Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 going Free to Play Aug. 29th. 0.0?

2»

Comments

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Malabooga said:
    Well, I would say that cashflow has clearly been an issue from very soon after release. That combined with the consumer's lack of appetite for "living story" as opposed to an expansion. I can believe it... in all honesty I dread to think how low the number of regular players currently is. 

But I bear in mind that one arm of a company sometimes has to cover the loss of another... eg. WS. 
    Their revenue was actually up this last quarter and they have posted strong numbers ever since release. Where are you getting this idea that they have a cash flow problem?
    it has been below forecasts from day one. I do not care about this game either way, but as an investment it has been underwhelming. 
    What forecasts? You're just making shit up.
    I can't post a link so we may as well stick with your line.  It has made a huge return for investors.  
    Of course you cant. But then theres heap of links to NCSofts financial reports if youre REALLY interested in how much $$ GW2 made so far. It was even an article about it on this site.

So no, you dont have to make shit up, you can just educate yourself and aviod brainfarts like this.
    Jut to be clear, I am fully aware of what GW2 made. I can't post links so obviously that is fodder for whiteknights.  
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    People still confused about this? Buying the expansion gives the base game. That doesnt make it F2P because you cant play unless you buy HoT. And the only way you can play without owning HoT is buy buying the base game before HoT launches.

Also, the few trustworthy people from IGN left that company a while ago.

As for the raids, i dont mind. More content is always good. Even though im not a raider i would be interested in experiencing raids without trinity.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Well IGN awalys IGN.... ..... 
    Still buy2play
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Wouldnt trust anything coming from IGN.. let alone a message not confirmed by Arenanet at all. Don't really think GW2 would go f2p without announcing it months/weeks before they actually go it.
    You mean the way Zeni lied to the TESO players about going f2p?

You can bet that if IGN said it is fact then it is fact.
    Saying the base game makes it all the more believable,that is the new trend from developers to lure more people into buying the newest expansion.

I can see how it all makes sense to them,they make all their money on the initial sales and if  players not on board had to buy both,they wouldn't have the players.I would sort of expect some lame gimmick like they did when GW2 was released claiming rewards for those who bought gw1.
    In this case i would assume no way to play just the new xpack w/o the original game ,so this was a must idea to sell the expansion.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    From the GW2 site...

"Today we’re happy to announce that the Guild Wars 2 core game is available for everyone to play for free. With Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ launching soon, there’s no better time to introduce the game to your friends."

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Distopia said:
    From the GW2 site...

"Today we’re happy to announce that the Guild Wars 2 core game is available for everyone to play for free. With Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ launching soon, there’s no better time to introduce the game to your friends."
    Yep, stumbled upon this on their site as well.  Either somebody on the site team misunderstood the memo, or base GW2 is F2P.  It's really ingenious..  As it gives plenty of time for new players to get hooked and invested into their characters right before the expansion hits.  Kudos to marketing.

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    So where are all the hardcore players now? We told them they would do this we told them they had population problems and they denied it for years! LOL

The most recent reports have been below 20 k a month and they are hemmorhagging players so often that map changes happen every twenty minutes for most! So of course they have to try to appeal to the masses suddenly to get players back because they messed up with all of their early promises that put their sales well over 3 million and caused them to have to stop their online purchase of the game because of the potential this game had. Sad really. I'm a supporter of F2P but not as an afterthought and games that go F2P after having so many trust issues with the developers are a tell tale sign that there are several things wrong.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited August 2015
    So where are all the hardcore players now? We told them they would do this we told them they had population problems and they denied it for years! LOL

The most recent reports have been below 20 k a month and they are hemmorhagging players so often that map changes happen every twenty minutes for most! So of course they have to try to appeal to the masses suddenly to get players back because they messed up with all of their early promises that put their sales well over 3 million and caused them to have to stop their online purchase of the game because of the potential this game had. Sad really. I'm a supporter of F2P but not as an afterthought and games that go F2P after having so many trust issues with the developers are a tell tale sign that there are several things wrong.
    The most recent reports?

Can you please link to the most recent "reports" about how they have less than 20k people playing a month? All we ACTUALLY know is that their most recent quarter (released on July 31st) was their best quarter in over a year and the game has overall remained fairly steady ever since release.

Why would you lie about "the most recent reports?" Why would you fabricate a fantasy about the game when there is hard data out about what they are making every single quarter?
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Must be.
    Those 20K players a month are spending $18.5M a quarter or $3050/month/player.

$3050 each month per player talk about Hardcore again.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

The most recent reports?

Can you please link to the most recent "reports" about how they have less than 20k people playing a month? All we ACTUALLY know is that their most recent quarter (released on July 31st) was their best quarter in over a year and the game has overall remained fairly steady ever since release.

Why would you lie about "the most recent reports?" Why would you fabricate a fantasy about the game when there is hard data out about what they are making every single quarter?
    I wonder what people buy in game for gw2 to do so well. I know costumes not only thing people buy.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

The most recent reports?

I wonder what people buy in game for gw2 to do so well. I know costumes not only thing people buy.

Gems to convert to gold.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    bcbully said:

Gems to convert to gold.
    Yeah, but character slots, bag slots and bank slots are selling a lot. Then you have small stuff like transmutation charges and similar who also sell a bit. It adds up.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Loke666 said:
    bcbully said:

Gems to convert to gold.
    Yeah, but character slots, bag slots and bank slots are selling a lot. Then you have small stuff like transmutation charges and similar who also sell a bit. It adds up.
    Also remember that in games with cash shops, a huge percentage of people that are playing never spend a dime. And in GW2, it's especially easy not to since gold rolls in so easily and you can convert it to cash shop currency if so inclined.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Loke666 said:
    bcbully said:

Gems to convert to gold.
    Also remember that in games with cash shops, a huge percentage of people that are playing never spend a dime. And in GW2, it's especially easy not to since gold rolls in so easily and you can convert it to cash shop currency if so inclined.
    I have done it that way in gw2 but it took abit of time to farm up the gold to get something really nice from the cash shop, is not so bad if people have the time to farm.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited September 2015

next time actually read the latest reports to avoid brainfarts like this post of yours.