Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Design Journal #6 - Character Customization and Bloodlines | Chronicles of Elyria | MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageDesign Journal #6 - Character Customization and Bloodlines | Chronicles of Elyria | MMORPG.com

Half nature, half nurture, learn how your family's bloodlines and genetics, your starting region, and the occupations of your parents work together to define what most MMOs call your character's race. Then, learn how character customization continues after character creation.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    edited September 2015
    So, you can at least make your character look cross-eyed. :) Kidding aside, the more I read about this project the more interested I become. I'll be following it a little more closely.
  • LucchenoLuccheno Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Awesome as always!
  • bleakravenbleakraven Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Can we actually just use the sliders for our own character? Or is it GTA Online (first version) type of thing? :\
  • SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    The chance for mutations like albinism. How cool is that.
  • RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Can we actually just use the sliders for our own character? Or is it GTA Online (first version) type of thing? :\
    For what I understand if you choose to start as a Ward you get much more flexibility in the creation of your character appearance. Otherwise you are a bit more restricted depending on your ancestors.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2015
    I think the character start will make perfect sense as in ideas we already understand. I think sort of like picking a Human race in games now you get more flexibility but nothing too min/max.

Or choose say an Ogre in Eq2 and you start with really good STR but have some really weak stats as well.

I really enjoyed the racial difference in FFXI but i felt it fell a bit short.I know people will complain if they don't have the stats to be a competent Mage for example but imo that is the way it should be.However what many games do is those starts seem to make little difference over time,making the whole system not really worth a grain of salt.Point being i hope we see some very noticeable differences and not just for example a certain Mage doing 26 dmg and a different race doing 25 dmg,almost meaningless.

I hope these differences also relate to other aspects such as STR and perhaps another stat allowing you to carry more,but a lean taller person perhaps can move faster.It really bothers me when players start complaining they can't have exactly what they want, the fastest,strongest best at everything scenario,life doesn't work like that and neither should it in a rpg.

Basically i hope the differences from all these stats and systems make a real difference from one player to another.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79
    For someone who never played GTA Online (any version!) can you explain waht that was like?

I appears that these are be for our own character, which we will be able to see in game. The developers have mentioned on the forums that there are both 3rd and 1st person camera options so you will see your character constantly if you choose to play in third person.

However, if you mean is there a range of full customisation with out limits to creat our own character from scratch the closest to that is by playing a Ward. There is not limit based on your parents, however you will still be limited within what is normal for the race you have chosen.
    Author of the Elyria Echo. Follow us here @ElyriaEcho.
    Mutations can be drastic or subtle and will show up on the slider for one of the parent character traits.
    Its eerie seeing your parents eye ball staring at you during the head creation phase.
    I like that the fact that family members are going to look similar and not based on just user preference that makes two siblings looks like they have nothing in common
  • AmarokWAmarokW Member UncommonPosts: 4
    The Character models look awesome!!
  • HalvetHalvet Member CommonPosts: 4
    These are really cool details. Honestly, in my imagination, this is easily the best MMORPG ever designed!
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    Halvet said:
    These are really cool details. Honestly, in my imagination, this is easily the best MMORPG ever designed!
    Glad you like it! Each Monday after the design journal is released we run a live chat on IRC. Next week you should come and ask questions. See this thread for information on how to join IRC. There's generally half a dozen people in there at all times.

CoE Live Chat Thread
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
    The IRC chat is always a great place to learn more. There are always questions being asked and theorizing going on. Then there are those times when the Devs drop in to set us straight.
  • WoodchipWoodchip Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Just having joined the CoE community I must say that the amount of interaction and information from the game designers is quite refreshing.
  • VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited September 2015
    Sabbicat said:
    Its eerie seeing your parents eye ball staring at you during the head creation phase.
    Oh I am never going to be able to unsee that.

One things I was wondering with the eye colours was in that example you can either tend towards your mothers eye colour of brown or your fathers of blue. They are quite different. Is this really a slider with a range of values? Or is it a simply a choice of either or with only two possible positions availble on the slider? The eye colour slider, which is selected with the blue outline, is fully one way so doesn't really give any clues.

Mainly wondering what might be between brown and blue on a slider, just murky blue?
    Author of the Elyria Echo. Follow us here @ElyriaEcho.
    Sabbicat said:
    Oh I am never going to be able to unsee that.

One things I was wondering with the eye colours was in that example you can either tend towards your mothers eye colour of brown or your fathers of blue. They are quite different. Is this really a slider with a range of values? Or is it a simply a choice of either or with only two possible positions availble on the slider? The eye colour slider, which is selected with the blue outline, is fully one way so doesn't really give any clues.

Mainly wondering what might be between brown and blue on a slider, just murky blue?
    I thought about that as well... In cases like that maybe you want to select your preference towards one or the other. And once you accept it the probability to get one or the other is increased depending on your perference, but even then you might have "bad luck" and get the other color.
    here is a really cool article on eye colour. A topic I never really gave thought to until discussing this Design Journal. http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/eye-color.htm
    Oh, speaking of articles! Community member VictoriaRachel runs the first community fan-site for Chronicles of Elyria called the Elyria Echo. It's goal is to capture all the little hints on lore, game mechanics, etc... that the devs drop in the forums and she echos is back to the community, nicely distilled, with her commentary and a player perspective on the systems.

In short, the Elyria Echo is one of the best ways to quickly ramp up on the cool stuff we're doing.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • WoodchipWoodchip Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Anyone read in the design journals what POV the game will be played in (top down, 3rd person)?
    Woodchip said:
    Anyone read in the design journals what POV the game will be played in (top down, 3rd person)?
    3rd/1st person.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
    Woodchip said:
    3rd/1st person.
    So thankful for those choices.
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    This all looks great! Im excited to see the different options we will see.
  • TekaichiTekaichi Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I just want to jump in and create my character and meet my parents !
    In past games it has always been about creating the perfect character and then seeing the same for the duration of the game. The concept of CoE where I can create my character and have him change as I play him is quite unique. The changes are not built on what armour or cloathing I have on eather but that I wactually change. What I cant wait to see as well is how my next generational character can take on some of my traits too.