Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

trying to get back into the game, no inventory space

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
So my highest GW2 character is about level 33 or something like that. I'd like to continue with her, not having played for a very long time. I logged in, and noticed that the character has basically no inventory space. It's all clumped up with stuff. I guess half of it are crafting component, the other half are all kinds of boosts (more xp, level a char to lvl 20 instantly or whatever, more of this or that).

I like crafting, so I'm not sure what to throw away. And while I don't need those boost thingies right now, I'm not sure if I might need them at another time.

Even starting to play with the character makes no sense, since I wouldn't have space to pick up more than a couple items.

Is the only solution to buy more bank space? Anyone having any advice?

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    in the top right of the inventory there is  a cog   

click that and deposit  all material 

it puts it in your  crafting bank

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Thanks.
    I did that. I still have nearly no space. :/ I guess I just collected everything of which I'm not sure whether I might need it. Apart from outdated equipment of course, that I took apart.

I guess I'll make a screenshot this evening, when I'm home, and post it. :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well, try to get as large bags as possible. 8 bags can be crafted from the start with tailor, leatherworker or armorsmith. 12 bags need a relatively cheap rune and T2 crafting skill, 15 bags a slightly more expensive and T3.

Also, keep an eye what you have in your inventory. Get rid of trophies and salvage anything your class can't use and things that isn't an upgrade. Put the rest of the stuff in the bank.

Try to only have an salvage kit in the inventory when you head out (easier said then done).
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I personally have 80 slots of inventory space, which is quite enough. 30 slots are permanently full with stuff I carry around (second armor set, food, etc). A dungeon run takes up about 40 slots, so you definitely want to have that much available when you are heading out.

There is no reason to carry or store anything on you. What you don't need, store in the bank. Carry two salvage kits at all times, that way you can break down items into components (and store them directly through "deposit materials" as suggested above). At level 33, you should not have that much stuff yet anyway.

1. Stuff you want to store in the bank are xp boosters, any consumables that will be useful at level 80, toys, very rare crafting ingredients and very rare pieces of equipment.
    2. Stuff you carry around is food, any equipment you swap on regular basis, some toys.
    3. Majority of other stuff you sell on the auction house or break down and store the materials (those are stored in a separate tab, not taking up your space).
    Don't be afraid to sell stuff you don't need.
    laxie said:
    I personally have 80 slots of inventory space, which is quite enough. 30 slots are permanently full with stuff I carry around (second armor set, food, etc). A dungeon run takes up about 40 slots, so you definitely want to have that much available when you are heading out.

There is no reason to carry or store anything on you. What you don't need, store in the bank. Carry two salvage kits at all times, that way you can break down items into components (and store them directly through "deposit materials" as suggested above). At level 33, you should not have that much stuff yet anyway.

1. Stuff you want to store in the bank are xp boosters, any consumables that will be useful at level 80, toys, very rare crafting ingredients and very rare pieces of equipment.
    2. Stuff you carry around is food, any equipment you swap on regular basis, some toys.
    3. Majority of other stuff you sell on the auction house or break down and store the materials (those are stored in a separate tab, not taking up your space).
    A mystic salvage kit helps a lot here, it has 250 salvages instead of 25. The bad news is that you need 3 mystic forge stones to make it (you get them in the achivement reward chests so if you havn't got one yet you can't make them unless you buy stones for gems). 

Throw in 3 stones, a blue, green and yellow salvage kit in the mystic forge in Lions arch, it saves a lot of inventory space and it is good for salvaging ecto late in the game as well.
    Thanks for the advice. :)

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I have 5 bag slots unlocked, 4 banks slots, and a personal guild bank vault I setup just for me. I still run out of space all the time. My advice would be to grab the Copper Salvage Kit, I think it's called, from the Gem Store. Easily the best purchase I made from there. It's a pain that you have to swap it between alts but otherwise it's well worth it. I break down everything and it helps quite a bit.
    This is the stuff I got.
    In addition to the bank space and default back pack, I got three 10 slot and one 8 slot bags. 

Can I throw half of this stuff away? 

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    maji said:
    This is the stuff I got.
    In addition to the bank space and default back pack, I got three 10 slot and one 8 slot bags. 

[sniperino]
    Finish crafting discovery with that crafting component and sell when your done.
    Destroy that hearts rewards of living story if not gonna use on your character.
    Right click the Mini Jenna to add to wardrobe
    "Sell Junk" on any npc to get rid of the trunk
    Open all bags and deposit the contents
    Sell the npc the green sigils.
    Right Click the Transmustaion stones to convert to transmutation charges
    Consume the transmutation charge
    Sell remaining  crafting insigneas/inscriptions or use to level up other crafting professions

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Loke666 said:
    laxie said:

A mystic salvage kit helps a lot here, it has 250 salvages instead of 25. The bad news is that you need 3 mystic forge stones to make it (you get them in the achivement reward chests so if you havn't got one yet you can't make them unless you buy stones for gems). 

Throw in 3 stones, a blue, green and yellow salvage kit in the mystic forge in Lions arch, it saves a lot of inventory space and it is good for salvaging ecto late in the game as well.
    The biggest issue with the Mystic Kit is that it has a higher cost per salvage than the basic kit, and for the majority of what you are salvaging you're effectively wasting the higher percentage at getting rare materials (like an ecto from a high level yellow text item).

The only Gem Store recommendations I ever make to anyone is to get the Copper Fed Salvage-O-Matic. It's account bound, unlimited uses (cost a bit of copper per use) and then you can keep a Mystic Kit for breaking down your yellows. The second is the Watchwork Mining Pick, as you have a chance at getting watchwork sprockets each whack on a mining node, it's also account bound and has unlimited uses and works on all nodes. I mine every node I see and I get enough sprockets per week to sell of about two stacks of the sprockets. A stack of 250 sells for about 6g. That's a free 12g per week on top of everything else I sell. I make about 100g per week in sales, and I only play a couple of hours in the evening. Of course, I'm obsessed with money making atm and live in the silverwastes and orr.
    Thanks for the advice. :)

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

maji said:
    This is the stuff I got.

For the boosters go get some boost powder from the skin vendors in the LA vault. You can turn them into '?' boosters and are able to select the type of boost you want. The birthday booster and item boosters don't work, but xp boosters and crafting boosters, etc work with the powder.

The transmutation stones are able to be turned into transmutation charges at the rate of 3 stones per charge. So you have 3 charges sitting in your bank being useless. Transmutation charges are part of the wallet.

The heart pendents can be sold or salvaged if able, otherwise destroy. Old armor and weapons are pointless to keep. Once they are account bound you get the skin and can just select from the wardrobe selector.

You have a transmutation charge in your bags, use it and have it go to the wallet.

The crafting materials in your bags and bank, either use them or sell them on the TP. My motto is, only craft what you need, keep what you can in the collectibles storage and sell the rest.

You have some runes/sigils in your bags. Sell them.

Keep the instant repair canister on a character and use it next time you die.

You have a WvW trap in your bags. Either go use it or get rid of it.

The 48 flaming stones are either trophy items from an event or are vendor trash, either way, get rid of them.

You have mystic stones in your bag, keep them in the bank and use them when you need them. They are most commonly used in making Mystic Salvage Kits at the rate of 3 stones per kit.

The mini queen jennah. Add her to your minis storage, right click and add to collection. If you have it already you can get rid of it. 

That should cover most of it.
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    As said above and from looking at your screenshot most of the stuff you got in inventory is next to worthless. 

Finish crafting any item you can. Dowels in your bank? No, dont do that. 

Those "hearts" in your bank is worthless. Just sell/salvage. 

I would just move anything you have into inventory and sell all of it on TP or to a merchant. 

There is not alot of things worth keeping in GW2.

Deposit your crafting materials and sell or salvage any other items. 

Make sure to check out the sell price on the TP before you salvage or sell to a NPC. 

If you get a exotic gear/weapon piece, check the price on TP and check what Rune/Sigil is on it. 

You will eventually get a blaack lion kit from log in rewards which lets you get a 100% chance to get Runes/sigils. 

Sometimes weapons or gear you get go for cheaper than the actual rune/sigil that is on it. So when you see that you want to use, or wait until you get a black lion salvage kit. Which if RNG is on your side, you will get 1-3 gold more than just selling the gear on TP.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Also consider increasing your bag size.  If you don't want to craft them 15 slot leather bags are a little over one gold on the auction house.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, welcome back to GW2, where inventory management is the primary focus of the game.  When will devs realize that quantity < quality?

You can also create your own guild, then try to raise the influence and research the stuff that gives you a guild bank.

You can also sell those black lion chests, and whenever you get a key, just buy one from the TP for like 18c or whatever they go for.  They are dirt cheap anyway.
    maji said:
    This is the stuff I got.

Lets see now, you have plenty of crafting components, they should go. You can click the transmutation stones to get transmutation charges (and use the 1 full you have, they are saved in the wallet). The mini can be stored in collections, right click it. Save the boosters and black lion ticket scrap in the bank. Get rid of the 48 fire stones, they are trophies for a heart. 

The 5 mystic forge stones are great, put 3 of them with a full blue, green and yellow salvage kit in the mystic forge for a 250 uses mystic salvage kit.

Salvage any weapon and armor you don't plan to use.

And try to go to 15 bags, they are cheap. 

observer said:
    Yeah, welcome back to GW2, where inventory management is the primary focus of the game.  When will devs realize that quantity < quality?

You can also create your own guild, then try to raise the influence and research the stuff that gives you a guild bank.

You can also sell those black lion chests, and whenever you get a key, just buy one from the TP for like 18c or whatever they go for.  They are dirt cheap anyway.
    The funny thing is that GW2 is one of the games that have least problems with this due to the collections at the bank, most MMOs are far worse.
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Hmm, also its valid to create your own guild and use its bank to depoit stuff.
    Its 1g and may take a while to unlock the guild bank but its worthy. ;) 

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I think that was one of the things that really bugged me about GW2. Even for a game I payed for the inventory was so damned tiny, especially if you were crafting. But then that's the problem with buy to play, the company has to come up with something for you to spend money on.
    As if p2p have infinite storage.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

I think that was one of the things that really bugged me about GW2. Even for a game I payed for the inventory was so damned tiny, especially if you were crafting. But then that's the problem with buy to play, the company has to come up with something for you to spend money on.
    As if p2p have infinite storage.
    A few have, like EQ2 (not inifinite but dang close). However don't I think having 100 slots for stuff (maxed out bags, not bought more slots) is too little. In fact you probably carry several tons if you filled it all up which is pretty silly. And that is not counting the weight of all gold you have.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited September 2015
    What you want to do is.. use whatever laurels you have to buy Tier 6 crafting material bags, they cost one laurel each. Sell everything you get from them on trading post and buy big bags. Easy.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I doubt thats even necessary. Bag space isn't hard to come by, all that is needed is a little gold, and getting 15 or 18 slotters should be more than enough for a number of weeks.   If you're already level 80 just run a couple dungeons.  No reason to waste laurels.  You can craft them as well if you're into crafting.  Once you start running dungeons, consistently deposit crafting mats and automatically remembering to sell junk every time you hit a vendor, most of the rest will be gear that you're left with.

For gear you either use - break down - or sell.  I find that and runes I receive below yellow are easier to sell to a vendor then see if the market will give you anything for them.  Chances are, if its not yellow or above, don't even really worry about saving them (unless you're still leveling and need them.)

• moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Ok why are some of you complaining about inventory space? And it is not hard to convert some gold into gems for more bag space just fyi, I literally just got a mitheral box leveling up with 18 slots, you can easily start crafting 8 slot bags right away with tailoring please stop spouting nonsense you have no clue about. This game offers far more space quicker then any mmorpg I have ever seen period.
  • skonkskonk Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Go to Lion's Arch and say in map chat,"Any one got any free inv bags for a new player?" and people will donate them to you!