Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 - worth to upgrade (yet)?

ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
I'm still running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I like it a lot. Of course, I have already downloaded the Windows 10 Pro x64 update disc, but I'm still not sure if I should upgrade my system or stick with Windows 7.

My two biggest concerns for upgrading are compatability with older games AND privacy. For the latter I can hammer a lot of (default) settings but it still will remain a concern, also for the future and what Mickey$oft might change to leech from my system. The first one is a bigger concern when playing games AND using all kind of tools I'm running on my system and with past experiences (Windows 8) and my son having used Windows 10 already at my in-laws (Minecraft is not compatible) it is something to take into account.

Any thoughts if it's 'wise' to upgrade to Windows 10 already?

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2015
    If you don't need for any specific feature or functionality of Win 10, then no.

Best to wait until the year of free upgrades is almost gone, and then upgrade. A lot less different driver and compatibility problems that way.
    Post edited by Vrika on

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    no, just spent last night and thurs night reinstalling windows 7. Lost a lot of pics and stuff I wanted. It just went KAPUT! also it screwed my internet/wifi around the house. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Deadlobster's message:
    - have a backup regardless;
    - you can go back.

All I can add is that there have been zero issues on several computers in my house. It had fixed a number of driver issues - seems to have been a big push by companies.

And in the future upgrades to Win7 will stop. So the alternative is, as Vrika suggests, wait some more and then upgrade.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Vrika said:
    I you don't need for any specific feature or functionality of Win 10, then no.

Best to wait until the year of free upgrades is almost gone, and then upgrade. A lot less different driver and compatibility problems that way.
    Yeah, I figured that close to 1 year down the road would be best. But as hobby programmer I do want to experiment with the DX12 that Windows 10 offers. Not to mention, being able to compile under Windows 10 I can also cater for the XBOX One...
    no, just spent last night and thurs night reinstalling windows 7. Lost a lot of pics and stuff I wanted. It just went KAPUT! also it screwed my internet/wifi around the house. 
    That's awful! :(

I have PMagic ready to make a full backup of my boot drive so I can restore if things REALLY turn out ugly. I'm also wondering if it's doable to upgrade to Windows 10 and then make a dualboot with the old Windows 7 install (is this even legal?).
    On the other hand if things are already doomed to fail like with you I think I'll just play it safe and stick with Windows 7 for a bit longer...
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Windows 10, is nothing new. As far as drivers go its the same as windows 8. The only difference between 10, is you can get windows for free atm, it works better with touch screens, its closer to windows 7 as far as the start menu, and you get direct x 12. As far as privacy, if you think windows cares about what your doing.............. All that stuff can be shut off anyways. There isn't much reason to stay on windows 7. I wouldn't concern your self with dual booting windows 7, and 10 legality. Windows isn't gonna hunt down one lonely user, who dual boots their operating system, with one cd key code. They gave windows 10 free, to every one, and that includes people with pirated copies of windows. 
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Probably not.

I've had 0 issues with windows 10, but theres no real benefits either, not until DX12 games start rolling out anyway.

I'd just stick to 7 as long as possible because there are a lot of people out there that do have tech issues with W10, so might as well wait until they're all patched out.
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    There is a learning curve, which is the biggest obstacle.  I cant imagine going back to windows 7/vista anymore.  You should get a small performance bump too.

no real reason to wait.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Btw, learn permissions if you are going windows 10. Everything works off them, so if you don't know how to set permissions on folders your gonna be very frustrated.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The problem that has been there through every phase is they use far too many system resources.
    There has NEVER been any benefit to any of these Windows upgrades aside from the early memory recognizing and 32>64>128 bit encryption which is there for businesses not gamer's.

I would be happy to still be on w95.

Also when comes to gaming and devs using the upgrades,we have seen VERY little of that.IMo 90% of the games could still be DX5/6 that is how low quality most games are.Every single Arpg could be DX5.

So what use have gamer's got from Windows products?Almost nothing  at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 432
    If you have win 7 pro or win 8 pro you will be "downgrading" as they do not give you anything other then base win10. It has had a number of security leaks and major back-end issues using system resources....My suggestion is do some reading on it and if you feel you really need it get it if not stay with what works.
     I did not upgrade as I use win7 pro and the features that I get with Pro vs home I use almost daily.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    I game exclusively on my machines at home, I've put windows 10 on them both. You're not really 'getting' much from updating, but at the same time I enjoy the convenience that some of the windows 10 features bring.

Definitely get it while it's free!
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    The one thing that keeps me from upgrading is the horrible font rendering. While you can change the system fonts to i.e. Tahoma with some tweaks in the registry, the general blurryness of the fonts in the menus remains and there seem to be no way to fix that.
    MS has left PC users with their monitors and rather caters to TV screens, beamers and mobile devices nowadays.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    I wonder if I can install the free Windows 10 upgrade into a new virtual machine? I run Windows 7, and Linux in a virtual machine. using Oracle VM. I wonder if I could create a new virtual machine and run W10 in that, while keeping W7 as the main OS?

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited October 2015
    olepi said:
    I wonder if I can install the free Windows 10 upgrade into a new virtual machine? I run Windows 7, and Linux in a virtual machine. using Oracle VM. I wonder if I could create a new virtual machine and run W10 in that, while keeping W7 as the main OS?
    That's what i did with some ISO found on the internet.
    I'm currently still fiddling around with W10 in VirtualBox before wiping my PC of my trusty old W7.

Mount the ISO to your dvddrive in your virtual machine settings and it should install right away.
    You PC/Bios supporting VT-X or AMD-V seems to be a requirement though, otherwise you will be getting a Vt-X error on the virtual machine's startup. Just adding that, because on a friend's pc every other OS worked without VT-X in VirtualBox, but not W10.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 432
    DMKano said:
    If you have win 7 pro or win 8 pro you will be "downgrading" as they do not give you anything other then base win10. It has had a number of security leaks and major back-end issues using system resources....My suggestion is do some reading on it and if you feel you really need it get it if not stay with what works.
     I did not upgrade as I use win7 pro and the features that I get with Pro vs home I use almost daily.
    you could always buy win10 pro
    yea no I just paid for win7home+pro upgrade even on the cheap side it was almost 400$ I plan to get a few more years out of that thanks though.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Volgore said:
    olepi said:
    That's what i did with some ISO found on the internet.
    I'm currently still fiddling around with W10 in VirtualBox before wiping my PC of my trusty old W7.

Mount the ISO to your dvddrive in your virtual machine settings and it should install right away.
    You PC/Bios supporting VT-X or AMD-V seems to be a requirement though, otherwise you will be getting a Vt-X error on the virtual machine's startup. Just adding that, because on a friend's pc every other OS worked without VT-X in VirtualBox, but not W10.
    Perhaps that's the way for me to go as well. I really am still n doubt if I should upgrade or not. But as vonryan123 said, having Pro it would be downgrading. I'm wondering if that also goes for Ultimate? Anyway, if I should use VM, I guess first I should upgrade my CPU. That Phanom is old and I tried VM before with it and it was extremely choppy...

On the other hand, I'll get the old PC from my father in-law 2 weeks from now. Perhaps I should give WinX a try on that one? And if it's REALLY not for me, wipe the whole thing and install Linux on it...
  • NirimetusNirimetus Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Reizla said:
    Vrika said:
    I you don't need for any specific feature or functionality of Win 10, then no.

Yeah, I figured that close to 1 year down the road would be best. But as hobby programmer I do want to experiment with the DX12 that Windows 10 offers. Not to mention, being able to compile under Windows 10 I can also cater for the XBOX One...
    That's awful! :(

I have PMagic ready to make a full backup of my boot drive so I can restore if things REALLY turn out ugly. I'm also wondering if it's doable to upgrade to Windows 10 and then make a dualboot with the old Windows 7 install (is this even legal?).
    On the other hand if things are already doomed to fail like with you I think I'll just play it safe and stick with Windows 7 for a bit longer...
    If you can make backup from the whole system drive then why not upgrade? I used since Insider Preview 10041 (i think it was that one) never had a problem with it, and my laptop is a cheap gaming one, only incompatibility i had was on KF2 but it was solved by running the game as Admin, im not sure about how it goes on programming since its not my area, but as far as i see not a single problem with drivers, programs or hardware incompatibility, i didnt lose anything either, and onedrive integration help wonders, all my pics, music and videos are synced on onedrive so if i lose something its not a problem.

So far, after the release it only get better, much better performance and memory management than previous versions.
  • AxildurAxildur Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Reizla said:
    I'm still running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I like it a lot. Of course, I have already downloaded the Windows 10 Pro x64 update disc, but I'm still not sure if I should upgrade my system or stick with Windows 7.

My two biggest concerns for upgrading are compatability with older games AND privacy. For the latter I can hammer a lot of (default) settings but it still will remain a concern, also for the future and what Mickey$oft might change to leech from my system. The first one is a bigger concern when playing games AND using all kind of tools I'm running on my system and with past experiences (Windows 8) and my son having used Windows 10 already at my in-laws (Minecraft is not compatible) it is something to take into account.

Any thoughts if it's 'wise' to upgrade to Windows 10 already?
    It's the same amount of privacy and backwards compatibility as 7
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2015
    i was using it on my old and already slow alienware m11x laptop for a while, i personally liked how it looks and it ran smoother than W7 for me. With that said, i dont play games on my lappy anymore so i went back to Ubuntu Linux. I saved the W10 ISO file on a USB stick so ill use it again when i build my gaming PC.

If you already have W7 i would say stick with it. But if you need to purchase a new Windows License for any reason, i dont see why not go with W10 instead.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Short answer: Yes.
    -Chuckles
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Upgraded from 8 to 10 and from 7 to 10 on both my PC and I haven't seen any issues at all. I like to keep everything updated so I don't see the reason on running on older OS.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Unless you have a specific need to upgrade now then I think it's best to just wait till closer to the deadline.  They are constantly updating it so might as well wait.  If you have the time and have backed-up everything then sure.  But in general I'd wait.  My computers are doing everything I need of them now so I see no reason at the moment.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    That's weird. http://www.cnet.com/news/which-edition-of-windows-10-will-you-get-for-free/

Did 3 upgrades to Win 10 in my house and each upgraded to the version listed in that article.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• OainOain Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Roin said:
    That's weird. http://www.cnet.com/news/which-edition-of-windows-10-will-you-get-for-free/

Did 3 upgrades to Win 10 in my house and each upgraded to the version listed in that article.

that is true. Same for me.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    For those of you that have upgraded to Windows 10.

On my current desktop I have a couple of 'gadgets' one gives me a visual of the load on each CPU, temp etc.  The other is a clock which I run multiple copies of (one for each of 5 time zones).

Will I be able to get this functionality on Windows 10?