Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Gw2 Review after 1-15 F2P.

124»

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Some heart quests are okay, others aren't.  I've finished world completion twice (one of those times when WvW maps still counted)  and once after.  Now I'm on my 3rd world completion at 82%   I've done level 50 fractals, I have all ascended armor on at least 1 character (almost two) and a legendary as well.  (almost ready for my second one, waiting for release of HoT).  I have all classes to 80, and am max PvP rank. I have all crafting professions to 400 or 500 depending on the craft across all of my characters.

That being said the game doesn't appeal to me in all aspects.

The heart quests do get boring. I absolutely dread some of them.. (like the one where you have to get ingredients to mix a potion,  or the one where you have to stop invisible thieves from taking drake eggs)  The level 80 completions -- like cursed shore, malchors leap -- those are fun to complete.  My favorite is running the little maze,  you always find people dying in there and I like to save them.  Not having to deal with heart quests makes the completion faster and more enjoyable.

The actual story quests are boring.  Some of the living story quests are equally boring.  If you are interested in stories thats great -- go for it.  For me, questing is just a means to an end.  If I didn't need karma merchants or world completion I would bypass them all.  What the heart quests and event system really does is add to the atmosphere, which is the only real good thing I find about them.

Not sure why music really comes into play, I find the score to be pretty good. It meshes well with the game... I mean, not any less than any other games out there.  I do hate some of the animation noises, especially the pop guns.

Dungeons are things that I run often.  I like the dungeons and fractals a lot -- they are somewhat tougher.. not by such a large margin after running them for so long with full gear and a great spec,  but I still have fun.  Even if its just a quick play through of AC or if its a full 50 fractal.  Generally the rewards are inconsequential unless its an ascended armor box drop.  I am not one of those guys that solos arah,  I have done it on my engi,  but it takes too long and I am not interested in running a warrior... I have a full spec one at 80 but I am just not interested in a cheesy playstyle.

The mini games I almost never play.  I was hoping they would be different on launch,  I've never really gone back through to play them.

WvW is also pretty boring.  You run with a zerg or you barely get anything accomplished and die to other zergs. 

Structured PvP is really what has me coming back.  I don't play with a dedicated group.. I mostly soloQ.  I love making my own builds and trying new things... I love seeing others use cookie cutter metabuilds and finding ways to counter them.  Its really what I find most fun about the game... and why I log in daily.  

All that being said -- the OPs opinion doesn't really resonate with me so much.  Saying the game is for kids points more towards the older crowd just not being able to handle a progressive combat system.  

Can you tank?  Theres really only two specs,  damage and support.  Tanking counts as support here.. you can taunt, you can block, you can protect and you can heal.  Or you can do damage, high condition, high burst, AOE, single target.  There are builds encompassing these traits for almost every class.  If you can't find a build that works for what you're going for you're either A) not very good or B) not trying.

• TreadworthyTreadworthy Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Loke666 said:

Despite not being a game made for my age group, I was impressed and bought GW2 for my 12 year old nephew.  Now my sister is mad at me because he is playing it too much.  Not sure if it was a wise gift or not.  But he loves it without a doubt.  Now my sister is giving him only a certain amount of time to play it each week, which he seems to be handling well :)  (he's using most of time saturday mornings)
    A wise woman. She can also use it for bribing him to do homework and cleaning up his room for a little extra time. :)

But I am not sure why it would be a game for certain age groups, I know people over 60 that plays. Adding nudity and gore like AoC honestly doesn't make the game feel more mature. As for difficulty, I had a C-64 when I was 13 and a lot of games on it (most in fact) beats anything today.
    Going to let her know to use it as a reward/bribe!  

And of course it doesn't need nudity or lots of gore.   I would say LOTRO is a good example of a mature game without nudity/gore.  And again, there is nothing wrong with anyone of any age playing guild wars 2.  Games are to me much better than sitting around watching television or going to a bar and drinking.  I try to mix up my recreation with other activities as well, but gaming is a main hobby of mine and I represent the 30+ crowd.  

I'll agree GW2 is a great family game for all ages.   I stated solid reasons why I believe it was made for younger players -- lets say pre-teen to early 20s.   Most older mmorpg players I know agree it wasn't made with our specific age group in mind, and the reason for voicing an opinion was to originally defend the original poster who had a similar experience as me.  (however his review did fail to mention many of the well made aspects of the game.)  

In the end, GW2 remains an excellent example of quality.  I would not argue against that after my experience.  But as an adult nearing 40 years of age, with a lot of hard life experience, I couldn't myself see this as a viable option for  my gaming hobby.  

But to be honest, I played team fortress 2 in my 30s and loved it.  Then I turned on voice chat and realized I was entirely too old to be playing that game.!  There was plenty of evidence that it was a game primarily marketed towards "younger" players.  However, I adored it.  I stopped playing it because listening to 12 year olds swear at me with gritty, trucker language just felt wrong. 

Secretly, I turned voice chat off and played it for another 2 months :)  
  • 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited September 2015
    Makes no sense to enjoy a game and then just because you figured out that you were playing with younger people, suddenly you thought that the game wasn't for you anymore. This actually seems immature. :confounded: 

You're gonna find young people in every single video game in existence.

It's weird that you feel that you need to be categorized so much within the video games you play.

One funny thing too, I actually found LOTRO to be a pretty childish interpretation of the LOTR franchise by Turbine artists.

About GW2, if anything, I feel it's targeted to casual gamers compared to the average MMORPG.
    Post edited by 9ineven on
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Loke666 said:

Despite not being a game made for my age group, I was impressed and bought GW2 for my 12 year old nephew.  Now my sister is mad at me because he is playing it too much.  Not sure if it was a wise gift or not.  But he loves it without a doubt.  Now my sister is giving him only a certain amount of time to play it each week, which he seems to be handling well :)  (he's using most of time saturday mornings)
    A wise woman. She can also use it for bribing him to do homework and cleaning up his room for a little extra time. :)

But I am not sure why it would be a game for certain age groups, I know people over 60 that plays. Adding nudity and gore like AoC honestly doesn't make the game feel more mature. As for difficulty, I had a C-64 when I was 13 and a lot of games on it (most in fact) beats anything today.

And of course it doesn't need nudity or lots of gore.   I would say LOTRO is a good example of a mature game without nudity/gore.  And again, there is nothing wrong with anyone of any age playing guild wars 2.  Games are to me much better than sitting around watching television or going to a bar and drinking.  I try to mix up my recreation with other activities as well, but gaming is a main hobby of mine and I represent the 30+ crowd.  

I'll agree GW2 is a great family game for all ages.   I stated solid reasons why I believe it was made for younger players -- lets say pre-teen to early 20s.   Most older mmorpg players I know agree it wasn't made with our specific age group in mind, and the reason for voicing an opinion was to originally defend the original poster who had a similar experience as me.  (however his review did fail to mention many of the well made aspects of the game.)  

In the end, GW2 remains an excellent example of quality.  I would not argue against that after my experience.  But as an adult nearing 40 years of age, with a lot of hard life experience, I couldn't myself see this as a viable option for  my gaming hobby.  

But to be honest, I played team fortress 2 in my 30s and loved it.  Then I turned on voice chat and realized I was entirely too old to be playing that game.!  There was plenty of evidence that it was a game primarily marketed towards "younger" players.  However, I adored it.  I stopped playing it because listening to 12 year olds swear at me with gritty, trucker language just felt wrong. 

It's a personal choice and preference having nothing to do with age.It's a VIDEO GAME!

Is Chess for adults only?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Loke666 said:

I don't understand why people think its a game for a younger crowd.  If by younger you mean a crowd that can handle more action style combat, then your idea of younger is a little flawed.  I didn't like LOTRO, it was too slow... none of the classes meshed well with me.  Most of my guild is  in their late 20s to mid 30s and some are older in GW2.  I actually feel this games curve is a lot more forgiving than other games, which is why it could cater to such a wide audience.  There are high level fractals which would be tough for most experienced gamers,  and there are open world events which are accessible to anyone.  

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited September 2015
    [mod edit]

LOL - NOPE - I mean LS2 has a lesbian love story in it. There is a Transgender NPC in LA. So, no it is not for younger players......
    Post edited by Vaross on

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    edited September 2015
    [mod edit]
    Hypothetical Facts are very common on these boards and your statements couldn't be more clear to have shown that. Though, you will fit right with all the others. This also coming from someone also pushing 40.

Post edited by Vaross on
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    edited September 2015
    [mod edit]
    The fact that you associate nudity with maturity speaks volume of you maturity level. Nudity is not associated with being an adult.

See you have you own opinion and they have theirs. Your opinion is coming from a very flawed and immature premise but it is your opinion. This does beg the question, if you are not interested in the game why are you still here?
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    My god, time to unsub' from this thread :anguished: