon. So, like i said before, I think Wildstar going F2P should do fine.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Not sure is has some real funky combat, but maybe some people like it...

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    For a period after the F2P change it may look like a success, but soon many will leave again. Even if it is more casual friendly now, it will not be more fun generally.
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    The problem is going to be that no matter what, the new WoW expansion will pull away a lot of the Wildstar players. What Carbine needs to do is to pump out new content as fast as possible to negate any boredom in Wildstar and to have content that WoW players can come back to when they suck Legions content dry.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its definitely not for everyone, but I'm sure many will try it. The main thing is with this game, and many others as well, is the fact that it looks like wow at least (even though it doesn't play like it) so why pay for it when you can just play wow. Since it'll be f2p, there's no real harm in trying it.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The changes are not really big. If you didn't like it before why would you like it when its f2p. I tried the f2p beta and found the game and classes boring as heck. I couldn't get any class past level 12 before i quit them. It will be a good f2p game for some though. To me the most interesting class was the Esper.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'll give it a try but the combat didn't have a lot of synergy for me.  Felt slow. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'm not the kind of gamer that is swayed by a change in business model.  If I don't like a game, I don't like that game.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    JakeSim said:
    Title.

I'm thinking of picking this up or just delving into another title;

GW2
    Skyforge
    ESO
    WoW (recent expansion announcement has me intrigued)
    There games are all pretty different, except I would rather play WildStar than WoW if I were going to play that type of mmorpg.

I like WildStar quite a lot, except for the fact that there weren't enough people to play with. If there are others, it should be fun, especially if they stay away from an Allods type cash shop.

GW2, I think is a much different experience as far as endgame, gear leveling, pvp, and so on. It's just a different type of game.

• pandaclysmpandaclysm Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I'm done with this title. I played through early beta and I really liked the direction that it was taking as did other testers. I don't think the problem was the game design. I think what killed it was the amount of bugs and the fact that it didn't coddle people and didn't just give people rewards. With the F2P change the keyword is "accessibility". This game went from challenging and rewarding to whatever this steaming pile is that has been redesigned for the entitled MMO community.

Shame. It would have been an amazing title. I bet Wildstar turns into the TF2 of MMOs. Great if you enjoy that type of enviroment. I don't. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If people flock to this game just because of the cost,then it really says a lot about gamer's in general.

If the game is not good enough to play as a sub,it is not good enough under any circumstances.

It is like someone hands you a rotten apple,you take a bite and say yuck.Then buddy says oh but wait,you don't have to pay for it ,i'll give it to you for free,oh yeah now that rotten apple sure tastes good..../not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    The population dropped off so hard after the subscription release, that I can't see it being successful as F2P. 

IMO there are many fundamental issues with this game, unrelated to its monetisation, and also largely unrelated to the "hardcore label".

For a game that revolves largely around combat, the combat is horrible. It provides none of the stimulation, pace, responsiveness, or visceral fun of FPS/TPS or action combat (as seen in several other MMOs), but it still requires the same amount of attention. Tedious combat that requires a lot of attention is just exhausting.   

TBH, If I wanted to endlessly prance around different coloured shapes on the ground I'd buy Wii Dance Dance Revolution.  

And if I ever see one of those unsolicited Challenges throwing timers and irritating text all over my screen again, I might just throw my computer out the window.  

Quests are the laziest of lazy in terms of their design, quest pathing is poor, pvp is a flustercluck, the jump between eazimode open world content and unforgiving group content did not allow for any acclimatisation (this is not an issue with hardcore, it is an issue with badly designed hardcore), and that obnoxious text constantly appearing all over your screen is infuriating.  

On a positive, the gating before endgame content I believe has mercifully been removed, and the housing is quite nice.  
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    edited September 2015
    This is a tough one to predict and I think the only beneficial thing we can do is examine other titles that converted to a F2P model and get opinions from the players who stuck it out or returned to the game and have committed to playing for longer than a mere brief visit.  

There's Tera Online, Rift, Aion, LOTRO, DDO, and ESO just to name a few.  With the F2P model it is possible that a smaller core audience can successfully support a title.  

Ultimately we have to consider why players left in the first place.  I highly doubt it was because there were tons of rabid fans that simply considered $15/month to be too much.  Personally I quit because Wildstar turned out to be the next in a long line of WOW clones with traditional leveling, grind, and shit PvP.  A great deal of the community left in droves after there initial sub time expired and I see no reason why they would want to return.

In the mean time new competition is here or just around the corner.  Skyforge is quite fun right now, but we'll have to see how they handle future monetization with upcoming events.  Blade and Soul will grab some players' attention as will Black Desert and the new WOW expansion.  By the time late 2016 rolls around Kickstarter titles like Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, and Star Citizen will at least be in open beta.  

In the end I think some players will try the game again or give it a go for the first time.  I don't think players will be interested in making a long term commitment but Wildstar will somehow retain a small core audience for a while. Wildstar simply doesn't offer any unique gameplay or anything that isn't being done much, much better on other titles.  I don't think it will be enough to sustain the game for more than 12-18 months when we'll all be reading 'Wildstar - What Went Wrong?' mmorpg.com articles.  
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Wizardry said:
    If people flock to this game just because of the cost,then it really says a lot about gamer's in general.

If the game is not good enough to play as a sub,it is not good enough under any circumstances.

It is like someone hands you a rotten apple,you take a bite and say yuck.Then buddy says oh but wait,you don't have to pay for it ,i'll give it to you for free,oh yeah now that rotten apple sure tastes good..../not.
    I don't mean to offend, but I don't really think that your analogy is apt in this case.

The reason for that is WildStar has changed since launch. It has changed in significant ways. We will need to see whether many people find those changes to be better now with f2p or not.

However, your apple has not changed except for the fact that it would have gotten more rotten.

I think WS had a lot of good qualities and would have been funner if more people were playing. If more people play and stay, WS will be one of the best f2ps on the market. Depending on the CS, too, of course.

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I think it's hard to say. F2P will open doors for it sure...but I'm interested in the pvp and crafting overhauls.