Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FTC's Investigation into Star Citizen

WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
Derek Smart is sure owning Chris Roberts and Star Citizen:

http://imgur.com/xAiNAar

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    DS is explaining at length through his usual channels why this is irrelevant and how this request was done incorrectly and therefore the (non-) results are also irrelevant.

Someone called his bluff and he is now in full damage control mode.

Have fun
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited September 2015
    It's in the Super Duper Secret file. The one that Derek's "buddy" in the FTC keeps locked up in his desk.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I'm glad Derek came back into the spotlight.  I sure missed his antics.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    well we look forward to him providing the case number once he figures out how to make a proper request. =) 

This have been a good conversation

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    The FTC has not opened a case, because there has been no justification to do so. To date there have not been any substantiated allegations of fraud, waste, abuse and/or misconduct.  Without either substantiated claims or a broad basis of unsubstantiated claims the FTC has no purview to begin an investigation (either informal or formal).
    BUT ... BUT .... DS says the FTC wont tell us about an ONGOING investigation endangered by a Freedom of Information Act request .... I am ABSOLUTELY SURE that this is the case here !!1!!1!

The Star Citizen investigation is so deep cover, right beside all the UFO coverups, MAJESTIC and the alien abductions  ..... they COULD tell us all about it, but then they have to shoot us.

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    You do realize that IF, and I emphasize the if, there is a investigation on going then the Request is exempt from any FOIA requests
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I"m still waiting to see the New York times piece he talked about.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Kefo said:
    You do realize that IF, and I emphasize the if, there is a investigation on going then the Request is exempt from any FOIA requests
    Actually, the details of any investigation are exempt, what is not exempt is the fact that they are doing an investigation.
    Kefo said:
    Actually, the details of any investigation are exempt, what is not exempt is the fact that they are doing an investigation.
    Wouldn't that still potentially interfere with any investigation then? 

Example is you are constantly stealing data online through a company you own and every couple days you put in a FOIA request about you or your company. The request comes back saying sorry there is a investigation ongoing so can't give you any details. I think at that point you would begin to wipe any and all evidence so that when the Feds show up at your door they are gonna be hard pressed to get something concrete on you.

same deal if you were an informant. Someone does a request on you and you get a response back saying sorry that's classified material, that would probably blow their cover since that should send alarms going off like crazy in your head about the new guy in your organization.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Kefo said:
    Kefo said:

Example is you are constantly stealing data online through a company you own and every couple days you put in a FOIA request about you or your company. The request comes back saying sorry there is a investigation ongoing so can't give you any details. I think at that point you would begin to wipe any and all evidence so that when the Feds show up at your door they are gonna be hard pressed to get something concrete on you.

same deal if you were an informant. Someone does a request on you and you get a response back saying sorry that's classified material, that would probably blow their cover since that should send alarms going off like crazy in your head about the new guy in your organization.

Highly doubt this investigation ranks up there with murders, government corruption, or bring down the mob.
    Hmm....

I did a little Private Eye investigating of my own.

It seems that at the BBB (Better Business Bureau)  they have received a total of 8 complaints regarding Roberts Space Industries and Cloud imperium games over the last 3 years.

http://www.bbb.org/losangelessiliconvalley/business-reviews/internet-gaming/cloud-imperium-games-in-santa-monica-ca-1016845

Meanwhile....  

Back in the Outhouse, things are piling up.

Horusra said:
    Kefo said:
    Kefo said:

Highly doubt this investigation ranks up there with murders, government corruption, or bring down the mob.

Doesn't matter since it says any ongoing investigation.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Sounds like a manbearpig to me !

laserit said:
    Hmm....

I did a little Private Eye investigating of my own.

It seems that at the BBB (Better Business Bureau)  they have received a total of 8 complaints regarding Roberts Space Industries and Cloud imperium games over the last 3 years.

http://www.bbb.org/losangelessiliconvalley/business-reviews/internet-gaming/cloud-imperium-games-in-santa-monica-ca-1016845

Meanwhile....  

Back in the Outhouse, things are piling up.

People still use the BBB? :surprised: 

all joking aside a whole 8 complaints lol what will Chris Roberts do?
    Hmm ... this is the first of these complaints:

http://www.bbb.org/losangelessiliconvalley/business-reviews/internet-gaming/cloud-imperium-games-in-santa-monica-ca-1016845/complaints

"Desired Settlement
    The resolution I am seeking is a full refund of my $930.

Business Response
    Dear Customer,
    We have worked together to resolve your complaint and from the customer service ticket it appears to be fully resolved and that you are satisfied. Please do not hesitate to contact our support desk further should you have any other queries. Unfortunately this BBB complaint crossed wires with your support ticket in terms of timing.

Consumer Response
    (The consumer indicated he/she ACCEPTED the response from the business.)
    Would like to say ***** ******** and ******* ****** at Cloud Imperium Games went above and beyond to issue this refund. Wonderful service and customer care. I wish them all the best on their future successes. :) "

Yes, I am sure the whole world has to hear about CIG's dastardly practices.

Have fun

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    edited September 2015
    I love the lack of evidence as evidence argument. What a load of crap. I cant stop laughing at these nut jobs.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2015
    All that letter tells me is what i would expect from any government office.That is unless you hire a lawyer and pay us big dollars we are not getting  out of our chair or putting our cup of coffee down for nobody.

Because your fee was less than $25 we cannot do anything but use that money to buy ourselves some more coffee and doughnuts.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Wizardry said:
    All that letter tells me is what i would expect from any government office.That is unless you hire a lawyer and pay us big dollars we are not getting  out of our chair or putting our cup of coffee down for nobody.

Because your fee was less than $25 we cannot do anything but use that money to buy ourselves some more coffee and doughnuts.
    Made me LOL because it's true.  Can't believe people are still talking about this crap.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    So, a little digging makes it appear that the initiator of the inquiry is more than $20K deep in to Star Citizen.  I'm not sure whether to make heads or tails of the letter; it's more a commentary on the lengths to which some fans will go.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Why isn't there an investigation into Derek Smart's activities?  Time for the FTC to get involved with Line O' Defense.
    user547 said:
    Why isn't there an investigation into Derek Smart's activities?  Time for the FTC to get involved with Line O' Defense.
    Again, this would be for the same reason. They do not have just cause to start an investigation.  To get the FTC to do something other than review your submission, you have to present them with something actionable. Simply stating (or ranting if you prefer) that a game is substandard, and not up to promised expectations is not enough to justify them starting an investigation. You have to present tangible evidence that inappropriate activities have occurred (either by number of complaints, or in the scope of information presented).
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Wulf Knight is the whale who invested $20k+ in SC. I remember seeing a video about him and his whopping investment in the game. I imagine DS' saber-rattling makes him a little nervous from time to time.
    Jaedor said:
    Wulf Knight is the whale who invested $20k+ in SC. I remember seeing a video about him and his whopping investment in the game. I imagine DS' saber-rattling makes him a little nervous from time to time.
    I would suggest that someone who would/could spend 20k on a video game, doesn't really give a crap about the 20k

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    This all still reminds me of a whole bunch on Icouldgivearat'sarse.

No matter how much chocolate sauce you put on a rat'sarse....I still couldn't care.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

This discussion has been closed.