Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How I learned to stop worrying and love the Trove

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
Lets face it , for many of MMO veterans the situation is not really peachy.

We have waited for that "next gen" mmo for years. But instead of getting it we have seen MMO genre topple down on our heads burdened by Copy WoW/EQ TM gameplay. We have forgot what MMOs used to be like, now playing mini emulation of quest based RPGs with watered down quests ( in order to spread content as much as possible ) and constant instancing and minimizing Massive part of MMO gameplay. To make things even worse the MMO genre is dying with AA companies starting to avoid it as plague.

Its drove me nuts. And i tried everything

Only to find something in least expected place... A mini MMO made as a side project by team of 12 people.

TROVE

Why should you be excited about it ?

1. Its sandbox - No quests , no direction
2. It has DIablo like random loot
3. Twich skill based combat
4. The game is love letter to Arcade/Early console classic - did you like "Super Adventure Box" you will love this
5. Build your own worlds , create dungeons , weapons - it can be added to the game
6. The game is growing and becoming a sleeper hit - I dont know for you but I like to play games that are thriving instead of dying
7. The team is super responsive and plans many many new things added to the game.
8. Its nothing like WOW

So, for what its worth try it. Its silly and not that big - but damn its refreshing !

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    it is a nice little game that everyone should try at least once.  @Lobotomist :  with this thread title, I am thinking you are slim pickens riding that nuke!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Tried it once, and that was all I needed to see.  Too goofy and the blocky style isn't for me.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    This game is an absolute blast! The combat is simple but feels great (Candy Barb is a blast, and I usually hate melee combat) and I'm a huge sucker for randomized loot. Not to mention all the building/crafting/collecting/etc.

Lancer drops in 3 hours after maintenance. Pumped!
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    How's Trove for quick, burst game sessions?
    -Chuckles
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I don't get it.  Still.

Every time I enter a dungeon, there's someone in there already ransacking it.  I'm not quite sure where to go because it's taken it's sandbox a bit to heart.

Just one of those games.

And the graphics.  Block style is a thing, I get it, but .. I dunno...
  • Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Being a Trion game killed it for me,tested in beta and was somewhat fun but seeing how this publisher only care about money and sooner or later will ruin also Trove I really don't feel to put time and money on the game.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Ikeda said:
    I don't get it.  Still.

Every time I enter a dungeon, there's someone in there already ransacking it.  I'm not quite sure where to go because it's taken it's sandbox a bit to heart.

Just one of those games.

And the graphics.  Block style is a thing, I get it, but .. I dunno...
    I can tolerate Runescape graphics, even Shining Force.

But I just cannot tolerate these block games.  I think Trove looks a bit better than Minecraft, but that isn't saying much.

I don't know what it is about them, but they just seem to creep me out.    Like a bad dream.

Oh well, we can't all like the same things, glad you are enjoying it.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    That's actually one of it's good features.  You can do your adventuring very quickly and quit if you want.

I self identify as a monkey.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Tried it in Beta and just don't like the style of these Minecraft games. I'm sure Trove has made improvements since then but it is just the genre for me.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    mgilbrtsn said:
    That's actually one of it's good features.  You can do your adventuring very quickly and quit if you want.
    This is exactly the reason i like it. Im a working guy and dad , and have no time to waste. But sometime i just want to get that quick fix.

Trove is perfect for that. In seconds you are doing thing that is progressing you.
    No stupid fetch quests.

And you dont need to fight either. You can craft , mine , or just build your world/house ....

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    mgilbrtsn said:
    This is exactly the reason i like it. Im a working guy and dad , and have no time to waste. But sometime i just want to get that quick fix.

Trove is perfect for that. In seconds you are doing thing that is progressing you.
    No stupid fetch quests.

And you dont need to fight either. You can craft , mine , or just build your world/house ....
    That's what I was hoping for. My brain still craves depth but my world is unforgiving in the time department for the same reasons you've listed. No reason not to give it a shot.

Thanks for the info. Commencing download.  =)
    -Chuckles
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    When do you get to build your own world?  Because my experience is limited to a couple of different color portals where enemies get harder, then I place my "house" and try to find somewhere where others aren't grinding.
  • BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Trove - the one game I keep coming back to. Dragons/Challenges sort of ruined the game, but a new patch goes live today that addresses the issues I had with them. I am super excited. Leaving work to play on my lunch break in 20 minutes. ^_^

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     I like giving games a fair shot at being something I might enjoy. Even with everything that happened with Archeage, which sucked, and still leave me feeling a bit salty. I have to say Trove is a blast, for what it is. The only thing I'll say about the graphics are it's a voxel game, if you are only looking to play games with cutting edge engines, you probably won't like it. For someone like me though, I look at games by the type of play I can get out of it, games are a pastime, and I treat at them as such.

Trove is a game I can jump in for any where from 10 minutes, all the way to a couple hours on weekends just doing whatever. Some friends and I have a club world we work on sometimes, but we don't take it very serious, and it makes for a good time. Trion or not, I haven't found any reasons to really dislike the game as long as it's not taken too seriously. I play trove like I play mobas, and fps titles, I play them when I feel like I've played too much GW2, or FFXIV for one week, and want something different.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Trove is too simple... I gave it a fair chance. It was fun. But its not deep like the kind of sandbox I want. I don't like how you enter a generated world through a lobby. I don't mind lack of direction, but I get so bored. It's not like sandboxes I used to play where there was stuff to do. In this game its exceptionally repetitive. I build some crazy stuff and it was fun. 

Overall, I think Trove sits exacly where it should be. Not over or underrated. Though some on this forum over rate it, I don't feel that's the general consensus. 
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    madazz said:
    Trove is too simple... I gave it a fair chance. It was fun. But its not deep like the kind of sandbox I want. I don't like how you enter a generated world through a lobby. I don't mind lack of direction, but I get so bored. It's not like sandboxes I used to play where there was stuff to do. In this game its exceptionally repetitive. I build some crazy stuff and it was fun. 

Overall, I think Trove sits exacly where it should be. Not over or underrated. Though some on this forum over rate it, I don't feel that's the general consensus. 
      Honestly I think that's what makes it a great game, I would be a little perplexed if a voxel game with the size of objects it uses, actually tried to be "serious, and deep".  I think it makes for a pretty good time sink, for a busy person, looking for a silly fun game that allows them to be creative.  It's also pretty good for younger players, aside from the sometimes toxic steam chat you get in most free to play games.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Awesome title :awesome: and your profile pic has the mad scientist vibe too.
    (but I think even the finest ladies gathered will be a bit "blocky" in Trove :lol: )
  • SolemberSolember Member CommonPosts: 2
    This is a fun game if you like in depth games. It is fun if you like casual games. The reason is that there is no rage inducing grind motivation. You won't get left in the dust for being a casual player.