Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have given up on MMOs - It seems that survival games are actually going there

13»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Kyleran said:
    I'd be more interested in survival games if they were more about survival against the environment and less about the greatest danger being your fellow players.

Its the old balance issue again, like PvP and PvE, but here its Player V Environment. I think to really interest me it has to be more than just PvP too. I can play great PvP games, just adding some MMO elements to a shooter is not enough.

That said I have not tried any out, and if you wait too long the a WoW survival game will come along and we will have missed the boat. :D

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Kyleran said:
    I'd be more interested in survival games if they were more about survival against the environment and less about the greatest danger being your fellow players.
    Play ARK on a PvE server 
    Then it becomes a gathering game from what i hear.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Survival games are pretty a FOTM thing, in 6 months time there will be something new and 'edgier' just have to look at how ARK replaced DAYZ in that kind of game category.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:

If you wait too long the a WoW survival game will come along and we will have missed the boat. :D 

Lol, I can just imagine that, haha.
  • svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Phry said:
    Survival games are pretty a FOTM thing, in 6 months time there will be something new and 'edgier' just have to look at how ARK replaced DAYZ in that kind of game category.
    ARK has hardly "replaced," DayZ as the games are so drastically different. I played on a PVP server in ARK, and all it ever amounted to was someone waiting until I logged off and then griefing the hell out of me. Practically zero player interaction.

And if survival games are flavor of the month, a month is pretty damn long wherever you are from. The genre is here to stay, because it appeals to the sandbox crowd. Until someone makes a sandbox MMORPG that is, you know, good... survival games will continue to be popular. That said, it would be nice if even one of them would actually release so we can stop with the "but its alpha!" excuses.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Rhoklaw said:
    Well, I know you seem to think a lot of old school MMORP gamers didn't like old school MMORPGs. I don't know where you get this idea from because I'm pretty sure a lot of the vets would agree that UO, EQ, SWG and so on were much better MMO's then games today, except for a slight few. I didn't dabble too much in UO, but I definitely played the crap out of EQ when it launched.

The problem is EQ is old, as in 16 years old, but guess what. EQ is still going, has 20 expansions and doesn't seem to be losing much steam anymore with it's core fans much like Eve Online. EQ is one of the definitive games when it comes to what RP gamers love about online games. So many games that have come out over the past decade are simply shallow in comparison when it comes to game features that EQ launched with.

MMO's today do not resemble anything what MMORPG's did 15 years ago. Sure, they are prettier. Animations are smoother. However, a beautiful game isn't what true RP gamers want. We want features, role play elements and big open worlds to explore and adventure in. Aside from ArcheAge, there hasn't been diddly squat produced that comes close to old school MMO's.
    If someone tries tennis once and quits, you don't call them a tennis player. So no, I don't seem to think a lot of oldschool MMORPG gamers didn't like MMORPGs, because by definition the only people we would call oldschool MMORPGs are those who enjoyed the genre and played it a lot back then.  I do think a lot of gamers gave the genre a try and left.

The reason they left is they had other games which consistently provided them with interesting gameplay, while early MMORPGs were extremely diluted by timesinks, downtime, and similar wasteful activities.

Nobody denies there's a core group of gamers who enjoyed EQ, as there is in nearly every game out there. EQ's core group is inarguably bigger than a lot of games, but it was the game's poor retention of most other players that prevented it from ever really hitting it big (maxing at ~450k subs in its prime.)

Similarly nobody's really talking about RP gamers as there isn't really all that much interest in that type of play in videogames. (If people want to RP, they mostly do it with tabletop RPGs not videogames.) Is there interest? Yes, but it's extremely limited.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    YashaX said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:

If you wait too long the a WoW survival game will come along and we will have missed the boat. :D 

Lol, I can just imagine that, haha.

I would LOVE a Warcraft sandbox game. I wouldn't care if it had WoW's graphics and engine.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    edited September 2015
    Hariken said:
    Kyleran said:
    Play ARK on a PvE server 
    Then it becomes a gathering game from what i hear.
    It certainly does, until you tame something to do the gathering for you. The game got a lot less repetitive after I tamed my first Stegosaurus, now I spend two minutes gathering enough berries to feed me and two Steg' and make some narcotics. Once you get a small army of carnivores gathering meat ceases to be a problem too. You do however need to do a lot of repetitive tasks to get to that point, worth it IMO for the sense of achievement when you've got your little dino army and base together. Stone, metal, wood, thatch...the list goes on, if you don't want to gather it's deffo not the game for you :)

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I personally love resource gathering games/gathering simulators, as long as there is some crafting involved, and bonus points for story.  I actively hunt for single-player gathering games - currently in the middle of Farm Fables (which has crafting but no story), and some of my past favorites have been Ranch Rush and Vampires vs. Zombies.  I'm not really fond of the worker placement variety, which taming Dinos would fall under, but it's hard to argue with the idea of owning tame dinosaurs.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.