Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Gw2 Review after 1-15 F2P.

Comments

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    Personally, I tried so many times to like GW2 but each try never lasted very long for me.  Just something about it.  Can't put my finger on it though.  I think it may have something to do with it feeling rather bland to me.  Completing hearts and acquiring the100% zone objectives seem a bit contrived.  No randomness to it.  I don't know, it just feels like I am being strung by the nose to complete a "to do" checklist in every zone.
    Funny! Rather than going out and explore folks in Beta complain about not having any direction.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited September 2015
    9ineven said:
    Like I said maybe that's just me but I still think you're being caricatural with the way you come with your arguments, no need to paste the definition since it just fits with what you said previously, in my opinion.

If you don't agree well I got it already and I'm not more right than you are, just opinions... I'm just careful and I hate when people tries to be hypocritical or have too much ego to admit something. Not saying this is the case with you, just sayin'... This is pointless anyway.

Personally I don't see GW2 being childish, I see it being accessible. That's all.

I understand and respect that you or anybody else can perceive it in many possible ways.

We agree on saying that this is subjective anyways :)
    I certainly don't agree about the marketing being subjective.  :)  It's clearly intended for a younger crowd.  "Younger" however is certainly subjective . . . happy gaming in any case !

Oh, yeah, your comment here was only part of discussion that I couldn't understand 

. . .  "I'm just careful and I hate when people tries to be hypocritical or have too much ego to admit something."

Not sure what it is you would like me to admit?  

(K, that was my last two cents, said in peace and goodwill.)  

I never said that "marketing is subjective". That doesn't even mean anything !

I think we don't understand each other, haha.

All I'm saying is that our opinions are obviously subjective.

Not gonna talk about the marketing behind GW2 since there is nothing to say unless one of us worked for NCSoft and/or ArenaNet.
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    edited September 2015
    I dislike this game. Everything felt incredibly trivial and fluffy. Vistas, jumping puzzles, fast travel everywhere, the circular dynamic quests, the limited skill sets... it seemed designed to distract you from its fundamental dullness. As someone said above, it felt as if it was designed towards a younger crowd, or those with terminal cases of ADHD.  
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    They made the game worse for new players, when compared to the original launch.  There's so many restrictions now, because they felt new players were too dumb to figure things out.  All these artificial restrictions distract from the adventure and discovery that was originally launched.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    observer said:
    They made the game worse for new players, when compared to the original launch.  There's so many restrictions now, because they felt new players were too dumb to figure things out.  All these artificial restrictions distract from the adventure and discovery that was originally launched.
    It is based on feedbacks from players though, I think people not used to MMOs got confused. But yeah, it slightly annoys me as well.
    I dislike this game. Everything felt incredibly trivial and fluffy. Vistas, jumping puzzles, fast travel everywhere, the circular dynamic quests, the limited skill sets... it seemed designed to distract you from its fundamental dullness. As someone said above, it felt as if it was designed towards a younger crowd, or those with terminal cases of ADHD.  
    Pretty awesome to see that you like using an untreatable mental disorder as a punching bag!

Limited skill set? Try playing an Engineer Celestial build.

Pretty awesome to see that you like using an untreatable mental disorder as a punching bag!

Didn't realise I was punching anything, but nice to see you use rather supercilious moral indignation as a debating tool. 

Didn't realise I was punching anything, but nice to see you use rather supercilious moral indignation as a debating tool. 
    Re-read your statement then re-read the statement you wrote before that! Tell me again how that comes across?

Re-read your statement then re-read the statement you wrote before that! Tell me again how that comes across?
    Nope, not getting it. My post basically states that a game that provides a lot of distraction might appeal to those with ADHD; it doesn't require you to concentrate on one thing for extended periods of time. 
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Nope, not getting it. My post basically states that a game that provides a lot of distraction might appeal to those with ADHD; it doesn't require you to concentrate on one thing for extended periods of time. 
    And which MMO does?  Everything you listed is part of the themepark leveling process, but at least GW2 offers more variety to the leveling process.  It's supposed to be a distraction, otherwise you only get the generic questing system.  Thankfully, most MMOs now offer alternative avenues to leveling, instead of grinding for mobs like it was in the past.
    And you use an actual medical condition to insult young people... Yeah, I don't see either of you winning the moral contest here.

Either you like the game or you don't that is a matter of taste. That is all fine but you don't have to rub it in peoples face and treat anyone who have a different opinion as a moron, that only works i talkshows..
    Loke666 said:
    And you use an actual medical condition to insult young people... Yeah, I don't see either of you winning the moral contest here.

Either you like the game or you don't that is a matter of taste. That is all fine but you don't have to rub it in peoples face and treat anyone who have a different opinion as a moron, that only works i talkshows..
    On reflection it probably was a misplaced remark.  One clarification though: -

If I were to say, "at the zoo you can see penguins and tigers" it is not intended as an insult to either penguins or tigers, likewise with my last sentence.   
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Loke666 said:
    observer said:
    It is based on feedbacks from players though, I think people not used to MMOs got confused. But yeah, it slightly annoys me as well.
    ANET wanted a New player experience.....then they should have implemented that for new accounts not new characters.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I thought the leveling was above average.  I enjoyed the storyline as well as exploring.

I thought teh dynamic quests in each region were a massive letdown of endless programmed sequences.  they made it sound more dynamic and interesting.

I HATED combat in instances, I thought it was really chaotic and prefer the normal trinity.  WvWvW was a zergfest and my computer couldn't handle teh big battles.  The same goes for world bosses which was the worst design I've seen.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Honestly if you find 1-15 boring (2 hour grind for me) then you will hate the fact that most dungeons say lvl 30,40 ect but it will be difficult. I grew up with the same as you and i find GW2 a nice change of pace. I have been with it from launch and have a lvl 80 of every class. Your complaints are your own though some seem quite childish....hello kitty? really? have you played hello kitty online? :P. As for tank you can go necro/guardian/warrior for tank ele/guardian/engi for healer and every thing for DPS. You are looking at GW2 as your normal type of mmo when it is not.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    You only need 15 levels to tell whether a game is bad or not. While I don't think GW2 is bad, it's a really watered down MMO that won't satisfy a hardcore fan of the genre. Should have been single player imo.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    9ineven said:
    I don't agree at all on that: 

"There are clear reasons to argue it is intended for younger crowd . . . T for teen rating, cartoonish graphics, voice emotes congratulating you on leveling up or using a certain skill, unicorn longbows, cutesy mini-games . . . ."

My point is that as a player point of view, this is subjective.

As a marketing point of view, if they can market a game to be T then better for them, the target audience is larger and that's what you search for generally. It does not mean the game is clearly designed just for teens.
    Sure, I understand where you are coming from.  And I agree  T rating is for a larger audience, which includes teens.  

What I'm saying is that because of the major inclusion and marketing toward a younger audience there is little to entice an adult gamer such as myself.  (meaning i speak solely for myself and firmly believe others might have different experience)

You might think such a thing as a unicorn bow, cartoonish animation, easy learning curve, ect.  is subjectively geared toward a younger crowd.  But I'm sure the people behind those elements had an idea of marketability in their minds.  So even though our opinions are subjective, the strategy behind a T rating and the general elements of the game are not.  They were placed there for a reason, in direct relation to their intended and largest audience. 

The game is just as mature as other mmos. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's geared towards teens. You must pass on a lot of games if you don't like cartoonish games. Not everything is designed like age of Conan you know.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• TreadworthyTreadworthy Member UncommonPosts: 56
    fivoroth said:
    9ineven said:
    I don't agree at all on that: 

"There are clear reasons to argue it is intended for younger crowd . . . T for teen rating, cartoonish graphics, voice emotes congratulating you on leveling up or using a certain skill, unicorn longbows, cutesy mini-games . . . ."

My point is that as a player point of view, this is subjective.

As a marketing point of view, if they can market a game to be T then better for them, the target audience is larger and that's what you search for generally. It does not mean the game is clearly designed just for teens.
    Sure, I understand where you are coming from.  And I agree  T rating is for a larger audience, which includes teens.  

What I'm saying is that because of the major inclusion and marketing toward a younger audience there is little to entice an adult gamer such as myself.  (meaning i speak solely for myself and firmly believe others might have different experience)

You might think such a thing as a unicorn bow, cartoonish animation, easy learning curve, ect.  is subjectively geared toward a younger crowd.  But I'm sure the people behind those elements had an idea of marketability in their minds.  So even though our opinions are subjective, the strategy behind a T rating and the general elements of the game are not.  They were placed there for a reason, in direct relation to their intended and largest audience. 

The game is just as mature as other mmos. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's geared towards teens. You must pass on a lot of games if you don't like cartoonish games. Not everything is designed like age of Conan you know.
    I already explained my point.  I also said it was great game.  I wont explain again just because you failed to comprehend earlier posts.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I dont know....Something is missing with GW2....I cant put my finger on it but I just don't feel like logging in....It doesnt have anything that turns me away, but it doesn't have anything that leaves me wanting more either......Like someone said earlier, GW2 is kinda like RIft in that it just feels like it doesn't have a soul.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    paul43 said:
    I've watched many Gw2 videos on youtube, and have a good idea what the game is about, now that it went F2P I figured I would give it a try.   There was another very posetive review here, and I figured I would write my view.

*Client, 20GB download, you can start playing after 6GB. 20GB is a little small even for a 2012 game, expect not that good GFX and reuse of models.

* Music - The music is pretty bland, a couple of decent songs, they didn't recive any awards for the OST. You can listen to the entire OST on soundcloud.com/arenanet  With 80 songs it's hard to make them stand out.

* Quest system - It's a very automatic quest system, you eneter a area and quest pops up what you need to do. They've tried to hide it but most quests are just simple kill quests. The good thing is you can choose which of the objectives you want to do, you're not forced to find that last trap, you can just kill one more bear for example. The bad part of this quest system is that you don't have any story, why you're killing some stuff is not so important.  You don't even need to see the NPC you're helping. Sometimes you can complete a quest to help a farmer without having visited the farm.

* Event system, so far it's alright, breaks up the incredible dull questing system. 

I hope to get to lvl 30 so I can get a look at the first dungeon but this game is killing me for many reasons.

I grew up when fantasy was on the cover of AD&D books, Conan movies with Arnold, and Conan comics. Brutal and relative realistic.

This game is made for people who grew up with Hello Kitty and  Pokemon, yesterday I had a quest to dance for a Cow to make it happy while pink hearts came out of the cow, after the dance the cow thanked me in English.

My Necromancer looks like a Emo girl. I usually play a Tank and this game has no Trinity, hence why I'm a Necromancer. 

It's going to be hard to get to 30!

Heaven forbid that I would challenge the position of someone that has watched many youtube videos, but do you realize that 1-15 areas are for people learning how to play, not take on challenging content.  Anyhow if you're looking for "brutal and realistic" then maybe you should check out the ESRB ratings and select a game that suits your interests rather then being caught offguard by the lack of brutal realism in a "Teen" rated game. Oh, and one last thing. During character creation, you get to decide what your character looks like, so don't complain about it, because it really is your fault. Guess you might have missed the character creation videos though, here is a link 

Thanks for playing though,  it's been swell.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TreadworthyTreadworthy Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Despite not being a game made for my age group, I was impressed and bought GW2 for my 12 year old nephew.  Now my sister is mad at me because he is playing it too much.  Not sure if it was a wise gift or not.  But he loves it without a doubt.  Now my sister is giving him only a certain amount of time to play it each week, which he seems to be handling well :)  (he's using most of time saturday mornings)
  • 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    This MMO is the best to play it casually like this yeah.
    Loke666 said:
    ANET wanted a New player experience.....then they should have implemented that for new accounts not new characters.
    Maybe they should have just made it so for the first character you level up but I don't see it as a biggie. We do have plenty of up to lvl 20 scrolls and you soon get a bunch of level up books as well.

This way was probably easiest.

Besides, the mastery system is way nore interesting for us vets. A lot of players will have 80 reverants 5 minutes after the expansion releases.

Despite not being a game made for my age group, I was impressed and bought GW2 for my 12 year old nephew.  Now my sister is mad at me because he is playing it too much.  Not sure if it was a wise gift or not.  But he loves it without a doubt.  Now my sister is giving him only a certain amount of time to play it each week, which he seems to be handling well :)  (he's using most of time saturday mornings)
    A wise woman. She can also use it for bribing him to do homework and cleaning up his room for a little extra time. :)

But I am not sure why it would be a game for certain age groups, I know people over 60 that plays. Adding nudity and gore like AoC honestly doesn't make the game feel more mature. As for difficulty, I had a C-64 when I was 13 and a lot of games on it (most in fact) beats anything today.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Here's my take on GW2:

The heart quests stink, the crafting is horrible and the classes feel to similar to me.

But, for the initial investment, it is well worth buying for something to play when you hit burnout on your main MMO.