Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pretty interesting Wurm gave everything for free.

makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
edited September 2015 in Wurm Online
Nice, that in a month you can make your own Wurm server for free by the looks. Maybe some one will make a server, where there is no favorites, and no cheats;) Prolly not, people seem to like it when, they can just give some one 50 bucks, and they do all the work for them. I am sure some one will make some money, o wait I mean donations haha. 
Post edited by Amana on

Comments

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Always wanted to try Wurm, would love a Free Server population like they are intending to support. I think it will be interesting to say the least.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, it should be fun. Dayz epoch managed to keep some good servers, this should be no different. I think Wurm is a better game than Dayz Epoch. Here is the site for any one that wanted to see it. Here is the email they gave me, where i found out. 

We at Code Club, together with Plug In Digital, are very proud to announce Wurm Unlimited - the next step for the Wurm Fantasy Sandbox!

Coming to Steam the 21st of October 2015, Wurm Unlimited allows you to play in the Wurm world locally on your PC and even host persistent servers yourselves.

The game is pretty much a full copy of the current MMO engine with Steam integration. The idea behind the release is to present the Wurm world to new players and also help players who never got into the game to experience it in a more relaxed way. Hopefully our current or previous players will find it entertaining as well.

There are initially two modes planned for release: "Adventure", which is a predefined world with a few warring kingdoms to live in and explore, and "Creative" which is an undeveloped map. The main goal for the Adventure mode will be to find a way of becoming a deity on the moon Valrei which we think is suitable both for a single player and a group of players either cooperating or belonging to different kingdoms.

In both modes you can set your player to become a Game Master with the possibility to instantly create items, summon creatures, build and terraform faster in order to create the experience you want for other players or just fool around with the features. You can also copy the whole game directory of any mode and create own, custom modes. You will be able to tweak variables such as initial skill values, skill gain rate, action timers and max number of creatures. It will also be possible to connect servers to each other and travel between them in order to create large persistent clusters.

Go ahead and check out the Steam page at http://store.steampowered.com/app/366220!

We will also write compile an FAQ. If you have questions, please post them in the relevant thread in our forum section here.

Wurm and Code Club in a nutshell:
    Code Club is the independent game developer behind the sandbox MMO Wurm Online.
    Released commercially in 2006 the game is still unique in that it features a persistent non-instanced fantasy sandbox world with complex terraforming, a player driven economy, free location player housing and settlements coupled with a huge feature set.

Plug in Digital in a nutshell:

Plug in Digital focuses on distributing video games on digital platforms. Our motto, “Your games everywhere” explains it all. The company provides turnkey solutions for worldwide distribution and trade marketing in order to support video games throughout their entire lifecycles. Working hand in hand with all major distribution platforms as well as the main retail and cloud gaming actors, Plug in Digital’s team ensures an outstanding exposure and monetization of your games.

For more information: http://www.plug-in-digital.com/.

• GroundlessGroundless Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I just started playing Wurm a week ago and purchased a subscription just before they announced this new game client. I'm wishing I had waited, since it seems the majority of the 2000+ player base is selling off their accounts and abandoning ship as they see this as the last death knell of the game. Interestingly some people are buying up all these sales as they see this as the rebirth of the game, with tons of new players joining the live servers from Steam. Overall the mood in the game global chat is mixed feelings and confusion about the future of the game. Since the gameplay is so time intensive people are basically in a holding pattern waiting to figure out what to do next.

You will be able to increase your skill gain rate on these private servers, essentially killing any motivation to play the actual live servers which are insanely grindy. People who have been playing the game for nearly ten years are just now getting their skill levels above 95. Check out this post of a guy who spent six years getting from 95 to 100 skill in Carpentry. 

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/130273-you-have-just-received-the-title-legendary-architect/?hl=legendary

The fear about these private servers is that anyone can make one and just increase their skill gains to avoid the decades of grinding and commitment that characterizes this game and makes it truly unique. This may ruin some of the great mystery behind this game.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    edited September 2015
    I just started playing Wurm a week ago and purchased a subscription just before they announced this new game client. I'm wishing I had waited, since it seems the majority of the 2000+ player base is selling off their accounts and abandoning ship as they see this as the last death knell of the game. Interestingly some people are buying up all these sales as they see this as the rebirth of the game, with tons of new players joining the live servers from Steam. Overall the mood in the game global chat is mixed feelings and confusion about the future of the game. Since the gameplay is so time intensive people are basically in a holding pattern waiting to figure out what to do next.

You will be able to increase your skill gain rate on these private servers, essentially killing any motivation to play the actual live servers which are insanely grindy. People who have been playing the game for nearly ten years are just now getting their skill levels above 95. Check out this post of a guy who spent six years getting from 95 to 100 skill in Carpentry. 

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/130273-you-have-just-received-the-title-legendary-architect/?hl=legendary

The fear about these private servers is that anyone can make one and just increase their skill gains to avoid the decades of grinding and commitment that characterizes this game and makes it truly unique. This may ruin some of the great mystery behind this game.
    I Wouldn't worry too much. I seriously doubt any one is gonna make a popular private server. It just takes to much work . Look at Ryzom, that released the server code years, and years ago. No one made a private server of any worth yet. As far as thinking, that people who don't like the grind, and don't want to spent 10 years doing, they wouldn't of any ways lol. Any body who likes that kind of thing would stick to it. The people that would join a sever with make lvl 100 in 10 mins, wouldn't of played on the original server, and the people who did, wouldn't want to play on the other one. Look at it this way, Ulitma online has had private servers, with all sorts of speed gains, and other stuff, it def did not kill UO. In fact if anything it helped UO, with getting it more advertisement. 

I am not sure, why that would kill motivation to play a hard game. That would be like saying, Monopoly JR killed all motivation to play Monopoly, because JR only takes 15 mins to play vs 3+ hours of monopoly. The people who play MP JR wouldn't like regular MP and, the people who like MP don't like MP JR, saying that forcing people to play regular MP, who hate the long grind of that game, just because there is no other alternative, doesn't do anything, they just wont play. 
  • zCatzCat Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Yes many GMs give themselve big skill boosts, but no need to try to compete with them, just play your own game