Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm really impressed with this expansion so far......

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
edited August 2015 in Final Fantasy XIV
I did not renew my sub and buy the expansion immediately on release. And when I did start playing again, I leveled a new class and job so I did not see the new content for some time later. I am currently 58 on my highest job and I must say, I am really enjoying this game now.

1. The new zones are much bigger now. I don't feel like I am playing in "Tunnel World Online"

2. There is just so much to do. It goes way beyond the traditional quest to cap and gear treadmill from there. Yes, that is present, however, there are so many other things I have to get done outside that it gives my options to keep from being burned out too quickly.

3. The way they did flight in this game so far is the best way I have seen it done. You must unlock it though each zone by completing objectives and exploring before you can fly in a zone. Thus, the content is not made obsolete by flying. You can only skip over it after you have completed it.

4. The game is just beautiful. I have older hardware and this game plays incredibly smooth.

5. I've never been impressed with a video game sound track. This one has me listening to it. Especially how each mount has it's own theme.

6. I've never liked how MMO Theme Parks have incorporated the "chosen one" story line. And while I would rather see MMOs not have them, this story is very well done and I find myself looking to advance the story for its own sake rather than to just get though it.

7. The leveling experience is feels like it goes back to the earlier days of Theme Park MMOs. You aren't going to queue up for a couple dungeons and do a handful of quests in any given zone before you ding and move on only a few hours later. I just spent most of my free time this past weekend Sat and Sun and pushed only 2 levels.

I have traditionally been a heavy crafter in my MMOs, and I fully intend to max out a trade, but I have not touched any gathering or crafting since returning. I'll do that later. But, it means I cannot comment on how good, bad or mediocre the crafting is in this expansion. My assumption is that it's pretty much the exact extension of where the Vanilla game left off. (Which I did have some major issues with, but I'll leave that for another discussion)

I would like to see them buff the new DPS job though. It feels a bit weak compared to the others. Aside from that, I really don't have any strong complaints about the game.  

Comments

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    For crafting, you are following the only real process available to you, even if you did it by accident.

You need to take the main story to 60, you need to do hundreds of side quests and unlock flying in HW, you need to get gathering to max, at least a single desynth to 180 and then you need 60X8 crafting. This will establish an optimal red script cap, capable character. Doing it any other way turns the game in to gil farming online and with unlock systems in place, often you simply can't do it. The actual crafting system is one of the nicer ones out there but it's literally locked behind every other form of content in the game in quest form, dungeon farming form, resource form.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

I played for the story, which was great...

the rest of the expansion is what I already did up to level 50; sluggish combat, quests, I think the zones are about the same as the original game, I didn't think they were that much of an improvement, dungeons, nothing new really.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    I hated it.  Hands down worst MMO in the "AAA" market in my opinion.   

I purchased this on release, leveled to max level, got bored very quickly and quit.  Came back, started over like you did, leveled up to Max, purchased expand hoping the new classes (jobs or whatever) would be an improvement and they were just as bad.

The combat is so clunky, global cooldown is horrid, fights more or less feel like they could be text based minus avoiding the telegraphed attacks.

If I ignore the combat itself, the rest of the game feels like it was made in the 1990's.  I don't see any innovative features or mechanics that stand out over other games which offer better and more polished (and non-translated) "stuff."

The only huge positive I can give this game is you can play and level every job on a single character.  I don't enjoy (and never do) have multiple characters.  I want 1 character, 1 account, and I want to do all of my progression and investment on that single character.  This game allows you to do that which is great.  Unfortunately, the combat is horrible.  I'll give them additional credit, they make it easy for new players to enjoy the game (if you can enjoy it in first place) because they force high level characters to replay old content over and over for daily rewards.  Not great if you're tired of that content as a max level player but great for new players who need groups to do raiding of older content.

Within a week-ish I managed to get very far along on my weapon quest as well as a full set of decent gear due to the dungeon queue and groups steam-rolling most content pretty easily.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Sweet!

Maybe one day I will get over my fear of sub based MMO's and give it a try.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    As much as I enjoy hearing people talking about enjoying an incomplete leveling experience, once you're 60 for a bit you'll see how the game really is. But here's hoping you still find enjoyment.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    The expansion was good until you get to 60 and get your first tier endgame token gear. Then you are stuck with nothing to do but 1 raid and vanity gear again.

Well you can level classes by spamming fates or the same dungeon over and over I guess.

There is actually less to do in this expansion then there was to do in the prior patch if you ignore the leveling part of it.

If you are a more casual player, yea there is more then enough to keep you busy. If you are a player who wants to put in 20-30hrs a week, game is still extremely lacking, unless you enjoy bashing your head against the wall in the one elite raid due to gear requirements and weekly gear lockouts.
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Sweet!

You only play F2P titles? The very idea of only playing free to play games makes me want to throw my hands up in the air and close my eyes while screaming "don't think of the zone chat, don't think about the community" followed by rocking in the fetal position for hours in the corner of a dark quiet room. Yes, after playing Archeage, Neverwinter and TERA and even Dragon's Nest. I'm sure I can find more horrendous games but I have burned them into the recess of my consciousness. I have yet to this day played a F2P and said "Yes I'm glad I played that, and I'd like to continue to play this".
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Sweet!

You only play F2P titles? The very idea of only playing free to play games makes me want to throw my hands up in the air and close my eyes while screaming "don't think of the zone chat, don't think about the community" followed by rocking in the fetal position for hours in the corner of a dark quiet room. Yes, after playing Archeage, Neverwinter and TERA and even Dragon's Nest. I'm sure I can find more horrendous games but I have burned them into the recess of my consciousness. I have yet to this day played a F2P and said "Yes I'm glad I played that, and I'd like to continue to play this".
    Your interpretation of it, and mine, are two completely different things.

I don't really have any hangups against sub games other than I don't like to be tied down to a sub.  I just don't appreciate being forced to play or else waste my money.  I like to play when I want, and pay what I want.  

As for your description of F2P, that is just pure hyperbole.   We have different playstyles, you and I.  Lets just leave it at that.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

edited September 2015
    Your interpretation of it, and mine, are two completely different things.

I don't really have any hangups against sub games other than I don't like to be tied down to a sub.  I just don't appreciate being forced to play or else waste my money.  I like to play when I want, and pay what I want.  

As for your description of F2P, that is just pure hyperbole.   We have different playstyles, you and I.  Lets just leave it at that.
    Well I guess it depends on what F2P games you play, but no F2P in recent memory has not been more about separating your money from your wallet than giving you a memorable gameplay experience. I do not dislike F2P games so to speak, I merely dislike the type of players they bring and I am not just talking about Brazilians but the type of community overall. There are a couple of pretty decent F2P's out there but its hard to find one without a power creep, or a better advantage over another player because you put real money down. Don't think I'm defending P2P play games, FFXIV especially since at times I can question if its worth shelling out x dollars for a monthly sub but it's worth it when I don't have to turn off zone/nation chat. Don't forget the ability of being on equal ground with every other player that is playing the same MMO over buying power over anyone else is a nice bonus. 

I don't like the feeling of being held down to play one particular game myself, but that just means I wind up subbing to multiple games and bouncing back and forth. I am not rich but outside of living costs I don't very well get out much, cook my own meals and spend very little outside of gaming for entertainment. That being said 15 bones for 30 whole days of entertainment does not break the bank. Some F2P games I still enjoy returning to such as SWTOR, but due to their horrendous F2P model I wind up shelling out a month sub to do Warzones and enjoy increased exp rates. What I will say in the end is if you don't feel there is a game that is worth spending money on them I can completely level with you there since its been pretty bad Decade for MMOs. Remember I and strictly speak of MMOs, not mobas/shooters e.tc. but from reading your post I get the feeling you are talking strictly MMOS. 

Its just that paying what you want in F2P games can tend to be more than paying for a P2P unless you are a person that doesn't want a whole lot or once again are playing non MMO games e.t.c.

EDIT: I apologize for derailing the thread and if you want to continue you can hit me up via private message. 
    Post edited by Darkfalz89 on
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    It's definitely one of the best subscription based games on the market.  Plenty of things I would like to see fixed, but Heavensward did a lot to alleviate criticism of the previous iteration.  They just need to improve the darn Armory System for when it's full.

Pretty much everything in the game has its own meta, in its own way.  I'm deep into crafting and so it takes up 100% of my time.  Looking forward to the major content updates -- since they're always great and pack fulled of content that I know is worth my $15 a month... as opposed to WoD.

Housing is still a problem, especially for Free Companies.  They need to find a solution as soon as possible so that everyone can get one if they work on getting enough gil.

Almost everything seems to be lovingly crafted, from the combat to the classes and is built upon them with the new abilities in the expansion.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    It's definitely one of the best subscription based games on the market.  Plenty of things I would like to see fixed, but Heavensward did a lot to alleviate criticism of the previous iteration.  They just need to improve the darn Armory System for when it's full.

Pretty much everything in the game has its own meta, in its own way.  I'm deep into crafting and so it takes up 100% of my time.  Looking forward to the major content updates -- since they're always great and pack fulled of content that I know is worth my $15 a month... as opposed to WoD.

Housing is still a problem, especially for Free Companies.  They need to find a solution as soon as possible so that everyone can get one if they work on getting enough gil.

Almost everything seems to be lovingly crafted, from the combat to the classes and is built upon them with the new abilities in the expansion.
    Well I feel its the best "Themepark" MMO on the market, not really much else comes comes TBH.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Well I feel its the best "Themepark" MMO on the market, not really much else comes comes TBH.
    I like ESO much better than this game, but if ESO didn't exist this would be my first choice. I just hate though the wall of texts lack of voice questing model and how tunnel like the earlier levels feel. ESO just feels more open all around and the combat is more interesting to me..but FF is a beautiful world and if your eyes don't fall asleep the story is pretty good too.

There Is Always Hope!

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Painlezz said:
    I hated it.  Hands down worst MMO in the "AAA" market in my opinion.   

I purchased this on release, leveled to max level, got bored very quickly and quit.  Came back, started over like you did, leveled up to Max, purchased expand hoping the new classes (jobs or whatever) would be an improvement and they were just as bad.

The combat is so clunky, global cooldown is horrid, fights more or less feel like they could be text based minus avoiding the telegraphed attacks.

If I ignore the combat itself, the rest of the game feels like it was made in the 1990's.  I don't see any innovative features or mechanics that stand out over other games which offer better and more polished (and non-translated) "stuff."

The only huge positive I can give this game is you can play and level every job on a single character.  I don't enjoy (and never do) have multiple characters.  I want 1 character, 1 account, and I want to do all of my progression and investment on that single character.  This game allows you to do that which is great.  Unfortunately, the combat is horrible.  I'll give them additional credit, they make it easy for new players to enjoy the game (if you can enjoy it in first place) because they force high level characters to replay old content over and over for daily rewards.  Not great if you're tired of that content as a max level player but great for new players who need groups to do raiding of older content.

Within a week-ish I managed to get very far along on my weapon quest as well as a full set of decent gear due to the dungeon queue and groups steam-rolling most content pretty easily.
    And yet, something tells me you would shit yourself if you actually tried to do any current content progression. The game is easy to play, but it is in no way easy to play well, especially with the new abilities added post-50. I am not understanding what you find "clunky" about the combat system however. Maybe if your internet sucks and the abilities are lagging and you can't avoid the telegraphed areas during a fight. 

But then, I can only assume you're talking about obsolete content (weapon quest) as if it's current because you stopped playing quite a while ago and haven't really played the expansion.

I admit, however, I am more invested in the world, characters and story than the gameplay, and the end-game is lacking at the moment, so I'm just killing time until the next patch. 

Regardless, it's funny how people's opinions differ so extremely. You call it the worst MMO in the AAA market. I call it the best game to come along since WoW in 2004, and the only game I've found to be even remotely addictive beyond the first month or so. In this oversaturated market, games are lucky to hold my attention beyond a few days, let alone a year or more as FFXIV has done. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited September 2015
    I wonder about the "1-2-3" slow combat system claims. It makes me question what level that observation was made. Maybe at like level 15 it's like that. But at high level. managing rotations gets a little tricky. It would be next to impossible to optimize DPS if the GCD were any faster. I'm never waiting on that GCD...maybe for a specific cast, but I always have something to click.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Xatsh said:
    The expansion was good until you get to 60 and get your first tier endgame token gear. Then you are stuck with nothing to do but 1 raid and vanity gear again.

Well you can level classes by spamming fates or the same dungeon over and over I guess.

There is actually less to do in this expansion then there was to do in the prior patch if you ignore the leveling part of it.

If you are a more casual player, yea there is more then enough to keep you busy. If you are a player who wants to put in 20-30hrs a week, game is still extremely lacking, unless you enjoy bashing your head against the wall in the one elite raid due to gear requirements and weekly gear lockouts.
    Wish I could say the same thing but I can't seem to muster the will to get pass the boring main quest line with the forced raiding to even enjoy the 50 bucks I spent on the expansion.   So dumb you have to do complete 100s of quests to even play the new classes or even set foot on the new area.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Xatsh said:

Wish I could say the same thing but I can't seem to muster the will to get pass the boring main quest line with the forced raiding to even enjoy the 50 bucks I spent on the expansion.   So dumb you have to do complete 100s of quests to even play the new classes or even set foot on the new area.
    I have a friend that bitched about that last night.  Then he realized he would be leveling with all the quest.  Now I am not saying its good or bad.  Just saying you are going to level with the storyline.  NOW with that said its about 10 hours of quest, a friend of mine did it in 2 days this past weekend.  

As for Xatsh gripe about 20 to 30 hours a week.  Who does that now?  Seriously the majority of the MMO Community does not spend that amount of time anymore.  Not saying is good or bad.  However its the truth and publishers are making games for the masses.  I know it sucks however bitching about it with any game outside of the Kickstarters is pointless.  I know it sucks but no MMO is going to make content where it takes someone 20 or 30 hours a week to complete anymore.  
    edited September 2015
    danwest58 said:
    Xatsh said:
    I have a friend that bitched about that last night.  Then he realized he would be leveling with all the quest.  Now I am not saying its good or bad.  Just saying you are going to level with the storyline.  NOW with that said its about 10 hours of quest, a friend of mine did it in 2 days this past weekend.  

As for Xatsh gripe about 20 to 30 hours a week.  Who does that now?  Seriously the majority of the MMO Community does not spend that amount of time anymore.  Not saying is good or bad.  However its the truth and publishers are making games for the masses.  I know it sucks however bitching about it with any game outside of the Kickstarters is pointless.  I know it sucks but no MMO is going to make content where it takes someone 20 or 30 hours a week to complete anymore.  
    Quite a few people actually dedicate more than 30 hours a week playing MMO's or broken up between several enjoyable mini time sinks due to lack of a MMO that gives them 30+ hours of stuff to do. I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that power casuals are unable to burn a couple of hours spread between 7 entire days? Fairly sure that is the case especially when you are paying $14.00+ dollars a month for that game.What do you expect that everyone is married with kids from our generation? Granted that games of today are even catered to our generation in the first place whether married/w kids or not. If anything the very masses that you speak of have all the time in the world to spare. 
    edited September 2015
    danwest58 said:
    Xatsh said:

Quite a few people actually dedicate more than 30 hours a week playing MMO's or broken up between several enjoyable mini time sinks due to lack of a MMO that gives them 30+ hours of stuff to do. I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that power casuals are unable to burn a couple of hours spread between 7 entire days? Fairly sure that is the case especially when you are paying $14.00+ dollars a month for that game.What do you expect that everyone is married with kids from our generation? Granted that games of today are even catered to our generation in the first place whether married/w kids or not. If anything the very masses that you speak of have all the time in the world to spare. 
    while I agree that there is a group out there that do not have this responsibilities.  The fact still remains that the largest group of players are ones that are married with kids.  I just look at the group of players that I play with or that I have played with about 1 out of 4 are in that category no kids no family.  With that said today I tend to play with people that are in the same boat as I am however all of my friends I been playing with for years are in the same boat as I am in were as 10 years ago we were not.  Also if you look at Wildstar which was designed for the hardcore 30 hour a week gamer, had failed because its such a small part of the market it cannot be cattered to.  As much as I want things gone like Duty Finder where is cross realm, or harder raids which takes months to complete.  That is no longer the market.  I cannot bitch endlessly about it because I am sorry its just not coming back.   

I know its wrong to say this but you have to make a game for the market.  Just like the developers from the game Saga of Lucimia love to be blind to the true market just because there is 12 of them that have no family no kids and are still single, I can show you a lot more who are in the true MMO market.  Saga of Lucimia want to make a Group MMO where you cannot do anything outside of a group, plus require 20 to 40 hours a week of game play.  They got a total of 64 backers.  Why didnt they get more?  Because this is such a small market you cannot consider them for much of anything.  

Now what needs to be done is like we said.  More Dungeons, like 10 or 20 more.  That will give people WAY more to do than what we have right now.  You can also do some tiered gear progression through that.  It would give people with more time more to do without going hardcore like WildStar did and wasting a game in the space, you know what I mean.  
    edited September 2015
    danwest58 said:
    danwest58 said:
    Xatsh said:
    while I agree that there is a group out there that do not have this responsibilities.  The fact still remains that the largest group of players are ones that are married with kids.  I just look at the group of players that I play with or that I have played with about 1 out of 4 are in that category no kids no family.  With that said today I tend to play with people that are in the same boat as I am however all of my friends I been playing with for years are in the same boat as I am in were as 10 years ago we were not.  Also if you look at Wildstar which was designed for the hardcore 30 hour a week gamer, had failed because its such a small part of the market it cannot be cattered to.  As much as I want things gone like Duty Finder where is cross realm, or harder raids which takes months to complete.  That is no longer the market.  I cannot bitch endlessly about it because I am sorry its just not coming back.   

I know its wrong to say this but you have to make a game for the market.  Just like the developers from the game Saga of Lucimia love to be blind to the true market just because there is 12 of them that have no family no kids and are still single, I can show you a lot more who are in the true MMO market.  Saga of Lucimia want to make a Group MMO where you cannot do anything outside of a group, plus require 20 to 40 hours a week of game play.  They got a total of 64 backers.  Why didnt they get more?  Because this is such a small market you cannot consider them for much of anything.  

Now what needs to be done is like we said.  More Dungeons, like 10 or 20 more.  That will give people WAY more to do than what we have right now.  You can also do some tiered gear progression through that.  It would give people with more time more to do without going hardcore like WildStar did and wasting a game in the space, you know what I mean.  
    Wait a minute so what you are saying is that because I am 26 and not married w/kids I have 0 responsibility? My eyes have been opened Danwest, better tell this to my girlfriend so we can pop two out real quick so I can be a contributing member of society. You really need to stop using your small ring of friends as a applicable census to everything. So by your logic of my circle of 10+ friends ONE of them is married and they have ZERO kids, they opted for 2 dogs > having a kid/s. So according to that no one has kids that plays MMO's? I raised my nephew almost by myself and lived with 3 kids that were practically my own, I am in no hurry to become "responsible" as you call it.

Do you actually properly research anything that you talk about? Wildstar failed because it was a buggy un optimized mess that was trying to cram the old long lost idea of 40 man raids, not because it offered 30+ hours of content. Google is your friend, a quick google search of the game with fail keywords would of told you that so there is no reason make up why everything failed instead of researching it.

You don't have to make a game for the market, has 10 years of failed MMO's making their game "for the market" not taught you how ironic that statement is? Do you not understand that there are multiple factors when it comes to a successful kickstarter that can contribute to a games failure? Also according to the Saga of Lucimia Indiegogo page the project was 78% funded and is well underway with production and the website has constant updates. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-saga-of-lucimia-indiegogo-campaign#/story

The owner and other staff are very helpful and are answering all questions not matter how simple or complex they are, all the supporters are looking forward to the product and currently enjoying alpha access. If they were asking some extreme amount like $100k-500k and got only 5-10% of the funding then yes I'd call it a wash but indiegogo does not work the same way as Kickstarter when it comes to full goal reached/funded. Once again I spent 5 minutes to look up this information to yet once again say you are making up information. Granted the bottom line it only had 61 backers, but the presentation/videos/artwork and overall was very lackluster + add what happened to Pathfinder to the mix and many no longer so quick to immediately jump to fund every MMO and as a result are more skeptical. 

FFXIV need more than just dungeons, it needs more activities to do in the open world and less pushing instances down peoples throats. The bottom line is neither me nor you have concrete numbers on the age variation/level of "responsibility" of the average player that plays today's MMO's and even if we were to procure articles of numbers claiming to be accurate there is no way we could prove them. I can however tell you that your circle of friends and mine are polar opposites and that goes for many others as well. Before you say my group of friends are a pack of washouts in much nicer worlds I will let you know that most of them are well off with lucrative careers that opted for sports cars and personal luxury vs. getting married and having kids becuz that = "responsible".

I am also a firm disbeliever of marriage as are most of my friends because we live in a very different world today, with the way the world is going in the generation of kids following me I would fear to raise a child in the generation following. I however would like to believe that many players would like more than 30 hours of content to do a week, you cant help but think the reason why sub numbers drop for MMOs between patches/prior to expansions for more reasons than playing other games? Just a random thought that I'll admit is way out there but still you cant just paint it all black and white because that's the way things are for you. 
    danwest58 said:
    danwest58 said:
    Xatsh said:

Wait a minute so what you are saying is that because I am 26 and not married w/kids I have 0 responsibility? My eyes have been opened Danwest, better tell this to my girlfriend so we can pop two out real quick so I can be a contributing member of society. You really need to stop using your small ring of friends as a applicable census to everything. So by your logic of my circle of 10+ friends ONE of them is married and they have ZERO kids, they opted for 2 dogs > having a kid/s. So according to that no one has kids that plays MMO's? I raised my nephew almost by myself and lived with 3 kids that were practically my own, I am in no hurry to become "responsible" as you call it.

Do you actually properly research anything that you talk about? Wildstar failed because it was a buggy un optimized mess that was trying to cram the old long lost idea of 40 man raids, not because it offered 30+ hours of content. Google is your friend, a quick google search of the game with fail keywords would of told you that so there is no reason make up why everything failed instead of researching it.

You don't have to make a game for the market, has 10 years of failed MMO's making their game "for the market" not taught you how ironic that statement is? Do you not understand that there are multiple factors when it comes to a successful kickstarter that can contribute to a games failure? Also according to the Saga of Lucimia Indiegogo page the project was 78% funded and is well underway with production and the website has constant updates. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-saga-of-lucimia-indiegogo-campaign#/story

The owner and other staff are very helpful and are answering all questions not matter how simple or complex they are, all the supporters are looking forward to the product and currently enjoying alpha access. If they were asking some extreme amount like $100k-500k and got only 5-10% of the funding then yes I'd call it a wash but indiegogo does not work the same way as Kickstarter when it comes to full goal reached/funded. Once again I spent 5 minutes to look up this information to yet once again say you are making up information. Granted the bottom line it only had 61 backers, but the presentation/videos/artwork and overall was very lackluster + add what happened to Pathfinder to the mix and many no longer so quick to immediately jump to fund every MMO and as a result are more skeptical. 

FFXIV need more than just dungeons, it needs more activities to do in the open world and less pushing instances down peoples throats. The bottom line is neither me nor you have concrete numbers on the age variation/level of "responsibility" of the average player that plays today's MMO's and even if we were to procure articles of numbers claiming to be accurate there is no way we could prove them. I can however tell you that your circle of friends and mine are polar opposites and that goes for many others as well. Before you say my group of friends are a pack of washouts in much nicer worlds I will let you know that most of them are well off with lucrative careers that opted for sports cars and personal luxury vs. getting married and having kids becuz that = "responsible".

I am also a firm disbeliever of marriage as are most of my friends because we live in a very different world today, with the way the world is going in the generation of kids following me I would fear to raise a child in the generation following. I however would like to believe that many players would like more than 30 hours of content to do a week, you cant help but think the reason why sub numbers drop for MMOs between patches/prior to expansions for more reasons than playing other games? Just a random thought that I'll admit is way out there but still you cant just paint it all black and white because that's the way things are for you. 
    Lets not get involved with responsibility because that can start a flame war. Lets just agree the bit of information that can be googled about gamer age and what not is around 30 and for the most part people around that age have kids.  Because googling that information its fairly easy to see that people with kids that are in their 30s do have different responsibilities and different time restrictions.  It comes with having Kids.  

Lets really talk about content the core problem in FFXIV right now.  They need More to do however they need more that is not overly time consuming.  Too often people who talk about content talk about 40 man raids and needing 6 to 10 hours a week plus 10 hour a week grinding shit.  Not on the Quality vs quantity vs time sink balance.  Often you hear people who talk about needing more to do in game and saying we need a vanilla WOW type game.  AKA Wildstar which did fail because it went into the major time sink category.  20/40 man raids, attunements that were long and a pain in the ass and so on.   

When I say we need more Dungeons I say it because having 10 to 20 dungeons setup tiered can add a lot of content to the game.  You want open world stuff which can also be put in.  When we say we need more content we need to talk about proper balanced content.  That is Quality, Quantity and Time Sink.  

Anyway if we are going to carry on this conversation lets talk about content and what can be added that is a balance between  Quality, Quantity and Time Sink.  Because if you dont balance this you will loose players.  So we need to find a common ground and that can be done without making hardcore content or casual content.  It can be done with balanced content.  
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Anything involving gear grinding is honestly never going to be enough content. Unless people honestly think that getting something of a certain item, just to use that gear to get replacements for the gear just obtained, over and over and over is content. In my opinion, the main reason why some people dont like FFXIV that played XI is because most gear in XI's prime was persistent. Sadly, it does take a lot of time to think about gear progression in a system like that so you dont make something obsolete but it does keep people motivated to do content. XIV has followed the same path as wow, continuously producing content that would be obsolete in 2-3 three months tops. Can you really call that content? It needs to go back XI and actually have a team that uses their brain in terms of how to make content actually matter longer than 2-3 months.
    edited September 2015
    danwest58 said:
    danwest58 said:
    danwest58 said:
    Xatsh said:

Lets not get involved with responsibility because that can start a flame war. Lets just agree the bit of information that can be googled about gamer age and what not is around 30 and for the most part people around that age have kids.  Because googling that information its fairly easy to see that people with kids that are in their 30s do have different responsibilities and different time restrictions.  It comes with having Kids.  

Lets really talk about content the core problem in FFXIV right now.  They need More to do however they need more that is not overly time consuming.  Too often people who talk about content talk about 40 man raids and needing 6 to 10 hours a week plus 10 hour a week grinding shit.  Not on the Quality vs quantity vs time sink balance.  Often you hear people who talk about needing more to do in game and saying we need a vanilla WOW type game.  AKA Wildstar which did fail because it went into the major time sink category.  20/40 man raids, attunements that were long and a pain in the ass and so on.   

When I say we need more Dungeons I say it because having 10 to 20 dungeons setup tiered can add a lot of content to the game.  You want open world stuff which can also be put in.  When we say we need more content we need to talk about proper balanced content.  That is Quality, Quantity and Time Sink.  

Anyway if we are going to carry on this conversation lets talk about content and what can be added that is a balance between  Quality, Quantity and Time Sink.  Because if you dont balance this you will loose players.  So we need to find a common ground and that can be done without making hardcore content or casual content.  It can be done with balanced content.  
    Well if you have been seeing players like that then I don't blame you for assuming what I meant by my posts above, even these days you see people that actually want the old days of FFXI back... I still fail to see where having children means you are a responsible adult actually fall in the same sentence. As if your measured worth increases because you brought life into this world, ill get a dog/cat and take the sports car/more indulged lifestyle thank you. Once again that is my opinion and you have yours, however If you really feel that way I would love you to educate me where responsibility =/= whether you have children because that just sounds arrogant.

As far as what this game needs, not really sure If I have the energy to go on. We have already gone over what the game needs several times and we just need to hope some JP players feel the same so things change. After this whole live letter debacle I'm just worn out and thoroughly disappointed, I think that if SE gets a vacation then I'm taking a vacation from this game. Ill be more than happy to return when they make it a game worth returning to, that announcement was the straw that broke the camels back for me. For the sake of staying on topic (minus your thoughts of responsibility, id like your quick thoughts on that so you can private message me) if you have an qualms with this paragraph you can visit my 2 month delay thread and we can continue there.
    edited September 2015

Albatroes said:
    Anything involving gear grinding is honestly never going to be enough content. Unless people honestly think that getting something of a certain item, just to use that gear to get replacements for the gear just obtained, over and over and over is content. In my opinion, the main reason why some people dont like FFXIV that played XI is because most gear in XI's prime was persistent. Sadly, it does take a lot of time to think about gear progression in a system like that so you dont make something obsolete but it does keep people motivated to do content. XIV has followed the same path as wow, continuously producing content that would be obsolete in 2-3 three months tops. Can you really call that content? It needs to go back XI and actually have a team that uses their brain in terms of how to make content actually matter longer than 2-3 months.
    Well I can go either way and both have their pros and cons but saying yoshi and company are not using their brains I think is over the top. I mean a lot of people don't even like horizontal progression and for some good reasons. Yes I could call that content but it actually lasts 6 months. You know plenty of folks out there think that owning the same gear for years is silly. Balance is always an issue in horizontal progression not to mention eventual armor bloat.
    Definitely can agree with you there Driven, trying to implement a way of horizontal progression in a current gen MMO is very risky and delicate. That being said I have very little to no hope of them adding alternate gear progression and stat distribution as it seems they dumb down stats each new version (1.0.-2.0-3.0) and since its been an aggressive vertical progression game since 2.0 I have very little hope that will change. From a developer standpoint I feel it would be very hard to spend so much time making something that is obsolete in 3-6 months when it can take a upwards of that to make it in the first place. 

No one said that you couldn't find a nice middle ground to all of this though, I will admit however that its one of the major detractors from me enjoying this game. No one is asking for gear to be relevant several years down the road, just 3-6 months is a bit...much. Maybe the problem isn't gear itself, maybe its how each x job feels like any other playing x job. Trait/Armoury/Customization revamps could be very well what we really need. A re-purposing of secondary stats and ways to augment your class to play differently from others playing the same class. In the end its not how long gear is relevant, its how many different places you can get it from and how much you vary all of them. The ability to mix and match at your leisure rather than stress over differences in ilvl really make the battle content very stale in this game.