Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOBA For a Wimpy First-Timer

2»

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Are the facts that I'm slow and uncoordinated going to kill it for me?
    Unless frustration gives you a feeling of euphoria, or feeling completely incompetent is a head rush,  I would suggest just staying far far away.

In any case you will probably figure this out in the first hour.
    Do you speak of experience? Or you figured MOBAS are not for you "in the first hour". In any case this is not true. People can develop their co-ordination and reactions. Also MOBAs are not so twitchy as some people in this thread make them out to be. Now if you enjoy spacing out and going on autopilot (aka playing MMORPGs) then MOBAs won't let you do that.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

edited September 2015
    The more you play the better you get at these kind of games, but the question is will the player base let you?.....MOBAs are known to have some very rude people due to the nature of the competitive games.
    How can the playerbase not "let him"? Worst that can happen is they curse him in the chat. But who gives a fuck? Just ignore the trolls. Now if you get easily offended when someone call you a name, then you need to build some resilience...

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

edited September 2015
    The more you play the better you get at these kind of games, but the question is will the player base let you?.....MOBAs are known to have some very rude people due to the nature of the competitive games.
    How is playing more going to make him faster and more coordinated?

Sure you can improve to a point, with knowledge, but when it comes down to the crunch against some 18 year old with a competitive gaming rig, you will get owned.

Over and over and over.

Until you quit.   But hey maybe it will be fun for you, up to that point.
    No offence but having quick reactions and co-ordination are skills. As every other skill they can be improved. 

Is it me or it feels like that a lot of people in this topic have barely (if at all!!!) played MOBAs. People who have played DOTA/LOL for like 10-15 hours and quit should not really comment as they have no idea what they are talking about. I am sure the poster I have quoted is one of those people who quit after 10 hours or so.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    fivoroth said:
    How is playing more going to make him faster and more coordinated?

Sure you can improve to a point, with knowledge, but when it comes down to the crunch against some 18 year old with a competitive gaming rig, you will get owned.

Over and over and over.

Until you quit.   But hey maybe it will be fun for you, up to that point.
    No offence but having quick reactions and co-ordination are skills. As every other skill they can be improved. 

Is it me or it feels like that a lot of people in this topic have barely (if at all!!!) played MOBAs. People who have played DOTA/LOL for like 10-15 hours and quit should not really comment as they have no idea what they are talking about. I am sure the poster I have quoted is one of those people who quit after 10 hours or so.
    Well I think the only one that can answer this question is the OP.

I hope he gives one of these games a shot and lets us know if someone who is slow and uncoordinated can enjoy a MOBA.

Long term.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited September 2015
     Well there are countless articles from reputable places on the web, that show gaming sessions help develop better coordination skills. If those aren't enough though here's a peer reviewed article on how games can even help for severe conditions, such as cerebral palsy. Pretty awesome, if you ask me. Practice makes perfect as they say, or at least it helps.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/252026028_Serious_gaming_to_improve_bimanual_coordination_in_children_with_spastic_cerebral_palsy
    Post edited by Realizer on
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Realizer said:
     Well there are countless articles from reputable places on the web, that show gaming sessions help develop better coordination skills. If those aren't enough though here's a peer reviewed article on how games can even help for severe conditions, such as cerebral palsy. Pretty awesome, if you ask me. Practice makes perfect as they say, or at least it helps.

http://http//www.researchgate.net/publication/252026028_Serious_gaming_to_improve_bimanual_coordination_in_children_with_spastic_cerebral_palsy
    I didn't get a chance to read this because the link did not work.

I would be curious if they could quantify how much improvement or if it is just subjective.

Here's the thing though.  These games are meant to be competitive.   So you are going to be up against a generally hardcore, probably younger,  better twitch skills and most important in these games IMO, better multitasking skill.  

So I would ask, if you are starting from the bottom skill wise and physically wise, how much can you realistically expect to improve your skills?  And how far can you go before getting beat hard and often, just wears you down?

Problem I have is when people talk like all you have to do is play and learn the game and you will be competitive, I think that really depends on a lot of factors.  Not just keep trying and you will constantly improve.  Don't believe that at all.  You will only improve to the limit of your skill and ability.

I sure don't see many older slow guys when I watch e-sports.   But if the OP can have fun then by all means go for it.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited September 2015
    Edit: Fixed link in other post.

Also I think that the reason you don't see old slow guys in esports is because the kids in esports play 12 hours a day, on dedicated teams with coaches, ect. Regular dudes don't want that.

Same with above posters avatar Bruce Lee was not born being a Wushu master he dedicated himself to it. Anything you want to be good at takes dedication, and repetition. That aside if you are just looking to improve your skill and have fun, play anything; winning is just a bonus. 
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Never played any MOBA before HotS myself - logging in at least once a day now.
    Just try that and pick a battle against the AI. Not overly challenging but the people in your party will be chill and sometimes you can even joke around with them.
    Harbinger of Fools