Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: New PCU Record

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

EVE Online has announced that they have broken their own Peak Concurrent User record, this time breaking 23,811 players online, playing at the same time. They are chalking this feat up to a recently installed piece of new hardware.

New hardware greeted by a new record

At 20:34 yesterday EVE players broke their own Peak Concurrent Player (PCU) record with 23.811 playing at the same time. This time the record was set on the recently installed IBM Dual Processor 64-bit Opteron Blade Servers providing for a noticeably smoother experience for all.

For more on EVE Online, click here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• lsutiglsutig Member UncommonPosts: 92

and tomorrows news....

New hardware greeted by a new record

At 20:34 yesterday EVE players broke their own Peak Concurrent Player (PCU) record with 23.812 playing at the same time. This time the record was set on the recently installed IBM Dual Processor 64-bit Opteron Blade Servers providing for a noticeably smoother experience for all.

dont mean to be rude but do they need to announce every time they hit a new peak?

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Why not, it keeps people excited and it shows growth. I dont like when they do it every 50 or so people (like they used to), but they are better about it now.

• CowinspaceCowinspace Member Posts: 671

Originally posted by lsutig
    and tomorrows news....New hardware greeted by a new recordAt 20:34 yesterday EVE players broke their own Peak Concurrent Player (PCU) record with 23.812 playing at the same time. This time the record was set on the recently installed IBM Dual Processor 64-bit Opteron Blade Servers providing for a noticeably smoother experience for all.

dont mean to be rude but do they need to announce every time they hit a new peak?

Thats like asking why a sprinter has to collect every gold medal they win.

Big up Eve, good to see the new server holding up well.

• archer75archer75 Member UncommonPosts: 157

Originally posted by lsutig
    and tomorrows news....New hardware greeted by a new recordAt 20:34 yesterday EVE players broke their own Peak Concurrent Player (PCU) record with 23.812 playing at the same time. This time the record was set on the recently installed IBM Dual Processor 64-bit Opteron Blade Servers providing for a noticeably smoother experience for all.

They don't. Not every time.

Tribes 2 is back!!!! http://www.tribesnext.com/
    And from the makers of tribes: Fallen Empire: Legions http://www.instantaction.com/

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

The amount of players went up by around 800, which would translate into about 2400 new user sign ups since the last record of a few weeks ago. They usually don't post the new PCU records so often but this is the first increase since the new hardware went in and as such, the first major test of the system.

Personally, the next really big milestone they have to hit is 30k PCU. That will definitely be worthy of an announcement.

• peteqpeteq Member Posts: 1

Only chat is for all players online.

I want to see what happens when 2000 or more players decide to go same system at same time?
    I wonder what the news is then?

I think PCU record is misleading, any instant msging service will beat it anyday.

• BeastageBeastage Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by peteq

I want to see what happens when 2000 or more players decide to go same system at same time?
    I think PCU record is misleading, any instant msging service will beat it anyday.

Cause obviously... a mmorpg is just as simple as text msging service, common whats the logic in comparing the two?

EvE servers have to deal with... trillion of calculations every seconds and gigabytes of data moving in and out.

YO YO YO

• LardarzLardarz Member Posts: 55

some systems regularly have 700 players in them and with the new hardware this isn't causing any particular problems

-----------------------------
    'Argueing with an Eve player is like argueing with a religous nut. '

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229
    While there haven't been 2000 players in the same system (highest I've personally seen was 500 or so - EVE has 5000 visitable systems), there *have* been fleet battles of upwards of 200 players fighting each other, all on the same grid.

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• xavioronassixavioronassi Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Stradden

...a recently installed piece of new hardware.

lol.... what was it? 74 dual-core Opteron blades and another 128GB RAMSAN storage box delivered to players eight hours early? "new piece of hardware"... image I know you're just trying to avoid hyperbole, but surely you can do better than that?

Multiple rounds of bree to CCP, I say image

Xav

• leipurileipuri Member Posts: 559

Even if server ran smoothly your client and connection would probably be bottleneck.