Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a MMO developer/publisher that you trust?

I know by the title this may comes off as a troll post, but in fact it is exactly the opposite. In a time long past, there was a huge stake in what company was attached to an MMO, in modern times it seems many do not even care about the "face" behind the game, but rather just the feature list and payment model. 

At one point there was a veritable pick of developers who had name recognition, but now you dont really have these great innovators or names that are pushing the games forward. Although its not an MMO, Chris Roberts and Star Citizen would be the only relevant modern example I have of a name behind the company actually enticing people to purchase a game.

Now on to the idea of trust. I feel, and again this is just my opinion, that many players feel "burned" by alot of the big name companies and have generated a large amount of mistrust between them and the developers. This goes for the publishers as well, NCSOFT is a prime example in my opinion from the closure of alot of games that although had small fan bases, wernt generating the mega-profits needed for continued support. 

Then you have the buyout of many MMO's by foreign developers, for example Cryptic Studios being bought by Perfect World Entertainment a Chinese based company. There again generates alot of feelings of mistrust, whenever a foreign entity now has ahold of a Western product, because of the obvious disconnect between languages. 

Also you have developers that implemented new business models, such as Champions Online going F2P, Age of Conan, Wildstar, among others. You also garner from this same vein companies that have ridiculous Microsatction fee's like Goblinwork's Pathfinder MMO, or Shroud of the Avatar with their in game houses that sell for $200 a pop.

My point is, there seems to be a large focus now on a few things, Hype, Profit, and Paid Testing. It seems like a large gauntlet for the consumer to traverse to actually connect with a developer they can trust. So on a serious note, Is there a developer or publisher you trust? Or even continue to Trust? Why has this company kept you with them for so long? And if not why have they led you away?

Comments

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited September 2015
    I trust no company I may play there game even don't trust them, But I learn it the hard way back in the days playing WoW how much they can lie just to be lazy and avoid question and still take money.
  • sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    I trust no company I may play there game even don't trust them, But I learn it the hard way back in the days playing WoW how much they can lie just to be lazy and avoid question and still take money.
    I think WoW was the biggest start to this trend. Although we had debacles with SWG, Ultima, and other games where they implemented a sweeping game altering patch. WoW saw the systematic deconstruction of the game over a long stretch of time to appeal to the new demographic they mustered and ignore the responses of their loyal fans.

I like to think that Blizzard as a whole is a bit better now than back then, but as they say the damage was done.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Off the top of my head I would say En Masse.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Nope. I gave NCSoft a second chance and they burned me again. What they did with CoH and W* pretty much destroyed my desire to play MMOs on a regular basis.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I don't trust studios that start their games with a sub, then switch to f2p/b2p within less than a year.  So basically that's EA and Zenimax Online Studios.  It makes it even worse or laughable depending on how you look at it when their fans get all riled up and telling everyone that the game will never go f2p/b2p or that even WoW will go f2p/b2p before ESO does.  *high fives bcbully*

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2015
    I trust Square Enix as a business but i have lost trust that they can make the type of game i want to play.

I have never once got the feeling that Square is trying to mislead anyone of feed any BS,they just basically operate like a straight shooter "here is our game" like it or not.

Then we get devs like Arena net telling us how great their game is and how they are fixing what everyone else is doing wrong .../sigh.Or you get a Smedley who hangs out on Twitter bragging he suckered in a couple million to buy his 5% finished H1Z1 game and 6 months alter it is 10% finished lol.

NCSOFT don't trust them one bit.

I will say there have been a few Indie devs that have shown me some good morals and i might trust them,but no that does not mean with free hand outs or kickstarter money,i don't trust ANY of them that much.

I just wanted to add that i am by no means a blizzard fanbois,i feel ALL of their games are second rate but as a business and trust factor,i think i can say i trust them a lot more than most devs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Zenimax seems to be doing well. Non-greedy cash-shop, frequent updates and an attention to the player-base.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Nope, not a one. They have lied to us constantly, and then they act all affronted when people get angry. I just love how many games have claimed to be next gen, and yet they offer less than they did ten years ago with better graphics, then they tell the players that we expect too much. I've never seen any other business working this way. If you want to stay in business, you don't make things worse except that they are prettier. They don't listen to the players at all, and cater to the facebook crowd more than anything else. In fact, there's an entire section devoted to those kinds of games and specifically released only on browser. Frankly, I'm happier playing my single player games at the moment and I'm currently focused on finally finishing Witcher 3 (had to get a new video card. The last one made the game unplayable with bsod and crap). 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I simply don't worry about it.  These are just pastimes or hobbies and don't really matter much in the big picture.  Spend a few bucks and they don't turn out to be good enough, oh well, move on with my life.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LimitationsLimitations Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I trust Zenimax above all others, and then probably Square Enix. 

Who said this won't be perfect after all we know what is right
    And the sounds of bodies clashing is enough to make them cry.
    You know this cannot be perfect even when it is feeling right.
    And the sound of bodies crashing echo through the night.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    I trust most developers.  I don't always believe them, but most don't cross any ethical boundaries with me.

Pulbishers?  Not so much.  But not less than I trust any other firm that markets products or services.  For example, I might not be 100% trusting of NCSoft, but I trust them far more than buying a cell phone from BRAND-X  (name withheld by me since it's not on topic).

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    If by trust you mean confident that they're not just out to screw me and steal my money then the list ends and begins with Square Enix. 

Which is odd because I hate some of the major design decisions they made, but that wasn't the question at hand.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    rodingo said:
    I don't trust studios that start their games with a sub, then switch to f2p/b2p within less than a year.  So basically that's EA and Zenimax Online Studios.  It makes it even worse or laughable depending on how you look at it when their fans get all riled up and telling everyone that the game will never go f2p/b2p or that even WoW will go f2p/b2p before ESO does.  *high fives bcbully*
    That's why you can't take those fools seriously because they talk utter nonsense. 

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    I make it a point not to trust anyone, be it a single person or a large company, with more money than me.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Gamers always say big companies, try Indies, most indies are gamers, or AAA devs who got tired of working for a big company, yet people bash indies because they aren't as pretty yet.. Which  find funny... ALso gamers think they are the victms and devs get no respect...

I see this now after being a gamer for over 35 years and become a developer to help make the games better, I see why its hard to make games today because no matter how much time you invest and money we lose... and yes we lose money, we are crooks... When in fact many companies lose money.... We need to make money to survive like you do when you work...

I feel alot of the issues are gamers think games are easy to make and want it all for free and many have to many different ideas than 20 years ago, so trying to please everyone... Forget it..

Try making a game and work for a company, AAA or indie and you will see..the problems..
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

I make it a point not to trust anyone, be it a single person or a large company, with more money than me.
    See I rest my case... They think, we all have tons of money... Funny... I wish.
  • RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    rodingo said:
    Oh that happened to me... fans going beserker when I predicted that ESO would go f2p/b2p after a year of the launch. They took it very bad as if f2p was something bad. well it turned out that I was wrong, it only lasted 6 month in subscription mode. 
  • RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Personally, it is hard to trust anyone. Lately a lot of games come and go... many good ideas are badly executed or managed. Some other games can be good but the problem is that everyone is basically doing the same thing so it's hard to attract new gamers when you are not giving them anything original.
    So not always is a problem of having a bad game, it's just that it is another game. I think right now, if game developer don't risk to make something new they are going to fail.
    How many times you hear "oh this game is awesome is the new WoW killer!"? But it is just more of the same.

For example, if you haven't hear of Chronicles Of Elyria, go take a look at it. That one is really innovative and it is doing a lot of things that nobody have ever done so far. Do I trust the developers? Well, at this point I say I do, they are very active in the community and their plans and ideas some pretty good though they still have to show us things (but they have been publicly out for a month or so, so it is to early to expect much). It is a new studio but with some people with lot of experience in it.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I've lost all faith and trust in the industry as a whole, not just for MMO's. We seem to be firmly in the middle of a F2P cash grab where every game that has any sort of online presence now has a cash shop.

Games that 10 years ago would have been sold in a box and then supported online play now all have a cash shop, F2P games where you pay 150 bucks to get a founder pack, giving you beta access and a fucking crap ring or mount. And people still fall for this shit!

The days of gamers making games for gamers (the old EA slogan) are long gone and we're now firmly in the time of the suits and the bottom line. It's all about money now and you should NEVER trust anyone with your money. I certainly don't.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Personally I think it's silly to trust any company, but I guess to some degree over the years you come to learn who generally creates quality games and who doesn't.  Granted they don't hit it home every time but if they're a company and they're known for creating quality experiences...  Well, you can always look at past work.

I'd throw down money to preorder a game from the following companies without batting an eyelash:
    1.) Blizzard Entertainment.
    2.) CD PROJEKT RED
    3.) Bioware.
    4.) Bethesda (Not Zenimax.)
    5.) Firaxis Games.
    I like to complain about games.
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    People who talk about a "company" and if you can thrust them or not have no idea of how business works.
    (not about the business itself, but how it works. I also don't have any clue what people are working at which company atm and who's in charge there)

You should focus less on the "company" and more and certain people working there. It's the CEOs, CFOs and CIOs who are mostly responsible.
    A company can be pretty thrustful and then there is a swap in the upper positions and everything will change.

Examples:
    Trion with Rift - Archeage (although I don't know if there were different people responsible or not, but it seems so, considering the difference in business models)
    Sigil Games and Vanguard - A change at Microsoft and they changed the priorities, cutting all support. So they had to release earlier. (Didn't they become independent because of that and then later on had to sell to SOE?)

tl;dr
    A company is just a name, it's the directors who are responsible.
    A company can be changing from thrustworthy to uber greedy within a week, with the change of just one responsible person.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    At the moment I trust At the moment I trust

@MarkJacobs / CityState Entertainment.

Even with what happened at WAR. Mark has always come across as honest and hard working. He's never tried to nickel-and-dime me. And he's generally held his hands up when his company has fucked up or misread what the players want (<cough>ToA<cough>). The kickstarter for CU was well updated and the team's communication with the backers/supporters has been excellent (even if I don't have enough time at work to cruise the forums all day any more :( )

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    1.CCP
    2.blizzard
    3.valve
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Why would you trust a game dev company.   They have such a high rate a churn and cycle through people so fast, that any team/person/leader that would make you trust a company is probably gone by the time you've decided it was a good idea.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    In no particular order I greatly trust:

Chris Roberts and Robert Space Industries
    Mark Jacobs and City State Entertainment
    Gabe Newell and Valve

Honorable mention for:

Allods Team
    Wargaming
    CCP
    Blizzard