Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Tester's Opinion about Horizons

What do you think of the game so far beta testers? I have seen good and bad reviews. I cant decide whether to get Horizons or not.

Alethor

Alethor

Comments

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Since the Euro release will be so soon then you will probably have better luck waiting for the reviews to come out.

Although it was lifted for the press, the NDA is still in effect for the players.

~Mysk

http://www.myskyra.net/blog

• ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91

Check this link out. It might give you some helpful information.

http://horizonsvault.ign.com/features/preview/vn_preview.shtml

• UrsaboiUrsaboi Member Posts: 82
    beta review may b bad, but thats cuz the game is sucky for beta testers. the release version includes many other things and many good changes.

• cedoricedori Member Posts: 500

Will it depends on your play style and what your looking for in a game.  I usually keep tabs on a game that I'm interested in if I'm not in the beta team.  I was in beta on this one and enjoyed myself, but thats about all I can say for now.

Please do what others do and check out the reviews and previews.  Also, make sure to keep up with the game info that is put out on the web from reviewers.

As one has already stated, the Europe is being released 12/05/03, give it a day and you will be able to find many reviews on it then.  Should be plenty of time to decide if you want to purchase it or not by release in USA on Tuesday 12/09/03.

Good luck in your search for a mmorpg and I hope HZ is what your looking for.

• ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91

It's pretty significant that Horizons beta preview was so good. If they think the beta is this good, then the retail version should rule! Lets hope! image

yes, let us hope!

on a side note, guys what r ur names gonna be? im gonna b Psiboi, a gnome mage scholar.

lets try to meet up in game!

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Ursaboi
    beta review may b bad, but thats cuz the game is sucky for beta testers. the release version includes many other things and many good changes.

If beta still sucks at this point then there will be some big problems at release.  If you still experience a high amount of bugs and other crap, most of it will be in the retail version.  Beta is for that single reason, get the crap out before retail.  By the end of beta you are looking at what is going to be retail.  It it lacks in the end of beta, then it will blow in retail.  Remember AO launch...and SWG.  And no where in NDA does it say you can't say the game blows or not :)

I don't know what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    ~Albert Einstein

• AlethorAlethor Member Posts: 58

Yes that is what I am doing, waiting for the reviews. What site do you think will have the European reviews?  

In response to Ursaboi's question, I'm going to be Alethor, a ranger/swordsman. I also want to use herbs for healing people, like some sort of medic.  

We should find out what the servers are going to be and then we can meet up.

Alethor

Alethor

• ShineyShiney Member Posts: 19

game is not worth ur money at this stage.

visit the horizons.vault official forum for more detailed reviews

if you wanna pay for an extended 6 months of mediocre quality beta, then it's a game for you

S.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Like any MMOG, I would strongly recommend that anyone wait approximately 3 months after release before you get Horizons.

It'll be a great game in time, but those folks who jump in early are going to have a bumpy ride.

~Mysk

http://www.myskyra.net/blog

• ReebdoogReebdoog Member Posts: 56

Personal opinion? I hated it. I enjoyed the fact that crafting and even writing spells was very involved...but the game just wasn't fun at all to me...not even a bit. :::^(::

• Darkknight35Darkknight35 Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I Beta'd. I thought it Sucked. i got FFXI instead. im happy.

they already said they fixed most (if not all) of the bugs, and lag issues. they also said that not everything in the game is in beta, and that many new things will come at launch.

i also heard that FFXI sucked

• acethamanacethaman Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Shiney game is not worth ur money at this stage. visit the horizons.vault official forum for more detailed reviews if you wanna pay for an extended 6 months of mediocre quality beta, then it's a game for you S.

Again, I'd like to hear what you base this opinion/information on. I mean, you already playing the retail or what?

Im not disagreeing you, but not agreeing either. Id just like you to hold your opinions until you (we) actually see what's it like before making statements like that like it was the cosmic truth.

Im personally gonna give it a whirl.. I preordered and if it happens to suck bad, no harm done. Then I'll just move on to something else.

• drizdriz Member Posts: 8

Sorry guys but in my honest opinion, the game is not ready for release - there are allot of changes that need to be made to improve gameplay, and there is no story lines / Quests that make the players involved in the game at a fun level, to be honest im bored there is nothing to do in the game, i tryed to do some crafting but im not to keen on it, battleing and questing is what i like and the battleing is good, but there are only a handfull of quests, so for the gamer who says that there not interssted in crafting then they are pretty stuffed :S  -  but all in all, with those few fetures added mabey in the full relase it has allot of potentioal, but if they are not added i belive that the game will be dead before christmas is up

Sorry Guys image

Driz

• SupergohanSupergohan Member UncommonPosts: 54

i put some of my own screenshots online. http://www.supergohan.cch-network.com/screenschots.htm  check them

You aint much, if you aint Dutch
    www.mmozone.nl

• THAILETHAILE Member Posts: 14
    Nice screenshots, graphics look really nice image

Originally posted by acethaman

Originally posted by Shiney game is not worth ur money at this stage. visit the horizons.vault official forum for more detailed reviews if you wanna pay for an extended 6 months of mediocre quality beta, then it's a game for you S.

Again, I'd like to hear what you base this opinion/information on. I mean, you already playing the retail or what?

Im not disagreeing you, but not agreeing either. Id just like you to hold your opinions until you (we) actually see what's it like before making statements like that like it was the cosmic truth.

Im personally gonna give it a whirl.. I preordered and if it happens to suck bad, no harm done. Then I'll just move on to something else.

hi,

I base my opinion on personal experience as I have been testing the game.

I recommend Horizon.Vault as it was filled up with testers reviews since NDA was lifted.

Another good one to check is www.tazoon.com

go there and go into the US beta forums, http://www.tazoon.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=5577&PN=1

this post resumes testers feeling listing their good/bad/weird impressions about the game.

I do not post here in details as I dun think i could make an objective short post, but the above post and overall vault posts give a certain impression about the game, which is basically what i originally posted.

Per definition as a mmorpg it has potential, never intended to sound pretentious here. Is just my opinion and a good advice.

the Game has so many annoying things that needs be changed, tune, fixed or also simply lack the spark that shouldnbt be released yet.

Of course the Belivers come with statements about the miracle last minute patch, but from what I've seen i seriosuly doubt it.

Best of all is w8 for few months b4 spending ur money, or try it straight and find urself now.

I wish I was wrong.

tc

S.

• zexipherzexipher Member Posts: 19

I believe I would find it hard to play the game.

• SereniteeSerenitee Member Posts: 15

We are all entitled to our opinions...

What's so funny is... everyone is so quick to "RANT" and put down a game and not many give praise.  In all there are always gives and takes, and it's the same case with Horizon's.  Yes there were issue's, yes there were bugs.  But ya know, what is so totally perfect and flawless upon release.  Majority of the time games have issues, bugs, etc.  AO is a prime example...  but guess what, they over came their problems, addressed the issues and tried to fix them and gee they are going strong!

That being said, Horizon's is pretty decent.  It has a decent story line to it.  No it's not overly fantasic as the lore to EQ or setup's of some other games, but there is something there... they deserve credit for that.  Yes the game has a very nice crafting system.  There is a slight amount of risk involved when you reach the higher tier's and such. 

Half the post's I have read and come across are one's of judgement that are so negative... but ironically, if the people hated the game so much or whatever the case, they kept on beta testing it...

Yes I beta tested Horizon's, and I had fun.  There were quirks in it, yes I had lag issues and such, but I worked around some of those problems.  The combat, I didn't mind that either... lack of risk, well I found ways to make fighting interesting and fun.  So all in all I did have a blast playing it.

So to all those that are SO quick to judge and simply only rant...

Pretend you never played EQ, DAOC, AC1 or AC2 ... and then write a review 

"I've become insane
    with long intervals
    of horrible sanity"

-E.A. Poe

• AluadanAluadan Member Posts: 118

Avoid this game at all costs unless you only have one desire and that is to craft. I don't know how you can actually take a step back in combat gameplay from DAoC, EQ, FFXI etc. but somehow horizons managed to do that. If you also enjoy playing in 1st person view Horizons is not for you as it's completely ackward and your view is usually obstructed by either a weapon or a shield and overall it just needs a lot of work leaving you with only a 3rd person perspective.

Also, where are the quests? And I don't mean the crafting wiggets or killing 10 zombies but a true quest becuase they virtually do not exist. If you actually enjoy good questing in a mmorpg which should be there, again, horizons is not for you.

All i can say is if yo realy want this game wait, just wait and see what becomes of it - wait abut 4-5 months and then we shall see if the do anything to it - but if ur looking for a realy realy good MMORPG you just wont find 1 cuz they all have thier down sides - but i belive that EQ 2 should change all of that, so my advice is wait!

sorry posted twice :S

Originally posted by Serenitee

Pretend you never played EQ, DAOC, AC1 or AC2 ... and then write a review 

well, how do you come to establish your criteria to judge a game then? on the basis of what?

if a company develops a game they know it needs to be better than anything already on the market to succeed, isnt true? and "better" taken in the widest possible meaning here.

All players will compare the product to already existing ones, there is no way to escape it. And that goes for everything on consument market, no?