Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQNext Vaporware?

Comments

• SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Games i couldn't get into: gw2, swtor, rift, wow, aoc, skyforge, dragon age inquisition, witcher 2, Divinity Original Sin. Those games i never completed and quit right away or half way through and haven't touched for months. We need change bigtime not just a healthy market because some games.....And then EQNext comes along and everyone, EVERYONE is trying to put it in its place. You're right though, the hype died a long time ago and EQN is dead on the vine. I haven't been satified with the replies though, we don't bounce off ideas, Look at H1Z1. The hype train was Totally different from them and it went on and sold 1000000 copies. So hype is a big way to help out your game. Seriously you guys aren't helping...
  • BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Games i couldn't get into: gw2, swtor, rift, wow, aoc, skyforge, dragon age inquisition, witcher 2, Divinity Original Sin. Those games i never completed and quit right away or half way through and haven't touched for months. We need change bigtime not just a healthy market because some games.....And then EQNext comes along and everyone, EVERYONE is trying to put it in its place. You're right though, the hype died a long time ago and EQN is dead on the vine. I haven't been satified with the replies though, we don't bounce off ideas, Look at H1Z1. The hype train was Totally different from them and it went on and sold 1000000 copies. So hype is a big way to help out your game. Seriously you guys aren't helping...
    Who the Hell is paying more attention to what's said on this site more than what the developers are saying (or not saying)?  Other than you, I mean?  No one on this site can create or kill hype.  Only the developers can do that.  No one on has that kind of power but the developers/publishers.  By you trying to point fingers at people, accusing them of killing the game before it's had a chance, all you're doing is confirming that the game is that insignificant to be killed by mere discussion.  Think a little more before you type.
    Blaedus said:
    SyndromofaDown said:
    How do you know about market trends? Did you predict the trend of Sandboxes? Do you work in the industry? Those are the people i want to talk to. Their ideas not yours. What smedley said because hes a pioneer and all you do is take away hard earned titles. You are everything wrong with the genre right now. It is dead. We need hype. You are killing it slowly and soon it will be totally different from what we expected it. EQNext is the savior for up and coming games. Ive been a gamer for 28 years. Back when gamers were outcasts and not armchair status quo enforcers. The MMORPG is dying and you are ensuring its death...
    Are you for real with this shit?

Here's a simple tip.  You wanna talk to the people in the industry?  Go on their own forums and ask your questions.  Don't come onto a public one and spout nonsense like this.  You're at least 28 and you sound a fraction of that age.
    Yes im for real. your conversations Suck!!!....

I want people discussing what the news is and adhering to it not the mental hospital this place is. Cynics, pessismists and lots of downers in general. You guys think your so important than when one of the "people who have jobs" the developers release information all your circle jerking will come to an end, then whos the fool. BOOM.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    How do you know about market trends? Did you predict the trend of Sandboxes? Do you work in the industry? Those are the people i want to talk to. Their ideas not yours. What smedley said because hes a pioneer and all you do is take away hard earned titles. You are everything wrong with the genre right now. It is dead. We need hype. You are killing it slowly and soon it will be totally different from what we expected it. EQNext is the savior for up and coming games. Ive been a gamer for 28 years. Back when gamers were outcasts and not armchair status quo enforcers. The MMORPG is dying and you are ensuring its death...
    Really don't know what you are talking about.

Market trends? You mean like being able to see the public numbers of how many customers games have? Google is your friend. I'm not claiming to "know" people in the biz or whatever.

Who do you know in the industry? What games or accomplishments do they have? I know people in the medical industry, doesn't make them or me the go to source to cure disease. Unless these people you know can predict the future, they don't know anything more than someone that can put two and two together.

No clue how or what titles I'm taking away from.

Clearly you are full steam ahead on the EQN hype train and I wish you luck. 

I've been online gaming for over 20 years myself and again sorry to break it to you, we are not significant. The "majority" are not us.

Maybe you could point out how I'm killing the genre or everything that is wrong with it, but seems like a bit of nonsense.

Honestly don't know if you are comprehending what I'm even saying with how you respond. I'm one of the few EQN fans on here, doesn't mean I'm a blind fanboi that thinks EQN is 100% going to be the bestest game ever and will rain happiness from the sky.

Talk is cheap and at this point they don't even talk much. Lets see what actually happens before getting too excited.
    This is like "the Lord of the Flies" i refuse to go down. Don't worry. The adults will save us...
    edited September 2015
    SyndromofaDown said:
    Yes im for real. your conversations Suck!!!....

I want people discussing what the news is and adhering to it not the mental hospital this place is. Cynics, pessismists and lots of downers in general. You guys think your so important than when one of the "people who have jobs" the developers release information all your circle jerking will come to an end, then whos the fool. BOOM.
    "BOOM"?  Lemme guess, you dropped the mic along with that line?

Discussion of news, you say...  First of all, there's barely any news out there about the game worth discussing.  What little bit there is, has already been discussed to Hell and back.  The same circle-jerking you criticize would be happening anyway.

Second of all, no one (except, again, a select few) thinks their thoughts matter more than what the developers say (or don't say).  What you're doing is giving power to the same people you're criticizing.  Twenty-eight years of age (at least) and you don't know how to ignore that which you don't like?

Lastly, your comments are bordering on fanaticism.  I'll wish you luck with that.  Hopefully, the game you're defending so valiantly will release in the form it was first advertised in.  Believe it or not, that's what the majority of people want, a stellar game.  It's just that not everyone believes it'll happen.

This is like "the Lord of the Flies" i refuse to go down. Don't worry. The adults will save us...
    "Refuse to go down"?  It's not a battle.  Ugh....
    Post edited by Blaedus on
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited September 2015
    Allein said:
    Sorry, apparently i cant read, will edit later
    They said it was in their best interest to take the work in-house and that they no longer had a working relationship with them.

Haven't watched the whole video for a while, but didn't hear any mention of work being "completed" actually far from it and or cash concerns.

When SB decided to close up shop and were no longer available to SOE, makes sense that it would be in SOE's best interest to take the work in-house...doesn't really sound like it was their decision reading what Storybricks had to say.

Although of course if SOE hadn't been sold and what not, it could of been a different story, no idea.
    The down low from the internet is it happened in this order.

1. The Lead Programmer and brains behind SB AI Quit and left SB
    2. For some reason SoE no longer needed or wanted to keep SB contracted to help them finish the AI. I think its because SoE didnt have access to the lead programmer.
    3. SB trys to buy SoE to save them selves with their own set of investors.
    4. CN buys SoE
    5. SB closes their doors.
    6. The now DGC announces their separation from SB and takes the project in house with their own programmers. 

From what I have dug on the net, SoE had no need of SB before they became DGC. With the lead programmer gone they were just as well equipped do finish the AI in house as they were with SB help. At that point SB had nothing left to offer. A finished AI they did not have.

Nanfoodle said:
    The down low from the internet is it happened in this order.

1. The Lead Programmer and brains behind SB AI Quit and left SB
    2. For some reason SoE no longer needed or wanted to keep SB contracted to help them finish the AI. I think its because SoE didnt have access to the lead programmer.
    3. SB trys to buy SoE to save them selves with their own set of investors.
    4. CN buys SoE
    5. SB closes their doors.
    6. The now DGC announces their separation from SB and takes the project in house with their own programmers. 

From what I have dug on the net, SoE had no need of SB before they became DGC. With the lead programmer gone they were just as well equipped do finish the AI in house as they were with SB help. At that point SB had nothing left to offer. A finished AI they did not have.

This fits with what I've dug up as well.
    Allein said:
    Really don't know what you are talking about.

Market trends? You mean like being able to see the public numbers of how many customers games have? Google is your friend. I'm not claiming to "know" people in the biz or whatever.

Who do you know in the industry? What games or accomplishments do they have? I know people in the medical industry, doesn't make them or me the go to source to cure disease. Unless these people you know can predict the future, they don't know anything more than someone that can put two and two together.

No clue how or what titles I'm taking away from.

Clearly you are full steam ahead on the EQN hype train and I wish you luck. 

I've been online gaming for over 20 years myself and again sorry to break it to you, we are not significant. The "majority" are not us.

Maybe you could point out how I'm killing the genre or everything that is wrong with it, but seems like a bit of nonsense.

Honestly don't know if you are comprehending what I'm even saying with how you respond. I'm one of the few EQN fans on here, doesn't mean I'm a blind fanboi that thinks EQN is 100% going to be the bestest game ever and will rain happiness from the sky.

Talk is cheap and at this point they don't even talk much. Lets see what actually happens before getting too excited.
    Not sure what i was saying, sorry if it was taking it out on you. Really don't know but have a good one.
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Nanfoodle said:
    Daffid011 said:

Do you think it is possible that the plan Columbus Nova might have for EQN was to release it in any condition they think will earn them the most money for the least risk?  

No, or DGC would not have come out so boldly and say. "We are making the same game. If we make changes to the current plan we will let you know" Would have been much easier to just come out and say, we are making EQN but it will not be the same game we planed. As an EQN hater I get your question but sorry its just not so. If any changes happen to the development path, it will be because they failed at the R&D they are currently doing. 
    Has DBG ever notified you of major changes, no?  Did SOE notify you of the previous two major changes until well after they took place, no?

Did the company promise they would get more resources as a result of the new ownership just 2 days before they fired half of the company, yes.

history suggests you are wrong.

IIt isn’t in their best financial interest to come tell fans about massive cuts, problems.  At least without something to give hope elsewhere.

Sorry, but what I posted is very plausible and fits the situations very nicely. 

Nanfoodle said:

Based on what?

Daybreak cut Storybricks and nearly 50% of the company at the same time.  Are we to assume they didn’t need or want those employees either?

Trying to suggest that after firing half the company, Daybreak thought they were somehow better off working on Story Bricks themselves makes no sense and sounds like denial.

But people are and have been discussing the news about the game (and lack of).  The problem seems to be you don’t like what people are saying and seem very invested in seeing EQN succeed.  To the point that you think the entire MMO genre depends on it and anyone not supporting it is ruining everything.

Relax mate.  The hype didn’t die because people want the game to fail.  The hype died, because the game looks like it is failing.

Also H1Z1 may have sold 1 million copies, but it has only retained about 50k players (5%).   The game sold on hype, but failed to deliver.  Hype doesn’t help as you are putting it.  A company overselling and under delivering is what is killing the genre.  Players not wanting to pay and spend time in an unfinished game isn’t the problem.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    What I think they should do is keep landmark and add some content to it.  Add combat, maybe a few group things or let the community design some dungeons and what not. 

As for EQN or whats left of it I would scrap it and rebuild it from the ground up.  I have not seen too many happy with the character or graphics in general.  I like stylized graphics but the pics from EQN seem lacking.  Does not seem like story bricks or even the voxel idea is working and I dont think they have the knowledge to fix either one.  I say scrap what you got and give us something more traditional with a few innovations
    jitter77 said:
    What I think they should do is keep landmark and add some content to it.  Add combat, maybe a few group things or let the community design some dungeons and what not. 

As for EQN or whats left of it I would scrap it and rebuild it from the ground up.  I have not seen too many happy with the character or graphics in general.  I like stylized graphics but the pics from EQN seem lacking.  Does not seem like story bricks or even the voxel idea is working and I dont think they have the knowledge to fix either one.  I say scrap what you got and give us something more traditional with a few innovations
    "traditional" and "innovations" don't seem to go hand in hand without one or the other bending quite a lot.

Not sure what i was saying, sorry if it was taking it out on you. Really don't know but have a good one.
    If you don't know what you are saying, time to step away from the keyboard. Just video games.
    Nanfoodle said:
    A finished AI they did not have.
    Tip for future game makers of the world:

Don't base a game and hype around something that doesn't exist.

Would of made all of this a lot less silly.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited September 2015
    Did anyone share this from the Landmark Forums?  

"And on the EverQuest Next front, I announced on the Workshop Show that this week started our process of internal play tests and usability tests for the combat for EQN. Yesterday was the first time members from other teams inside of the company were able to sit down and kill some monsters for the first time and we're collecting great feedback to help us hone in on our goals. Initial responses have definitely let us know that what we have is fun and engaging in the ways we wanted. We will continue to have internal play tests over the next several weeks as we incorporate feedback and continue to polish the systems up."  - Fairan

Sounds like it's not vaporware as of September 4th.  It's just hush mode because I think they learned they announced stuff too soon and smed ruined the hype factor.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

Allein said:

If you don't know what you are saying, time to step away from the keyboard. Just video games.
    @SyndromofaDowndid say to think a little more before you type...
  • Fractal_AnalogyFractal_Analogy Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I think you peeps are looking in all the wrong threads.

There is plenty of hip-hop MMORPG'ing going on. Why hang out here in this flytrap.

The Baby Bells are coming. Go find one and open your thoughts up there.

Daffid011 said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Based on what?

Daybreak cut Storybricks and nearly 50% of the company at the same time.  Are we to assume they didn’t need or want those employees either?

Trying to suggest that after firing half the company, Daybreak thought they were somehow better off working on Story Bricks themselves makes no sense and sounds like denial.

The two are not connected. Maybe if the lead programmer had stayed like Voxel Farms SB would have been retained. But when the main resource you want is gone, why keep spending the money? Like I said from what I dug up on the net, when the lead programmer left they parted ways before they became DGC, was the events of the buy out that triggered the lay off. Two events not connected but announced at the same time. Little digging on the net and you will find the same info. 
    Daranar said:
    Did anyone share this from the Landmark Forums?  

"And on the EverQuest Next front, I announced on the Workshop Show that this week started our process of internal play tests and usability tests for the combat for EQN. Yesterday was the first time members from other teams inside of the company were able to sit down and kill some monsters for the first time and we're collecting great feedback to help us hone in on our goals. Initial responses have definitely let us know that what we have is fun and engaging in the ways we wanted. We will continue to have internal play tests over the next several weeks as we incorporate feedback and continue to polish the systems up."  - Fairan

Sounds like it's not vaporware as of September 4th.  It's just hush mode because I think they learned they announced stuff too soon and smed ruined the hype factor.

It could still end up as vaporware, but they claim development is still continuing so hopefully we will see something more than concept art in the future. 

Though context is important.  This is the same combat system that a few months ago the producer said was just a concept and they had no idea if it would be fun or even work. 

Also in the same workshop as referenced in your post (last weeks), the developers said they are still deciding on how to build the world.  So that isn't done yet either.

It sounds like nothing is done and mostly concepts.  World, classes, combat, AI, characters races, cities, npcs, quests, etc.

Just based on the things the developers are saying it doesn't sound like they had anything they could hype even if they wanted to.  Ignoring all that to conclude that there is some they are now protecting and that is what caused the communication black out appears to be nothing more than wishful thinking.

Food for thought.

How were they able to show video of combat 2 years ago, but they are just now testing combat for the first time?  Something doesn't add up.  Any ideas?

Well, 2015 is supposed to be "the year of EQN".  Whatever that means, they still have over three months left.  I'm...hoping for something really substantial by year's end.  I don't mean a game or playable Alpha/Beta.  I mean some real meaty info.  Something I can really sink my teeth into and say "Ah, that's EQN right there!".
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Daffid011 said:
    Food for thought.

How were they able to show video of combat 2 years ago, but they are just now testing combat for the first time?  Something doesn't add up.  Any ideas?

I thought that the 'game-play video' from the 2013 SOE Live event were not actually game-play videos, but CGI movies that the developers sat in front of, while the video was playing.  Evidence: developers not able to stop in mid-sequence, synchronization of on-screen activities without visible developer input, no visible UI displayed, and rapid (and rather unnatural) on-the-fly camera changes.   I am still convinced that those specific images came not from any game, but from an animation tool used to do character modeling.  That idea was roundly dismissed at the time.

Now, with the very recent Landmark downtime (and subsequent video explanation) while they separated Landmark and EQ:N onto distinct code bases, the statement that SOE/Daybreak had a functional internal EQ:N game server than no-one had seen are shown to be a similar falsification.

No one outside Daybreak has a clear idea of exactly how far along EQ:N may be, or what features it contains or doesn't contain.   While I think there's still entirely too much of EQ:N that is at the conceptual stages, the separation of the code bases actually appears to be a positive step in the life of EQ:N.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Daffid011 said:
    Food for thought.

I thought that the 'game-play video' from the 2013 SOE Live event were not actually game-play videos, but CGI movies that the developers sat in front of, while the video was playing.  Evidence: developers not able to stop in mid-sequence, synchronization of on-screen activities without visible developer input, no visible UI displayed, and rapid (and rather unnatural) on-the-fly camera changes.   I am still convinced that those specific images came not from any game, but from an animation tool used to do character modeling.  That idea was roundly dismissed at the time.

Now, with the very recent Landmark downtime (and subsequent video explanation) while they separated Landmark and EQ:N onto distinct code bases, the statement that SOE/Daybreak had a functional internal EQ:N game server than no-one had seen are shown to be a similar falsification.

No one outside Daybreak has a clear idea of exactly how far along EQ:N may be, or what features it contains or doesn't contain.   While I think there's still entirely too much of EQ:N that is at the conceptual stages, the separation of the code bases actually appears to be a positive step in the life of EQ:N.
    Funny how people say we dont know but DGC has been very clear where they are. We know whats working and what is not. Ask anyone playing Landmark and watches the streams can tell you. Storybricks AI: In R&D will update when they get it working. Voxels: Working well for art, awesome advancments in voxelmancy but still conflicting with Forgelight. Combat: Sucks but they are working on it. They have a focus group testing it now. When its playable it will be in Landmark and we will let you know how well it play. I know I will be putting many hours into seeing if its any better. Sumup: Most of the game is R&D and the fact we have not had an update on that in 8 months. Its not going as planed. Will they get it working? I dont think even DGC even knows for sure. So its clear where we are, 100% clear, waiting. If you dont know this info, you have not been looking.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Daffid011 said:
    Food for thought.

Funny how people say we dont know but DGC has been very clear where they are. We know whats working and what is not. Ask anyone playing Landmark and watches the streams can tell you. Storybricks AI: In R&D will update when they get it working. Voxels: Working well for art, awesome advancments in voxelmancy but still conflicting with Forgelight. Combat: Sucks but they are working on it. They have a focus group testing it now. When its playable it will be in Landmark and we will let you know how well it play. I know I will be putting many hours into seeing if its any better. Sumup: Most of the game is R&D and the fact we have not had an update on that in 8 months. Its not going as planed. Will they get it working? I dont think even DGC even knows for sure. So its clear where we are, 100% clear, waiting. If you dont know this info, you have not been looking.
    Which part of splitting the code base did you not understand?

There will be nothing in Landmark that is EQ:N because they have separated the complete development. Most likely because Landmark is a failure and not much more than a novelty Minecraft type building simulator for a few people with an extreme Lego fetish.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
This discussion has been closed.