Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a game to play, desperately need a game.

SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140
Hey all, same old same old pretty much. I'm currently playing FFXIV but just so sickening to me currently. Everyday its the exact same thing of logging in, doing dailies, doing same old same old day in and day out. Leveling up its a straight grind fest (Fates) for every new class and NO social interaction. Groups are pretty empty of any social interaction usually starting with a *hello* and ending with a *thanks* and to me that\s not really grouping. Endgame is a bore as well while difficult its just so dreary and dull.

So, hoping to find a game preferably with a defined class system that doesn't severely penalize alt's (FFXIV kills the whole idea of alts). Social aspect is a must and I prefer solidly group content over a single player grind fest with the occasional unsocialable *group*. I have a LOT of free time to spend (retired) so need something a bit massive with many things to do. I do NOT look forward to feeling the whole purpose of logging in is to do the same routine everyday in the form of dailies, dailies, dailies. I prefer leveling through quests, exploring, and love dungeon crawls. Non 10 year dates graphics are a must, I'm long over EQ graphics and the like. PvP isn't a big thing for me at all but I do enjoy the sort of PvP that DAoC and Warhammer Online had but PvP otherwise would probably be mostly skipped for me. I enjoy crafting as well which would be a plus but a useful crafting.

Games I've played before and enjoyed EQ classic (come 3rd expac they lost my interest), DAoC back in classic as well, WoW classic and BC-LK were *alright* but downhill and wow now is horrible for me. EQ2 back from classic for a number of expacs but again they lost me with their current direction and age. SW:TOR was very good for awhile but just runs out of content to easy feeling replaying same old and not so socialable. Plenty of other games I have played as well such s Rift, Archage, FFXIV, and many others but either horrible or just never really did it for me.

So the breakdown:
- Promotes Alt characters vs a 1 character does it all
- Large world with plenty of different options along with way along with different areas to level.
- Social aspect is a must. I have no interest in a MMORPG or any MMO that feels for the most part as a single player with the other players happening to be around.
-Groupage- Groupage must be good, pushed as the priority, and rewarding way of doing things.
-Endgame not being based around doing the same crap every day or fall behind such as dailies that consume your soul until your a shriveled hateful corpse.
- Endgame prefered to be about actual *raiding* and not just large group content that feels dull and lifeless.
- Adventure, I want to feel a bit of adventure and like exploring. I dislike my hand being led by a chain all the way to endgame and beyond.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Syanis said:

- Social aspect is a must. I have no interest in a MMORPG or any MMO that feels for the most part as a single player with the other players happening to be around.
    -Groupage- Groupage must be good, pushed as the priority, and rewarding way of doing things.
    Doesn't exist anymore. Companies go out of their way to do the exact opposite

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I went back to TLE servers on Everquest 2 and truly the spirit of grouping and talking is back in a big way. I rolled a monk a class that is a tank and I play healers usually but I loved the wonderful look the class has.

So here I am in caves and I am just killing some gnolls when I get invited and before we know it we are talking and ,chatting while fighting and people get scared when that huge mole slayer comes about and we are running for our lives and people die and no one is upset. No prima donnas or quarrels over gear just plain fun to be had. People talk which is an aspect much lacking these days. 

You want a game where people talk, you need a game that requires you to run everywhere no quick ports and instant groups you need reasons for people to talk to each other I guess. One can say till you're blue in the face that you cannot force socialization but it seems to work when there is a need to talk or may be the type of players on this server are people who enjoy the older game rules.

IMG

I also noticed that guilds are way more relaxed and people are doing heritage quests and when you ask for help in general people actually turn up to help you . This is another aspect of TLE that I love. So come on over to Stromhold or Deathtoll.
    Chamber of Chains
  • treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Syanis said:
    Hey all, same old same old pretty much. I'm currently playing FFXIV but just so sickening to me currently. Everyday its the exact same thing of logging in, doing dailies, doing same old same old day in and day out. Leveling up its a straight grind fest (Fates) for every new class and NO social interaction. Groups are pretty empty of any social interaction usually starting with a *hello* and ending with a *thanks* and to me that\s not really grouping. Endgame is a bore as well while difficult its just so dreary and dull.

So, hoping to find a game preferably with a defined class system that doesn't severely penalize alt's (FFXIV kills the whole idea of alts). Social aspect is a must and I prefer solidly group content over a single player grind fest with the occasional unsocialable *group*. I have a LOT of free time to spend (retired) so need something a bit massive with many things to do. I do NOT look forward to feeling the whole purpose of logging in is to do the same routine everyday in the form of dailies, dailies, dailies. I prefer leveling through quests, exploring, and love dungeon crawls. Non 10 year dates graphics are a must, I'm long over EQ graphics and the like. PvP isn't a big thing for me at all but I do enjoy the sort of PvP that DAoC and Warhammer Online had but PvP otherwise would probably be mostly skipped for me. I enjoy crafting as well which would be a plus but a useful crafting.

Games I've played before and enjoyed EQ classic (come 3rd expac they lost my interest), DAoC back in classic as well, WoW classic and BC-LK were *alright* but downhill and wow now is horrible for me. EQ2 back from classic for a number of expacs but again they lost me with their current direction and age. SW:TOR was very good for awhile but just runs out of content to easy feeling replaying same old and not so socialable. Plenty of other games I have played as well such s Rift, Archage, FFXIV, and many others but either horrible or just never really did it for me.

So the breakdown:
    - Promotes Alt characters vs a 1 character does it all
    - Large world with plenty of different options along with way along with different areas to level.
    -Endgame not being based around doing the same crap every day or fall behind such as dailies that consume your soul until your a shriveled hateful corpse.
    - Endgame prefered to be about actual *raiding* and not just large group content that feels dull and lifeless.
    - Adventure, I want to feel a bit of adventure and like exploring. I dislike my hand being led by a chain all the way to endgame and beyond.
    Guild wars 2 has exactly all you are asking. Tons of group content, in fact the game promotes grouping everytime. It is free now and getting an expansion on october which will introduce raiding. Every 2 weeks or monthly they update the game with events, group content and new things to do all related to the "living story" of the game. The levelling process to max level is great, and you can level different characters and never do the same areas (the world is huge). Alts are great because each class is totally different and you can level them doing quests, doing pvp, doing world versus world pvp, or using items that grant 1 level gained in pvp for quick levelling of alts. 

At endgame, you can do dungeons to get exotic gear, do fractals (harder random dungeons that have its own progression from 1 to 50) to get ascended gear (a bit better than exotic) , do guild missions (to get ascended gear too), do public events to earn money and mats to craft legendary weapons, do open world bosses, do living story quests and events each update to earn the achievementa, the new gear looks and money etc. So much to do you will be overwhelmed at max level. And soon, raids to ger legendary armor 

oh, and no monthly fee
  • User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Don't see AoC in your list of played games so I'll make a case for it:

Except for a lack of groups while levelling (not total lack, but you'll level up mostly on your own), I would recommend Age of Conan. There are (these days, improved since launch) different zones to level up in for different characters.

The end game is (almost) all about the group content - normal dungeons and low-tier raids (for which groups are advertised in chat) for fresh lvl 80s, then higher tier raids and "hardmode" dungeons as the next step.

Different classes have different roles to fill in dungeons and raids, playing them with another class is a different experience. Dungeons and raids are plentiful, and varied, encounters intelligent and interesting. The community is friendly and it's easy to get into a guild that does (high level) group content regularly that allows you to join when you are available.

Can be played for free to level cap and you're allowed to enter old world (~vanilla) dungeons and some raids for free but to get to higher raid tiers and the coolest dungeons you need to both purchase the expansion pack AND run a subscription.

I'd recommend looking at a few youtube videos from the dungeons and raids to see if they look like what you're after and maybe giving the free part of the game a swing - if it is fun, then buy the expansion and subscribe.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Star wars Galaxies EMU. Has about 1500 players, but there is always some one to play with.
  • MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Try Wildstar, select "Explorer" path
  • RVallantRVallant Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I do remember EQ2 being very friendly every time I've played it, but the gameplay itself and the fact that I'd rather play in order and not skip ahead to the current 'game' means it just isn't viable for me, so I don't know if you'd have the same issue.
  • SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140
    I played EQ2 from release and for a number of expacs. I tried going back a couple of times a year ago but for the most part it was fairly dead and just couldn't get into it. EQ2 was great though in its time and would love another EQ3 following the same path of EQ classic and EQ2 classic. However it seems like EQNext is more and more like vaporware and its going a whole different direction as well.

I played AoC at release and beta and utterly hated it. I've heard from some that it was fixed at a point but I still dislike the leveling up solo thing.

I never really gave GW2 a real try but a lot of the things I didn't like the sound of such as the picking 5 skills or whatever it was and that's what you had sort of thing. I may take a look at a few gameplay video's thou to give it another look.

I can't go playing a game that is pretty well dead other then a certain time of day based on the US clock. I'm living in SE Asia and need something that has activity when most of the US is asleep or working.

I was in Wildstars beta as well but really didn't like there combat system and it felt a bit to led by the hand as well.

I do with I tried SWG when it was in its prime though but far to late for that by years and years.
    edited September 2015
    The TLE (Time Limited Expansion Server) Stormhold and Deathtoll in EQ2 is not dead , in fact it is far too busy with even like 11 instances of Frostfang sea. Go take a look at those two new servers. They launched in July I think you're talking about the older servers.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    So why don't you go play Daybreaks new EQ2 TLS it even has the old totorial island with the ship.

• ShakklesShakkles Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Skip to like 6:40
    edited September 2015
    So why don't you go play Daybreaks new EQ2 TLS it even has the old tutorial island with the ship.
    Yes ,yes ship is back and Captain Varloss with it.

Many of the general comments amid the stream of words that are in that channel now that so many are taking this somewhat altered trip down memory game is how much they missed a game like this. Even with all its flaws and having not actually launched these servers really 'vanilla like' since it would have been far too much work to remove every expansion craft (adornment books) class (beastlord and channeler)  loot  or race ,the game still has some of the old magic so many long for and have found. .

Try it OP do not dismiss it out of hand you might find what you're looking for as others have. 
    Chamber of Chains