Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shutting down soon

SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
According to some gaming websites, the game that was already on life support for 6+ months is facing imminent shutting down.

The layoffs and that CEO guy interview just made things look bleak and some members of the PFO community are already bracing for the inevitable shutting down.

Do you think they will make it through or do a last resort Kickstarting campaign ?

If not, how long do you think they will be able to keep the lights on?

Shame, the IP is really good, just had bad developers and publishers. :(
If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation

Comments

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Seelinnikoi said:
    Do you think they will make it through or do a last resort Kickstarting campaign ?

Seriously? Who is going to fall for that again?
    You know how it goes, "Fool me once...."

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Kalmporos said:
    Seelinnikoi said:

Seriously? Who is going to fall for that again?
    You know how it goes, "Fool me once...."

Enough people will fall for it (again). Just look at the history of Face of Mankind and APB. Both have been released more than once (though not through kickstarter but early access packages and such) and FoM is about to go down again.

Sad to hear though that yet an other fantasy (semi) sandbox is about to die. Somehow fantasy and sandbox don't mingle too well :(
  • KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Rhoklaw said:
    So I wonder what happens to those who paid for a years subscription, like myself, lol.
    SoL
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Rhoklaw said:
    So I wonder what happens to those who paid for a years subscription, like myself, lol.

Hopefully you'll take something from this. Maybe think twice before commiting a years sub to a game in early access/beta.
    The sooner we all stop paying for unfinished games, the sooner the industry might get it's head on straight and start making quality games again. As long as people keep throwing money at Devs for unfinished games they'll keep taking it happily and if things go tits up, tough shit on those that paid up.
    As the old saying goes, look before you leap.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    There is no way Paizo would make a kickstarter, they know it wouldn't be enough to make this a huge success and it would be pretty bad publicity for them if they did a kickstarter and the game failed.

I just don't see how they would release it with a little polish, if they decide to continue on a Pathfinder MMO I think they would seriously change a lot. Or they would find another company and start from the beginning (it wouldn't surprise me much if they would contact Turbine in this case).
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Rhoklaw said:

Hopefully you'll take something from this. Maybe think twice before commiting a years sub to a game in early access/beta.
    The sooner we all stop paying for unfinished games, the sooner the industry might get it's head on straight and start making quality games again. As long as people keep throwing money at Devs for unfinished games they'll keep taking it happily and if things go tits up, tough shit on those that paid up.
    As the old saying goes, look before you leap.
    Agree, the only company that I can safely dip my hands into my pockets and pay for early access or founders packs, etc... is Blizzard. They have consistently provided top games so I have no fear in getting a founders pack for Overwatch, their next game.

Indie development of games is a minefield and now with PFO barely on life support, it does not bring much confidence either.

Feel sorry for the people who paid 200+ for those founder packs... cant even imagine the guys who paid those 1000+ dollar packages... ouch!

Though, the funny and ironic thing is this video from Gen Con 2015 in which he/she pretends the game is all well and theres a bright future ahead...
    And this was in early August, so they KNEW what was going on already... so why the BS ? :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPgicwdyu7s
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

The game they were making had nothing to do with IP except the name

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited September 2015
    Rhoklaw said:
    That's an exceedingly foolish thing to do for a very low budget, small studio, niche PvP/Sandbox game that's not even solidly in alpha. Hopefully the next time around you won't make the same mistake. I don't mean to be harsh, but really think about it.
  • THEHIGTHEHIG Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I wonder how much Mr. Dancey made off with this time. When will folks learn not to trust him.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Nothing might be a bit much but at least very little. I have no clue why they choose the IP besides to ride on the name and I have even less clue why Paizo accepted it.

There are far better suited IPs for a PvP sandbox than Pathfinder or D&D. If they had to use famour pen and paper IP then they could haved used ARS Magica instead, it would have worked far better (I am not sure but I think CCP still own the rights and they need every cent they can get unlike Paizo).
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Feel sorry for the people who paid 200+ for those founder packs... cant even imagine the guys who paid those 1000+ dollar packages... ouch!

Don't feel too bad for them. If they could afford to throw that kind of money at a game, it likely didn't break their bank.

Either that, or they have some seriously messed up priorities/very low impulse control. In which case they'd have simply thrown the money at the next best thing that came along instead.

On topic: Nope, I don't have much faith in this game pulling through. Originally I hadn't imagined them to fail this hard, but I never had any high expectations about the game given the genre (FFA full loot PvP sandbox) they decided to pursue.

So far of all the Indies chasing the easy money Crowfall's the only one I have some confidence in to actually pull it off. And that's mostly because due to how they've got their campaigns planned. Their game has the potential to draw in a much larger crowd than the very niche group that enjoys what PFO and several others are pursuing.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Pretty much.

"Hey, lets turn an IP that's about a group of players working together to complete adventures into a gankfest where the majority of other players you'll encounter will be enemies!"

Brilliant move.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    Rhoklaw said:
    When it was announced CoH would be sundowned 3 years ago I had just paid my annual subscription fee. They refunded me the pro-rated difference. I expect the same for you if it happens.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    caldeathe said:

It actually had lots to do with Paizo IP. One problem is that people don't realize how little of Pathfinder is Paizo IP, verses how much is D20 (Hasbro) IP, which they can't include.
    They were so scared of being sued they erred on the side of caution.  The lore is all theirs though and the did an absolutely horrific job of trying to incorporate any life into their world.  It was generic.  Which is a shame because the River Kingdoms (the region it was based on) is anything, but generic.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Rhoklaw said:
    Perhaps bad things happen for a reason,now if only SC could fail badly the entire gaming community would perhaps wake up and no longer succumb to marketing tactics and fake promises.

We all make mistakes in life,hopefully we learn from them or that others learn from them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    You can ask for a refund and get it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Alverant said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    When it was announced CoH would be sundowned 3 years ago I had just paid my annual subscription fee. They refunded me the pro-rated difference. I expect the same for you if it happens.
    This is a company that just announced they only have the server paid until the end of the month and have no other properties.  I seriously doubt they will be issuing refunds.

it will be interesting to see what if any backlash Paizo proper gets from this and if they get pressured to make good on all the people with unfulfilled Kickstarter pledges.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    edited September 2015
    This is a company that just announced they only have the server paid until the end of the month and have no other properties.  I seriously doubt they will be issuing refunds.

it will be interesting to see what if any backlash Paizo proper gets from this and if they get pressured to make good on all the people with unfulfilled Kickstarter pledges.

I don't see how GW could issue refunds at all without dipping into Paizo's coffers. They can barely sustain the game and pay the skeleton crew that remains employed.

I honestly hope that they do get pressured to make good on the unfulfilled pledges though, they need to be held accountable, it's time to take responsibility and do the right thing. Paizo is going to take a hit as a result of having to deal with this, but hopefully it teaches them a valuable lesson.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    edited September 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Alverant said:
    Rhoklaw said:

I don't think the backlash on Paizo will hurt their current TT consumer, because they did not back PFO in any real way from the start.  They only had 8000+ total backers and I seriously doubt even 25% of them ever joined the game.  

The backlash from the pc gaming community, especially MMOs, is a different story.  If GW / Paizo shuts the servers down and there are no refunds, this will likely be the last PC game that Paizo ever touches.  

As for Ryan Dancey, hopefully no one is foolish enough to let him near an MMO or PC game again.  Everything he touched turned to shit, and the only reason CCP survived his 3 year tenure is that he was in a position that could do little damage.  EvE was already established before he got there.  

PFO has one shot, that some other developer picks it up and starts from stripping the original design document to its bare bones and going from there.  If that includes approaching Hasbro to include more of the Pathfinder IP, I don't see why that wouldn't be on the table.

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Patience really is a virtue, isn't it? Go figure.....lol
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Bluddwolf said:
     If that includes approaching Hasbro to include more of the Pathfinder IP, I don't see why that wouldn't be on the table.
    That would never happen.  Hasbro and Paizo are not friends.  Hasbro (Wizards of the Coast) is doing really well lately with 5th edition.  They have multiple video games based off their IP now (Sword Coast Legends about to come out.)  Paizo of course could reach out.  Hasbro's response would probably be something along the lines of 'die in a fire.'
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Rhoklaw said:

Same thing that happened to myself and others who bought founders packs for Moonrise. Nothing but a bunch of corporate shenanigans and refusal to even acknowledge the issue of refunds. 

I'm pissed off enough about my $20, can't imagine how people like yourself who spent considerably more must feel. 

As an aside, Jeff Strain and Undead Labs can go f**k themselves. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    No sane company would want to jump into this mess.  Any smart business person simply interested in the IP would let this die and in a few years start from scratch.  

I challenge ANYONE to name one part of what was produced that would entice a company to pay $1-$2 million to buy a piece of it.  The engine is horrendous, they still have a ton of exposure to unfulfilled Kickstarter items and pre-paid game time, their staff is down to 3 people and the buzz is all negative.  Realistically speaking, why would ANYONE invest as opposed to creating their own game from scratch?  There is simply too much baggage and not enough up side.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018