Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth every cent I didnt pay

GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
edited September 2015 in Reviews & Impressions
I always wanted to try out GW2 but after hearing there was no trinity or end game progression I avoided it . I kept seeing it getting tons of amazing scores but so did Witcher 3 which I thought wasn't very good .

Maybe I'm just too old and jaded for these new MMO's although I did enjoy Final Fantasy for a while till I ran out of content.

Tried to get back into WOW but it's become soulless. 

Remembering back when I played SWG , at first I hated it but it grew on me , until they destroyed the game and made it into a jedi knight questing themepark with space combat ...

These games of late lack soul or purpose.  Everquest 1 had a soul . But what terrible graphics it had .. and yet at the time the graphics were amazing and the game was very addictive.

So I havent really played any MMORPG's lately and after playing a lot of other games I finally got to this point in life where I had no games to play that were of interest so I was looking for something .  Lo and behold I found that GW2 was actually free to play now !!  So I downloaded and here I am making a review.

The game is pretty good compared to most garbage WOW clones that are available and I can see why it is ranked so high . I am even considering buying the expansion but I need to play the game a bit more before I make that decision of course .

However for free to play you cannot go wrong . this game is definately worth the time and money ( if you consider time is money ) .

Now for the bad parts . If this game wasn't free.

Generic missions that seem to be exactly the same if you don't read the text.

No trinity probably why grouping is not needed see next comment?

Too solo friendly ,  I see others fighting near me but I don't see any talking or communication . Its like I'm playing a solo offline game almost.

Gearing seems a bit too basic. 

DEATH ? There isnt a penalty for dying except you spawn somewhere close  . I consider this bad because you kinda don't really care about dying at all which makes the game a bit boring and lack that "Oh my god my characer died " Feeling that you get in hardcore games.
The fighting back while knocked down is really painful. Just let us die already !

The good parts :

Amazing graphics
Tons of NPCs
Decent music and sounds
Combat feels fun especially with weapon swapping

World feels big enough even tho we can teleport all over the place like star trekker.

Maybe this game really is great because there isnt anything else better at the moment which is sad really.
Post edited by Grailer on

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited September 2015
    Its a great single player experience you play online with other people enjoying their also great single player experience, who happen to be standing next to each other.....
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    It's funny that so many people need mechanics to force grouping, rather than having the social inclination to do so on their own.  While I'm not a big fan of this game, when I did play, I found people quite willing to join me in a group as long as I did the initiating.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    It's funny that so many people need mechanics to force grouping, rather than having the social inclination to do so on their own.  While I'm not a big fan of this game, when I did play, I found people quite willing to join me in a group as long as I did the initiating.
    They don't need mechanics to force grouping, they need designs that encourage and reward it. GW2 is lacking in this department, as are most modern theme parks.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Kyleran said:
    They don't need mechanics to force grouping, they need designs that encourage and reward it. GW2 is lacking in this department, as are most modern theme parks.

I never grouped to get a reward, I just wanted some company along my journey, perhaps even have a few laughs aswell.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i think the "lack of soul" comments on the OP are subjective.

In my opinion, the soul of the game is a deep, compelling storyline while game mechanics/features reinforce that experience. To me personally, a mob grinder mmo does not have a soul if thats all you do in the game, grind mobs as if you are playing Dynasty Warriors: the mmo.

As for the OP comment about the Witcher 3, i found myself feeling the exact opposite. I started playing MSG5 recently and now that i got TW3 i cant even touch MSG5 until i finish TW3. Im so hooked on TW3 i cant play anything else. I see people saying TW3 has a crappy or poor combat, i think that is just their opinion because they are used (and expect) to play spectacle fighters like Bayonetta and Devil May Cry or rhythm basec brawl like Batman.. Witcher 2 combat was a bit poor. Witcher 3 combat IMO is very good and realistic. If you grab a sword in real life and swing at a dummy you would move like Geralt, not like Batman or Ninja Gaiden. And its more tactical since you can still get hit if you dont properly block/dodge the attack. TW3, to me personally, is the best RPG of its kind right now and i would take Geralt's combat over Batman any day of the year.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    i think the "lack of soul" comments on the OP are subjective.

In my opinion, the soul of the game is a deep, compelling storyline while game mechanics/features reinforce that experience. To me personally, a mob grinder mmo does not have a soul if thats all you do in the game, grind mobs as if you are playing Dynasty Warriors: the mmo.

I found myself pressing the skip button. reading the story is not important at all in order to play the game.

The dev's put this skip button into the game btw.

I  guess if I cared about the story I would've been inclined to read it and got into it.

If the story was required to be read and contained vital information etc
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Grailer said:
    I found myself pressing the skip button. reading the story is not important at all in order to play the game.

The dev's put this skip button into the game btw.

I  guess if I cared about the story I would've been inclined to read it and got into it.

If the story was required to be read and contained vital information etc
    The thing with the story is that it is optional, which is both good and bad. If you dislike story you can just skip it but it also means they wont put much clues in it.

The languages are good though, if you see runes and similar in writing they actually say something, but it is for the uber lore fans (same people who learn to speak Elvish or Klingon).

As for group dynamics they are there but takes a while to figure out, you notice it more when you do harder stuff like explorable dungeons and fractals. The open world difficulty was nerfed really bad after the first beta week, many people complained that they died (Im looking on you, Bad Spock;) so they nerfed it from surprisingly hard (loads of dead players lying around in the noob zones) to very easy.... Too bad.

They did however promise that the new expansion will be harder and at least Silver marches and dry top can be a bit harder than the rest of the open world content at times, nothing near even the noob zones before the nerf but better. Lets hope they get it far harder here.

The open world content of any modern MMO is super easy and if it isn't people start petition lists demanding nerfs and sadly do devs today listen to that (there I miss Brad, he would say something about "vision" and ignore it) even though the people whining tend to be the ones that leave the game fastest.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    GW2 Is a fantastic game to "visit" for a month or two but thats about it. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2015
    AwDiddums said:
    Kyleran said:

I never grouped to get a reward, I just wanted some company along my journey, perhaps even have a few laughs aswell.
    Yeah, I'm not looking for friends, I generally group with those who share a common goal or cause with me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well you sort of hit  it on the nose but in a half meant way.
    End game progression is hardly any thing to want or need,that only exists because these games have no purpose in the main game so it becomes a race to meaningless end game content.

We need to start seeing levels treated like aging,each level should last just as long as the last and feel like the equivalent of a years progression.

I would like to see more skills utilized in these games,allow players to work more towards those skills rather than meaningless level numbers.

I like where Elyria is going,have the players die off,it recycles the game in a good way,always keeps noob zones relevant and always keeps all tiers of crafting relevant and keeps immersion relevant and just makes the game feel a lot more real rather than just computer code.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    The original personal story is divided in 3 chapters.

The first chapter and deal with your character origins and/or what is happening around the starting area and concerns you and your race. Depending on race varies from meh to good.

The second chapter dealing with the orders have its good moments, but whatever.
    The 3rd chapter definitely meh.

The Living Story season 2 and HoT story feel a lot better.

About being solo friendly.
    Who on this day and age wants a game where to level your character you need other people?
    At least in GW2 you have moments where you are helping other people or being helped by them and pretty much it is always better to see other people around than not.
    And along the line you will find some champions you will be shouting in map for help - well, if you have a paid account anyway.

There are a few events that require coordination, and I expect the Triple trouble success rate without voice coordination to still be dreadful.

You will definitely appreciate groups for Dungeons, Fractals, Raids and some open world meta events.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited January 2016
    Well, A.Net is tweaking things in the Open World. We have a new Shatterer coming soon and there are other reworks going on for other world bosses.

Triple Trouble and Tequatl are 2 of the World boss events that takes tons of coordination and a massive amount of players to get through.

Been playing GW2 since Beta. At least each race has different starting stories, etc to go through. I have tried Blade and Soul (was bored to tears in Beta) and same goes for ESO, TERA,  and Skyforge.

Now if A.net could get WvW fixed properly, this game would really be a great game instead of a good game.

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Wizardry said:

We need to start seeing levels treated like aging,each level should last just as long as the last and feel like the equivalent of a years progression.

No. I'm already growing old in real life, I don't need that in a land of make believe.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    You can easily play this game without ever seeing its true colors.  It doesn't have an advanced tutorial so you can easily miss out on world boss raids, dungeons, fractals.  This content is so hard they cannot give penalties for death.  I have been in dungeons where the group has wiped upwards of 20 times.  It has a trinity it just doesn't force it upon you when you queue for dungeons.  Believe me it helps to have a healer in a dungeon.  So you need to google GW2 timers then look at the world boss raids and when they are happening then join in on the real action.  Just an example of one of the fractal segments.  There are two buttons at the end of a maze with booby traps.  Two members of your group have to reach different buttons and press them at the same time in order to advance.  Another words if you want to figure out how to do the fractal then there is plenty of challenge.   if you just want to google how to do everything then well why would you complain about it being easy?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Generic missions lol.  There's one mission you have to catch frogs then put them in a machine so they will produce a potion then throw the potion at invisible egg poachers.  One of the raids you have to carry explosives to the gate in order to damage it so it blows up.  They do almost always offer something to kill but you also have 2 other options for each quest.  One quest you interview patients and see if they will become aggressive at certain words.  Another quest you have to scan the ground to find metal objects and return them to a scientist.  Yea this is all completely generic.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kyleran said:
    AwDiddums said:
    Kyleran said:

Yeah, I'm not looking for friends, I generally group with those who share a common goal or cause with me.

I think this is the issue, though. This is why MMOs are, essentially, single-player games now. Not saying I'm innocent of this myself. Since all of my guildies abandoned WoW I found myself soloing most of it which was, actually, less fun and I'm currently in one of my longest breaks from the game because of it. I think that the feeling is, also, that if I group with someone then I'm not going to get my own quests done quickly. It's actually a selfish mentality. 

So should they force grouping? I don't know. Some might take offence to being forced to group with other people. That being said, is that what needs to happen in order for players to re-discover what made MMOs fun? Maybe.... 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    99% of all these games are not true mmorpg's ,they are just single player games with a login screen.The 1% of the time you want to group is for 1% of the content,so 99% of a game is single player game.

I am also getting old,it doesn't mean i want to cheapen my gaming experience with faster to end game  designs.Unless we plan on dying in the next 5 years,that is a long time to thoroughly enjoy any of these mmorpg's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.