Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you satisfied with your current MMO?

124»

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,342
    Look, i don't care if the silent majority don't share taste with me. That's OK. But there seems to be lots of discontent players who want something else than what the industry keeps pumping year after year. There's market for a few different kind of MMOs than those mainstream ones. I've noticed this on this very forum on similar topics like this one. Some people simply don't find an MMO game for their taste, while some people say they don't have time to play all games they would like. So obviously there are too many of type A games, and too few of type B games. Isn't it too much to ask there was even one type B game for us to play?
  • VardahothVardahoth Member RarePosts: 1,472
    deniter said:
    Look, i don't care if the silent majority don't share taste with me. That's OK. But there seems to be lots of discontent players who want something else than what the industry keeps pumping year after year. There's market for a few different kind of MMOs than those mainstream ones. I've noticed this on this very forum on similar topics like this one. Some people simply don't find an MMO game for their taste, while some people say they don't have time to play all games they would like. So obviously there are too many of type A games, and too few of type B games. Isn't it too much to ask there was even one type B game for us to play?
    According to Axehilt this means we hate all MMORPGs

I Quit.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/436845/page/1 -> http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/436845/what-killed-mmorpgs-for-you/p1

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2316034
    Retired Gamer: all MMORPG's have been destroyed by big business, marketing of false promises, unprofessional game makers, and a generation of "I WIN and GIVE ME NOW" (brought to you by pokeman).

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    I am happy with ryzom. Wish there was a modern version of it, but o well. I can deal with the minor bad points, of no jumping. 
  • Mixx86Mixx86 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Yup. The Secret World never lets me down. Also, dipping my toes into the old Lord of the Rings and Star Wars the Old Republic again. Excellent games all.
  • VardahothVardahoth Member RarePosts: 1,472
    edited September 2015
    Axehilt said:
    Vardahoth said:

1. Why they hate MMORPGs isn't what was being discussed. You feel it's important, but it's not because MMORPGs simply aren't going to be made the way the vocal minority likes -- these games are being made the way the non-vocal majority likes.
    2. Again, you're fixated on the "young" part while ignoring the fact that you're doing exactly as Yasha described in hating modern MMORPGs.  The young part doesn't really matter. The fact that you're behaving as he/she described matters.
    3. Nobody accused you of hating all MMORPGs.  We've said you basically hate MMORPGs.  It's accurate. Getting angry about it won't change that.
    4. Don't look at me regarding the terrorist bit. Either you agree with us that you're doom and gloom, or you agree that the only condition under which you allow the possibility of hope is for the industry to give into your demands.
    1. Your argument is so generic and judgemental. Again just because people don't like the current flavor of MMORPGs does not mean they hate MMORPGs. This is why the "why" is being discussed to help the "clueless" understand.

"hey frank, what good movies came out this month?" Frank replies "none that I liked chuck". Chuck replies "oh, so you hate movies then".

"hey frank, what do you think of chocolate icecream?" Frank replies "I don't like that flavor chuck". Chuck replies "oh so you hate ice cream". Frank replies "no I like vanilla and strawberry and many other flavors, just not chocolate". Chuck replies "oh so you just hate dairy products". Frank gives the /facepalm

DO YOU SEE HOW STUPID YOU SOUND!!!!!!!!!

2. Again you ignore what I said so I will post it for you again. I wasn't fixated on the young part, you were just the one saying this:

Axehilt said:
    • Your response above seems really distracted by the "the problem is with the young people" part of Yasha's quote, but nobody said that's what you did.
    Axehilt said:

YASHA said: "but they try to convince themselves and anyone who will listen that the problem is with the young people, all games now are crap, etc, etc."
    YOU said: "We have said exactly what is wrong with the current state of mmorpg's..."
    RESULT: You're behaving exactly like Yasha said.

And again, if I am "convincing myself and anyone who will listen that the problem is young people", why why why why does it not mention anything about young people in the bullet points of my sig on what is wrong with games today AAAAANNNNNNNDDDDDD why why why why why is the video created by an 18yr showing that I whole heartedly agree with what he has to say.

3. You say I basically hate MMORPGs. This is not true. I like the following MMORPGs:
    • Ragnarok online (before he cash shop and takeover with bots)
    • Priston tales
    • Lineage 2 (c1 - c6)
    I like it when you work together with players. This is clearly lacking in 90% of the games out today and all these "MMORPGs" are solo. There are many other elements that makes an MMORPG that are not in MMORPGs today.

THE POINT IS JUST BECAUSE YOU SERVE A STEAK LIKE THIS:

DOES NOT MEAN I DO NOT LIKE STAKE, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S SERVED LIKE THIS:

4. Such a black and white fallacy. Here read this and learn something:
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white

"You're either doom and gloom, or you agree the industry must give into your demands." Really? There is no, "hey so the industry has been trying the same thing for the last 10 years and many gamers are left unsatisfied, so how about trying something new or different"? There are no opinions? There is no discussion? No with you everything is black and white.

I Quit.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/436845/page/1 -> http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/436845/what-killed-mmorpgs-for-you/p1

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2316034
    Retired Gamer: all MMORPG's have been destroyed by big business, marketing of false promises, unprofessional game makers, and a generation of "I WIN and GIVE ME NOW" (brought to you by pokeman).

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,531
    deniter said:
    There is a pool of discontent players, but until enough of them want all of the same thing and then make those needs publicly known and communicate their their niche group is financially viable, then it won't matter.

A good example of this is Camelot Unchained. Marc Jacobs seemed to think there was a viable niche that wanted a DAoC reboot. He'd heard enough unified calls for that to at least poke his toes in the water and investigate. That eventually led to a successful Kickstarter campaign and continued development. It was the fans that had to let him know that they wanted a DAoC reboot though. He wasn't just going to flush millions of his own, and others, money down the drain without a reasonable chance of success.

Saying you are discontent. Asking for oldschool features. Providing a laundry list of features isn't going to do it. It's not enough. I don't exactly know how you get that demographic all on one page, but that's not my problem. I'm in the top 15% that is very happy and doesn't have enough time to play all the games there are available. That's up to you. If you really want it then let that motivate you. If you're not that motivated then take what's offered.
    Vardahoth said:
    According to Axehilt this means we hate all MMORPGs
    See it's that sort of juvenile response that will end up with you spinning your wheels in frustration. If you can't be honest enough to acknowledge the reality of the situation then you're basically robbing yourself of the power to deal with it. Lashing out at others gets you nowhere.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Vardahoth said:
    1. Your argument is so generic and judgemental. Again just because people don't like the current flavor of MMORPGs does not mean they hate MMORPGs. This is why the "why" is being discussed to help the "clueless" understand.

"hey frank, what good movies came out this month?" Frank replies "none that I liked chuck". Chuck replies "oh, so you hate movies then".

"hey frank, what do you think of chocolate icecream?" Frank replies "I don't like that flavor chuck". Chuck replies "oh so you hate ice cream". Frank replies "no I like vanilla and strawberry and many other flavors, just not chocolate". Chuck replies "oh so you just hate dairy products". Frank gives the /facepalm

DO YOU SEE HOW STUPID YOU SOUND!!!!!!!!!

2. Again you ignore what I said so I will post it for you again. I wasn't fixated on the young part, you were just the one saying this:
    And again, if I am "convincing myself and anyone who will listen that the problem is young people", why why why why does it not mention anything about young people in the bullet points of my sig on what is wrong with games today AAAAANNNNNNNDDDDDD why why why why why is the video created by an 18yr showing that I whole heartedly agree with what he has to say.

3. You say I basically hate MMORPGs. This is not true. I like the following MMORPGs:
    • Ragnarok online (before he cash shop and takeover with bots)
    • Priston tales
    • Lineage 2 (c1 - c6)
    I like it when you work together with players. This is clearly lacking in 90% of the games out today and all these "MMORPGs" are solo. There are many other elements that makes an MMORPG that are not in MMORPGs today.

THE POINT IS JUST BECAUSE YOU SERVE A STEAK LIKE THIS:

DOES NOT MEAN I DO NOT LIKE STAKE, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S SERVED LIKE THIS:

4. Such a black and white fallacy. Here read this and learn something:
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white

"You're either doom and gloom, or you agree the industry must give into your demands." Really? There is no, "hey so the industry has been trying the same thing for the last 10 years and many gamers are left unsatisfied, so how about trying something new or different"? There are no opinions? There is no discussion? No with you everything is black and white.

Right it doesn't mean they hate MMORPGs. It means they basically hate MMORPGs. Exactly as Yasha stated.  

No judgements were made, only observations of the size of each player group.

Are you
    like Frank? Do you like more than one modern MMORPG? It certainly doesn't seem like it, but sure if there are multiple modern MMORPGs you're satisfied with then you're right that you don't basically hate MMORPGs. Otherwise, your analogy is broken.

I asked you to stop fixating on the "young part".  You claimed you weren't fixated on the "young" part.  Then you re-quoted the quote with only the young part.  See the problem? You're fixated on the "young" part.  Stop it.

"90% of the games today" lacking teamwork is nonsense. I look forward to your extensive list (accounting for 90% of modern MMORPGs) of games where teamwork wasn't highly rewarded (often the only way to get the best gear in the game.) Until such evidence appears, we can dismiss this claim as nonsense.

Of course opinions exist. You don't think we've been discussing your doom and gloom as though it was fact, do you?  We know objectively that the industry is doing quite well still, which is why we know "worse and worse" is simply a baseless doom and gloom opinion.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    First off....Nice poll. Good choices and thought out. FINALLY!!  :pleased:

I'm not playing an MMO right now. Unsubbed from ESO cause I got bored. If and when another pulls me in...awesome. But D3 is entertaining me and FO4 will beyond that.

Time to catch up and wow us MMOs!

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Loktofeit said:
    Rictis said:
    Loktofeit said:
    Currently playing a lot of Pirate 101. Community demographics seem to change wildly based on time of day and even day of week, but people tend to be very social n this game. Been avoiding wikis and guides except for one particular "find 6 around the zone" quest. I like turn-based combat, and this is one of the few that offers it in an MMO. 

EDIT: This forum's feature of putting a person's vote on their post is pretty cool. 
    I really liked Pirate 101, however the questing system just stops at a certain point and restricts you behind a pay wall. Is it still like this? 
    The sell the chapters individually.
    So in other words, to directly answer the question, no. Nothing has changed
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    edited September 2015
    DMKano said:
    Since I play a lot of MMOs I'd score them in multiple ways, but I'll just pick one which I love and continues to exceed my expectations - Trove.

Trove is love :)
    Playing Trove myself. It's an absolute blast. Also playing a good bit of Rift and Defiance, and dabbling in a little bit of WildStar. I have The Secret World downloading now, so I'll be giving that a whirl as well. 

I don't think I could ever be 100% satisfied with one single MMO, but playing a few seems to scratch my different itches.
  • stio89stio89 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Currently playing Defiance, really enjoying it even bought a few months patron, Its like the only real shooter mmo out there and when I play it I get this fallout/borderlands/mass effect vibe which is a big plus. Definitely recommend it.
  • lastingklastingk Member UncommonPosts: 3
    It feels like there is no game that gives you a real goal. For example Tera, you only spam pve dungeon make gear or gw2, you just I dont know meanless pvp or something I didnt even undertand. If anyone of you know twelwesky2 you know what real pvp means. That game got a shity pvp system but It was fun. Doing pvp was giving you honor that you can spend on stuff to make money and also doing pvp was for own city.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    edited September 2015
    Deasant said:
    Loktofeit said:
    Rictis said:
    Loktofeit said:
    Currently playing a lot of Pirate 101. Community demographics seem to change wildly based on time of day and even day of week, but people tend to be very social n this game. Been avoiding wikis and guides except for one particular "find 6 around the zone" quest. I like turn-based combat, and this is one of the few that offers it in an MMO. 

EDIT: This forum's feature of putting a person's vote on their post is pretty cool. 
    I really liked Pirate 101, however the questing system just stops at a certain point and restricts you behind a pay wall. Is it still like this? 
    The sell the chapters individually.
    So in other words, to directly answer the question, no. Nothing has changed
    If we're going to call a paid expansion a pay wall, then sure. I agree, and I'm glad you went there, sir. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member UncommonPosts: 1,469
    Nope, the devs made it their prerogative lie and avoid direct answers as much as possible. Nothing turns me off more than those in a position of power making every effort to be misleading, with no other purpose than to be misleading.
  • SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I LOVE my current MMO!!

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Yes between FFXI and FFXIV I m happy as all can be.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    And you are in the minority, more people play mmorpg than ever before, new titles come out offering high quality products.  Eso, gw2, wildstar, ff14, archage, TSW to name a few.  If a group of people both hate everything new and want change then they are screwed- their tastes have changed and the world has moved on, but they can't face that idea and keep clinging on to the doom and gloom blaming the world while praying for change (that they hate)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    YashaX said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    As limited as the poll is, I'm surprised it's skewed positive.  My starting hypothesis was that it was gonna skew negative based on the overall negative threads.  Kinda refreshing that it isn't all gloom and doom. 
    There seems to be a group of people on these forums that basically hate mmos, but they try to convince themselves and anyone who will listen that the problem is with the young people, all games now are crap, etc, etc.

From what I have seen they tend to keep posting similar threads about how bad everything is and basically troll their own threads to keep them alive, which is probably why it looks like everything is doom and gloom. 

You rarely see long threads about how great something is because those tend to die out quickly. Most threads don't get much airtime without  a voice of dissent or an old man with a chip on his shoulder about the younger generation, reminiscing about the days of yore and/or ranting excitedly about a game years from release that promises to bring back the days of his youth.
    Clueless.
    Nope he is spot on and I see you just outed yourself as one of those he is talking about. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,888
    I just had 21 collaboratively-designed missions approved for production, representing a five-year creative span for me, and suddenly I find myself in the honeymoon phase again.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 4 tracks in Distance

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    ArcheAge is my current home, 1 year pass and i dont expect leaving soon.

1 year playing every day and still love it, that must mean something nowdays  :)
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,629
    Jabas said:
    ArcheAge is my current home, 1 year pass and i dont expect leaving soon.

1 year playing every day and still love it, that must mean something nowdays  :)
    This is awesome regardless of the negativity .
    I have yet to play the game along with ESO, not because of feedback on this site. A lot of games to fit in and balance out my life.
    Real Fans of Chess don't get bored!
    Real Fans of Soccer don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of Baseball don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of MMORPGs don’t get bored!
    What's your excuse?