Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Can Teach MMOs - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Can Teach MMOs - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

I’ve been working my through the final Kojima-made Metal Gear Solid over the last week. MGSV: The Phantom Pain is easily on my list of this year’s best games. Not only does it have what’s probably one of the greatest and weirdest first hours in gaming, but it quickly opens up into an excellent mix of mission-based storytelling and pure open world awesome.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    If you guys want to review single player titles great. However, I don't believe or care to hear how all of these games are going to teach MMOs something. You can't just clap your hands together and everything work in a MMO that works in a actiony console title. The tech to incorporate those stealth features would be extremely difficult if not impossible in an MMO setting.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Jyiiga said:
    If you guys want to review single player titles great. However, I don't believe or care to hear how all of these games are going to teach MMOs something. You can't just clap your hands together and everything work in a MMO that works in a actiony console title. The tech to incorporate those stealth features would be extremely difficult if not impossible in an MMO setting.
    Unless its primarily a PvE mmo like Final Fantasy
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Here's to hoping that the huge popularity of Open, Virtual, worlds in our single player games, rubs back into our MMORPGs.

Garriott had the right idea (a virtual ecology) back in the day . I'm hoping we have the tech to make that more plausible today.

I imagine a single server earth sized world one day.... and yes I can dream.

Things like www.outerra.com leave me excited for what can and will come.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Jyiiga said:

At one point, the very existence of the MMO was thought to be impossible too. To shun ideas from other games, simply because they're difficult to make a reality, is to stifle the potential for the MMORPG to evolve.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184
    pretty sure some1 will find a way 2 make it happen after all technology doesnt stand still so who knows whatll happen in 5-6 yrs time?:)
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    laserit said:
    Here's to hoping that the huge popularity of Open, Virtual, worlds in our single player games, rubs back into our MMORPGs.

Garriott had the right idea (a virtual ecology) back in the day . I'm hoping we have the tech to make that more plausible today.

I imagine a single server earth sized world one day.... and yes I can dream.

Things like www.outerra.com leave me excited for what can and will come.
    Having Earth Size worlds is already possible at least (No Mans Sky).  Still gotta populate it though with real players.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Jyiiga said:

At one point, the very existence of the MMO was thought to be impossible too. To shun ideas from other games, simply because they're difficult to make a reality, is to stifle the potential for the MMORPG to evolve.
    There is no studio nor a publisher left interested in evolving the games which were once MMOPRGs.
    The evolution of MMORPGs are mobile games with facebook features and cash shops selling keys to lockboxes to give you RNG for your money. Brought to us by companies that aim to have their investment returned by 150$ founder and alpha packs before the game goes down the drain 4-6 month after release.

• frealmsfrealms Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Jyiiga said:

Unless someone somewhere can develop such divine net code that can cope with the horrible internet infrastructure world wide (save few countries, to be more precise some cities, which means squat in the big picture), or that changes, you can forget such things as viable or feasible. When you have to output to and gather the input of 50+ people around say the same number of NPCs and calculate all that in real time within a response time that won't make the NPC respond to you being detected 5 seconds ago and just now ruining your run, you need a lot of bandwith and a lot of speed. So unless the game is instanced based (like Vindictus, C9 and so on) you end up with either a slower version of gameplay (sometimes with makeup on, like the long animations of Black Desert, TERA or former RaiderZ). Sure, I'd love a lot of things in my MMOs and we do have the technology to achieve them. It's just not widespread enough for it to work yet. Instead of poking your favorite MMO studio about it, poke your Government and Telecom to get off their asses and get on with fiber and decent servers.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    How well does it play on the pc as a port?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    How well does it play on the pc as a port?
    Awesome

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Absolutely terrbile game, looks nice with some good elements but so lazily done and the story is awful even for the usual MGS tripe.
    A review with a bit of objectivity -

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    edited September 2015
    1st picture : imagine Dorito bag to the left hand ,guild wars bandana and guild wars t-shirt. 2nd picture:imagine Dorito bag to right hand and guild wars trousers and MGS V bag & jacket. 3rd picture: Doritos bag to right hand and gw oil tanks ,MGS 5 whole costume and MMO eyepatch. Blog just dinged to the whole new level!

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited September 2015
    I was a bit wary about buying this since I don't usually play shooters and am more into fantasy/medieval settings, but I am so glad I picked it up. So far its one of the best games I've ever played and strangely it feels more like an rpg than many mmos I have played.

Immersive world, supertight and fun gameplay mechanics, deep customization, interesting story, incredible freedom and diverse tools that let you approach any situation in the game from a variety of angles, intelligent adaptive AI... truly an amazing work of art.

Also agree that a similar stealth mechanic in mmos would be amazing.
  • 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162
    So..what Im gathering is that MSG can teach MMOs things that RPGs have had for decades ? Or did someone just need a reason to plug MSG:Phantom Pain.
  • haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    so what can a limited single player game teach MMOs ? anything that is bloody hard to implement in MMOs and would break down if exposed to a multi-player living world !!! you have 1 playable character that can do 2 things - ok one thing ... kill stuff, sometimes with a bit of stealth. all the missions are about infiltrating an enemy base and and either killing/stealing or kidnapping ... basically your kill X/fetch X quests. yes the game looks great but that's about it. you are blinded by the visual effects. there's nothing to learn from it. ok the story might be good, but once you follow the story, you have the same linear experience as any themepark out there ...