Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potential for a new Star Wars MMO?

laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,045
edited September 2015 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
It is becoming very obvious that Disney wants to push the Star Wars franchise into as many places as possible. Over the last year, they put their brand on 4 mobile games that I know of. Battlefront is coming out very soon, Disney Infinity for consoles just came out, mainly featuring Star Wars.

I am wondering, is there potential for another Star Wars MMO? Would any potential Star Wars MMO directly compete with SWTOR, therefore making it a bad investment for the brand?

What are your opinions on this? Will we see a new Star Wars MMO over the coming years?

Comments

  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,745
    Slim as ones that were being developed have been shuttered completely.
  • KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    laxie said:
    What are your opinions on this? Will we see a new Star Wars MMO over the coming years?
    If you mean in about 15-20 years, sure.  I wouldn't recommend hold your breath though (that's a long time).
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    edited September 2015
    Isn't going to happen. As you said yourself, it would be in direct competition with TOR.

    The best we can hope for is a new KOTOR or Jedi Knight inspired game. Obviously there will be a whole bunch of games for the new trilogy, hopefully they will be worth playing.

    Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    If they do make one they would still just mess things up. With an IP like Star wars you really should make custom mechanics so the players actually feel like they are in the movies.

    Using tanks and healers, levels and similar standard MMO mechanics can never really capture that feeling, not even close.  That doesn't make TOR a crap game but while it looks like Star wars (or at least close to Clone wars) it doesn't play like it.

    You would have to at least have action combat but I think FPS combat would work best here. Or a mix where ranged weapons are FPS styled while melee would be more action like (but you need to balance it so it actually compensate for how hard it is to hit stuff).

    Luke doesn't stop and heal Leia in the middle of a battle, there are marginal Clone wars references to healing but it is always after combat. Support however is fine, they do use the force to support others so if you want some kind of semi trinity there is where you have to focus.

    As for tanking, there are plenty of body blocking, jumping in front of someone and parry with a lightsaber or just to push someone out of harms way. Taunting however seems wrong in this case.

    You could still use levels if you tone down the mechanics a bit, but something a bit more TSW would probably work far better here. And that goes for quests as well, 1 main quest and a side quest is perfect here. They don't run around like lemmings solving loads of different problems at the same time after all.

    And for all our sakes, don't let the lightsabers do wuzzy damage. Getting hit by one is bloody serious and should be so. Getting hit 30 times with a lightsaber and still fighting on is just silly, focus the combat more on not getting hit (dodge, positioning, cover and parry) and make it hard for lightsaber users to jump blaster armed people, they will after all get a few shots at you before you get close enough.

    But Disney would just make a Wow with lightsabers and Twileks instead of elves.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,839
    I'm still waiting for a non-cartoon TV series.  I understand that Lucus doesn't want to saturated the market and the reason he went with Disney is that they have the same philosophy.

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,259
    If they could work one into the new canon they might.

    But there are factors that would prevent it

    EA - still has exclusive rights

    Cost - SWTOR cost a lot and while it's making good money now they probably won't want to make the same gamble

    Market - MMOs aren't as popular as they were when SWTOR began production, so there's probably a better chance of seeing a Star Wars MOBA

    Promotion - to capitalize on renewed interest and cross promotion with the upcoming movies it should release no later than 1 year after Episode 9, and if it went into production right now it would barely make that
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    edited September 2015
    They need to make a starwars action RPG like diablo 2 .


    But if they made an open world Starwars sandbox I would be on it like a bee to honey .

    SWG clone not SWTOR 

  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Polygon had a rumor/speculation article last year that Bioware(the real one, the one in Canada) hinted they were working on a new canon SW rpg, it would be like KoTOR. But that is all i read in polygon back then...

    Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,578
    What I would love to see is a Star Wars in the vein of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. I think a Jedi/Sith hierarchy using the Nemesis system would be great.

    image
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,184
    Loke666 said:
    If they do make one they would still just mess things up. With an IP like Star wars you really should make custom mechanics so the players actually feel like they are in the movies.

    Using tanks and healers, levels and similar standard MMO mechanics can never really capture that feeling, not even close.  That doesn't make TOR a crap game but while it looks like Star wars (or at least close to Clone wars) it doesn't play like it.

    You would have to at least have action combat but I think FPS combat would work best here. Or a mix where ranged weapons are FPS styled while melee would be more action like (but you need to balance it so it actually compensate for how hard it is to hit stuff).

    Luke doesn't stop and heal Leia in the middle of a battle, there are marginal Clone wars references to healing but it is always after combat. Support however is fine, they do use the force to support others so if you want some kind of semi trinity there is where you have to focus.

    As for tanking, there are plenty of body blocking, jumping in front of someone and parry with a lightsaber or just to push someone out of harms way. Taunting however seems wrong in this case.

    You could still use levels if you tone down the mechanics a bit, but something a bit more TSW would probably work far better here. And that goes for quests as well, 1 main quest and a side quest is perfect here. They don't run around like lemmings solving loads of different problems at the same time after all.

    And for all our sakes, don't let the lightsabers do wuzzy damage. Getting hit by one is bloody serious and should be so. Getting hit 30 times with a lightsaber and still fighting on is just silly, focus the combat more on not getting hit (dodge, positioning, cover and parry) and make it hard for lightsaber users to jump blaster armed people, they will after all get a few shots at you before you get close enough.

    But Disney would just make a Wow with lightsabers and Twileks instead of elves.
    I agree with all you are saying here, especially the last sentence.  I would change one thing, the part that I thought SWG did extremely well and that is put theme park within a sand box.  The open world and the ability to create your own city but you still had theme parks was pretty amazing.  So do away with the main quest bit and I am 100% in your camp on this one.

    However, like everyone else, I doubt we will see it any time soon.

    SWTOR is not Star wars.  In any sense.

    If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    immodium said:
    What I would love to see is a Star Wars in the vein of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. I think a Jedi/Sith hierarchy using the Nemesis system would be great.
    Well, there is a new open-world RPG in development by Jade Raymond's new studio (Motive) along with Visceral Games, with Amy Hennig writing. Sooooooo, it should be pretty drool-worthy, even if it's not an MMO. 

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I would love to see a competent Star Wars MMO, but until the license is pulled from EA, you will not have any Star Wars games worth buying.  After two MMOs with that IP failing, I really doubt anyone will throw more money after it.      
Sign In or Register to comment.