Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have given up on MMOs - It seems that survival games are actually going there

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
Real sandbox, skill based, building, crafting, need for social interaction.
I dont even mind player limit. Smaller map an less players means closer knit society.

(And i am talking about second wave. Not DayZ that is nothing more than unfair shooter.)

So tell me about your favorite survival game ?

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm enjoying ARK atm.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    I play Space Engineers right now, but I agree with your assessment.

And, consequently, the person who identifies the one thing that survival games do, that MMORPGs used to do, will get a cookie.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Survival games are just as shallow as all the rest of the game.Build some cheap looking wooden walls,most of the game usually looks ugly.They also have NOTHING to offer the SURVIVAL theme that any other mmorpg doesn't already do.

You kill creatures you avoid creatures you die to creatures,you craft yeah real innovative.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    All the zombie based ones are kind of meh. I also think they go zombie themed because it is easier to create zombie AI. Zombies don't have to be smart, just strong and come for you in a straight line.

Of all the survival games in Early Access on steam I find Ark promising. Main reason is that it lets you already create a dedicated server so that you can host your own server. It needs a lot of optimization still though.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I'm enjoying ARK atm.
    Playing Ark, too. Smaller virtual worlds tend to have closer communities, so I'm liking the direction these multiplayer survival games have headed in. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Loktofeit said:
    Smaller virtual worlds tend to have closer communities, so I'm liking the direction these multiplayer survival games have headed in. 

I like smaller communities too. Games with big communities are tailored to be entertainment for masses and individuality tends to drown in them.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I'd be more interested in survival games if they were more about survival against the environment and less about the greatest danger being your fellow players.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Real sandbox, skill based, building, crafting, need for social interaction.
    I dont even mind player limit. Smaller map an less players means closer knit society.

(And i am talking about second wave. Not DayZ that is nothing more than unfair shooter.)

So tell me about your favorite survival game ?

Check out 7 days to die, its zombie survival. You dont build pre made walls and roofs you actually build it piece by piece. so you can make anything you want, or you can dig and make a underground base. The game is still in alpha, and they are still pumping out alot of updates as they move closer to a beta stage.

Its pretty cheap on steam, but i suggest checking out some youtube videos on it first and make sure its the kind of game for you. also remember its still in alpha so there are going to be bugs and stuff so if that kind of thing will make you rage quit then dont waste your time.

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Kyleran said:
    I'd be more interested in survival games if they were more about survival against the environment and less about the greatest danger being your fellow players.

That's so true! I'd love to play a co-op PvE survival MMO in a very harsh and hostile world where players have to help each other a lot. 
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I played Ark Survival for the first time this last weekend. Wow I had no idea these games take it up a notch when it comes to staying alive! The game looks really beautiful and is full of dinosaurs, friendly and foe:) So I got on youtube to get some starting hints and the higher level stuff looks insane what you can do in game. My only gripe would be that everything decays and you better make sure you put the time in or lose everything!  
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Yanocchi said:
    Kyleran said:

That's so true! I'd love to play a co-op PvE survival MMO in a very harsh and hostile world where players have to help each other a lot. 
    Try Planet Explorers.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Kyleran said:
    Definitly agree....

Havn't followed undeadlabs the last few month to know what they are cooking currently because I could only imagine while playing State of Decay how great it would be if the game would be co-op or a PVE centric online version.

Think give me a mix of State of Decay + Dying Light as a PVE online game and I'd sure would be happy!
    Give those who want to PVP a flag system for open world PVP so that you do not need a seperate PVP/PVE server. Don't mind Fallen Earth style PVP area's where certain towns or area's could only be visited once you where flagged, so enter at your own risk.

To be honost there are allot of survival online games that do tick some of what I want but just wished they where made so you could feel less forced. 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    It's nice that so many survival games are out there and have some pretty complex crafting systems. I'm pretty sick of the zombie theme that's really prevalent in the genre though. ARK looks to be the most different out of the typical zombie b.s.

I'm happy we're getting exploration games too, like No Man's Sky. Nothing like exploring the universe to chill out after a rough work day.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited August 2015
    I preferentially choose the ones that don't require player interaction, but A Tale In The Desert, Wurm Online, and Xsyon are some that had more player interaction than I wanted, so maybe they'd fit for you.  The thing with these types of games is, you really have to join when a server is newly made or reset, unless you're just playing to learn how to play and don't care about your place in the economic or social hierarchy.

ATITD has no combat, figured I should include that fact in case combat was part of your definition of 'survival'.  For me the definition is about crafting and gathering from the land.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I played Ark on the (free) weekend and was really impressed. It ran fairly smoothly for me and I got a nice buzz when I finally got the hang of how to survive.

I think there is still some issues to iron out in the genre concerning pvp and destruction of  bases etc when a player is offline. Personally I also prefer a more medieval style theme or swords/sorcery type fantasy. Looks like there are a couple of survival games based on that theme but they have poor reviews. 

I think you are on to something though Lobotomist, this seems to be something of an evolution or offshoot/alternative for traditional mmos that also probably captures some of the magic that may have been lost as mmos have gotten bigger and more streamlined.

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Ark player here.
    Game has a living breathing world that is trying to kill you.
    Even 400 hours in with a high level toon i have to watch my step (private server Increased difficulty)
    This game is more MMO than many of the so called MMOs on this site.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Kyleran said:
    Yeah same problem I have with them also.....Instead of striving to rebuild mankind they are the ones killing everyone.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.  I always get the newest survival game (except ARK cause I learned my lesson from H1Z1) and the game quickly devolves into a douchefest.  I.E. gank central.  I'd love to see a PvE centric Survival Game set in a fantasy setting where the players have to overcome an undead legion invasion. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Kyleran said:
    Yeah same problem I have with them also.....Instead of striving to rebuild mankind they are the ones killing everyone.
    ARK has PvE servers so you can just worry about the environment and not the players. I've been having a blast with it on a PvE server.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    I'd say that survival games create a world whereas most modern MMOs are creating a game instead.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Old mmos used to be nearly survival games in difficulty. It is not a far cry to say some modern survival games are more like classic mmos than modern mmos are. I've said so much before a few times.

I see most modern survival games are much, much smaller and simplified mmos. Take ARK, make it far larger and add more complex systems, fantasy lore and you'd have the modern evolution of a classic mmo. 

You stay sassy!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    I always found it amusing that oldschool players criticized the huge new wave of players as "not true MMORPG players" when the genre finally realized it needed to provide traditional videogame RPG mechanics to do well. These newer players were the same sort who enjoyed previous videogame RPGs, and MMORPGs eventually became the MMO versions of those earlier RPGs, and yet the oldschool players ridiculously implied they weren't really MMORPG fans.

It's even more amusing that now some of those oldschool players are realizing videogame RPGs weren't what they wanted. All along it was they who weren't "true" MMORPG players. They wanted survival games or virtual world games, but not RPGs.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I don't have a favorite yet. There hasn't been one that really nails the PVE survival early game as well as late game. There are several that have a great coop opportunity in various challenges they present, though. Often times, when I play these it's all brutally hard until learning how it all works but then after the skill and crafting progression it gets too easy.

Played...
    Space Engineers- Lot of fun building stuff. Not much as far as PvE dangerous yet. Not fun wrecking days of work.
    ARK - Did the weekend demo. Very unforgiving but huge progression and coop opportunity.
    H1z1 - Hasn't been a very fun 'survival' game. Too much of lousy PvP and non-threating PvE world.
    Don't Starve Together - 4 player Coop version of the sp game. Lots to do with a hostile and changing world.

Singleplayer roguelike/survival
    Don't Starve, FTL:Faster than Light, This War of Mine, Invisible Inc.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Tamanous said:
    Old mmos used to be nearly survival games in difficulty. It is not a far cry to say some modern survival games are more like classic mmos than modern mmos are. I've said so much before a few times.

I see most modern survival games are much, much smaller and simplified mmos. Take ARK, make it far larger and add more complex systems, fantasy lore and you'd have the modern evolution of a classic mmo. 
    I agree, maybe thats why im finding alot more fun in these survival games. they remind me of old school MMOs. you have to explore, defend yourself and really try to survive in a world that is trying to beat you down!

no instances no LF/Tank/healer crap, just go out meet people explore the land trade some food/water/resources what ever you need to stay alive or build a base.

and the best part, no NPCs with little shiny ( ! ) above their heads sending you off to get rat tails.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    ARK addict here.. I haven't been so addicted to a game since EQ in 1999. I frickn love it.  I'm playing on a PVE server with the difficulty cranked up.  Everyone on there is very kind and helpful.  It feels more like an MMO than any MMO that's out today.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."