Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In quest of finding my perfect game

VoidlingVoidling Member UncommonPosts: 5
Hello everyone!

After I stopt Starcraft I've been wandering from game to game not finding "The One".
So I thought that the community could help or give ideas in order to achieve this.
I would like an online multiplayer game so I put my coin on MMORPG.

Here is a list of mains characteristics I would like to find in this game:
  • Competitive PvP (and if possible an open world PvP option)
  • Game's mechanics that can make difference between players
  • Usefull craft which is not easy to level up
  • Not an easy chain of meaningless quests or dungeon teleport (I originaly come from Final Fantasy XI)
Those are the firsts which come from my brainstorming if you need anything more to propose a game feel free to ask.
I am open to any advice.

Regards,

Voidling

P.S.: Sorry for english errors, I am currently working a lot with Asia so I don't have much chance to practice it.

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    The problem is in the title.

Setup for failure.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• VoidlingVoidling Member UncommonPosts: 5
    You are probably right, there may not be a game that can suits all our wishes. :(

Maybe by continuing to try them all I will find one that I like!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    How about aiming for a game that is good enough?  It is unrealistic to expect one game to take the best parts of a large number of other games.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    From the sound of your requirements it seems a sandbox type game is what you are after.

The pickings are slim there, but it sounds like what you are after is something along the lines of Life is Feudal.  Unfortunately it is not a true MMO yet, but it is one you might want to keep an eye on.  If you are looking for something AAA quality with those elements you are likely going to be disappointed.   Someone said DFUW has a free trial now.  That might be worth a look if you haven't tried.

But yea I think it is good to try many types of games even if they don't meet all criteria.  If you follow your list too closely you end up just excluding many games that you might possibly like.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    There really aren't many titles right now that have compelling open world PvP.  You can give Archeage a go, bit it is absolutely a Pay to Win game.  XL games and Trion are horrid companies which is sad because the open world PvP in AA is actually quite decent.

Honestly I would hold off for a bit and wait for Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, and Star Citizen.  They are the next hope for open world PvP gaming.  Blade and Soul is supposed to have excellent PvP, but I'm not sure that the open world aspects of its PvP will be well done. Their arena PvP has been played competitively in Asian countries for some time now. 

In the mean time Skyforge is holding me over quite nicely.  The PvP is terrible for right now, but we're hoping Pantheon wars will at least be decent when that content is released. Also I've been enjoying Counter Strike GO lately.  There is a huge community for that title (as always) and the price is right.  
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    How do you mix open world PvPer, AND competitive PvPer.

One's about risk versus reward for the target.   For the  attacker it's about finding the perfect target, setting them up, then taking them out.

For competitive PvPer it's about both sides being on equal grounds so that their decisions, strategies, finesse, and intuition determine the winner.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• XantheAvalonXantheAvalon Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Have you considered a text based RPG? Avalon: The Legend Lives has the qualities you've mentioned above. The PvP is fast paced and more intricate than just "STAB TARGET". The characters write the history of the world as they go along with their actions. The farming and crafting abilities are a lot of fun. You have the opportunity to breed animals, raise them, butcher and tan hides. Plow and plant feels, harvest them and process the haul. Mine for ores, beekeeping and so much more. The commodities in the realm are player produced. This is just the tip of the iceberg but you can see more should you decide to give it a try.

(Kylan and Xanthe on Avalon, www.avalon-rpg.com, since 1996)

• rappelzninjarappelzninja Member, AMA Guest UncommonPosts: 6
    Go ahead and try rappelz. It has the greatest pet system of all games out there aswell. 
    Rappelz.my
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Voidling said:
    Hello everyone!

After I stopt Starcraft I've been wandering from game to game not finding "The One".
    So I thought that the community could help or give ideas in order to achieve this.
    I would like an online multiplayer game so I put my coin on MMORPG.

Here is a list of mains characteristics I would like to find in this game:
    • Competitive PvP (and if possible an open world PvP option)
    • Game's mechanics that can make difference between players
    • Usefull craft which is not easy to level up
    • Not an easy chain of meaningless quests or dungeon teleport (I originaly come from Final Fantasy XI)
    Those are the firsts which come from my brainstorming if you need anything more to propose a game feel free to ask.
    I am open to any advice.

Regards,

Voidling

P.S.: Sorry for english errors, I am currently working a lot with Asia so I don't have much chance to practice it.
    I recommend Ryzom, it has open world PVP, competitive pvp, considering every one makes a different character, because the abilities are personal, and different for every one. As before, the game mechanics 100 percent make every one different. You have to make your own abilities, from attacks, to spells. The crafting ties into it too, since everything you craft is going to be different from every one else, due to even the crafting abilities are personal, and different. Tied into that every resource is different, and you have to search and find the bests one for your items. Which the resources have stats, and you have to figure out what item you want to make.  With the fact that items decay, so you will lose your bad ass stuff if you aren't careful. You craft the best stuff in the game, so crafting is of utmost importance, and you can make a name and be different based on your crafting. PS you do not start this game, as a super human bad ass, with the destiny to rule everything, you start as a refugee, weak and worthless, among other weak and worthless refugees. 

There aren't really any quests, there are at the start, but that is just to let you figure out the game. Which mind you is seriously difficult to figure out. As for leveling, it will take you a long time, so you best be prepared=). 

Pvp is you can flag your self, or you can run into the various spots in the open world, where you get flagged if you stand in the area. 

I also want to say that the resources you gather, aren't just run around and see stuff on the ground, and click. There are abilities that you have to get, to find the right ones, which are hidden all around. Then you cant just click and go afk. You have to work the node, and make sure it doesn't explode on you, or get permanently destroyed. Yes you can get killed by the resource nodes. Not to mention, that the npc wild life is alive, and runs around. The predators follow herd of other animals, and if you get caught up in that, and you aren't prepared your gonna die. You get resources from animals too, if you don't want to mess with nodes, but the best crafting resources, are from super hard npcs, and super hard to find nodes. Which by the way only spawn, depending on the season, which yes there are 4 seasons, and the who map changes with them. 

There is a death penalty, which is pretty harsh. It isn't instant you start over, if you can't get rezed, you have to spawn far away from where you died, with a exp penalty. The game is hard, if you are use to wows, and new age hand holding, easy stuff, you will get frustrated with this game in about a hour and quit, but the more you play, the more you will like it. 

If you are a hateful, person who wants to just run around and try to gank people for no reason, other then to try and ruin their day, you wont find a place here either. You have to work together with other people, and if you piss them all off, well your just gonna get frustrated and leave. 

The graphics hold up well, if you can max them with aa. 
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    edited September 2015
    I don't think you'll find good PVP in any MMORPG. Good PVP to me is about skillful competition, and in MMORPGs if progression isn't ruining skillful competition ("I played longer so I win!") then usually population is ruining it ("I brought more friends so I win!")  For some players that type of casual PVP is all they really want, and that's fine.  But for most PVP-focused players, they end up finding better PVP in deeper, more skill-focused genres (RTS, FPS, Fighting, and MOBA being the most popular.)

Several MMORPGs do come close (GW2's instanced PVP comes to mind, and WOW's arena tournaments give everyone equal gear) but it just seems like the wrong genre to seek out PVP.

As for crafting, I've enjoyed ESO's systems and while it's not "hard" it's certainly time-consuming. Almost no crafting systems are really skill-intensive (which is how I define "hard") I guess maybe some of the more active crafting systems (EQ2, FFXIV, Vanguard) might get harder at the higher end but I never reached a point where skill felt significant.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    You missed the boat on the best pvp ever in UT99 as almost everything since is horrible pvp.I played Quake and unreal exclusively and intensely and was very good at it,so i am a pvp purest at heart.There is absolutely nothing in the modern era worth playing for it's pvp value.I seriously laugh at moba's and Counterstrike,horribe pvp value.One of the MAIN needs for pvp is a great map and rpg's will NEVER create maps designed around pvp.

The problem is that everything is about Esports and cash shops.People seem to be engulfed in rankings and will spend endless cash in their goal to be recognized.People never flocked to rpg's for better pvp it was because in mmorpg's there is a system to o/p your opponents,seems nobody wants to pvp on even terms.

My point is that,trust me,if there was something good pvp i would be playing it,my roots are in pvp.I even recently tried HOTS "big mistake" i don't know why i even bother to listen to any marketing making claims of "but our game ,does it better",game was crap and eventually locked up...delete.

The laughable is that what i have seen from chat is the majority think pvp is great as long as it has manual aiming and looting...lol yeah one dimensional thinking.Of course manual aim is great but that does not make great pvp and looting has NOTHING to do with great pvp.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited September 2015

@Axehilt, I get it you want 100% skill based PvP games with equal grounds and so did I when I was a child, which is why I spent enormous time playing RTS/FPS games. Then I grew up and realized there is far more to PvP than just "owning" and showing/proving to some kids you are better than them, especially to a champion who already knows he's been on the top from hundreds of thousands of competitors.

In MMORPG's you PvP for more than just bragging rights. You PvP for a purpose, a meaning, for a cause, which is missing in these games you describe "deep". When someone has to lose something, when someone has to risk something, when there is a REAL PRIZE to be won, then everything changes, which is why right now in the current state real life offers the best PvP experience.

Hopefully, this will change in 2016, otherwise don't be too surprised if eventually someone comes knocking down on your door, simply because you have some loot to drop. The issue with zerging you mention in MMORPG's is mainly from their flawed design. There is zerging IRL too, of course the bigger the zerg the more people they have to share their loot with. So, it's completely understandable if bunch of noobs feel safer to work in a pack.

When MMORPG's will allow players more freedom and options like back in the days of UO/SWG, then a single player can go against a squad and overcome the odds, just like it's possible IRL. It's also not always about being able to overcome but to kite, another issue that developers fail to recognize. If you encounter a zerg of like 20 people by yourself, at least you deserve a chance to escape when you are chased, regardless how small that chance might be, it's still some chance.

Examples: SWG, I was training my jedi on a deserted planet then I see a bunch of red dots (bounties with coverts) showing up on my radar all of a sudden. Luckily, I had a house placed close by so I managed to reach it before they got to me where I could feel safe until some of my few other elite friends came and we end up making a graveyard in front of my home. Ultima Online, same story...I see a bunch of gankers/murderers chasing me, I was fast enough to separate them with my mount, avoiding those trees, those houses and so forth. So, when it comes to zerging, again the issue only exist in BAD GAMES, which I obviouslly avoid playing.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Wait on Crowfall.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Kopogero said:

@Axehilt, I get it you want 100% skill based PvP games with equal grounds and so did I when I was a child, which is why I spent enormous time playing RTS/FPS games. Then I grew up and realized there is far more to PvP than just "owning" and showing/proving to some kids you are better than them, especially to a champion who already knows he's been on the top from hundreds of thousands of competitors.

In MMORPG's you PvP for more than just bragging rights. You PvP for a purpose, a meaning, for a cause, which is missing in these games you describe "deep". When someone has to lose something, when someone has to risk something, when there is a REAL PRIZE to be won, then everything changes, which is why right now in the current state real life offers the best PvP experience.

Hopefully, this will change in 2016, otherwise don't be too surprised if eventually someone comes knocking down on your door, simply because you have some loot to drop. The issue with zerging you mention in MMORPG's is mainly from their flawed design. There is zerging IRL too, of course the bigger the zerg the more people they have to share their loot with. So, it's completely understandable if bunch of noobs feel safer to work in a pack.

When MMORPG's will allow players more freedom and options like back in the days of UO/SWG, then a single player can go against a squad and overcome the odds, just like it's possible IRL. It's also not always about being able to overcome but to kite, another issue that developers fail to recognize. If you encounter a zerg of like 20 people by yourself, at least you deserve a chance to escape when you are chased, regardless how small that chance might be, it's still some chance.

Examples: SWG, I was training my jedi on a deserted planet then I see a bunch of red dots (bounties with coverts) showing up on my radar all of a sudden. Luckily, I had a house placed close by so I managed to reach it before they got to me where I could feel safe until some of my few other elite friends came and we end up making a graveyard in front of my home. Ultima Online, same story...I see a bunch of gankers/murderers chasing me, I was fast enough to separate them with my mount, avoiding those trees, those houses and so forth. So, when it comes to zerging, again the issue only exist in BAD GAMES, which I obviouslly avoid playing.

Skill-based PVP is not a maturity thing. Older gamers are more likely to recognize that "who played longer?" and "who brought more friends?" are some of the shallowest possible ways to decide the winner of a contest. Younger gamers are more likely to enjoy games decided more by time investment (which they have in abundance) than by skill (which they lack), though this extends to many types of casual players.

Skill-based PVP is about bragging rights for some players, but for most it's a matter of personal improvement.

"It exists in real life" doesn't mean something is a good game mechanic. Zerging being one textbook example (numbers do matter in real life, but they don't make for deep or compelling gameplay in games.)

The reason your one-off examples came to mind was because they were so different from the normal experience in those games (where the zerglings do win; consistently; because it's a huge advantage.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    You wont find the perfect game that involves PvP tbh, Wolves need the sheep to be in there but the sheep advoid the wolfs by not playing a PvP based game so you'll be hard pushed to find a good PvP game until the devs somehow find a good balance to appease both side of the player which is pretty much an almost impossible task.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Yeah, honestly its easier to find a game that has 2-3 of the things you want while learning to get adjusted to things you dont understand/like versus trying game after game after game that meets all the things you want. I think the main issue about game hoping is the fact that people's expectations tend to get higher or think back to games they used to play that had more of what they want. Times change, which isn't really much of an excuse for quality, but the term quality only fits the major of people that see it as such. What you or I deem as good might not be the same for the major of people that certain games work for. So toning down expectations a bit can make it easier to find a game you like.
  • WraithstarWraithstar Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Guild wars 2