Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Share your feelings with the Devs here

danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
edited September 2015 in Final Fantasy XIV
If you're interested in sharing your opinions on the issue or letting the dev team know, you could take this survey and share it around.  I know a lot of people been complaining as of late about FFXIV and what not however here is a way to send the Devs Feedback.

Here is the info they collected so far.  

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited September 2015
    Everyone wants RDM but don't realize they're not going to be the OP jack of all trades that they were in ffxi lol!
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    edited September 2015
    danwest58 said:
    If you're interested in sharing your opinions on the issue or letting the dev team know, you could take this survey and share it around.  I know a lot of people been complaining as of late about FFXIV and what not however here is a way to send the Devs Feedback.

So you aren't trolling me right danwest, I don't think its april fools. When I look at the additional comments I swear to god its 90% of the shit I've been complaining about, its a shame that they wont listen to us until the JP playerbase makes the same complaints. I am really surprised at the numbers for fluff and vanity, its seems they are a minority as I thought but trying to base this on the entire community is rather moronic still. Poor PUP is so far on the bottom of the list but it seems people want the good old BLU! I was very surprised about the outcry for Dancer but that would really be a cool hybrid class and would get me into healing finally. When I looked a the possible jobs list I really feel like SE trolled the troll of all time.The very idea that they gave us these classes with HW when jobs like Red Mage, Necromancer or MAGE KNIGHT makes me feel like we really got the short end of the stick.

Overall even with the small amount of current votes everything sounds about right and the extra comments section is practically spot on. The comment that stood out for me was the needs more midcore because what we have currently is hardcore and faceroll, no real meat in the middle. So this is a OFFICIAL survey by SE Themselves?
    Everyone wants RDM but don't realize they're not going to be the OP jack of all trades that they were in ffxi lol!
    Depends on how they implement the abilities, remember Yoshi likes BARANCE! and each class HAS to have have the same amount of abilities. That itself would make the class very restrictive so I wouldn't worry much about balance.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This isn't an official survey. Devs, like mentioned earlier, will only listen to the JP playerbase really since they have more players there vs the western market. Why do you think they always break the news first there before here? As much as I would love this game to just be FFXI (pre-abyssea) with 14's graphics, it wont happen. And most developmental decisions or mess-ups they usually attribute to the servers. To be fair though, some choices they can't blame the devs since most seem like business decisions. Gotta remember that Yoshida has a boss too.
    Albatroes said:
    This isn't an official survey. Devs, like mentioned earlier, will only listen to the JP playerbase really since they have more players there vs the western market. Why do you think they always break the news first there before here? As much as I would love this game to just be FFXI (pre-abyssea) with 14's graphics, it wont happen. And most developmental decisions or mess-ups they usually attribute to the servers. To be fair though, some choices they can't blame the devs since most seem like business decisions. Gotta remember that Yoshida has a boss too.
    Yeah I woke up to the survey with joy and glee but the bottom line is we aren't JP so we don't matter. We can only silently hope that JP's feel mutually the same as us and then things may change for the better.
    Hahahaha, I was reading the comment section and someone called HW Heavensbored omg I'm dying!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Exactly and imo the entire design of classes will never let any class feel very exciting.It is one of the reasons i got bored.It really didn't matter what class i tired they always felt the same and very limited.

The difference is better and more flexible abilities in FFXI as well as spike damage.I didn't even stick around for the Ninja but i assume no shadows either?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited September 2015
    Wizardry said:
    Exactly and imo the entire design of classes will never let any class feel very exciting.It is one of the reasons i got bored.It really didn't matter what class i tired they always felt the same and very limited.

The difference is better and more flexible abilities in FFXI as well as spike damage.I didn't even stick around for the Ninja but i assume no shadows either?
    Not a tanking class so no, its the full DPS class it should of been in FFXI. I find the Melee DPS classes at least a little busier than say WAR or DRG or MNK in FFXI but that being said I cant entirely say I disagree with you. To be honest playing a TPWS class in FFXI felt the same way minus less buttons to press. At first I thought the weaving of OCD and GCD abilities made things interesting but from a different perspective its sequential button mashing (the opener) then just maintaining whatever your classes "gimmick" is. 

So rather than busier I guess its really just makes you feel like more is going on by giving you more buttons to press. Though this can vary from class to class, I hear MCN and BRD are pretty fun to play because its proc based. While you steer from RNG classes in a asian MMO they offer a more simon says/whack a mole approach so it at least varies up things to make them potentially more interesting?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

I honestly would have been happy with a bug-free (ish, of course) and optimized ffxiv 1.0.  I realize I'm in the VAST minority though.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    danwest58 said:

So you aren't trolling me right danwest, I don't think its april fools. When I look at the additional comments I swear to god its 90% of the shit I've been complaining about, its a shame that they wont listen to us until the JP playerbase makes the same complaints. I am really surprised at the numbers for fluff and vanity, its seems they are a minority as I thought but trying to base this on the entire community is rather moronic still. Poor PUP is so far on the bottom of the list but it seems people want the good old BLU! I was very surprised about the outcry for Dancer but that would really be a cool hybrid class and would get me into healing finally. When I looked a the possible jobs list I really feel like SE trolled the troll of all time.The very idea that they gave us these classes with HW when jobs like Red Mage, Necromancer or MAGE KNIGHT makes me feel like we really got the short end of the stick.

Overall even with the small amount of current votes everything sounds about right and the extra comments section is practically spot on. The comment that stood out for me was the needs more midcore because what we have currently is hardcore and faceroll, no real meat in the middle. So this is a OFFICIAL survey by SE Themselves?
    Not trying to troll you.  It was up on Facebook and Redditt forums today.  I say share your info here on this survey and let see what the devs do.  I personally put in for more dungeons and a Gearing progression path outside of raiding.  I would rather see this type of survey and positive feedback than stuff on the forums.  

danwest58 said:
    danwest58 said:

Not trying to troll you.  It was up on Facebook and Redditt forums today.  I say share your info here on this survey and let see what the devs do.  I personally put in for more dungeons and a Gearing progression path outside of raiding.  I would rather see this type of survey and positive feedback than stuff on the forums.  

I second that, but its almost creepy when you look at the comment section... I swear I didn't write any of it xD. I totally agree with you, the common ground is we need more mid core content.
    edited September 2015
    So where is the official link to this? So this isn't an official SE survey, just a community made survey from the Reddit/OF, waste of time then.  SE doesn't give an honest squat about the NA communities views and since this isn't an official survey means the community that matters (JP) isn't giving input then its just the equivalent of farting at air. 
    So where is the official link to this? So this isn't an official SE survey, just a community made survey from the Reddit/OF, waste of time then.  SE doesn't give an honest squat about the NA communities views and since this isn't an official survey means the community that matters (JP) isn't giving input then its just the equivalent of farting at air. 
    Dark,

I disagree with you there.  Do you know about the website calendar that SE came out with a few months ago?  I had posted about doing something like that on their Facebook page, Was saying that the WOW raid deal that the community setup is nice and and help get things organized.  Well After I posted that 1 day later a Developer from SE messaged me asking me what I visioned and told me they were already working on a calendar and were going to have one up.  2 weeks later it was released.  So they do listen the thing was that post I threw up I didnt engage in any flaming which happened on that facebook post, plus when I engaged a few other people in discussion I did so very respectively and explained what I was thinking.  It was odd to get a message from a dev but I did, the one I talked to was from the UK.  Any they do listen.  Its just how you have to approach it.  
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Nice thanks for sharing this. I don't play anymore because of the combat system, but it is a good game for what it is. I really had fun when not in combat. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

danwest58 said:
    danwest58 said:

I second that, but its almost creepy when you look at the comment section... I swear I didn't write any of it xD. I totally agree with you, the common ground is we need more mid core content.
    Yes they need mid core content for sure.  They done great on adding content fairly fast though.  From what I know of the Redditt forums there are developers that read them.  Thats only from what I heard from a few people I have spoken with who pulled together that survey.  Like I said I got to talk with a Dev from SE on Facebook.  So it does happen.  I just think we need to stay positive and present the our case.  Today I sent in a suggestion via the in game app.  I said basically that if I have a full group I should be able to do the Roulette no matter what.  The Roulette pushes the game itself too far into the realm of a Single Player game by rewarding people that use the Roolette solo.  There should be no reward for playing this like a single player game.  Its like the one guy on the other post said that is near impossible to get FCs that do things together.  Why?  They get stones slower than if people did the content as a single player game.  That itself is really a core problem

Again we have to use the tools like this survey, posting positive suggestions on their FB page, or their forums, as well as using their in game tool.  The reason why they listen to the JP player base so much is because their level of respect and how they present their case to the developers.  US players love to do F this and That Sucks and I PAY $15 A MONTH LISTEN TO WHAT I WANT AND THE WAY I WANT IT.  The JP players do not do that, they present a case with logic to back it up and do not troll people, the respectfully disagree.  We have to be better as MMO players than we have.  If we dont we will continue to get a pile of shit.  
    danwest58 said:
    Dark,

I disagree with you there.  Do you know about the website calendar that SE came out with a few months ago?  I had posted about doing something like that on their Facebook page, Was saying that the WOW raid deal that the community setup is nice and and help get things organized.  Well After I posted that 1 day later a Developer from SE messaged me asking me what I visioned and told me they were already working on a calendar and were going to have one up.  2 weeks later it was released.  So they do listen the thing was that post I threw up I didnt engage in any flaming which happened on that facebook post, plus when I engaged a few other people in discussion I did so very respectively and explained what I was thinking.  It was odd to get a message from a dev but I did, the one I talked to was from the UK.  Any they do listen.  Its just how you have to approach it.  
    Seems a bit far-fetched if you ask me but that's how SE has done things and I'm talking FFXI too when I say this. Between FFXIV and FFXI forums a lot of the complaints are only addressed because of community concerns were on JP as well as NA. While this was much more rampant in FFXI, FFXIV and of its drop in features were implemented were all concerns that were noted on the JP thread thanks to a person doing translations for us. These were also people that translated the live letter days earlier than the NA community team to further the fact we are always second to receiving any information or updates.

Even if the story you are telling me is true (which it could of been coincidental for what Im willing to believe) it was still a small and very useful feature that could of been implemented with little time/resources so not really as big of a deal as you think. Its like saying "No that's incorrect because that one time something happened"!!! Just know that I have known SE for the better part of more than a decade, and after the 1.0 debacle even FFXI opened OF and started being more forthright with people but as some of the JP/EN translators were able to dig up the issues that saw fixes were only things brought up in JP forums. Even at the cost of stringing up FFXI I will say that SE is not too keen on listening. 

While Yoshi shows signs of observation when it comes to our concerns has been apparent, how long has it been since 2.0 launch before we really got in the loop. So many supposed features/content/changes/hybrid classes/armoury revisions/cross server zones e.t.c. that we all never heard a single thing about since launch. Just now after 2 years we find out that dungeons were not a huge cost for them to develop, you don't say? But regardless if that actually happened then pat on the back for you (no sarcasm intended) I merely have been with SE for far too long it seems.
    edited September 2015
    danwest58 said:

danwest58 said:
    danwest58 said:

Yes they need mid core content for sure.  They done great on adding content fairly fast though.  From what I know of the Redditt forums there are developers that read them.  Thats only from what I heard from a few people I have spoken with who pulled together that survey.  Like I said I got to talk with a Dev from SE on Facebook.  So it does happen.  I just think we need to stay positive and present the our case.  Today I sent in a suggestion via the in game app.  I said basically that if I have a full group I should be able to do the Roulette no matter what.  The Roulette pushes the game itself too far into the realm of a Single Player game by rewarding people that use the Roolette solo.  There should be no reward for playing this like a single player game.  Its like the one guy on the other post said that is near impossible to get FCs that do things together.  Why?  They get stones slower than if people did the content as a single player game.  That itself is really a core problem

Again we have to use the tools like this survey, posting positive suggestions on their FB page, or their forums, as well as using their in game tool.  The reason why they listen to the JP player base so much is because their level of respect and how they present their case to the developers.  US players love to do F this and That Sucks and I PAY $15 A MONTH LISTEN TO WHAT I WANT AND THE WAY I WANT IT.  The JP players do not do that, they present a case with logic to back it up and do not troll people, the respectfully disagree.  We have to be better as MMO players than we have.  If we dont we will continue to get a pile of shit.  
    Yeah the very fact that I STILL cant do any roulette with my RL friends outside of experts absolutely moronic and to this day we still cant have our companion out while in que...... I'm sorry but unless SE hands out a survey personally I can't say it has any merit what soever. The NA community devs can be as respectful and outreaching as you claim but are merely messengers to the company at the end of the day so it still begs to question how much of our input is applied. 

While I will admit that our community is toxic AF I can really come to question how little you know when it comes to the JP community. Not really sure where you get this notion of them being upstart contributing members of the interwebs but in some cases they can be worse than us. Culturally we still have very little respect of our elders and respect for one another in the real world, take a culture that tries harder to uphold that and then give them a place where all limiters are removed.The anonymity of the internet exists in the same respect no matter who or where you are in this big world. 

The reality is that the internet is far reaching and far more accessible than its ever been and social networking is so intuitive that its criminal. Opinions are far to easy to deliver and by god does everyone have one and its both a great thing and purely horrifying. That being said I dont think you played with JP players back in the day in FFXI. We also had a english speaking JP player that I made the mistake of pushing the same assumption you just spat out. The resulting mess that came afterwards was hours of the harsh reality of a proud people and what they become through the anonymity of the internet. Culture or nationality has no impact on the how you interact when you are on the internet because anonymity the internet gives each individual.
    Post edited by Darkfalz89 on
  • BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701
    FFXIV is a good game and been playing on and off for a year, but I do have a complaint about it.   I really wish it was a bit more sand box elements.   I love PvE and questing, however I hate the fact that the main quest line is so tided up with dungeons and raids.  I never played a game where you needed to raid to get to the end of a major story of a game.

I had my fill of raiding in EQ1 and EQ2 and I so burnt out on it.  However I do love other aspects of any PvE MMORPG.  If I want to be part of a the crafting community to help the adventurerers out there, I can't do that any more with the introduction of FFXIV's new expansion.   In order to advanced and explore the new areas, I have go through the entire story line and more and quests that involves raids. 

FFXIV devs may it even worse with the addition of their new X-pac.    You have to complete the main quest line in order to take advantage of your 50-125 dollars you just spent on the expansion.  You can't even try the new classes, harvest, or craft, or even set foot on the new lands because it's so tided up with the stupid major quest line.   Plus I think the main story quest line is so silly, long winded, and filled with so many cliches it's laughable.  But I can forgive that because I just space bar it, because the game play and the world is really cool.
    edited September 2015
    FFXIV is a good game and been playing on and off for a year, but I do have a complaint about it.   I really wish it was a bit more sand box elements.   I love PvE and questing, however I hate the fact that the main quest line is so tided up with dungeons and raids.  I never played a game where you needed to raid to get to the end of a major story of a game.

I had my fill of raiding in EQ1 and EQ2 and I so burnt out on it.  However I do love other aspects of any PvE MMORPG.  If I want to be part of a the crafting community to help the adventurerers out there, I can't do that any more with the introduction of FFXIV's new expansion.   In order to advanced and explore the new areas, I have go through the entire story line and more and quests that involves raids. 

FFXIV devs may it even worse with the addition of their new X-pac.    You have to complete the main quest line in order to take advantage of your 50-125 dollars you just spent on the expansion.  You can't even try the new classes, harvest, or craft, or even set foot on the new lands because it's so tided up with the stupid major quest line.   Plus I think the main story quest line is so silly, long winded, and filled with so many cliches it's laughable.  But I can forgive that because I just space bar it, because the game play and the world is really cool.
    I absolutely agree with you and you may well have pointed out why I am at a impasse with the game in its current state, its the same MMO I've been playing since 2003. 3.0 has been viewed in a more positive light from my perspective, but not because its necessarily squashed all the problems I had in 2.0 rather it just wasn't as bad as 2.0. The additional 10 levels felt very tacked on and the way the new jobs were implemented are still a head scratcher to me to this day. While the storyline is much better its merely better only by 2.0's standards and when you force someone to do it to access game features people will spacebar through it. Its a combination of him forcing his story down your throat and also as a "RMT countermeasure" which I do find quite laughable. 

The good news is that moving forward 4.0 will be keeping story and new class/zone access separate and offering a "The story thus far recap" at the next expansion, despite Yoshi being very against it and only changing it to appeal to the larger fanbase. While story is an important part of what makes a final fantasy game it should still keep content and classes separate. While FFXI used to heavily block content via story it was still very mild compared to FFXIV and later expansions it became almost non existent but new jobs were ALWAYS available immediately. At the very least allow new and returning players to sample your new classes  because in some cases its the very reason the game may fail to draw someone in from earlier versions of the game. In any case its doing so moving forward and its doing a solid by making it all separate all together. 

While raiding in FFXIV is very well structured and extremely polished it really isn't tailored around people without fixed schedules. Raiding has always been a very niche type of content that less than 10% of the playerbase gets to see in any given MMO its in. In WoW I called it team jump roping and in FFXIV It feels a bit more like 8 player DDR in the sense its less about difficulty and more about moving at the same rhythm. The real challenge of raiding was not progression as much as it keeping people logging in around the same time every week and keeping people interested. This becomes increasingly harder once you are out of the progression phase as with extremely scripted content eventually bores people and they go play something else. Then trying to find someone so late in the raid season leaves you with lemmings that are not willing to learn but rather be carried. Pair this with the 10% of the player base sees said content and it feels like a lose/lose.

Some open world content I can do with my 4 RL friends would be great, adding more depth to dungeon content and increasing it to 6 man parties would be great too. Adding a support/hybrid role and extra DPS would make for a great party structure. As Danwest said, go on the OF and list your concerns in hopes that some JP players feel the same so change happens. Be civil and dont troll/flamebait and SE may just listen to our concerns. 
    edited September 2015
    I personally love the new story line and think it's the best one since before ff7 but opinions are just that opinions. I agree some what with your thinking on raiding. I would like there to be less jump rope and more random actions from the bosses and more mechanics like what Diablos had with the doors. Adding item pop hunts that are for your party only would be great and make it where you have to get the item from a dungeon. So that people work for it and make it a random dungeon as well.
    You are definitely right on the opinion part but in the end we all have different tastes. Back when I first played FF7 I thought it was the best stuff since sliced bread but upon revisiting the entire series and playing remakes/HD remasters e.t.c. I found FF7 to offer one of the most weakest overall narratives of all the other FF games minus maybe 13 or 1 due to 13 being just terrible and 1 being far too old to keep anything outside a very simple story and simple goal with that. I feel that while FF7's true strong point was its characters it was still a 50/50 tossup. I'm not going to say the idea behind the lifestream and the many things really made FF7 stand out were bad because they were amazing, but overall I felt the story was needlessly convoluted for the sake of just being convoluted.

As far as FFXIV's story would of been interesting had I not played a FF or had not been a seasoned JRPG player. I'm sick of being the special snowflake that is the hero that needs to defeat the darkness, and pair that with the inability to create memorable characters that I enjoy interacting with (every time they manage to finally build up a decent character they die besides Tataru because she is my waifu!) and the urge to want to push Alphinaud off a cliff because he is Shinji 2.0... Due to spoilers I will say the character that gets pierced by the knights energy spear actually legitimately pissed me off. I actually shed a tear when said character died because it really grew on me and their passing makes it hard for me to want to indulge into any more of the story. Its also pretty bad when halfway through the story both me and my friend who just started playing wanted to join the garlians because even they and the acians have a better union than the scions...

While FFXI is a very dated combat system there is still more we can learn and use to apply to to more modern battle systems like FFXIV's. The extremely scripted nature of the game disallows any kind of action to control the flow of battle. There was a time in first coil where you could silence the ADS miniboss on floor one but afterwards never made a comeback into the game. There are small "vulnerabilities" you can place or small stat reductions like "virus" or "supervirus" but creating more debuffs or ways to encumber the monster while engaging in a system that's more about preparing for the damage thats being thrown upon you rather than running in circles like a chicken with its head cut off. Instead of being so predictable you can write out the next 40 animations the boss will do, allow him to mix it up and throw a random meteor e.t.c and have a visual que so your healer needs to throw down a bubble to mitigate or you wipe?

A lot of your ideas and even the thread you posted on items with ability effects is a great start for where the game should apply itself. You should see some of the ideas people have on the OF like making a dungeon a more explore-able zone with more objectives you can do by yourself/with friends and created alternative boss encounters that drop other gear/currency/crafting items e.t.c. Open world content that has a way of rewarding individual groups or farm-able pop sets items.  There is a lot of potential here,and the game has one "fluffy" foundation (see what I did there ? :P).
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308

I honestly would have been happy with a bug-free (ish, of course) and optimized ffxiv 1.0.  I realize I'm in the VAST minority though.

I thought I was completely alone to think 1.0 was a better game...I was wrong. 2.0 is another wow-ish game which is ok to play but after few months you see how the next tier drops all your hard work to even more grinding to only have you drop that too for even more for next tier and so on.
    Bottom line 1.0 was unique where 2.0+ is just another i level, gear score, daily, weekly chore, 2.0+ players you are not playing a game you are working and pay attention soon new tomestone available for next tier forget your hard work and work even harder. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'm more concerned that we'll never get more on person inventory space, because according to like 3-4 live letters ago, they said it would put too much stress on the servers. Sadly, no one thought to ask why we couldn't get a free retainer instead....at least we get to buy them....

I thought I was completely alone to think 1.0 was a better game...I was wrong. 2.0 is another wow-ish game which is ok to play but after few months you see how the next tier drops all your hard work to even more grinding to only have you drop that too for even more for next tier and so on.
    Bottom line 1.0 was unique where 2.0+ is just another i level, gear score, daily, weekly chore, 2.0+ players you are not playing a game you are working and pay attention soon new tomestone available for next tier forget your hard work and work even harder. 
    There are many advocates of a bug free 1.0 me included but the with the way 1.0 launched and the state of SE as a company during that time (all i need to say is Final Fantasy 13) they had very little options. As I've said before, the plan for the remake of 2.0 was put into motion months before 1.2 and was going happen regardless of how 1.2 was received. SE was not going to regain its financial losses without a complete re-branding of the game and the producer put in charge merely took the safe route. This revelation I made does not make me any less mad than you nor other 1.2 sympathizers, in fact a lot of us knew that this was the only way this game would get another chance which made it like salt on the open wound when we saw what become of it in 2.0. 

Despite remembering a time when FFXIV had textures and very robust animations (while few in number) rather than sparkly disjointed ones from a technical level ;1.0's engine would not have run properly on the PS4 let alone PS3. I know after years of "PS2 Rimitaions" from FFXI it would be better off having a purely PC FF online MMO it does play rather well on a gamepad, in fact I cannot play on a keyboard after playing FFXI and FFXIV for as long as I have with a controller. That being said I still play on PC because even despite how well the game handles on PS4, it still buckles in more populated areas and takes major FPS drops when many animations are going off. 

I've waged a holy crusade for some months now (if you check my post history) to no avail because it seems that a lot of players are completely fine with FFXIV in the current state it is. Granted very little to none of these players played 1.2 so they have very little to compare this game to so its not so unsuspected. It provides me with some entertainment for a month at a time before the shallowness and repetition reaches its peak and I go play something else. I am merely hoping for better things moving forward into the future, Naoki claims he has big plans now that the foundation of the game has been laid out. 

Albatroes said:
    I'm more concerned that we'll never get more on person inventory space, because according to like 3-4 live letters ago, they said it would put too much stress on the servers. Sadly, no one thought to ask why we couldn't get a free retainer instead....at least we get to buy them....
    I feel that FFXIV needs a separate inventory when for either crafted/crafting materials and I feel that with just that change alone I would regain 200+ slots spread between me and my two retainers. Until such a change happens I agree with your statement and it also makes me chuckle when I read it no matter how many times you mention it because its just classic SE logic. 

Albatroes said:
    I feel that FFXIV needs a separate inventory when for either crafted/crafting materials and I feel that with just that change alone I would regain 200+ slots spread between me and my two retainers. Until such a change happens I agree with your statement and it also makes me chuckle when I read it no matter how many times you mention it because its just classic SE logic. 
    I am thinking that the inventory on the back end was designed badly so from what I know Database Design I think what the developers did some kind of Partitioning.  In a MS SQL database you ca Partition a Table to make queries faster and you can also move them Partitions to different disk.  I believe you can do that too in Oracle I can double check because in my department I work with Oracle DBA on some projects and I have hear them talk about having tables on different disk so I know it can be done.  Anyway so when a retainer is bought It just partitions out that retainer table and set up the partition on a Different SAN than the live running database.  So what I think we are doing is buying disk space on another SAN.