Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online | Imperial City was Worth the Wait | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online | Imperial City was Worth the Wait | MMORPG

Imperial City has launched recently and it’s magnificent. I think this has been one of the best launches of a major content update to a MMO that I’ve ever seen. Not only has the launch gone off with very little issues. They even somehow managed to fix a major issue that has plagued the game since its official release, the lag in Cyrodiil. Yes, you read that right, the lag in Cyrodiil is almost non-existent, emphasis on almost.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I still haven't jumped into Imperial City. This is all pretty good news. I honestly felt overwhelmed with work and race schedule lately to have to jump in and respec all my toons. Looking forward to jumping into it soon. Has the "mad rush" of imperial city calmed?
    DMKano said:
    Entris38 said:
    I still haven't jumped into Imperial City. This is all pretty good news. I honestly felt overwhelmed with work and race schedule lately to have to jump in and respec all my toons. Looking forward to jumping into it soon. Has the "mad rush" of imperial city calmed?
    What mad rush? Megaserver technology completely obfuscates any kind of rush so even when there is a rush its impossible to tell unless you can see ZoS internal metrics.

Good point, but......As for not being a PVP fanatic. I want to jump in and have some fun and check things out. Not looking forward to the rolling zerg wave that people are speaking of that was/is continuous at the launch of imperial city. PTR was a much different experience at least to what I played vs. what happens with new content when it goes live. So yes...."mad rush"
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    You sure you didnt just get a new system?....ive barely had any issues in cirrodyll during major combat battles.
    orbitxo said:
    You sure you didnt just get a new system?....ive barely had any issues in cirrodyll during major combat battles.

I didn't have a lot of issues, except for "major" keep battles. Though to be honest, I don't spend most of my time in Cyrodiil. I'm usually there just once or twice a week for a few hours, it's usually primetime EST.
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I was enjoying the article and considered coming back until I read about corpse looting. Nope. Not coming back till that's changed. As a small guild fan, I refuse to be fodder for head-set wearing, 20-man Korean gank groups. Life is too short to earn something then lose it then after time after time. And since I won't be their fodder, and other small guild casuals won't be their fodder, they'll have no one to gank and leave the game, making it a ghost town...again. Fix the dumb mechanic, though, and I won't mind being AP fodder, since it doesn't negatively effect my gaming.
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    did they atleast make it LESS of a grind to max VR ranks? if so ill check it out..i havent played in about a month or so just because VR lvling ranks are like pulling wisdom teeth

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited September 2015
    Zarkin86 said:
    Oyjord said:
    I was enjoying the article and considered coming back until I read about corpse looting. Nope. Not coming back till that's changed. As a small guild fan, I refuse to be fodder for head-set wearing, 20-man Korean gank groups. Life is too short to earn something then lose it then after time after time. And since I won't be their fodder, and other small guild casuals won't be their fodder, they'll have no one to gank and leave the game, making it a ghost town...again. Fix the dumb mechanic, though, and I won't mind being AP fodder, since it doesn't negatively effect my gaming.
    [mod edit]
    "Good" or "bad" at PvP is irrelevant when hugely outnumbered, which is why I mentioned "small guild" vs "20-man" gank squads. I love evenly matched PvP, such as WoW BGs or Hots matches, when the numbers are always even. I lose with dignity there all the time and love honing my skills as a result. But open-world PvP WITH CORPSE loot only encourages zerging gank squads. Pro-tip: If you don't open your mouth you can't put your foot in it.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    did they atleast make it LESS of a grind to max VR ranks? if so ill check it out..i havent played in about a month or so just because VR lvling ranks are like pulling wisdom teeth

Still a horrible grind unless you're a mouth breathing, basement dwelling, neck beard no lifer. They will never see another dime from me until the ridiculous grind is brought down a few notches.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Yes, they cut Xp needed to level by 15% and upped Xp rewards across the board by a lot.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    What makes it awesome to me is that it added so much variety to pvp and yes pve. I can go from solo ganking in the sewers to trio mob grinding to CoD style pvp in the Memorial District. I was saying to my two friends a couple nights ago, 4am, "This might be the best pvp area ever made". Sounds silly, but yeah the IC is pretty special. There is nothing like it in the industry. Couple the IC with Cyrodiil proper you get mmorpg pvp that stands far above the competition.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2015
    Where is the video,all i got from that long article was lag fixed and some talk about pvp of which neither interests me. The couple videos i have seen the game looks bad,no better than Neverwinter Online,maybe even worse.I hate seeing a zone where everything is Blue,one giant color hue because they made global lighting shine blue on everything. https://youtube.com/watch?v=lVGPPXxF8CI watch that and tell me it doesn't look horrible. My god this site is so ancient,have not figured how to post a video,no wonder the author did not either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Playing and loving IC so far ... Tried new dungeon on normal - fun and hard, but cleared. Tried on vet - brick wall into face. Just the way I like it :) PVP ? Dont get me started on PVP. I come home rom work around 23:00, wife gets a hello while comp is booting. B**r from fridge, que to Cyrodill while geting some food annddd Im in IC until 4am. Waking up at 8 am. Rinse and repeat. No regrets. Combination of PVE ( bosses / dolmens / daedra / ) and PVP plus adding - will I die and loose stones or kill and gain - makes it all the more fun. All in all great DLC, great fun. No regrets for paying.
    edited September 2015
    Zarkin86 said:
    Oyjord said:
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]
    There are many ways NOT to lose TV stones. One of the is get better. I know that's out the question though. Another much easier solution is to run with a group. If that doesn't work buy the gear and mats people sell. If that doesn't work run the new dungeons. Those will take you gold though. You are most likely not going to clear and end up a repair bill. Take a pick. 

Imho, it's not ok be bad at an activity, willing stay bad, then complain about the activity. 
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I have to say I am disappointed in in the Timbre of Ryan's article when he got to this sentence "not many games allow you to take items off other players when you kill them, the care bear world our games have evolved into have forbidden it." That term is pretty much derogatory and there are a lot of pve people who are a bit tired of that. they might even fully support this "new world order of mmo's". While it's probably not as big a deal for a forum poster to use it, someone who is representing mmorpg.com should probably not be casting a jaundiced eye toward a particular demographic that comes to this website. Pretty disappointing and pretty unprofessional.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Sovrath said:
    I have to say I am disappointed in in the Timbre of Ryan's article when he got to this sentence "not many games allow you to take items off other players when you kill them, the care bear world our games have evolved into have forbidden it." That term is pretty much derogatory and there are a lot of pve people who are a bit tired of that. they might even fully support this "new world order of mmo's". While it's probably not as big a deal for a forum poster to use it, someone who is representing mmorpg.com should probably not be casting a jaundiced eye toward a particular demographic that comes to this website. Pretty disappointing and pretty unprofessional.
    i agree completely with this. I played DAOC shadowbane UO EQ2 nagafen warhammer etc. You can pretty much say I'm a pvp player to but listening to idiots with a blog on mmorpg.com say crap like this makes me not miss the pvp crowd at all especially some in this forum topic alone bashing people who dont play like them. I didnt bother with this expansion it didnt appeal to me gating pvp and a new zone under more annoying vet ranks to grind out.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    What's the gated pvp?  As for annoying vet levels lt it takes a couple hours of playing (doing anything virtually) to level to max.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Entris38 said:
    What mad rush? Megaserver technology completely obfuscates any kind of rush so even when there is a rush its impossible to tell unless you can see ZoS internal metrics.
    While that's true for the PVE part of the game, it isn't true in Cyrodiil and the IC. The PVP areas do have traditional server-like partitions. They're called campaigns instead of servers but they have population limits and queues when needed.

The non-veteran campaign in particular has queues almost every evening and weekends. They're a bit longer and more frequent now than before the IC release... a bit of a "mad rush" currently in fact.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited September 2015
    Sounds pretty good. Still won't touch this game until Veteran Ranks are removed or easily obtained.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    JDis25 said:
    Sounds pretty good. Still won't touch this game until Veteran Ranks are removed or easily obtained.
    They take about 14 hours of grinding. Maybe a little longer of questing atm.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited September 2015

Zarkin86 said:
    Oyjord said:
    [mod edit]
    That's way too harsh dude. ESO, like it or not, is a general audience MMO, not a niche PVP game. Corpse looting, however limited, is bound to be controversial with a portion of the player base just like it is whenever it's discussed in general MMO forums like in The Pub here.

I personally think it's fine but ZOS missed a chance to make the IC feel a bit a safer for those who want  less risk. When they released the IC with the entry for all 3 alliances always open, this created a "PVP all the time" environment unlike what DAoC had with Darkness Falls. If they had done it so that only one alliance can have access at a time as in DAoC, you'd have a lot of PVP when the IC changed hands and then relative safety while the former alliance had been cleared out (although you never clear it out 100% with some wily stealthers still around.) The more risk-adverse players would then have some times when they could farm stones with less fear of losing them.

Not to mention that the one alliance method creates a better, more focused, community-based atmosphere for doing whatever it takes to gain access and hold it.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• lowthorlowthor Member UncommonPosts: 1
    bcbully said:
    JDis25 said:
    14 hours from VR1 to VR16??? I played almost that long to quest from VR1 to VR2. Or did you mean 14 hours per VR level? Love to know where you grind that gets 16 VR levels in half a day.
  • ojustabooojustaboo Member UncommonPosts: 65
    edited September 2015

While I personally love IC, to say it had few issues makes it sound like they paid you for the review.

Loading screens for the majority of people since launch has been unbelievable. Some are facing 2 to 4 mins between each area.

Some lag is still there in all areas of the game, was doling a daily pledge a couple of nights ago, having to press ultimate 8 or 9 times before it finally went, same with weapon changes.

As you say the Cyrodiil lag has only been sorted due to splitting the players up, that isn't really fixing the problem at all.

In IC, have had weird lag where I'm still getting around 45 FPS, but I'm moving like I'm in syrup. having to relog to clear (top end I7 system, fiber internet)

And again while I love it as I'm heavily into PvP, the OF forums are filled with others who are not.

It would have been much better if they had did what was originally intended and made us fight for access, but due to all the complaints about paying for DLC they couldn't go straight into, they caved and opened it to everyone. This now mean s many non PvP players are understandably annoyed when they have spent two hrs farming stones, only to get ganked by 20 odd enemy PvP players right near their base door and loose 80% of them.

While I'm currently loving it, I do worry about the longevity of it, and if it does succeed, the effect not having to fight over keeps will have to PvP in the rest of Cyrodiil

Drop rates from the new dungeons have been highly criticized on the OF with Zenimax saying they are looking into it, for example one person says on the OF

" I have been farming this for for ~5 days for average 8 hours a day, in and out for quite some time with some top players to make even more time efficient, and we have hardly gotten anything at all"

A few of the many other problems in this

"one of the best launches of a major content update to a MMO that I’ve ever seen. Not only has the launch gone off with very little issues"

Unable to jump in stealth

FPS drop for many

Unacceptable long load screens

Stuttery graphics

Unacceptable long load screens

Crashing back to character select and other crashes (people reporting this have tried with all addons disabled)

Taking so long to log into different IC areas that the enemy has killed you long before you appear on your own screen (unacceptable long load screens)

Severe lag where it takes two seconds before it hits the enemy

UI scaling resetting on new area load

Getting kicked and resetting on 3rd boss of white tower

unacceptable long load screens

Then there's all the unhappy players concerned about their characters nerfs

There's all the unhappy PvE players that didn't understand (due to the way it was advertised) that while IC has PvE, it's really a combination of Pve/PvP, in other words you will face PvP

Oh, did I mention the unacceptable very long load times, for example logging in, going into Cyrodiil, going into IC can literally take over 15 mins at the moment

And most of the above is present in all areas of the game, not just Cryodiil and IC

Not forgetting that the first few days after launch, there were over 3 hr queues to even get into Cyrodiil hence many people didn't even get to see it at launch

So while I agree the expansion is awsome, to say it was smooth, you must have been playing a different game to me, or have been extremely lucky

I just had another great night. My partner a Dragon Knight made a new build tonight. A semi dot build with a two hander. We started at the front of our sewers with 0 Tel Var stones.

We worked our way through our 3 levels killing a couple Ebonheart Pact and looting their stones along the way. We entered the center and decided to head north to the Ebon sewers. I had a feeling people were deep (second/third level) tonight. I had been roaming the top of their sewers earlier, but hadn't seen much. Sure enough we found people we had a couple 2v3s and awesome 2v5. We made about 1000 Tel Var stones by the time we hit the second level. It was time to go. 

Getting out with your stones is were the real fun begins. We went from hunting to being the hunted. We avoided sever larger groups with a couple near scrapes. After about 45 minutes we made it out above ground. Now we had to navigate through the city districts to get back to our sewers. We made it. It was  super run.  From laughs to gettems! to OH SH**@ My partner's new build was awesome. That was just the 1/3 of the night. 

We dropped off our stones and went back up top. We meet another Dragon Knight who jumped in on a couple fights with us. He was kicking ass. After about 15 minutes we invited him to group. The 3 of us ran around the city mowing over anything in our way for another 2 hours. 3v6 w/e We handled it. 

I ended the night by complementing the new guy and telling him anytime he wants to run to pst. I then added him to my friends list, logged off, came here and typed this. 

The Imperial City is Awesome.

edited September 2015
    lowthor said:
    bcbully said:
    JDis25 said:
    14 hours from VR1 to VR16??? I played almost that long to quest from VR1 to VR2. Or did you mean 14 hours per VR level? Love to know where you grind that gets 16 VR levels in half a day.
    Google ESO grind spots and insert your faction name. Buy some xp pots from a guild vendor, and have at it. It's best to do it with a partner for the extra 10% and for bigger faster pulls. 850k /hour should be fairly easy. If you get in a good grove you can pull over 1 million. 
  • LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I like how the title says worth the wait.... I guess that depends when you actually started waiting for this. Remember back when the game released and the excuse was molag bal's forces occupied the city and prevented anyone from entering? That's when the wait started. Seventeen months later you get what was originally promised, as a dlc.... This is why no one respects us gamers anymore =.=