Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Master of Orion - Not So MMO, But Big on Roleplaying the Galaxy a Previews at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageMaster of Orion - Not So MMO, But Big on Roleplaying the Galaxy a Previews at MMORPG.com

Nope, Master of Orion is not an MMO. It’s even less of one than the mega-popular World of Tanks from Wargaming. But when the founder of Wargaming wins a bidding war to secure the MOO franchise because he’s a dyed in the wool fan, you want to see what will come of such a nostalgia grab. And so it was with trepidation that we stepped into Wargaming’s booth this year to see how the reboot of one of PC Gaming’s most vaunted series was coming along…

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I have such good memories of MoO and MoO2. I also remember my computer chugging away for 15 minutes when I finished a turn in MoO3 before crashing my first/only game. I hope these guys do better.
  • asfaraslarryasfaraslarry Member UncommonPosts: 31
    More specifically regarding the Multiplayer: If it 'is', is it 'co-op'. If it's not co-op, where I can play with at least 3 other friends against AI opponents (1 v 7 up to 4 v 4, for example) then it's not really helpful. I'm surprised at how well Age of Wonders 3 came out in that regard.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    I hope it's more MoO2, or MoO1 for that matter, than MoO3. Will keep an eye out for it.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    DX9 graphics and no mention of windows 10, sounds like the name isn't the only thing they are bringing from the past. I will still buy it though :)
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Games like Master of Orion, Ascendancy, and Master of Magic had me hooked until 4am during weekend high school days!
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    MOO2 was one of my earliest gaming loves back in the day. I spent hours upon hours playing. I would love to pick up this latest edition, but no Windows 10? I regret upgrading my OS more and more.
  • SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    I have all 3 copies still but not able to play them on my current system will I be able to play these on my current system?
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Yeah, the mention of Windows 10 compatibility is conspicuously absent. I'll hold off purchasing until they announce specifics on that. No point in pre-buying if I can't play it.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    So no Win10 specifications, but really if it works on Vista, 7, and 8 what are the odds of it NOT working on 10?
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    "Most" things work on Windows 10 so I wouldn't worry about it...

That said... WebEx just stopped working on windows 10 as of a day or two ago (it worked prior to that).  So who knows!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    I absolutely love the Masters of Orion Series. Masters of Orion two was one of my early game "loves", so to speak. Having said that, I actually got into the Masters of Orion III beta (back when you had to apply and I would get discs sent to me of the latest builds). In truth that game was such a disappointment. I really hope this encompasses MOO II. This is a definite buy as long as previews seem good.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    MOO were great games, if they can get just a little of that feeling back, then it will be worth it.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    The lack of mentioning multiplayer usually means it won't have any. Even if it's currently undecided, they'll have to begin to add it sooner or later. In theory you can simply slap it on top of any existing game, but in practice, that usually doesn't work out well. If it has multiplayer i wouldn't worry too much about coop, after all, you can simply agree not to attack each other or make alliances like with the AI.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    MoO is a great franchise. Let's hope they do it justice, unlike the MoO III effort. I think the galaxy lore would make for a great MMORPG setting!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2015
    Samhael said:
    Yeah, the mention of Windows 10 compatibility is conspicuously absent. I'll hold off purchasing until they announce specifics on that. No point in pre-buying if I can't play it.
    A list of some other games that aren't compatible with Windows 10:
    -Fallout 4
    -Witcher 3
    -Star Wars Battlefront
    -The Division (doesn't work with Win 8 either, you'll need Win 7 or earlier)
    -Might & Magic Heroes VII
    -GTA V
    -Assassin's Creed Syndicate

And Trove should get a special mention for supporting only Windows Vista 32 bit edition.

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Vrika said:
    Samhael said:
    -Fallout 4
    -Witcher 3
    -Star Wars Battlefront
    -GTA V

And Trove should get a special mention for supporting only Windows Vista 32 bit edition.
    My 64 bit Win 7 is confused by your last statement, since Trove runs just fine on it.
    edited September 2015
    Vrika said:
    Samhael said:
    -Fallout 4
    -Witcher 3
    -Star Wars Battlefront
    -GTA V

My 64 bit Win 7 is confused by your last statement, since Trove runs just fine on it.
    I was trying to point out that it's surprisingly common to not mention anything about Win 10 in system requirements.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    My memories of MOO 3 where spending hours developing my first system fully then saying ok its time to expand lets send a ship to the next system and ... "Your ship will arrive in 63 turns". Hopefully they learn some lessons from Civ in the creation of the new one.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    ZeGerman said:
    My memories of MOO 3 where spending hours developing my first system fully then saying ok its time to expand lets send a ship to the next system and ... "Your ship will arrive in 63 turns". Hopefully they learn some lessons from Civ in the creation of the new one.
    MOO3 as released was just awful.  Infogrammes (Atari) was pretty terribly run; they had fired the original producer, then jury-rigged a new scheme on top of the original without actually getting them to work very well.  They produced one patch only (and did so only because some of the lower devs were being diligent). Eventually, modders fixed a ton of the problems though.   A shame, some of the aspects of MOO3 were better than 1 and 2.  But as a whole it was a pretty brokedown release.  

Kudos to the new company for getting a bunch of the old team back together.   Definitely interested to see what they come up with.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Vrika said:
    Samhael said:
    -Fallout 4
    -Witcher 3
    -Star Wars Battlefront
    -GTA V

Where ever you got your list it is wrong. 

Not sure why MOO 3 was so criticized, always worked fine for me, I still play it occassionally.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Great memories of those games.  Let's keep our collective fingers crossed.

I self identify as a monkey.

edited September 2015
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:
    Samhael said:
    -Fallout 4
    -Witcher 3
    -Star Wars Battlefront
    -GTA V

Where ever you got your list it is wrong. 

Not sure why MOO 3 was so criticized, always worked fine for me, I still play it occassionally.
    The list is not wrong. I don't know why Master of Orion and all the games on my list do not mention anything about Win 10 in their system requirements, but for some reason or another they do not mention it.

My list is correct, and there's something shady going on with system requirements.

With some games on my list (Trove and the Division) it's clearly the case of devs mentioning only the first Windows version the game works on. GTA V and Witcher 3 naturally wouldn't have mentioned anything about Win 10 since they were released before Win 10.

Then there are Fallout 4 (requirements taken from Amazon.com), Star Wars Battlefront (alpha system requirements leaked by someone), Heroes VII (taken from their official website), Assassin's Creed Syndicate (taken from Amazon.com), and now Master of Orion that list both Win 7 and Win 8 in their system requirements but do not mention anything about Win 10.

Everyone knows (or should know) that those are all new games and they will work on Win 10, but for whatever reason the devs are listing both Win 7 and Win 8 in their system requirements with no mention about Win 10.

The only game that actually mentions Win 10 in its system requirements that I found while making the list is Mad Max.

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Speaking of multiplayer, does anybody remember TEN for MOO2? It was supposed to allow multiplayer but I could never get it to work. My cousin and I had some fun hots eat games though.