Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The end of a era!

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    I still think there's a market for western movies and TV, just I believe there is a sizeable market for full featured virtual worlds that goes against the preferences of the masses.

The right developer will come along and capitalize on it, just a matter of time.

Also it is still possible the tastes of younger gamers who enjoy these shallow current titles will mature some and the masses may just demand something better.

I await the better days ahead.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• faidedfaided Member UncommonPosts: 111
    xpowderx said:
    For many years now I have played, been involved, and progressed the genre of games we call MMORPG's.  I started in 1997 with my first game Asherons Call.  From there I moved to Everquest. 
    I only have one question. How were you playing AC in 1997 when it was released in 1999, after Everquest?

UO was released in 97 and EQ in 99 along w/ AC -
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    edited September 2015
    faided said:
    xpowderx said:
    For many years now I have played, been involved, and progressed the genre of games we call MMORPG's.  I started in 1997 with my first game Asherons Call.  From there I moved to Everquest. 
    I only have one question. How were you playing AC in 1997 when it was released in 1999, after Everquest?

It was called knowing developers personally back then.  As many of my friends were developers in that era.  I worked for SSI in the mid to late 80ies.  Was a well known CON regular for FASA/Batletech.  And was in at the right time when PNP/Board games were being converted to video games.  Had alot of friends back then before marriage :-P  I grew up in the heart of silicon valley.  Sunnyvale,Mountain View.

The day I left that state I had received a job offer from EA :-D  As some of my friends left for that company.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    xpowderx said:
    faided said:
    xpowderx said:

It was called knowing developers personally back then.  As many of my friends were developers in that era.  I worked for SSI in the mid to late 80ies.  Was a well known CON regular for FASA/Batletech.  And was in at the right time when PNP/Board games were being converted to video games.  Had alot of friends back then before marriage :-P  I grew up in the heart of silicon valley.  Sunnyvale,Mountain View.
    SSI

Roadwar 2000,  Kampfgruffe, Pool of Radiance etc. etc.

ah the memories ;)

@xpowderx ;Did you work on any of those titles?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    edited September 2015
    laserit said:
    xpowderx said:
    faided said:
    xpowderx said:

SSI

ah the memories ;)

Play tested EOB,EOBII, Renegade Legion.  Most of the time we ll sat around after work and gamed pnp late into the night.  Although I did a little work with some of the earlier conversions(if you want to call it that) with Panzerleader ect.
    xpowderx said:
    laserit said:
    xpowderx said:
    faided said:
    xpowderx said:

SSI

ah the memories ;)

Play tested EOB,EOBII, Renegade Legion.  Most of the time we ll sat around after work and gamed pnp late into the night.  Although I did a little work with some of the earlier conversions(if you want to call it that) with Panzerleader ect.
    SSI, Microprose, Origin Systems, Sir-Tech, Sierra, Koei etc. So many great developers back in the days when people would look at you funny if you told them you played computer games.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Axehilt said:
    PC gaming has stayed pretty constant. It's only "falling" when compared with the fast-growing mobile market.

If you're a PC gamer who feels like the platform offers the best gaming experiences, then whatever happens in mobile just isn't relevant to you because you're enjoying the games you like in a market that has held steady.

2013e

2015e

Changes shown:
    • PC gaming's share fell from 39% to 37%
    • PC gaming's revenue grew from $27.5Bn to $33.7Bn
    Panicking about the death of PC gaming, or mis-characterizing it as "once dominant" are inaccurate and unnecessary.
    True but far more people have PCs by now. Sales of PC are down while mobile platforms are up.

PC gaming aren't dying, the worst threat to PC have been a few consoles (particukarky PS2) and the Amiga (it really kept PC gaming down in the late 80s). But it have stopped growing and more gamers will move over to IPAD and similar systems.

PC will still be around but the larger games will mostly be multiplatform games (to maximize earnings, we already seen the market getting there for a while), I think that PC gaming will slowly regress to what it was in the late 90s, still rather popular but considered a bit nerdy.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:
    I still think there's a market for western movies and TV, just I believe there is a sizeable market for full featured virtual worlds that goes against the preferences of the masses.

The right developer will come along and capitalize on it, just a matter of time.

Also it is still possible the tastes of younger gamers who enjoy these shallow current titles will mature some and the masses may just demand something better.

I await the better days ahead.
    Come on now, it was the older gamers who embraced the change (WoW, LOTROL, etc) and left their old games for it. hence why even those older games were changed to better reflect the changes WOW and Etc.. brought with them.. Everyone I know from past guildies, to real friends who played older MMO's, are 30+ and still play these games today.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    There is an idea that all gamers as customers are interchangeable, because they are called "gamers".  Not all games are going to appeal to everyone, and there are separate markets within the overall "gaming" market. 

Trying to get crossover customers isn't going to work as often as some people might think.  Increasing market share isn't always going to work.  It's a mistake to cater to a given crowd if that crowd is fundamentally not interested in your style of game.  Changing (or destroying) a genre does not result in growing a genre.  It just muddles definitions.

Make a fun game.  Don't worry about trying to second guess what customers want.  Most of the time they don't know what they want either, until you show them.  There's a lot of cart before the horse error going on lately in business.
  • SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243
    edited September 2015
    Kopogero said:

It's like, they saw Blizzard made billions and they thought, hey this is easy, simple...so we can copy it too.

So you're one of those that believe every MMO made after WoW was a WoW clone? What about all the MMOs that came before WoW that inspired Blizzard to turn their RTS into an MMO? Or did WoW come first? My years have all been a blur ;)

Loke666 said:
    Axehilt said:
    PC gaming has stayed pretty constant. It's only "falling" when compared with the fast-growing mobile market.

If you're a PC gamer who feels like the platform offers the best gaming experiences, then whatever happens in mobile just isn't relevant to you because you're enjoying the games you like in a market that has held steady.

2013e

2015e

Changes shown:
    • PC gaming's share fell from 39% to 37%
    • PC gaming's revenue grew from $27.5Bn to $33.7Bn
    Panicking about the death of PC gaming, or mis-characterizing it as "once dominant" are inaccurate and unnecessary.
    True but far more people have PCs by now. Sales of PC are down while mobile platforms are up.

PC gaming aren't dying, the worst threat to PC have been a few consoles (particukarky PS2) and the Amiga (it really kept PC gaming down in the late 80s). But it have stopped growing and more gamers will move over to IPAD and similar systems.

PC will still be around but the larger games will mostly be multiplatform games (to maximize earnings, we already seen the market getting there for a while), I think that PC gaming will slowly regress to what it was in the late 90s, still rather popular but considered a bit nerdy.
    I believe that's the wrong way to look at things.

There was more competition for personal computers back in those earlier days. It wasn't MS vs Apple, it was Apple vs DOS vs Commodore vs Atari vs Tandy and a couple more I'm probably forgetting about.

Consoles didn't hold a candle towards Computers back then when it came to complexity and variety of games and simulations styles. Console games were only capable of very simple but entertaining games back then but that has changed today and you could see it coming with the advent of the Xbox and the PS2.

Computers were damn expensive, over 2k in 1980's dollars for a cheap entry level system. You were a pretty heavy gamer to even think of blowing that kind of dough back then.

The advent of home Internet brought an explosion of sales in computers, not for gaming, but for email and internet browsing. Maybe a little solitaire here and a little minesweeper there. A tablet will do you just fine for that and a lot more. Its great that people can be employed and create goods for that market.

Gaming period is mainstream now. The future of Xbox pretty much is a low end windows system, keyboard and mouse capable. The majority of games will be made for consoles and PC's and who cares as long as there are good games to play.

The only time PC gaming will be dead is if there is no more PC and nobody will care because:

a) It will be replaced with something better

or

b) Civilization has come to an end

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    xpowderx said:
    For many years now I have played, been involved, and progressed the genre of games we call MMORPG's.  I started in 1997 with my first game Asherons Call.  From there I moved to Everquest.  Then through the years I played many mmo's.  Star Wars Galaxies, Dark Age of Camelot, the long journey that is World of Warcraft.  Rift, Aion, EVE.. and many others.

In the year 2015 things have changed considerably.  PC gaming once was a dominant force in the gaming industry.  But now with very good console systems, Ipads, Androids, tablets and even your phone.. MMORPG's have come to a turning point.

No longer are the days of intense multiple hour raiding.  The days, weeks, months spent grinding up a character in game. Powergaming, mini maxing, guilds.  The overall community seems to be diminishing at a alarming rate. All those types of mmorpgs seem to be a dying breed.  Replaced by casual games, MOBAS, ARPGs, Idlers, that is the new generation of gaming.

Many players now days like a game where they can log in for a bit.  Play for a while.  Log off,and continue where they left off at a future date.  No longer are the hours to be spent trying to get that one item or complete that one long quest.

Many MMORPG developers are or have converted mmorpgs into a free to play game.  There  is a reason for it.  The writing above explains much of it.  But the biggest reason.  Is gaming has changed!  Games like Wildstar, Rift, EVE, World of Warcraft are a dying breed looking for gasps of air.  In a convoluted ever growing gaming world that offers more and more options to spend your time and money.

A new era of gaming has begun. Consoles, tablets, phones dominate the market.  While it saddens me as a veteran of the mmorpg glory days.  I know there is still much more opportunity for developers to create and envision new worlds and new games for me to explore.  Just wish many more would get up to date with the new technology and new formulas.  Because currently, many are failing due to a formula that no longer works.  A formula that many gamers have turned away from.

I will miss the days of yesteryear. 
    Enjoyed reading this and was nodding along until the last paragraph.  You want MMOs to go to tablets, phones, and consoles?  This I can not agree with.

I wish developers/publishers would make up their minds and stick to ONE thing, instead of trying to be everything to everyone.  Make games for tablets.  Make games for Phones.  Please... please make games for PCs, too.  "Let's make a really intense game and then put it on mobile devices!"

I have missed the days of yesteryear for a long, long time now.

VG

DMKano said:
    @Kopogero the market is full of quality games that millions enjoy. Do you deny this?

Players get exactly what they pay for - why do you think cash shops are so successful? 

Every year MMO market keeps growing in terms of revenue - again do you deny this?

All of the above collectively add up to one undeniable fact - MMO market is thriving more than ever.

There are a few that are disappointed - sure - key word is few, a minority. 

Isn't quality an opinion?

VG

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Loke666 said:

Eh, the shift to mobile shouldn't be overstated. Consider these questions:
    • If you're a PC MMORPG player, are you going to find a better MMORPG experience on mobile?
    • What about FPS players?
    • RTS?
    • RPG?
    • MOBA?
    It's like Consoles vs. PCs. If you enjoy any of the above PC genres, you're simply not going to play them on console (FPS is the only one that comes close; BF4 was apparently played more on PC but I think I saw data for other games where console versions sold better.)

But if you're a fighting game fan, you'd likely prefer consoles since they naturally tend to play better with a friend sitting on a couch across from a TV. (Though arguably you can set up a duplicate experience on PC if you wanted to, and several fighting games have released for PC.)

So each platform (mobile, PC, and console) has its own set of genres that it does well, and there isn't a ton of crossover since one is usually best at each genre. Therefore players aren't just going to shift over to mobile away from their high end MMORPG or MOBA gaming.  Instead, they're likely to pick up mobile games in addition to that experience (because of genre, but probably more because they bought a phone that lets them play in places their PC can't go.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Agreed with you OP but I put the blame square in the shoulder of the devs who create games for their own satisfaction instead of creating the game for the players out there.

I think we need more devs creating games they themselves want to play, instead of trying to make a game to appeal to some broad spectrum. That's when the magic happens. When everything is small and doable. You can build off of that once the foundation is there. 
    Axehilt said:
    Loke666 said:

Eh, the shift to mobile shouldn't be overstated. Consider these questions:
    • If you're a PC MMORPG player, are you going to find a better MMORPG experience on mobile?
    • What about FPS players?
    • RTS?
    • RPG?
    • MOBA?
    It's like Consoles vs. PCs. If you enjoy any of the above PC genres, you're simply not going to play them on console (FPS is the only one that comes close; BF4 was apparently played more on PC but I think I saw data for other games where console versions sold better.)

But if you're a fighting game fan, you'd likely prefer consoles since they naturally tend to play better with a friend sitting on a couch across from a TV. (Though arguably you can set up a duplicate experience on PC if you wanted to, and several fighting games have released for PC.)

So each platform (mobile, PC, and console) has its own set of genres that it does well, and there isn't a ton of crossover since one is usually best at each genre. Therefore players aren't just going to shift over to mobile away from their high end MMORPG or MOBA gaming.  Instead, they're likely to pick up mobile games in addition to that experience (because of genre, but probably more because they bought a phone that lets them play in places their PC can't go.)
    This a good point.  Some games are better on specific platforms.  They seem to fit very well.  I don't look for side scrollers for my PC.

The console/PC aspect is getting very blurred, though.  Not in a good way, in my opinion.  Open World RPGs are a prime example.  They do not translate well to consoles and end up handicapping the PC version to accommodate the console limitations, like 10 buttons and 2 sticks vs keyboards (100+ keys).  Game UI is a big sore spot between consoles and PCs for me, though some players do not mind.

Consoles work best for very limited selections/choices.  PCs open up selections/choices immensely over consoles.  I guess one could surmise that consoles give the developers more control while PCs seem to give players more control, though that could be a grand generalization.

VG

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited September 2015
    Kopogero said:
    DMKano said:
    Masses got no time to spend 8 hours on a raid anymore. 

The genre changed to reflect what majority wants

I see the current state as a resounding example of devs evolving games to what the majority wants

Also indie games like Pantheon are still in the making that will provide minority what they want 

There are more games now to fit all kinds of player needs more than at any point in history 

Everything is exactly the way it's supposed to be 

I disagree, and DMKano NOBODY raided for 8 hours. Raids tend to take 2-3 hours (with breaks here and there). In fact people DO have time to raid because WOW captured huge portion on the market, on the other hand what players don't have time for is games that offer no rewarding for success, regardless if it's a raid you complete or some other task. World of Warcraft lost me when they started investing the wealth they generated from WOW to other products, like their MOBA, their card game, their Diablo 3, project Titan and so forth.

WOW suffered due to the lack of "on time" quality content which was significant to its themepark design. PvP seasons were suppose to also last 3-4 months. The raid dungeons were also far more complex and rich in design...Karazhan, Nax, Wrath of the Lich King and the classic/BC dungeons as best examples.

So, let me put this again clearly, the majority wants quality products, in other words they want to see what they get for what they are paying. Gamers in general are more intelligent, savvy and knowledgable, but even they get hyped and tricked to once a reputable company/product that sold its trust and reputation for short term profits.

And no, there might be more games now to fit all the kinds of players, but they certantly have yet to "fit" for what I, the OP and many others know we can have (thx to our vet experience) insteed of what we have. DMKano, you just continue to enjoy the huge backlog of games you got going and rotating through the week.

I too was more than satisfied for a very long time in my gaming career. I still am, otherwise I would had another hobby, truth is...it's more challenging than ever because when you have such vast background experience, you know what the best is and you want to support those that promote that and nothing less. This is why voting with our wallets is crucial for where we will be 10 years from now, at least for me...

I did a raid marathon is Vanguard and I raided for 13 hours with my guild one Saturday when the wife was out of town. I left and they were still raiding APW. All and all it went on for a total of 18 hours and the raid still wasn't completed. So, don't jump to conclusions. YES! People do raid for 8 years.

It was also very common in EQ for people to raid for hours and hours. It took days to complete some of the raid content in that game.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    laserit said:
    I believe that's the wrong way to look at things.

There was more competition for personal computers back in those earlier days. It wasn't MS vs Apple, it was Apple vs DOS vs Commodore vs Atari vs Tandy and a couple more I'm probably forgetting about.

Consoles didn't hold a candle towards Computers back then when it came to complexity and variety of games and simulations styles. Console games were only capable of very simple but entertaining games back then but that has changed today and you could see it coming with the advent of the Xbox and the PS2.

Computers were damn expensive, over 2k in 1980's dollars for a cheap entry level system. You were a pretty heavy gamer to even think of blowing that kind of dough back then.

The advent of home Internet brought an explosion of sales in computers, not for gaming, but for email and internet browsing. Maybe a little solitaire here and a little minesweeper there. A tablet will do you just fine for that and a lot more. Its great that people can be employed and create goods for that market.

Gaming period is mainstream now. The future of Xbox pretty much is a low end windows system, keyboard and mouse capable. The majority of games will be made for consoles and PC's and who cares as long as there are good games to play.

The only time PC gaming will be dead is if there is no more PC and nobody will care because:

a) It will be replaced with something better
    or
     b) Civilization has come to an end
    I certainly don't predict the end of PC gaming but I think as a platform it will move in a different direction than it have the last 15 years. As for the Xbox it wouldn't surprise me if the Steambox eventually will take it's place, it is as you say a low budget PC by now.

There is also streamed games that really just need a smart TV.

And I agree that as long as there are good games around there is nothing to get worked up about.

PCs in the future will probably be more high end for VR and other demanding games, while many of the simpler games will be moved to mobile platforms. They are already releasing older games from both PC and consoles for mobile platforms and I predict more of that in the future.

The PCs advantage is that you can customize something that blows everything else away and I think PC games will be high end game together with a bunch of cheaper indie games on steam.

I still predict that PC gaming will stand still in numbers while the new platforms will increase though.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    For those worried that PC will die I think it will always have a niche group.  Generally software is still developed using PC because it's hard to work quickly with a tablet interface.  Tablets are generally for consumption of content.  Consoles are also for consumption of content.  PCs are for basically anything you can think of.  The nice thing about Apple devices and Consoles for developers is they don't have to worry about hardware and software issues much.  Everyone uses mostly the same devices.

For the person who said PCs were always superior to consoles I would have to argue that point.  I remember playing games on my PC, Atari, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Genesis.  The Consoles all had superior games graphically and in general it was easier to play games with a controller then an old keyboard and mouse with trackball.  I had to play many games off floppy disks.  The computers I had at the time of Atari - Nintendo were monochrome and 16 colors (CGA) I believe.  The nintendo had around 54 colors I believe and the super nintendo had 256.  For a while the consoles had the hardware edge.  Right now computers have the hardware edge.  They can use console controllers.  They have better video cards.  They have better hard drives.  They have better CPUs.  They have more memory.  All this comes with a cost.  The cost is not just in price.  It is in space, heat, and power consumption.  Is the increase in graphical output worth it?  It's a big drain on energy and the environment just for some entertainment.  It also cost more money to make these games. 

The best part of PC gaming is probably it's indie community.  The PC was started by indie developers and has continued to be an indie platform for people who want to waste a lot of time on their PC. 
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness..."  Dickens 1859

He must have played MMOs.  :)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    lol how many ways can people deny the fact they have just grown out of gaming and moved on.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

lol how many ways can people deny the fact they have just grown out of gaming and moved on.

A Weeknight in the Life of a Middle Aged Man

Come home from the office, have dinner with the wife, scroll through 500 TV channels to see if there is anything on. Turn on PC and play a kick ass game while the wife watches America's Got Talent. ;)

edited September 2015
    lol so very very true :)

Come home from the office, have dinner with the wife, scroll through 500 TV channels to see if there is anything on. Turn on PC and complain that all mmorpg's are terrible now while the wife watches America's Got Talent.  something not quite right now :P

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    I quite literally don't have the time to play everything I want to.

What's ending is the era of the One Ring style gaming.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

lol so very very true :)

Come home from the office, have dinner with the wife, scroll through 500 TV channels to see if there is anything on. Turn on PC and complain that all mmorpg's are terrible now while the wife watches America's Got Talent.  something not quite right now :P
    Yes but how come you aren't watching America's Got Talent? Its an amazingly popular show. It seems that if millions of others love it, you should too. Or are you some stick in the mud that doesn't like to follow popular television trends?

I do believe it is the stick in the muds that are the target audience  actually, oh and those married to gamers like myself :)