Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two laptops comparison

ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
Hello I have a choice between two laptops (well someone else). One has good specs but with HDD other has less specs, but with SSD.

https://www.dixons.nl/laptop/notebooks/laptop/810301/toshiba-satellite-c55-c-1ct
https://www.dixons.nl/laptop/notebooks/laptop/687341/acer-aspire-e5-571-58y8

She uses it mainly for browsing, skype, youtube and movies. She does not game on it at all. For her it's more importent she can use the laptop for a long time (5+ years). Off these two laptops, which one is better for her purpose?

thanks in advance! 

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2015
    If it's for occasional use in home, then Acer is better. Its better processor + GPU + more ram is more important than Toshiba's SSD.

If she plans to carry it around with her, then I'd suggest a Chromebook instead.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    edited September 2015
    Toshiba all the way.
    Acer's specs are slightly better and completely irrelevant if the person is just doing web browsing and Skype. SSD in Toshiba (which I consider more reliable manufacturer) will result in much better user experience.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    DeniZg said:
    Toshiba all the way.
    Acer's specs are slightly better and completely irrelevant if the person is just doing web browsing and Skype. SSD in Toshiba (which I consider more reliable manufacturer) will result in much better user experience.

50% extra RAM, 30-50% faster CPU and maybe 20% faster GPU are not irrelevant if the plan is to use the computer for 5+ years. The more extra performance there is now, the longer that computer will be usable in the future.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    DeniZg said:
    Toshiba all the way.

I agree with this - SSD has more impact than anything once you get into the "Enough RAM" category, and 4G is enough for a casual user.

That being said, a HDD is also usually not difficult to replace, and is often the only upgradable item on a laptop.

Not that it matters in the specifications argument, but Toshiba does have a bad habit of locking out GPU drivers
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited September 2015
    i would say get the Acer and then recommend her an affordable SSD from Newegg. IMO that is a better choice than the Toshiba. That processor on the toshiba doesnt look tasty at all to me, even for casual use. But i dont know, if i was a casual user i would still not buy any of those.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    I don't particularly like either of them, but if you must then the acer.  With those prices in euros they both seem way too expensive for what you are getting.
  • KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I'd have to agree the HDD on the Acer is easily replaceable and its better specs mean better longevity.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I've only had terrible experiences with Toshiba. Even though its anecdotal, I cannot in good judgement recommend them. Probably the worst part of using a Toshiba for me is that you needed to get their special drivers for GPUs. It felt like I was forced to deal with Toshiba bloat.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    centkin said:
    I don't particularly like either of them, but if you must then the acer.  With those prices in euros they both seem way too expensive for what you are getting.
    Well if you have alternatives for this price class we would love to hear them, but we have been looking around and can not really find a lot better then this. We found this one http://www.paradigit.nl/lenovo-essential-b50-80/20558355/details.aspx as well.