Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOBA For a Wimpy First-Timer

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I'm interested to see what the MOBA fuss is about, but I'm put off by what I've heard about how unkind the player bases can be.  I'm also kinda old and slow and uncoordinated.  Out of Heroes of the Storm, DOTA 2, and Smite, which would probably be the best for me?  Don't some of the MOBA's now have mechanics to discourage toxic and abusive chat?

Thanks!

Comments

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    I never could get into DOTA2 and LoL. Haven't played enough HotS to have an opinion really, but what little I've played wasn't so bad.

I do love me some Smite and Awesomenauts however.
  • TemperHSTemperHS Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Heroes or Smite would be the best bet, easy to pick up and learn each.

DOTA 2 is much more complicated than either of those two.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    "Slow and uncoordinated" - makes me wonder why do you want to join PVP game? Wouldn't be co-op where your contribution could  have more weight be better option?

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Gdemami said:
    "Slow and uncoordinated" - makes me wonder why do you want to join PVP game? Wouldn't be co-op where your contribution could  have more weight be better option?

I haven't tried a MOBA before, so I don't know how much of a hindrance this would be.  Are they extremely fast-paced and twitchy?

Also, I guess I totally forgot about League of Legends...
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Heros is by far the best choice.  No last-hitting and no item progression. It is the most n00b friendly MOBA on the market.
    Are the facts that I'm slow and uncoordinated going to kill it for me?
  • HighestHandHighestHand Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Don't choose Dota or LOL because they will curse you out. Play Smite or HOTS. Much shorter and less time with toxic people!
    Ok, thanks for all the help.

How is the community in HotS?
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    edited September 2015
    LoL has the most toxic community.DOTA 2 is not good for new players, but if i were you, i would play HOTS and tehn go to LOL and when you know MOBAs switch to DOTA 2 and play that...:D

mmorpg junkie since 1999

What about the steps that some developers are taking to control chat?  Are those futile?
  • BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited September 2015
    Try VainGlory for mobile devices.  I always thought I wouldn't like MOBAs, but I tried the game on a whim and I found I really like it.  After playing VG, I can see myself playing LoL, DotS, HotS, all that good stuff.
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Blaedus said:
    Try VainGlory for mobile devices.  I always thought I wouldn't like MOBAs, but I tried the game on a whim and I found I really like it.  After playing VG, I can see myself playing LoL, DotS, HotS, all that good stuff.
    I couldn't play dota or lol. I started with smite (awesome game). However my schedule prevents me now to play it.
    I started Vainglory in July and it's very addictive. Good gameplay despite just 3 skills (including an ultimate usually on cooldown).

I tried then Hots just to find it really unbablanced and went back quickly to Vainglory.

So I agree with Blaedus : if you have an android or IOS device try Vainglory.
  • Kenshin2541Kenshin2541 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I've played HotS, DotA, HoN, SMITE, and LoL.. I keep going back to lol. The player base can be mean, but thats in any moba. LoL does have a pretty decent system to weed out toxicity, and over the years, in my games, i've noticed chat and games be less and less toxic. These kind of games are definitely more fun with friends but I'd say lol gives you the best of both worlds with the CO-OP vs AI options, and their level system. You have 30 levels to learn up parts of the game before your truly ready for the game. If your looking for a game to just be super noob friendly, go with Heroes of the Stom. HotS.But if your looking into a game you can play competitively down the road, give League a try. Its really not as bad as people are making it out to be. I've been in bronze and i've climbed the ladder. (Currently a diamond player in their ranking system).
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Gdemami said:

I haven't tried a MOBA before, so I don't know how much of a hindrance this would be.  Are they extremely fast-paced and twitchy?

Not necessarily. You will be fine. Also just because you are slow and uncordinated now doesn't mean you can't improve. Strategy and better builds are much more valuable. Of course there is a lot to controlling your hero but is no where near as fast paced or twitchy as shooters. 

I am sure that most people would recommend you go and play HOTS, but I would strongly recommend DOTA2. Remember there's no point in picking a MOBA just because it is seen as easier to pick up. You should play the MOBA that's most fun to you. Trust me learning how to play a MOBA takes a while, especially in terms of purely getting enough knowledge about the game to play it to an ok level. No point in playing something like LoL and then moving to DOTA2, just go for the best :) All 3 major MOBAs are wildly different.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

The issue isn't a pace or twitchiness. The point is, MOBAs are a team PVP game and your performance or the lack of, will hurt your team.

It does not really matter what MOBA you pick, there are somewhat 2 models tho:

1) The old one, grindy. There is a large focus on resource gathering - DOTA(2), Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends.
    2) The new one, more actiony. Resources are often shared and less of importance, the focus is rather on map objectives and engaging other team - Heroes of the Storm, Smite, Strife, Shards of War, etc.

If someone tells you that 1) type of MOBAs are more "difficult to learn" or w/e, they are just talking from high horse position. 

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Gdemami said:

The issue isn't a pace or twitchiness. The point is, MOBAs are a team PVP game and your performance or the lack of, will hurt your team.

It does not really matter what MOBA you pick, there are somewhat 2 models tho:

1) The old one, grindy. There is a large focus on resource gathering - DOTA(2), Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends.
    2) The new one, more actiony. Resources are often shared and less of importance, the focus is rather on map objectives and engaging other team - Heroes of the Storm, Smite, Strife, Shards of War, etc.

If someone tells you that 1) type of MOBAs are more "difficult to learn" or w/e, they are just talking from high horse position. 

Strife belongs with old grindy #1's bcuz 3 lane/last hit/45min-1hr matches/toxicity
    edited September 2015
    BruceYee said:
    Strife belongs with old grindy #1's bcuz 3 lane/last hit/45min-1hr matches/toxicity
    No.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Unless frustration gives you a feeling of euphoria, or feeling completely incompetent is a head rush,  I would suggest just staying far far away.

In any case you will probably figure this out in the first hour.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Play LoL first, HotS is missing a lot of things that you'll need to transition to other MOBA's. If you start with LoL, you'll have a decent foundation that will translate to any other MOBA and will at least provide a base understanding for you to build on in DotA2.

If you play HotS first, any other MOBA you play will seem foreign.
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Maybe it's best to throw yourself at the deep end of the pool and go with Dota 2. That's what I did and I am happy that I decided not to waste my time on any other MOBA game, as there is enough to learn in Dota 2 alone.

In Dota 2 there are certain heroes which are suitable for slow and uncoordinated players.

* Techies, the goblin squad who place mines around the map

* Treant Protector, really great for slow and uncoordinated player, heals allies across the map, places sentry things on trees to support team.

* Dark Seer, no need for much coordination, just stay behind and place spikes on others.

* Venomancer can be played slowly by focusing on placing the poison turrets.

* Gyrocopter, suitable for a slow player with focus on launching missiles.

* Nature's Prophet can work alone without coordination with others, teleport alone across the map to summon a small army of walking trees and teleport out.

* Shadow Shaman, can be useful even in the hands of slow and uncoordinate player just for his ability to summon a hoard of fire-spitting cobra wards

* Warlock, a slow and uncoordinated player can focus on summoning the demons.

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The more you play the better you get at these kind of games, but the question is will the player base let you?.....MOBAs are known to have some very rude people due to the nature of the competitive games.
  • BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    edited September 2015
    If you like Diablo style play Dota or Lol if you liked pvping in Wow or any other 3rd person views play smite.
    Post edited by Bellomo on
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548
    I've played them all and I like LoL the best.  
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    The more you play the better you get at these kind of games, but the question is will the player base let you?.....MOBAs are known to have some very rude people due to the nature of the competitive games.
    How is playing more going to make him faster and more coordinated?

Sure you can improve to a point, with knowledge, but when it comes down to the crunch against some 18 year old with a competitive gaming rig, you will get owned.

Over and over and over.

Until you quit.   But hey maybe it will be fun for you, up to that point.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Mensur said:
    LoL has the most toxic community.DOTA 2 is not good for new players, but if i were you, i would play HOTS and tehn go to LOL and when you know MOBAs switch to DOTA 2 and play that...:D
    Horrible advice. If he "should" ultimtely play DOTA then he should start with DOTA. LOL will not teach you how to play DOTA.

My MOBA experience started with trying DOTA first. I "randomed" and got a faceless void and went mid and fed hard. It was a horrible experience then I left. Later I picked LoL and played that. But that game got booring real quick. I don't know what's it about LoL but it's a hollow boring game when I played it. 

Then I played Dota 2 and I loved it. How much did my LoL experience help me? Not a lot. It was if anything hindering as you're coming with the wrong mindset.

Basically there is no point in investing time to play HOTS and LOL just to get onto playing DOTA. If his ultimate goal is to play DOTA, he should start with that game. Everything else is just too long winded and is a waste of time. LOL will not teach you how to be good at DOTA. There is no real laning in LoL, farmking is a joke, positioning is not so severely punished etc.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.