Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : LockSixTime - Metal Gear Solid V Puts MMO Housing to Shame

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2015 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : LockSixTime - Metal Gear Solid V Puts MMO Housing to Shame

Free MMORPG List and MMO Games at MMORPG.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    looks more like a garrison to me than housing.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Thane said:
    looks more like a garrison to me than housing.
    I get a bit of that too, Thane. But I see Lock's point.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    edited September 2015
    He doesn't show or mention any specific thing why MSG V puts MMO housing to shame. The only specific thing he mentions is raiding other bases, which is something most people probably do not want in their MMO. He didn't show how other oil rigs look (color, layout, etc.), he didn't say how you get those soldiers, nor what they can do for you, there is apparently no single indoor area, the best he got is a five meter long hallway with both sides open, and so on. His monotonous way of talking certainly didn't help either. For me, he didn't even explain the garrision aspect - as i said above, no mention what those soldiers are good for.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2015
    This is just a training video that does everything i hate with any game. Linear paths with fake doors/hatches that don't work as doors.Hand holding to the point it even tells you what button to press and your distance marker as well../sigh.

A buddy of mine loves this series but i could never get into it because it always does the console type game design which i just mentioned i don't like.

So i checked out online for a video Well it seems that training base is your housing ,,lmao.I did not catch that drift from Lock's video. Instanced/solo making it meaningless.Then the statistical idea is really just the same as Eve online which i don't like at all.

The design imo is way off beat when you consider it is a military game where you would expect to do nothing but attack other players.Therefore making this base a solo instance makes no sense at all. Bottom line is it might be released on PC but looks through and through a console game and does nothing to make me want to brush the dust off my consoles.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628
    Yeah that style of "housing" is great. It works in a single player game. It's painfully obvious why this does not work in an mmorpg. I think it's just one of those things where we started calling everything an mmo then wonder why certain systems simply don't work in a traditional definition of the genre.
  • MystaMysta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    SWG housing puts MMO housing to shame..
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    I guess his point was "housing is cool coz it gives immersion" well.. Duh.. UO,SWG,AA,COX,CO,SotA to mention just a few whit housing .. Themepark games neglect these kind of things to often but its known that stuff like that does make players stick around longer. ps: Fallout 4 puts Metal Gear Sold V housing to shame
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Gave up my xbox and ps3 a long long time ago. Whenever I see these videos showing console controls, I wonder how the pc version play.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited September 2015

Talk about a monotone, sheesh. Practically fell asleep listening to him ramble on about nothing.

MGSV's base system is an interesting part of the game, but it's really not a housing system at all. It's much closer to WoW's garrisons, except much more useful and integral to the game itself and actually rewards you with items and options which will affect the way the rest of the game is played.

At least every player can enjoy garrisons though. Unlike FFXIV, where people are generally locked out of housing because they refuse to add more instances. Sorry, but running out of instanced housing is just piss poor game design, and has become a major sticking point with me about the game despite the fact I find the rest to be quite good. Especially since there are other activities you can't take part in unless you have a house, which is bullshit.

Anyway, MGSV's housing really can't be compared to that of most MMOs. They're two entirely different things for two entirely different genres of games.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited September 2015
    Watching them fumble the oppostunitits, am I right? ;) Btw. why is the base all pink? XD Cheers.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    edited September 2015
    Can we talk about how Mother Base is probably one of the most terribly designed places in gaming ever? Talk about a cluster fu*k. I got bored one day and walked around the entire base (I had all the upgrades, nukes, etc.) and... My god. It's confusing as all hell. It makes no sense whatsoever.
    I like to complain about games.