Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PROJECT:GORGON DISCUSSION

Comments

• KyperbeltKyperbelt Member CommonPosts: 8
    Looks like everything got re added? found a lot of old topics that were gone for a second.
  • thesightlessthesightless Member CommonPosts: 9
    Playing this. really enjoying it. feel like i am questing for something that is not known. having to think. having to search. just exploring. the skills are great. all give insight one way or another! 
    really hope these folks get $$$$$$$

even if they dont, i can play and enjoy this game now.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Let us know what you think when you're stuck as a cow, pig, or spider.....
  • krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Its a very Fun game to play, it doesn't  "hold your hand" like a lot of other games do. In Project Gorgon, you have to take notes < or have a great memory > about in game information as you go. So you can know where to go, who to see, where they might be, etc.....  

I have played a lot in this pre alpha testing time over the last 5 months < its been out in its continuous updating form for longer >  The Dev really wants feed back, both positive and negative.  I am hopeful they get more funding and develop this into a really good looking game, game mechanics and over all game content design is Amazing compared to almost any other game. If you loved EQ 1, you will LOVE this game!
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    I'm not familiar with this but a very quick look has me a bit intrigued.

A question to start off with, based on NOT wanting EQ like power gaps (separates content too much).
    What are the stats and how much do they go up? Particularly Hit Points.

Once upon a time....

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    If you are a cow, pig or spider, it's because you got cursed (cow), or willingly drank pig or spider juice. In all 3 cases, there is a way to get rid of it if you want to.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    What other game can you be a cow and have other players milk you.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538

A question to start off with, based on NOT wanting EQ like power gaps (separates content too much).
    Hit points don't go up dramatically. The way it works is you use 2 combat skill lines at any given time and your hit points and power pool are based on your level in those skills. So if you are level 60+ in both of them, your hit points will be somewhere between 300 and 400. But if you were to change your setup to two skills that are only level 20, you might only have 200 hp. 

You have 4 pools: Armor, HP, Power and Metabolism. Armor is your first line of defense, but most attacks will do damage to both armor and hp. Some attacks will do target armor specifically while others will bypass armor and do direct health damage. Power is obviously what you need to use your abilities. Metabolism is the limiting factor on potions/food buffs. Whereas other games might put a cooldown on potions, PG lets you use as many as you want so long as you have enough metabolism left. Each potion you drink or food/beverage you consume costs metabolism and it regens slowly.

Gear has a big impact on your character. Gear has mods and each mod will affect a certain skill line and ability. For instance, the sword skill line has an ability called Precision Pierce. A mod on a helm might give +50 damage to Precision Pierce. A single piece of gear may be modded for 1 to 3 skill lines. My character uses Sword and Mentalism. A breastplate might require 50 sword and mentalism and have mods for abilities in both skill lines. Or it might only require sword and only have sword mods.

There are 3 bars, one for each of your active combat skill lines and a side bar for extraneous skills like Dig Deep, which regens power, Armor Patch, which regens armor, and First Aid, which regens HP. You can switch between combat skill lines at any time out of combat. So you can go from sword/mentalism to hammer/battle chemistry. There are some limits of course. You can't use the cow abilities if you aren't a cow. Also, some skill lines are easy to get, and some are not. For example, to become an ice mage, you first have to get to level 25 in fire mage and then complete a quest for a certain NPC and gain enough favor with that NPC so she will teach you ice magic.

The game is grindy, but in a good way, as everything is about growing your character. It's free to play right now, so now is the time to try it out. At some point it will be put on Steam and then you'll have to buy it.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Arkade99 said:

Hit points don't go up dramatically. The way it works is you use 2 combat skill lines at any given time and your hit points and power pool are based on your level in those skills. So if you are level 60+ in both of them, your hit points will be somewhere between 300 and 400. But if you were to change your setup to two skills that are only level 20, you might only have 200 hp. 

You have 4 pools: Armor, HP, Power and Metabolism. Armor is your first line of defense, but most attacks will do damage to both armor and hp. Some attacks will do target armor specifically while others will bypass armor and do direct health damage. Power is obviously what you need to use your abilities. Metabolism is the limiting factor on potions/food buffs. Whereas other games might put a cooldown on potions, PG lets you use as many as you want so long as you have enough metabolism left. Each potion you drink or food/beverage you consume costs metabolism and it regens slowly.

Gear has a big impact on your character. Gear has mods and each mod will affect a certain skill line and ability. For instance, the sword skill line has an ability called Precision Pierce. A mod on a helm might give +50 damage to Precision Pierce. A single piece of gear may be modded for 1 to 3 skill lines. My character uses Sword and Mentalism. A breastplate might require 50 sword and mentalism and have mods for abilities in both skill lines. Or it might only require sword and only have sword mods.

There are 3 bars, one for each of your active combat skill lines and a side bar for extraneous skills like Dig Deep, which regens power, Armor Patch, which regens armor, and First Aid, which regens HP. You can switch between combat skill lines at any time out of combat. So you can go from sword/mentalism to hammer/battle chemistry. There are some limits of course. You can't use the cow abilities if you aren't a cow. Also, some skill lines are easy to get, and some are not. For example, to become an ice mage, you first have to get to level 25 in fire mage and then complete a quest for a certain NPC and gain enough favor with that NPC so she will teach you ice magic.

The game is grindy, but in a good way, as everything is about growing your character. It's free to play right now, so now is the time to try it out. At some point it will be put on Steam and then you'll have to buy it.
    Thanks for the reply.
    If the topic comes up over there, this seems a little over complicated and even strange in my opinion.
    Some of it does sound good though. I like the idea of skills to adjust things like that. I don't like changing things out like that though. And I'd much prefer a set number on HPs, adjusted by skills like Dodge or stats like Constitution.
    So that seems over the top on being different. But with potential if they "get real" (just a term to make a point).
    I think this "metamorphosis" sort of thing is not good for identity.

I'll probably check it out later to see where they have gone with it. I do love the idea of a Sandbox adventure.

Once upon a time....

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Played this game for about 50hours now and I really feel like back in 2000 gameplay wise as well as graphically. 
    But I really miss full-loot in this game.
    This game with full-loot PvP would be Meridian 2.0 for me.

As this is not going to happen, I'm not seeing myself playing it in the future.

But it is definitely a worth a try for everyone interested in old school PvE experience.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    weirdly i think i was a graphics junkie 
    i recall wanting better graphics for years .
    however,recently i went back to EQ1 and EQ2 for the new servers and let me say this  for the first few hours i did notice the graphics esp.in eq1 and physically turned my tummy,
    when i got used to it however i had a blast and only left because of the state of the end game(guild rushing at odd hours to kill a  boss noooo ty!).
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Really not sure why people want pvp shoved into every fantasy game, I mean its freakin wizards and knights. Imo either a game is pvp focused right off or it shouldnt have it at all. Also wizards! nothing says NOT pvp like fireballs and lightning.

If you want pvp go play COD.
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    edited September 2015
    Xeno.phon said:
    Really not sure why people want pvp shoved into every fantasy game, I mean its freakin wizards and knights. Imo either a game is pvp focused right off or it shouldnt have it at all. Also wizards! nothing says NOT pvp like fireballs and lightning.

If you want pvp go play COD.
    I can only speak for myself, but coming from P&P MMO's are somewhat a simulation of a fantasy world for me.
    And that means I should be able to do nearly anything that can come into my mind and can be done within the possibilities of my character.

I'm also for harsh consequences for anything so it doesn't become a fragfest.
    Chronicles of Elyria seems to go a good way with this as it gives you penalties for killing people. We'll have to see how it turns out in 3-5 years when this game releases.

So in the end, PvP should be possible but not the main focus. And attacking someone without a good reason should punished. Just as it would be in a real fantasy world.

It's also very annoying for me that people can grief you (kill mobs, train mobs, insulting,....) and you can do nothing.

As for the fact that wizards have fireballs and other things. 
    In a fantasy world fighters can stand toe to toe with a dragon that would normally rip them apart within seconds so it's not only wizards who are really mighty in a fantasy game.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    I played Project 1999 for years. For those that don't know it's a game that emulates the 1999 version of Everquest.

Keeping that in mind let me tell you all Project Gorgon's graphics are horrendous. That includes every animation, every spell effect, every monster.......everything. It is simply unacceptable when a 2015 game in development has worst animations then the 1999 Everquest. Every action your character takes feels extremely clunky as well. You can fanboi it on the forums all you want but this fact will NEVER be overlooked by 99% of gamers.

So instead of trying to hype a game that clearly needs to get it's shit together, be rational and realize how below par Project Gorgon is. When the visuals aren't even good enough for a p99 player you know something is very wrong.

You do realize the game is created by a team made up of 2 people don't you. You can't expect the game to be up to par with games made with teams of hundreds or even thousands.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    JamesP said:
    I played Project 1999 for years. For those that don't know it's a game that emulates the 1999 version of Everquest.

Keeping that in mind let me tell you all Project Gorgon's graphics are horrendous. That includes every animation, every spell effect, every monster.......everything. It is simply unacceptable when a 2015 game in development has worst animations then the 1999 Everquest. Every action your character takes feels extremely clunky as well. You can fanboi it on the forums all you want but this fact will NEVER be overlooked by 99% of gamers.

So instead of trying to hype a game that clearly needs to get it's shit together, be rational and realize how below par Project Gorgon is. When the visuals aren't even good enough for a p99 player you know something is very wrong.

You do realize the game is created by a team made up of 2 people don't you. You can't expect the game to be up to par with games made with teams of hundreds or even thousands.
    It's irrelevant how big the team is.
    It's a product in a certain category, thus it will be compared to other products of that category.

It's not the customer's fault if the devs don't have enough budget for a bigger team or if they go public and start taking money too early (before the final visual style is finalized and applied).
    That's on the devs and I am sure they have thought about it, decided to take this route and fully expect negative comments in the process. (they seem to have enough experience in this case to not be delusional and know to use all feedback as just that, feedback to improve the product.)
    If you go public, you are up for comparisons. That's just how it is. 

• thesightlessthesightless Member CommonPosts: 9

this made me HUNT and DESIRE to find a cure. and with no public crap, i HAD to play the game to figure out the cure.

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS. but im 35 and i am tired of the flashier games.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Fantastic game.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I played this heavy for about a year and stopped.  Love the concept but the combat and graphics are not great.  Considering this is the work of basiclaly one guy with someone helping , I don't have high hopes for a fully realized world.  Games like this just need a huge team behind it and I doubt he has the time/resources to really do much more. I looked at what has been added since I stopped playing and it didn't seem like much has changed.

Definitely worth a shot and I did like it when I played, but I probably will not be coming back.   
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I really want to like this game; it purports to have everything I fled modern mmos to find. Yet something about it rubs me wrong.

The combat is the same as any modern MMO; grab mob, spam buttons, watch for opportunity to heal, and loot. 

At least, the first few levels solo are that way.
  • bloobersbloobers Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Let's put one thing straight from the beginning - I play MMOs since 1999, that doesn't make me a genius at all, but a fairly experienced player in this genre.

About 2 weeks ago, I stumbled across this title. I am bored, am sick of pledging and totally sick of cash shops.

Now you all may argue, the graphics are outdated and lame - However, looking at the funding they had and what they are trying to accomplish, it is a great game:

1. No cash shop, no pay to win. All have to go through the same tasks and challenges
    2. No levels but skills, lots of skills, fun skills
    3. If you don't like the standard races, then play in animal form and they come with their own skillset
    4. Death means actually travelling to safe spot or town, nice idea
    5. Sophisticated trade skill system
    6. You need to build up favor in order to get benefits from Vendor/Trainer NPC, means what? Do quests to open shop, do more quests to get better purchase rates, do favors to get consignment and storage. Vendors do not all unlimited gold - they have a certain amount per week for your items
    7. Grouping is strong encouraged
    8. Travelling got its meaning back
    9. Lovely idea of playing instruments in groups and their benefit
    10. Straightforward zone layout
    11. Puzzles
    12. Helping community, you need to talk to get something. You need to be nice and help to get help in return
    13. Well thought through farming processes
    14. and so on....

After all, what is a beautiful world and state of the art graphic useful, when don't feel immersed?

Give it a try and see for yourself.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Just started playing this game seriously last night. And I couldn't stop! I don't even mind the graphics it's just such a neat game.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    I just started last night as well and it's awesome. They graphics will be getting an update before launch and characters from alpha (which this is right now) will not be wiped upon release (although I think you lose all of your items, you just keep your skills). Super awesome community and some very innovative systems in place here. 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• Mister_JCMister_JC Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Tried the game last year and it was really good. Graphics weren't at the top, but to me graphics never should be in these kind of games.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Why does this not have its own forum?  Anyways.  The game shocked me with how good it is so far.  Graphics aren't great, but the features and stuff that it has in it already.  Pretty refreshing.

Makes no sense to me why some games have forums and others don't. Games like Asheron's call that still have forums but are not active at all. Yet this game that is way more active has no forums? Silly.
    yeah.  Not that I think there's a bias or anything.  Perhaps it just hasn't hit their radar.
    This is site if a bit of a stickler when it comes to fully backing games that haven't solid release dates or exist outside of early alpha states.

I imagine once this game hits Steam MMORPG.com may put more stock behind supporting this game. That said I think this game realistically will be one that remains in at least beta development long after payment barriers are in place. Just seems to be the the reality behind very independent development with small teams.

My interest is piqued because I was a huge AC fan. It was my first mmo. I bought the game right when it hit stores and that release date was honestly rather meaningless outside of it starting income for the company. The game changed dramatically and often well after release so it would be more honest if they had simply called it paid beta instead of release.

You stay sassy!

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    take away the  poor graphics and this game made by one man and  some help here and there is better then some games made by a team of 20-30.
    shows you that the passion of one man worth more then  20 people who careless as long as they get paid.
    sadly mmorpg without the passion are rubbish