Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everyone will play Pantheon !

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Dakeru said:
    I am completely with delete, on this one. 

It should be about the game and not who made it, person, corporation or otherwise.   All you are doing in that case is excluding yourself from a game you might possibly enjoy.  And that makes you, the only loser in that scenario.

Hell, I would even play Renfails game if it was my thing, even though I detest the guy! ;)
    My quote was a bit too long. It was about the toy and the icecream.
    His comparison is: I don't want free item B because you didn't give me free item A first!

Do you really feel that comparison applies to the situation here?

The toy and the ice cream was about being spiteful and only hurting yourself because of it...It's a good example.

How in detail do I have to go ?

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Doubt it will appeal to me. I always thought that EQ was successful despite MC Quaid not because of him. It had some truly egregious mechanics. Subsequent outings where riddled with excess and self indulgence, astonishing that vanguard (for example) ever saw the light of day. 

Anyway 'hardcore' and 'challenging' don't mean camping for 28 hours straight for your turn at getting Jboots or a lowly shop keeper NPC running clean across a zone and one shorting your 'hero' due to borked faction system. I wonder if they can reconcile 'challenging' and 'fun'. Up until now challenging has been synonymous with grind and random (often un avoidable) harsh punishments. That's of course if it ever gets made, fuscal control is not a strong suit of the jolly green ranger.

Still I hope my concerns are unfounded in which case I'll be there.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Ya I'm sure EQ and Vanguard shared so many similarities "despite" McQuaid. Its all just a big coincidence that the three games he has been involved with were fundamentally the same. Think what you want, but you aren't kidding anyone else.

• KabonKabon Member UncommonPosts: 78
    edited September 2015
    I agree to the OP and i disagree to all naysayers .

But id like to add im tired of all the stupid discusions where ppls post like they know it all ... they use the therm we ... as if they know others so well .. and so on .. its really going on my nerves.Sure a Game never will be liked by all folks ..sure a Mmorpg in a Fantasy world with Magic isnt everyones cup of Coffee but i tend to believe that many that like such Games will fall for Phanteon if its done right (which i really hope).

And i believe that Virtual Worlds are our Future it will be the Hype in a few years or more .. but im sure the new to the Genre Players will someday see all the fake Storytelling and fake Freedom in todays Mmorpgs its very linear and its not as Free as you believe ,there are much more options aviable by non Storytelling Games thats when old time Mmorpgs will start to really shine again. Since thats where you can mostly do what you like and arent lead by your nose by a,,,... for New players invisible Story Line. There are no drawbacks no consequences in todays Mmorpgs you could kill an entire virtual city and nothing would change complete millions of quests the world doesnt really change it just switchs a you got enough faction to use reward npc switch,... these worlds dont feel real. Decisions should have consequences but as it is there none.

To me Playing all thoose new hyper Movied Cutscened dialogues overquested Mmorpgs out there are like a Movie i dont like and i dont want to see and i exactly know the ending. Its just plain boring to play such Games since there so very few limited possibilites for players everyone will end the same everyone will be the same everyone will have the same thers no difference its Linear. ANd if they really would make enough possibilites to be different with all the Storytelling they would prolly need 5000000000 Billion Dollars to satisfy my needs.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited September 2015
    OK, I'm sold...I'm going to go download and play it now..........Oh wait!

This is a Brad Mcquaid title?

With the same "faith" you are saying everyone will play this game, I'm going to believe no ones going to be playing this game........ever. But at least Brad will be grateful for the backing all the same.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Going off of concept alone, I'd much prefer to try something like Chronicles of Elyria. Goes above and beyond the "old school" time sink for time sink's sake design that they seem to be going for with Pantheon.

Hope Pantheon turns out well for those looking for such a thing, but I tired of EQ back in the early days and VG just wasn't up to my standards. The next attempt doesn't sound much more exciting.

While I'm only one, I won't be playing Pantheon for numerous reasons, but it is foolish to believe there is one size fits all anyway. Only way "everyone" is going to play a game is if it has "everything" which includes all the things that Pantheon doesn't stand for.

If "everyone" is a group of a select "true mmo fans" or whatever, maybe. Gotta get it out the door first though.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Dullahan said:
    The difference is Pantheon actually sounds good on paper which is more than any other game released or in development has going for them. Not sure how people don't understand that.
    Chronicles of Elyria?

You do understand that "good" is subjective right?
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Lot of games looked and sounded great on paper and still failed big time. Nothing new to see here.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Brenics said:
    Lot of games looked and sounded great on paper and still failed big time. Nothing new to see here.
    I can't name a single one that I liked that failed due to design philosophy. While good may be subjective, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the fans of Pantheon and EQ/VG haven't seen any of these failed games that sounded fantastic in theory.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

The toy and the ice cream was about being spiteful and only hurting yourself because of it...It's a good example.

How in detail do I have to go ?

Well I am greatly amused by your logic so let me do the details for you.
    Brad didn't give anything for free like you suggest nor will he do it this time.

The more suitable comparison would be:
    Brad sold me a toy last time and a lot of the things it was supposed to do just didn't work right.
    Now he is selling icecream and I am hesitant to buy because knowing him it will taste bad.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Hate to tell you this... but considering yourself an old-schooler is like accepting the fact that your a dinosaur... because that is what an old-schooler is... someone who did it the old way... not necessarily the best way.

Times have changed and so have you... sure the memories are still there... I still talk about things like they were yesterday and it's been a good 30+ years since then.  Doesn't make the memories any less, but the times have indeed changed.  You may want platform shoes to make a comeback, or 8-track tapes, or disco... but reality is, that was then, this is now.

You're guaranteed to be disappointed when your dream game is made up of your memories of the past.  That is an absolute.  It's why you see all new MMOs as quick-fun-fun games... because your the one playing them like that.  You can't be bothered with leveling slowly if you know everyone else is at max level.  That's a "you" issue, not a "game" issue.  And that mindset is a product of being an old-schooler.  You are your own worst enemy when it comes to gaming when you lust for the past.
    edited September 2015
    Pepeq said:
    Hate to tell you this... but considering yourself an old-schooler is like accepting the fact that your a dinosaur... because that is what an old-schooler is... someone who did it the old way... not necessarily the best way.

Times have changed and so have you... sure the memories are still there... I still talk about things like they were yesterday and it's been a good 30+ years since then.  Doesn't make the memories any less, but the times have indeed changed.  You may want platform shoes to make a comeback, or 8-track tapes, or disco... but reality is, that was then, this is now.

You're guaranteed to be disappointed when your dream game is made up of your memories of the past.  That is an absolute.  It's why you see all new MMOs as quick-fun-fun games... because your the one playing them like that.  You can't be bothered with leveling slowly if you know everyone else is at max level.  That's a "you" issue, not a "game" issue.  And that mindset is a product of being an old-schooler.  You are your own worst enemy when it comes to gaming when you lust for the past.

All new mmos are quick-fun-fun games, it's how they are made.  Level speed 4x faster to give players less content.  What, two quest per level is it now ?...........How about Level speed 1x faster and ten quest per level.  If the mass public asked for that, developers would say " no one wants that ".

They make the rules, not the people !

They changed what an mmo is, not the people ! 

They control what the players say they want !

They control the hype !

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    If it releases I will play it. My wallet stays shut till I can play it.
    Nanfoodle said:

My wallet will stay shut until we have some player feed back.......I'm not saying believe everything. Too many people get burned !
    Nanfoodle said:

My wallet will stay shut until we have some player feed back.......I'm not saying believe everything. Too many people get burned !
    I still dont trust anything with my money that comes to Brad. What I do trust is his talent. If the game releases I am sure it will be well worth the money. Of corse thats taking into account this wont be a triple A MMO in scope. I expect something smaller but with depth. 
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Should change the title to:
    Discussion: Everyone will be playing Revival!
    B)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Avanah said:
    Should change the title to:
    Discussion: Everyone will be playing Revival!
    B)
    Ya wont touch that title. No thanks!!!!
  • Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293

I'll check it out if it gets released.  I'll either wait for feedback from players after release or try it if they have an open period before release.  I would say that you are still looking at 3 - 4 years before getting close.

No use getting excited before then...

Not to get too off topic, but Revival has some pretty fatal flaws in its intended design. While I like a lot of what they propose, they fell back on the old fallacy that the only skill based combat is aim based. That and the blatant P2W system they claim is actually a way to reward those who've most contributed to "the game world."

To me at least, this forum ( Pantheon ), seems to be the most popular of all.

The curiosity good or bad seems to be running strong.

If the game is everything they say it is, and not trying to be a smart ass, but I really think everyone will be playing this game.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Well ... predictions are hard, especially about the future.

Honestly I dont know.

At the moment it seems that I will play this game for sure. And that enough other people will play this game so the whole "group play" part will work out and Visionary Realms will make a good buck or two and continue to exist. Thats all I personally really need.

But I cant read peoples minds. How much will they like this concept of a harsher, less mainstream, more social interaction game ? How well will the game be in the end, and how well will word of mouth spread ? How large is the market we're talking about ? Will Pantheon sell 400,000 initial copies like Vanguard - or rather 40,000 copies ? Will Pantheon in the long run be played by 10,000 people or by 10,000,000 people ?

All in all I think Pantheon will initially clearly attract less players than Vanguard. The world isnt seamless (btw a huge bummer for me). There are less out of combat activities (but I really, really, really dont miss diplomacy at all, and unless somebody builds me a fishing bot, I just dont stand any chance whatsoever, especially since one couldnt reassign the damn buttons one had to press for that one).

My HOPE is for 30,000 players - 10 times the number of bakers. With 450,000$ income per month Visionary Realms should be able to run smoothly, not lay off too many programmers and artists to work on the game itself as well as working on future titles.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Well, as long as you have prof.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Well, as long as you have prof.
    ... ???

Proof ?

Professor ?

Profession ?

What are you talking about ?!?!?

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited October 2015
    Adamantine said:

The op. He totally has prof. (And more prof.)

Powerful evidence. Sign us up!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Adamantine said:

The op. He totally has prof. (And more prof.)
    did you mean this version of prof?

urban dictionary Top Definition
    A dope rapper from minnesota. Part of Rhymesayers Entertainment with Atmosphere, whose latest album King Gampo is too sick.
    Prof: It's how i got this way
    Karma's a dangerous game
    cash out when im on top
    forgive me
    give me